Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Just Assorted Stuff Today

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Still not posting it itt, but under the present circumstances, today's 9CL could be described as an adventure in excruciatingly bad timing. If it moves you the way it moved me, be sure to act on that feeling.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 29, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean makes a case against writing your own vows.

Crankshaft presents your first lesson from the Walter Crankcase School of Zany Comedy Names.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire And The Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's beginning to feel like "old IP adopted by modern webcomic artist" is one of the worse outcomes for a strip. I really need some jokes from Sunday Popeye that aren't "I've read the character wiki." It also strikes me as distinctly anti-Popeye to avoid showing action so much. Decent throwaway chuckle on the expendable first two panels at least.

Jucika "300 - Jucika And The Polite People From Pest"

"Autóbusz = bus"

301 - Jucika And ''Who Knows What?''

"''Who Knows What?'' was a Hungarian talent show that ran from 1962 to 1996.
Műszaki Hiba = Technical Problem
Vége = End"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 27, 2022

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Vikings

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lunch🍔

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Doomykins posted:

It's beginning to feel like "old IP adopted my modern webcomic artist" is one of the worse outcomes for a strip. I really need some jokes from Sunday Popeye that aren't "I've read the character wiki." It also strikes me as distinctly anti-Popeye to avoid showing action so much. Decent throwaway chuckle on the expendable first two panels at least.

It feels like it's just the Something*Positive characters cosplaying Popeye characters.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Doomykins posted:

It's beginning to feel like "old IP adopted my modern webcomic artist" is one of the worse outcomes for a strip. I really need some jokes from Sunday Popeye that aren't "I've read the character wiki." It also strikes me as distinctly anti-Popeye to avoid showing action so much. Decent throwaway chuckle on the expendable first two panels at least.

yeah i think "s*p but everyone is popeye characters" is our future for this strip. maybe randy can get out of his rut, and it sucks for popeye as popeye until and if he does

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The next legacy strip in need of a reboot should be handed over to the creator of Boston and Shaun.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Shelley and Holly are clearly in the midst of a big night out. You can tell, because Shelley’s wearing a leopard-print coat. I’m not drawing that again. Assume that it’s stolen from a cloakroom sometime later in the evening.

I thought “so much in love” was a Charles & Diana headline from before they were married, but I think I imagined it.

John Allison posted:

Hugo’s faithful sidekick Ronny B was never pictured face on in Scary Go Round – by his own request. He has recently relented and allowed his young likeness to be shown.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

I don't care if he blamed it on Stan Lee later on, "march the rainbow bridge to true nirvana side by side" is just loving awful.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Doomykins posted:

It's beginning to feel like "old IP adopted my modern webcomic artist" is one of the worse outcomes for a strip.

I said a while ago that Heart of the City, even with its mixed reception, is still currently the best outcome of this formula and I stick by it.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Comic Strips 2022: Mornin' Choad

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Growing up I spent my summers on an island 10 miles off the coast of New Hampshire. Every week on Wednesday the ferry would bring over a load of tourists on a day trip. We savvy kids would rush out to the granite rocks with claw hammers, chip off tiny flecks of mica, sell them as "authentic Star Island mica" to the daytrippers at 50 cents a pop, then blow all our profits on candy and lime rickeys from the snack bar. It was a great racket and seeing Amelia take the fanny pack guppies like this has brought enormous joy into my day. Best comic strip character in the best strip.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

The cost of fame.

Mark Trail

Goatbusters would be bustin' goats, which is clearly not what they want in this situation.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I'm sure this will go over well with Diana.

Pooch Cafe

"We're all trying to find the guy who did this!"

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"I'll beat the poo poo outta her!"

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Cute and effective visual gag.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (May 29-30, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Aug 8, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 11-12, 1991)

LMAO x2

No Blind Alley today

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Junk Drawer is great.

Vargo posted:

I said a while ago that Heart of the City, even with its mixed reception, is still currently the best outcome of this formula and I stick by it.

Agreed! It's not my speed but it's consistently good for what it does.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't perfectly keep up with the thread, but Hart of the City's apparent role as a lightning rod for animosity is very funny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Howard Beale posted:

Growing up I spent my summers on an island 10 miles off the coast of New Hampshire. Every week on Wednesday the ferry would bring over a load of tourists on a day trip. We savvy kids would rush out to the granite rocks with claw hammers, chip off tiny flecks of mica, sell them as "authentic Star Island mica" to the daytrippers at 50 cents a pop, then blow all our profits on candy and lime rickeys from the snack bar.
... google is telling me this is an alcoholic mixed drink? They sold that to kids when you were a kid? :staredog:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like if Mark Trail was Sundays only it would be one of my lowkey favorites in the thread. It still wouldn't be great but it'd always be pleasant to read

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Dawn with the old Weston charm just like daddy :allears: .

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

--

Night Visitors

I choose to read the placement of the stem in the first panel as unfortunate rather than plot-critical…

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

#6: Tomato and Garlic Spaghetti

Sadly, he seems to have scrubbed this animation from YouTube.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Nice cameo by Melon!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Q-Rais do not idolize Chigurh

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't perfectly keep up with the thread, but Hart of the City's apparent role as a lightning rod for animosity is very funny.

It's growing on me. The color scheme is a bit atrocious and I still have a hard time telling adults from children sometimes, but it's let up on the Pop Culture Fandom stuff (which has apparently upped and moved over to "Mary Worth"). I never hated it, I was just very unimpressed

Zereth posted:

... google is telling me this is an alcoholic mixed drink? They sold that to kids when you were a kid? :staredog:

There's a nonalcoholic version. Sonic Drive-Thru sells them

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yeah i think "s*p but everyone is popeye characters" is our future for this strip. maybe randy can get out of his rut, and it sucks for popeye as popeye until and if he does

Thing is, I've been reading Something Positive for a long time, and I don't know if Randy knows how to do action. That strip has a lot of "immediately before" and "immediately after", but I don't think he ever actually portrays an action scene.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Zereth posted:

These were non-alcoholic. Lime juice, sugar syrup, and seltzer, with an extra hit of raspberry syrup if you wanted. They're an old school New England thing, especially on the coast, and you can sometimes still find them at clam shacks and ice cream stands.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I was going to say go to heck tombat but that bedtime BCN was too adorable for me to stay mad.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
NuPopeye is shaping up to be one of my top hate reads of the year. Simply arful.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
i like new popeye :shobon:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't care if he blamed it on Stan Lee later on, "march the rainbow bridge to true nirvana side by side" is just loving awful.
It's corny, but nowhere near as awfully corny as TomBats uses it

Stan Lee posted:

One of the things we try to demonstrate in our yarns is that nobody is all good, or all bad. Even a shoddy super-villain can have a redeeming trait, just as any howlin’ hero might have his nutty hang-ups. One of the greatest barriers to real peace and justice in this troubled world is the feeling that everyone on the other side of the ideological fence is a “bad guy”. We don’t know if you’re a far-out radical, or Mr. Establishment himself — if you’re a black militant or a white liberal — if you’re a pantin’ protest marcher or a jolly John Bircher — but, whatever you are, don’t get bogged down by kindergarten labels! It’s time we learned how fruitless it is to think in terms of us and them — of black and white. Maybe, just maybe, the other side isn’t all bad. Maybe your own point of view isn’t the only one that’s divinely inspired. Maybe we’ll never find true understanding until we listen to the other guy; and until we realize that we can never march across the Rainbow Bridge to true Nirvana — unless we do it side-by-side!

Nekonaughey

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I won't lie, one of my favorite things about growing up in Michigan was that in the summer it didn't get dark until almost 10pm

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

howe_sam posted:

I won't lie, one of my favorite things about growing up in Michigan was that in the summer it didn't get dark until almost 10pm

Yeah, but when you're still young enough to be sent to bed while the sun is out, it's a terrible injustice

I love how absolutely sassy The Girl is, between the angry toothbrushing and the sarcastic lullaby suggestion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 26, 1919

And He Did! July 9, 1919

Cat Tales June 10, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 4, 1936

Mopsy February 14, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out June 20, 1945