Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most video game voice acting should be replaced with Banjo-Kazooie style syllables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bongo Bill posted:

Most video game voice acting should be replaced with Banjo-Kazooie style syllables.

This approach is British, and therefore more dignified.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can now add to this conversation by saying that the true power move is to hire UK voice actors and make them do fake American accents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lym_9iTFL70

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

I can now add to this conversation by saying that the true power move is to hire UK voice actors and make them do fake American accents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lym_9iTFL70

Triangle Strategy did this, too, and also with Emma Ballantine (she's Frederica, and also extremely good)

There are a few times you can tell the actor is not particularly comfortable with an American accent though, like with Rosie Day, who played Cordelia and Decimal (and also Meteion in FFXIV?? huh, would not have placed that)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Clarste posted:

the true power move is to hire UK voice actors and make them do fake American accents

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Modern British English, the official language of the country of Medieval Europe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
every language after sumerian was kinda of a joke, they had secret letters we can't even say

ffx is the one with the language you unlock by perfectly collecting every missable alphabets soup noodle, right? I didn't beat it, I had most of them though. what did it do when you got em all?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You got to unlock Brother's diary where he confesses that he wants to name his first-born child Cloud.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
basically same thing that happens when you get all the letters in hotline miami then

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

You get a bunch of items that are mainly useful for customizing gear, or use in Mix. And then you can make use of it for future save files, letting you understand all the Al Bhed lines from the start.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So I recently picked up Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for the GBA, and I realized that it looks drat near identical to FF Tactics Advance. Is it made by the same people? Atlus published it in the US, although I know Squaresoft published the PSP one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have won the internet, this got here faster than I expected

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Guys, I have four important points to keep in mind:
I'm Captain Basch!
I'm Captain Basch fon Rosenburg of Dalmasca!
Don't Listen to Ondore's Lies!
Basch Lives!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

I'm Captain Basch!
Basch Lives!

this tbh

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Heath posted:

So I recently picked up Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for the GBA, and I realized that it looks drat near identical to FF Tactics Advance. Is it made by the same people? Atlus published it in the US, although I know Squaresoft published the PSP one.

Yes. The Ogre games were made by Quest with a team initially lead by Matsuno; after Tactics Ogre Matsuno wanted to make something with more mass-market appeal and left for Square to work on FF Tactics, taking artists Yoshida and Minagawa with him (and steering music to Sakimoto and M. Iwata.) The remainder of the team stayed at Quest and made OB64 and Lodis, following which Quest was bought out by Square and the team was mostly reassembled (less, notably, Matsuno himself busy with FF12) to make FFTA and FFTA2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FrostyPox posted:

I'm Captain Basch!
Basch Lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyfGm6wXgs

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

:allears:

EDIT: The guy who asked about Star Wars was closer to the truth than he knows

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does he even say those lines himself when he finally shows up?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just ran into the FF6 statue that goes for ~12,000 USD. Its fuckin huge and detailed and I can't fathom who is gonna buy it and put it in their foyer

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Barudak posted:

Just ran into the FF6 statue that goes for ~12,000 USD. Its fuckin huge and detailed and I can't fathom who is gonna buy it and put it in their foyer

a real gamer

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

These Behemoths in Giruvegan hit pretty hard. I think next time I play FFXII I'll have everyone take Knight regardless of what other job I give them cuz my current Knight, despite being pretty low level, is extremely durable and can actually tank the Behemoths pretty effectively whereas my Black/Red Mage gets two-shot (all though he can absolutely demolish the Behemoths as long as he doesn't get hit).

EDIT: Oh, I guess I can go to Montblanc and reset my jobs but I'll need to grind cash to get everyone re-equipped.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 25, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Barudak posted:

My friend is a huge Witcher fan and has all of the giant statues (I forget what company makes them but I think it's the same that made the FF6 one) and they're legitimately pretty sick in person. They're heavy as poo poo too. But he has them as part of his little Witcher memorabilia shelf. They're hand-painted so it really is cool to pore over the detail.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

These Behemoths in Giruvegan hit pretty hard. I think next time I play FFXII I'll have everyone take Knight regardless of what other job I give them cuz my current Knight, despite being pretty low level, is extremely durable and can actually tank the Behemoths pretty effectively whereas my Black/Red Mage gets two-shot (all though he can absolutely demolish the Behemoths as long as he doesn't get hit).

EDIT: Oh, I guess I can go to Montblanc and reset my jobs but I'll need to grind cash to get everyone re-equipped.

Not just Knight, anything beefy can really help out. Monk has a shitload of HP licenses and will probably end up with the largest HP pool in your party. Foebreaker gets heavy armor like Knight and lots of HP, too. Same for Uhlan. When Zodiac Age first came out, Monk/Black Mage was a really popular combo, since it gives your Black Mage a ton of HP and lets them cast high-level white magick, too.

But you can also help by building someone out as a "tank." If you cast the Decoy spell on someone, it applies the Lure status effect and makes most enemies will focus on them. Someone with a high-evasion shield and good defense/HP can have Decoy cast on them and functionally "taunt" enemies and tank for your squishier party members.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It was a pretty questionable choice giving Decoy a high chance to miss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it's real weird and I don't know what the point of it is. I mean it's not the first Matsuno game to let buffs miss, but Decoy's the only one.

SFF removes the miss chance, very good change

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The open world randomiser for XII is really silly, though I haven't figured out how to get a third party member yet, hunting Rogue Tomato got me Ame no Murakumo and the unassuming surcoat bazaar got me Zodiac Eschuton lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love it when I get the thing I want from a mystery box

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
How did his sword fit in the box.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

How did his sword fit in the box.

diagonally

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Maybe I have never paid too close attention, but how did he take that sword to Nibelheim? No way it fit in the back of that truck.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zil posted:

Maybe I have never paid too close attention, but how did he take that sword to Nibelheim? No way it fit in the back of that truck.

Another flatbed truck following behind. Just carrying the sword.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zil posted:

ski rack on top

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It folds, like a canoe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Thread: who is asking for English VA for medieval reasons?

Also thread: what the gently caress kind of name is Clive?

I for one can't wait to Live a Clive even if they are using the cheap voice over.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't wait for the spinoff game where Clive joins an Idol Group to save the kingdom, Love Clive.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zil posted:

Do you think Sephiroth was pissed off that he was being made to ride in the back of a box truck?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Heath posted:

Do you think Sephiroth was pissed off that he was being made to ride in the back of a box truck?

"I'm a war hero, I have a goddamn shampoo sponsorship deal, I don't have to take this..."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Another flatbed truck following behind. Just carrying the sword.

Fister Roboto posted:

ski rack on top

jokes posted:

It folds, like a canoe.

:hmmyes: all great ideas

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is complaining about Clive's name some kind of meme I'm not privy to? It's an uncommon but not completely rare name here (about as rare as Cecil is really) and I'm baffled as to why so many are complaining about it being a weird name but are okay with names like Bartz, Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Vaan or Noctis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh I get it because I think Cloud Strife is a cooler name than like, Claude Strauss or whatever the "actual" kana reading of his name is