Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Fighting one deathsquito at a time is easy, just stand your ground, track it while it orbits you and shoot it in the face when it lines up for its attack run. Two at once, or one plus any other plains enemy, that's not so simple. But at least if you're trying to sneak around the outskirts and get caught, you can definitely take on one deathsquito with any gear level. If you're out running around and you hear the buzzing but you don't see it, immediately start dodge rolling until you get sight of it. Otherwise you are likely to be dead before you find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Deathsquitos really aren't that bad. The only problem with them is that they attack from so far away that you might get ganked before you even noticed there's a plains nearby.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
One of my great enjoyments in survivalcraft games is going to places I have no business being in, yoinking whatever resources I can, and running away benny hill style from a parade of high level angry mobs. Dathsquitos are fine because you can at least gonk them - they don't have a lot of HP and you can probably one shot them if you're lucky and in like bronze or better. Just take it slow, turn up your volume, and get ready to swing.

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

The Root set chest makes deathsquitos almost trivial, it like halves their damage. It sucks against everything else in the plains, true, but lox and fulings are much easier to avoid.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Deathsquitos really aren't that bad. The only problem with them is that they attack from so far away that you might get ganked before you even noticed there's a plains nearby.

yeah 80% of my deathsquito deaths are when I'm just sailing around on a boat looking for stuff lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah 80% of my deathsquito deaths are when I'm just sailing around on a boat looking for stuff lol

That's the one that scares me most. I'll deal with them or make the corpse run while on land. One of them bastards will fly a half mile out in to the ocean when you're not looking and pop you in the back of the head just to be a dick.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
You don't really hear them until they're right on you either. Fulings you hear their laugh a mile away

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
One of the best things about the VR mod is being able to smoothly and naturally swat deathsquitos out of the air.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Root armor is love. Root armor is life. 90% of the things that are going to delete you in the Plains are doing pierce damage.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Captain Oblivious posted:

Root armor is love. Root armor is life. 90% of the things that are going to delete you in the Plains are doing pierce damage.

Growths? Lox? Every Fuling except the spear one? I don't know if I agree with this

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pik_d posted:

Growths? Lox? Every Fuling except the spear one? I don't know if I agree with this

Non-spear Fulings have a wind up that lasts a thousand years, Lox you should really be peppering from mid range anyway and Growths likewise.

If you're gonna turn to vapor from a surprise it's going to be a spear toss or a deathsquito in the middle of a chaotic fight.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Funnily enough, my first encounter with Growths came completely out of the blue. I was clearing one of those big draugr villages in a distant meadows area. I saw there was plains close by, beyond a strip of forest, but I didn't notice there was a tar pit right at the edge too.

So I was atop one of the watch towers in the village, minding my own business and sorting out my inventory, when suddenly the top of the tower just loving EXPLODED around me. I was completely dumbfounded and had no idea what the gently caress happened, and just managed to catch a glimpse of the growth that had crept through the trees and go "oh" before it spat another glob and annihilated me and the rest of the tower.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there any gain to clearing those Draugr villages other than maybe getting a sweet trophy? I did it a couple times but it just seems a giant pain in the rear end for very little reward.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Scaramouche posted:

Is there any gain to clearing those Draugr villages other than maybe getting a sweet trophy? I did it a couple times but it just seems a giant pain in the rear end for very little reward.

the glory of the allfather? heard of that???

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Scaramouche posted:

I used one of them as a forward base once, it was of course in the meadows but was surrounded by black forest and tons of pine trees for me to chop up for their core wood

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

Kite a Fusling Berserker over, hop up on a roof, watch the fun. Raaawr!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Scaramouche posted:

Draugr Elite trophies are needed to make Iron Sledges, otherwise, not really unless it's in the way or you want to use the buildings.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

pik_d posted:

I used one of them as a forward base once, it was of course in the meadows but was surrounded by black forest and tons of pine trees for me to chop up for their core wood

I also used the first one I found as a forward outpost. It was near my first swamp. Wasn’t even a full swamp, no iron, but I was able to get seeds which was a victory!

But… I had fun clearing it out. I clear them out now just for the enjoyment of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I spotted my first one close to a big swamp so figured I'd just roll in there and turn it into a base. Maybe keep one of the spawners with walls around it to farm draugr.

Cut to several minutes later when I'm on my boat desperately trying to get far enough out into the water while shooting at the zerg horde of draugr that nearly killed me a couple times. I won but had to do a whole bunch of offshore sniping before I could land again for a second assault.

Was good times, especially that tense push off with multiple elites right on my rear end.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm hosting a server with ValheimPlus and as far as I can tell it doesn't allow disabling dropping items on death. What is the easiest way of doing that?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

I'm hosting a server with ValheimPlus and as far as I can tell it doesn't allow disabling dropping items on death. What is the easiest way of doing that?

This mod'll do that clientside: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/602

Not sure of one that'll do it serverside if that's what you want. The only difference is everyone would have to install the above mod themselves.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Lozareth posted:

This mod'll do that clientside: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/602

Not sure of one that'll do it serverside if that's what you want. The only difference is everyone would have to install the above mod themselves.

Thanks, that did the trick!

Burns
May 10, 2008

The content drought has me considering cancelling the server service.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spent 30 minutes drifting in the ocean like a complete loving idiot because the wind just stopped and wouldn't resume at all.

Then some loving giant sea monster trashed my poo poo little boat and I gulped down all the seawater, losing all my stuff.

gently caress this game.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Spent 30 minutes drifting in the ocean like a complete loving idiot because the wind just stopped and wouldn't resume at all.

Then some loving giant sea monster trashed my poo poo little boat and I gulped down all the seawater, losing all my stuff.

gently caress this game.

Haha yeah that happens

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What are some of your favourite mods that y'all use?

I can't stand mods that add incongruous assets and as a result my mod list is boringly barebones:
  • Valheim Plus
  • CameraMod (love being able to zoom right into first person view)
  • Immersive Hud
  • NoLensDirt (boggles my mind that there's no official option to disable this effect)

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

anatomi posted:

What are some of your favourite mods that y'all use?

AnyPortal -- allows for selection of any destination portal, rather than requiring a 1:1 origin/destination pairing; i.e. build one "Main Base" portal and then just select my destination portal from it.

TorchesEternal -- fires, torches, etc. all burn infinitely and don't require wood / resin upkeep.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

gently caress this game.

At the lowest speed setting on a ship, you row and continue to move some distance / are able to turn even into the wind. Not enough to keep you from being slain by a sea monster, but enough so you're not usually sitting in the middle of the ocean very long. YMMV on the raft.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah when serpents show up you’re usually better off sailing with the wind even if it’s not the direction you wanted to go. And if you’re totally becalmed you can row to get some distance - usually best to head for the nearest shallows in that case.

You can also plink the serpent with arrows and they’ll usually run away if they take enough damage.

The stuff you were carrying will still be on a floating gravestone so you can totally go recover it. All is not lost!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I only played this game with a half-dozen friends a year ago and went back in because I liked it a lot. but holy poo poo this game is incredibly unfriendly and unfun while alone. I killed the deer boss and was having a good time then it all just goes to poo poo. I've banked over 100 copper ore, but cannot find a single tomb to go after bones and cores, and "the forest is moving" turned out to be nearly twenty greydwarves and their upgraded cousins that just destroyed everything I own and killed me three times in a row. Troll hides, bronze and even upgraded leather are all behind the same progression gate and it sucks. there are some very easy changes they could make to enable smoother progression but none of that has happened

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Don’t kill the first boss until you can survive the black forest. If enemies attack, go outside. If you can’t kill them then run in circles around your base until the timer expires.

Thank you for attending my Valheim tutorial.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the wind just stop on the ocean, unless that’s something new/a mod thing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the wind just stop on the ocean, unless that’s something new/a mod thing.

The only thing the wiki says is "The strongest possible wind is 20 times stronger than the weakest." which makes me think the range is 1 m/s to 20 m/s, or possibly km/h. I've never seen the wind die on the ocean either, but it's probably a bell curve so you hardly ever see min or max speeds, and @ZogrimAteMyHamster just got owned by the RNG. 1 m/s or 1km/h would feel like no wind tbh.

Edit: Never mind, the wind is 100% deterministic and you can see exactly what it'll be at what time in what biome here: http://valheim.kirilloid.ru/weather#1 @ZogrimAteMyHamster what day are you on in game?

pik_d fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 10, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All I know is I messed with the wind on the console and got capsized by it pretty much immediately

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

drat, what did you set it to?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't remember but I assume I probably mixed up the numbers for velocity and direction so set it to max velocity.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

All I know is I messed with the wind on the console and got capsized by it pretty much immediately

Well I know what I'm doing next time I log in

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pik_d posted:

Edit: Never mind, the wind is 100% deterministic and you can see exactly what it'll be at what time in what biome here: http://valheim.kirilloid.ru/weather#1 @ZogrimAteMyHamster what day are you on in game?

That seem like such a weird way to determine wind direction.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

i say swears online posted:

I only played this game with a half-dozen friends a year ago and went back in because I liked it a lot. but holy poo poo this game is incredibly unfriendly and unfun while alone. I killed the deer boss and was having a good time then it all just goes to poo poo. I've banked over 100 copper ore, but cannot find a single tomb to go after bones and cores, and "the forest is moving" turned out to be nearly twenty greydwarves and their upgraded cousins that just destroyed everything I own and killed me three times in a row. Troll hides, bronze and even upgraded leather are all behind the same progression gate and it sucks. there are some very easy changes they could make to enable smoother progression but none of that has happened

If you get stuck, you can use https://valheim-map.world/ to find most stuff including tombs/crypts. I used it to find the merchant when I first started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

i say swears online posted:

same except swamp. i forgot how loving anti-fun the swamp is, just pure, miserable garbage grind, and it's even worse solo. think imma wait till they finish mistlands and maybe i can play the update with a group again. its so easy to fix, too... 10-20 iron + goo + ancient bark = rain cape, prevents rain from getting you wet. give it lovely armor value to balance it out, easy.