Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tae posted:

How does recruitment work, can you only do it with certain characters controlled? I recruited Hapi while playing as edelguard, but killed Constance while using Petra and had the strategies to recruit both.

You have to activate the strategy before the battle and, most importantly, not kill the unit before you can activate it with the pop-up that appears. Otherwise you finish the "kill X" mission and the game won't recognize the strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I had the "recruit Constance" thing popping in my face for a full minute and nothing happened.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zore posted:

And then you recruit Shamir and you do it by promising you won't kill Catherine

Goddamn Shamir and Ashe really do not want to be here. Everyone else has kind of settled in but they're both still very 'I'm here because you threatened someone I love and now I need to fight other people I love. No poo poo I'm not happy'

I was a bit surprised when I recruited Petra and got a cutscene of Edelgard saying "with her defection I guess we'll have to actually conquer her kingdom". Both interesting it was acknowledged and ice cold.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tae posted:

I had the "recruit Constance" thing popping in my face for a full minute and nothing happened.

Did you activate the strategy by holding >, I nearly forgot on my first recruitment after the tutorialized one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah that one shouldn't require anything more than activating the strategy, I don't think, I recruited Constance just fine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zore posted:

Hubert spends most of Scarlet Blaze's side quests and paralogues finding new ways to be a good friend and it's kind of hilarious.

Goddamn Shamir and Ashe really do not want to be here. Everyone else has kind of settled in but they're both still very 'I'm here because you threatened someone I love and now I need to fight other people I love. No poo poo I'm not happy'

Most you can do with anyone. The strategy will tell you if you need to do it with a specific person and will warn you if you try to deploy without them. On SB so far this has been Raphael needing Ignatz and Mercedes needing Jeritza

That Shamir stuff is surprising given how she gladly sides with Edelgard in CF. Doubly so given how loving ice cold she is when she kills Catherine.
C: We have nothing in common, not our backgrounds or our beliefs.
S: Not the way we lived, or the way you'll die

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bruceski posted:

I was a bit surprised when I recruited Petra and got a cutscene of Edelgard saying "with her defection I guess we'll have to actually conquer her kingdom". Both interesting it was acknowledged and ice cold.

Yeah they acknowledge basically every recruit. SB has some fun cutscenes with Claude where he's like 'Well almost half the class is here, the ones that didn't go work for the Empire'

Eimi posted:

That Shamir stuff is surprising given how she gladly sides with Edelgard in CF. Doubly so given how loving ice cold she is when she kills Catherine.
C: We have nothing in common, not our backgrounds or our beliefs.
S: Not the way we lived, or the way you'll die

I think it makes sense though, relationships shouldn't track 1:1 with 3 Houses because there's a huge period of time where things are going radically differently. In 3 Houses Shamir leaves immediately and joins up with the Empire when Edelgard declares war. In 3 Hopes she's spent at least another 3 years partnered with Catherine and doesn't leave willingly. I can understand how the same person would react radically differently in those circumstances

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 26, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bruceski posted:

If you don't recruit her and Petra dies, the cutscene instead has Edelgard honoring her sacrifice by sending off a missive to her grandfather freeing Brigid from the Imperial yoke.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Is there any point to mastering lots of classes on different paths? I still haven't figured out what exactly I'm getting from mastering classes, but I have some intermediate seals, and I have characters who have finished mastering intermediate classes.

Also, now that I have the blacksmith and can upgrade weapon durability, I'm wondering what that even is...

I haven't had a weapon break on me mid-battle, and I'm not surprised since you only get one per character, so if weapons don't break, what is durability even for?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zore posted:

Hubert spends most of Scarlet Blaze's side quests and paralogues finding new ways to be a good friend and it's kind of hilarious.

Most you can do with anyone. The strategy will tell you if you need to do it with a specific person and will warn you if you try to deploy without them. On SB so far this has been Raphael needing Ignatz and Mercedes needing Jeritza

On Azur Gleam, there's been some... interesting implications behind the recruitment one person in particular. Specifically, Petra. There's a very ugly implication that she's only fighting for the Empire because she personally likes her classmates, and she's been promised/threatened things regarding Brigid. She flat out says in camp lines that she gives exactly zero shits about fighting Empire troops, she just doesn't want to kill her classmates. There's also story scenes after the first chapter about happenings in the Alliance and Empire. The Empire one is notable in that it changes if you recruit her, because Hubert comes back and reports that Petra was captured rather than killed, and Edelgard gives an extremely uncomfortable "We'll have to... reconsider... our stance on Brigid" line.

On the other hand, Hapi was only part of the Empire army because someone (probably Constance) dragged her there after the battle of Garreg Mach - she's super unenthusiastic in her opening battle line, and her camp dialogue mentions how it'd be really awkward to run into "someone", but other than that she's basically perfectly fine switching sides. Though this does bring up the somewhat amusing issue of Hubert dragging said incredibly low morale and unenthusiastic leader along on the super important mission for some reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Inu posted:

Is there any point to mastering lots of classes on different paths? I still haven't figured out what exactly I'm getting from mastering classes, but I have some intermediate seals, and I have characters who have finished mastering intermediate classes.

Also, now that I have the blacksmith and can upgrade weapon durability, I'm wondering what that even is...

I haven't had a weapon break on me mid-battle, and I'm not surprised since you only get one per character, so if weapons don't break, what is durability even for?

Durability is used for your spells/weapon art attacks.

And yeah you get other skills and weapon arts/spells for mastering other classes. But most of it is fluff until you're really trying to minmax a character, you're perfectly fine just taking people down a single line you like.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

On Azur Gleam, there's been some... interesting implications behind the recruitment one person in particular. Specifically, Petra. There's a very ugly implication that she's only fighting for the Empire because she personally likes her classmates, and she's been promised/threatened things regarding Brigid. She flat out says in camp lines that she gives exactly zero shits about fighting Empire troops, she just doesn't want to kill her classmates. There's also story scenes after the first chapter about happenings in the Alliance and Empire. The Empire one is notable in that it changes if you recruit her, because Hubert comes back and reports that Petra was captured rather than killed, and Edelgard gives an extremely uncomfortable "We'll have to... reconsider... our stance on Brigid" line.

On the other hand, Hapi was only part of the Empire army because someone (probably Constance) dragged her there after the battle of Garreg Mach - she's super unenthusiastic in her opening battle line, and her camp dialogue mentions how it'd be really awkward to run into "someone", but other than that she's basically perfectly fine switching sides. Though this does bring up the somewhat amusing issue of Hubert dragging said incredibly low morale and unenthusiastic leader along on the super important mission for some reason.

I think its also really interesting that character deaths can play a huge role.

Like in SB Ingrid gets merked really early and its one of the biggest reasons the rest of the Blue Lions have for continuing what they see as a losing war and not joining up with the Empire even after the Alliance gets involved. Because none of them want to betray what she died for.

And it tracks too, the only Lions you can recruit on SB you do before Ingrid dies. And both of them are special cases that you emotionally blackmail them into (Ashe being blackmailed with how Lonato will feel to lose another son, Mercedes with Jeritza crying). And neither of them really wants to be there and will keep talking about how much they regret it.

Meanwhile you can poach 5/8 of the Deer and most of them get on board with the Empire real quick.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zore posted:

Yeah they acknowledge basically every recruit. SB has some fun cutscenes with Claude where he's like 'Well almost half the class is here, the ones that didn't go work for the Empire'

I think it makes sense though, relationships shouldn't track 1:1 with 3 Houses because there's a huge period of time where things are going radically differently. In 3 Houses Shamir leaves immediately and joins up with the Empire when Edelgard declares war. In 3 Hopes she's spent at least another 3 years partnered with Catherine and doesn't leave willingly. I can understand how the same person would react radically differently in those circumstances

Also to be fair, while Catherine is never a good person ever, in CF she's at her absolute worst.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zore posted:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hubert is easily one of the best Fire Emblem characters ever.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Bert is great, I agree

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I love my rude goth son

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also FYI for anybody who's a loving moron like I am: if you hit the minus button while you have the tactics map up it'll show you what the S rank requirements are for the battle you're doing, and how close you are to them.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's okay, it took me a good long while to realize that the battle prep screen shows you what enemy types are in the stage.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And me? I just noticed that there's an "optimize" button on the character convoy screen that just autofills all the gear, abilities, battalions, and combat arts

No idea how optimal it really is (especially if you're going crazy and mastering every class so as not to waste training points) but it's nice to have for when you're feeling lazy.

Actually speaking of mechanics, I have a question; what exactly does the orange bonus icon next to party members mean? The one that appears on two people who haven't fought in a while, the one that's there to encourage you to cycle in lesser-used characters.

I know it gives you a catch-up bonus, I just can't specifically remember what, and I can't find the info anywhere else either. Is it bonus level xp, or class mastery?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I thought the xp bonus icon was the white circle around a characters face? I'm not sure what the orange one is, possibly food bonuses or particularly high morale?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

And me? I just noticed that there's an "optimize" button on the character convoy screen that just autofills all the gear, abilities, battalions, and combat arts

No idea how optimal it really is (especially if you're going crazy and mastering every class so as not to waste training points) but it's nice to have for when you're feeling lazy.

Actually speaking of mechanics, I have a question; what exactly does the orange bonus icon next to party members mean? The one that appears on two people who haven't fought in a while, the one that's there to encourage you to cycle in lesser-used characters.

I know it gives you a catch-up bonus, I just can't specifically remember what, and I can't find the info anywhere else either. Is it bonus level xp, or class mastery?

It just gives a level XP bonus for everyone at the end of the stage. I think its 20% per bonus star character you have deployed?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alacron posted:

It's okay, it took me a good long while to realize that the battle prep screen shows you what enemy types are in the stage.

And when you select a unit it will show you how they fare against everyone. Unless you're deploying on the left side of the map, in which case the people who will murder them are covered up by the menu options.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lord Koth posted:

I think it’s funny that as part 2 starts up in AG Hapi flat out says that the only reason she’s stuck around is Shez. Who hasn’t done something stupid for a crush like being take as a prisoner in a war and switching sides?

Also (big AG spoilers for the end of part 1) i sort of assumed that the core nobles of the empire would be kill or be killed but according to someone in my camp after Ferdie’s lovely evil dad took power Hubert and Ferdie apparently went missing, it would be hella funny if one or both made their way to my camp to help exact their revenge for turning Edie into an Attack on Titan

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zore posted:

Durability is used for your spells/weapon art attacks.

And yeah you get other skills and weapon arts/spells for mastering other classes. But most of it is fluff until you're really trying to minmax a character, you're perfectly fine just taking people down a single line you like.

Is that why I sometimes can't do a combat art or spell in the middle of a mission? Is it something like, the more durability your weapon has, the more times you can use the combat art in a single map? I assume there must be something on the screen that shows me that I've used up the durability for that map, right?

Maybe I should do a practice battle at the training grounds and actually look at all of the UI. I feel like I still don't get how half of the mechanics work. I just found out there are skills you can equip, and I haven't been equipping them up until now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Inu posted:

Is that why I sometimes can't do a combat art or spell in the middle of a mission? Is it something like, the more durability your weapon has, the more times you can use the combat art in a single map? I assume there must be something on the screen that shows me that I've used up the durability for that map, right?

Maybe I should do a practice battle at the training grounds and actually look at all of the UI. I feel like I still don't get how half of the mechanics work. I just found out there are skills you can equip, and I haven't been equipping them up until now.

Next to the r-button menu is weapon durability. Each art uses a certain amount, purple crystals (dropped or from purple pots) refill some of it. Gimme a moment and I'll take a screenshot.

It's the 59/59 on the right there.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 26, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bruceski posted:

And when you select a unit it will show you how they fare against everyone. Unless you're deploying on the left side of the map, in which case the people who will murder them are covered up by the menu options.

The up and down arrows should show up on the minimap when you have a character selected too, so you can see at a glance what you’re in for.

It’s fun trying to think of class/battalion/adjutant combos that let you exploit the triangle to its fullest extent; and that’s before you remember that weapons/combat arts let you counter even more things. I bet if you set things up just right you could be a supersoldier that can counter everything on the map.

Re: durability points, it’s a little weird that it shares the same name/icon as three houses, because it works completely differently in this game. Just think of it as mana, basically; you spend it to use combat arts/spells, and you get it back from the purple crystals that drop from pots and enemies. I don’t remember if anything bad happens if you hit 0, I don’t think I ever have.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm finding the UI non-obvious at first glance, so:

Equipment, abilities and class can all be changed through convoy, under the primary menu. After choosing an unit, use ZR and ZL to switch through the equipment, abilities and class tabs; battalions and magic/weapon skills are under the equipment tab.

Pressing the right stick when messing with an unit equipment(/abilities/class) shortcuts to the unit info screen; click the right stick again to go back to convoy.
The third tab in unit information is the what the gently caress does this person do unit guide; use Y there to switch between the person's how-to and the class' how-to.

unrelated edit: Ferdie's personal ability is "I am Ferdinand von Aegir" :allears:
and it's a good one :allears:

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 26, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Since I have the screenshot I may as well do a UI overview. Ideally this would include labeled numbers, but I can't be arsed.

On the left is your character. HP, special gauge, and class-specific gauges (in this case it's a special base strong attack that charges up uses)
Above them is your controllable allies. The Axe is the batallion he has equipped, not his weapon.
On the right by durability you have two combat arts/spells, your Awakening Gauge (why don't they put this with the other gauges instead of right on the button), and vulnaries.
Unit-specific actions are on ZR in the corner.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I got Hapi and another girl from chapter 4 black eagles route - how do I turn one in to a pegasus warrior?

e: I have enough mages

Dort = mage
Petra = theif
Edelgard = axe maniac
Bernie = archer
Annette = bishop or something? Maybe I can make her a peg knight?

mst4k fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 26, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I always forget awakening is there yeah, they could have stood to present that better. Though it always feels like battles end before I can use it anyway (playing on easy) so whatever I guess

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

nuketulsa posted:

I got Hapi and another girl from chapter 4 black eagles route - how do I turn one in a pegasus warrior?

Train them as a Soldier and then go down that tree.

General advice for everyone, you should be unlocking a bunch of different classes for everyone you're using (and maybe a few extra) and level those classes up instead of just sitting as one class and letting all that class exp go to waste. If you press Y twice when looking in the class tree, you can see what abilities you get from those classes. Don't feel restricted by preferred classes. Some characters shine far greater in roles they weren't "meant" for.

Brigand is great for practically everyone, since you either get Death Blow or Wild Abandon, both of which are great, and which then leads to Wyvern Rider, which gives some characters Offensive Tactics, which is a flat 20% boost if you have a Battalion equipped.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Terper posted:

Train them as a Soldier and then go down that tree

Blah I missed that, thanks man

Terper posted:

Which is a flat 20% boost if you have a Battalion equipped

Wow, nice!!!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

One more dumb question, if I replay an older mission it doesn't increase supports or anything like that at all right, reward and gold only?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

nuketulsa posted:

One more dumb question, if I replay an older mission it doesn't increase supports or anything like that at all right, reward and gold only?

Replaying missions will give you everything a regular mission does, exp, class exp, money, items, weapons, support points, so on and so forth.

You can't get multiples of clear bonuses though, like if you got a bullion for your first clear or S-ranking the stage you can't get another by doing it again. And I'm just assuming but I don't think you can recruit characters on a replay.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, you need to balance giving out orders for time and switching characters for KOs, because I did the forst GW paralogue and ended up running out of time for S-rank due to delaying the main mission too much. Also probably should farm a bit to forge my equipment for more damage there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alacron posted:

Replaying missions will give you everything a regular mission does, exp, class exp, money, items, weapons, support points, so on and so forth.

You can't get multiples of clear bonuses though, like if you got a bullion for your first clear or S-ranking the stage you can't get another by doing it again. And I'm just assuming but I don't think you can recruit characters on a replay.

Yeah the popups specify you can't recruit characters or do anything that affects the plot (this'll come in later) on a replay. Also on permadeath mode deaths DO count in replays.

As for characters off their default class, Dorothea is an AMAZING pegasus knight for me. The sweeping lance attacks work really well with her unique skill.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there any use for facility upgrade items after you’ve already unlocked everything on that tier? Ie, I’ve already unlocked all the basic supply depot upgrades; can I just sell/trade my storage bags for stones, or do I want to hang onto them for some reason I haven’t seen yet?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For my first playthrough of games like this, I always like to keep characters in their ‘canon’ classes, so my SB playthrough is Mage City right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Inu posted:

Is that why I sometimes can't do a combat art or spell in the middle of a mission? Is it something like, the more durability your weapon has, the more times you can use the combat art in a single map?

Yes. Also, using your combat arts will level them up which induces a flat 2 decrease for a total of 4 decrease in durability cost when you master a Combat Art/Spell at Lv. 3, which means the more you use it in battle, the more you'll be able to use it in general.