Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think you missed the point.

No, I understand your point; I just don't think it's a huge chasm to see a 25-percent difference between "it's very lovely out there" and "my personal situation is lovely or very lovely," particularly given inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

But this is mirrored by Dem voters; you can see the lines in the graphs literally cross each other & move in opposite directions beginning in Jan. 2021 as to whether a party's voters thought the economy was doing well or poorly.

Indy voters, otoh, started out much closer to Dems in sentiment about the economy and now have moved much closer to Republicans.

Only 30% of Dems think the overall economy is doing "fairly" or "very" well right now, but their personal economic situation stats are still very different. So, it isn't an issue of Democrats' partisan perception of the economy, because they 2:1 say it is bad.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Could it correspond to a greater sense of precarity? "Sure, my situation is good now, but that could change at any moment, so I would describe the economy overall as quite bad."

This would be my guess. That said, that's been the case for a long time, but so many businesses and livelihoods imploded in the last 5 years that I wouldn't be surprised if that precarity is felt much, much more strongly.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MadJackal posted:

The Internet Leftist hot takes are that the Democrats are magically responsible for the overturn of Roe v Wade, while mainstream Democrats were saying all along, "If you give these nuts any amount of power, bad things will happen."

And the Internet Leftist hot take in 2016 was Don't Vote Democrat.

Internet leftists lost in 2016. You got what you wanted with Hillary, not only did she win the nomination, she got more votes than anyone ever until it happened again when you got what you wanted with Biden.

You loving dipshit libs keep getting the outcome you want out of the conflict with leftists and when your own choices result in bad outcomes you get mad at the people who had the audacity to want something better.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Only 30% of Dems think the overall economy is doing "fairly" or "very" well right now, but their personal economic situation stats are still very different. So, it isn't an issue of Democrats' partisan perception of the economy, because they 2:1 say it is bad.

It may not just be Repubs who lie on polls "I'm doing fine but I see people struggling" is a rather common idea at the moment.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I think you misunderstood my point, which was that overall sentiment about how the economy is doing usually tracks by voter party preference.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Please don't ever be my doctor. I don't go to the teddy bear clinic so I'll be fine but drat this is dumb.

I'm amazed that you haven't taken the CSPAM conspiracy route that I never was one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Here's one of the graphs I was talking about; this one's notable bc of the decline among voters of both parties over the last year but the criss-cross effect is still clear:

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Sephyr posted:

Has anyone other than AOC mentioned impeaching the justices that lied under oath on Roe. ? If not, why not? For any power, left or right, that had a serious power project, this would be a once-in-a-lifetime gift: three lifelong seats that you get to try and flip, all at once! And if you fail, at least you showed your base you have some fight in you.
People in political circles and talking heads on TV have been discussing it, but the general feeling is that they were squirrely enough with their answers that outright perjury charges wouldn't land. And then they write it off.

I'd argue that it doesn't need to be perjury to be impeachable. Being misleading should be enough to disqualify a supreme court justice - they should be held to the ultimate standards in our society because they are given the most power with the least conditions. They should be able to communicate their positions with absolute clarity. So unambigious and unnuanced that even Joe Manchin and Susan Collins wouldn't be 'surprised' by it's ramifications.

So I'd shoot for perjury charges on any of them that are still under statute just for the theatre of it (I think it's just 2 or 3?), and then I'd pursue impeachment on all of them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Impeachment requires a 2/3rds Senate vote. I know this has been explained multiple times.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Weird that Dems squandered so much time on it then, really.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MadJackal posted:

The Internet Leftist hot takes are that the Democrats are magically responsible for the overturn of Roe v Wade, while mainstream Democrats were saying all along, "If you give these nuts any amount of power, bad things will happen."

Accelerationism doesn't work in the direction Internet Leftists thought it would.

If the USA turns into some sort of Gilead, the 2016 will be looked at the most consequential election in the last 100 years.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The GOP is literally; handing the Democrats a ticket to reversing the typical losses in the midterm:

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1541116556733726722

Run a national campaign against every Republican running in the midterms that basically has those quotes about a “national ban” and mix that with Handmaiden’s Tale dystopian stuff. Sort of in the vein of LBJ’s classic punch in the gut “Daisy” ad and make it clear that if the GOP wins the midterms they are going to turn America into a theocratic hellscape.

ALSO:

I know many will disagree, but I think the Democratic leadership should publicly admit that not going for a national law codifying RvW was a mistake (as well as not going full tilt when Mitch blocked Garland's nomination). Why should they do this? Because there’s real anger at the party over that and for the appearance of using RvW as a fundraiser rather than strong actions. Disagree, sure. But that anger is real.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

VideoGameVet posted:

If the USA turns into some sort of Gilead, the 2016 will be looked at the most consequential election in the last 100 years.

Only by people with a complete lack of understanding of how history works. It's like blaming a single bad harvest for the destruction of an empire. Most of these issues are multifaceted and are not decided by a single thing. Alongside that if the 2016 election was so vital then the system which gave the loser more votes should perhaps be interrogated further.

I do hope I am not being rude when I talk about this. Thank you.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Discendo Vox posted:

Impeachment requires a 2/3rds Senate vote. I know this has been explained multiple times.

I think people are aware how difficult it would be for the Senate to actually convict them as of now. But context clues shows that people are using "impeach" and "impeachment" as a shorthand for starting the process

VideoGameVet posted:

And then people will wonder how Hillary Clinton managed to lose to Trump and will point out all of the structural and systemic issues.

I must continually reiterate that the Democrats have let abortion rights be eroded for decades. The Hyde amendment is still in place, although I must commend the House and Biden for removing it from their budget. It's the Senate that's holding that up... which seems to be normal.

Also, the Parable of the Sower is much more apt for our situation than the Handmaid's Tale.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It will be interesting to see if they ever get a clear explanation for that. There was a hypothesis that people felt that "shutdowns = bad economy" or that people assumed everyone else was doing way worse than they were because of pandemic aid, but there haven't been major shutdowns or significant changes to pandemic aid for almost 2 years, so those theories seem to be out the window.

Here’s the best way to think about it:

Buncha places you still can’t get adequate childcare at any price.

If you need that and cannot get it and your income and expenses are still fine, you think the economy is still utter poo poo. And it is because you cannot get the goods and services you consider needs. That the metrics are missing that is a problem with the metrics.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, if you're being serious about a "historical" analysis that's not clouded by biases of the time then it'd be a long section with chapters like 2000 Election Crisis - The Bush Era Reactionary Decline - Obama Squandering His Mandate - The Die Is Cast? and then the sentient cockroach students get to write essays about whether humans could have turned things around in 2020 or if things were just too doomed to change.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Only by people with a complete lack of understanding of how history works. It's like blaming a single bad harvest for the destruction of an empire. Most of these issues are multifaceted and are not decided by a single thing. Alongside that if the 2016 election was so vital then the system which gave the loser more votes should perhaps be interrogated further.

I do hope I am not being rude when I talk about this. Thank you.

You're not rude. The electoral college enabled Trump to win with 3m less votes than Clinton. The structure of the Senate gives Wyoming's 579,000 inhabitants the same amount of say-so as California's 39,512,000 million.

Doesn't change my thesis. Trump winning gave us the SCOTUS that is turning the USA into a place the majority of Americans do not want. And unless the Democrats stop being so f-ing concerned with DECORUM, 2025 is going to be a very bad year.

The lopsided electoral/legislative structure is a fact that we have to overcome, there's no alternative path.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, if you're being serious about a "historical" analysis that's not clouded by biases of the time then it'd be a long section with chapters like 2000 Election Crisis - The Bush Era Reactionary Decline - Obama Squandering His Mandate - The Die Is Cast? and then the sentient cockroach students get to write essays about whether humans could have turned things around in 2020 or if things were just too doomed to change.

Global warming has to go in there as the long crisis that finally drove collapse after America ignored it for 30 years.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Internet leftists lost in 2016. You got what you wanted with Hillary, not only did she win the nomination, she got more votes than anyone ever until it happened again when you got what you wanted with Biden.

You loving dipshit libs keep getting the outcome you want out of the conflict with leftists and when your own choices result in bad outcomes you get mad at the people who had the audacity to want something better.

No one here is a "lib" and we all probably voted for Bernie. I am to the left of 99% of the country, and I believe that we need free government healthcare for all, full amnesty for the undocumented, full reparations of $20t+ for black people and natives, and a lot of other things.

The conflict for me has always been when people start advocating for not voting or voting third party. I want all of the above, and not even AOC, nor Bernie, or even a full-on communist will give me all of those things. Bernie didn't advocate for reparations nor full amnesty and mouthing the latter is a nonstarter. So, should I have not voted for Bernie in the primary? gently caress NO, that's braindead doomer poo poo. I "reluctantly" pulled the lever for Bernie, who doesn't represent all of my interests, but promised me more than the other guy. Guess what? Same with Biden vs the other guy! It's like life is a series of choices, with most being a choice between imperfect options.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

Global warming has to go in there as the long crisis that finally drove collapse after America ignored it for 30 years.

I spent my own $$$ building a climate game and eBook that I gave away partly in an attempt to get this into schools to counter the oil/gas funded 'climate' curriculum that is being used all over the USA. I did that just before the lockdown so not much progress, although I did get on the weather channel.

Yeah, Climate Change is going to kick us hard, but it's no surprise that in states most effected (Florida as an example) the GOP leadership that runs the show there simply ignores it as their streets get flooded on sunny days.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The GOP will make insane laws that govern how parents act to the children. They'll make it impossible to live on Min wage and have a child.

It's always signalling. They want to steal children and give them to their base religious supporters.

If you thought rape child abuse and native American child abduction/reeducation was over? Nope now it's going to be class based.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

small butter posted:

No one here is a "lib" and we all probably voted for Bernie. I am to the left of 99% of the country, and I believe that we need free government healthcare for all, full amnesty for the undocumented, full reparations of $20t+ for black people and natives, and a lot of other things.

The conflict for me has always been when people start advocating for not voting or voting third party. I want all of the above, and not even AOC, nor Bernie, or even a full-on communist will give me all of those things. Bernie didn't advocate for reparations nor full amnesty and mouthing the latter is a nonstarter. So, should I have not voted for Bernie in the primary? gently caress NO, that's braindead doomer poo poo. I "reluctantly" pulled the lever for Bernie, who doesn't represent all of my interests, but promised me more than the other guy. Guess what? Same with Biden vs the other guy! It's like life is a series of choices, with most being a choice between imperfect options.

I don’t see how voting for people who want the opposite of what you want does anything. All you’re doing is lending them legitimacy. You vote for a centrist and they can turn around and say that centrism is what the people want.

My question to you is do you have any standards at all? Is there a point at which you wouldn’t vote for a Democrat no matter what? Put another way, if Trump decided to run as a Democrat against DeSantis, would you vote for Trump?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

small butter posted:

I think you have the cause and effect mixed up. The city does not vote for Democrats because they give them good things; Democrats give them good things because they're the majority, consistently.

Most vote for Democrats in NYC due to the culture of the city - Democrats are the only game in town. Some of the wealthiest zip codes in Manhattan vote the HARDEST for Democrats, who promise to keep their taxes high and partly use those taxes to pay for services for poorer people, something that does not directly benefit the rich.

The areas that vote the HARDEST for Republicans, like Brighton Beach, have little old Russian immigrant ladies and their husbands who are all on SSI and Medicaid. These people typically vote Republican. An elderly family friend who is very poor and on Medicaid still votes for Republicans. Staten Island votes hard for Republicans. Italian neighborhoods vote for Republicans.

In most of these instances, the voters vote against their self-interests, either directly or indirectly.

It starts with voting for politicians that you expect to fulfill their promises when they're in power and have the opportunity to do so. When that happens, people will vote for those politicians and that party again. When it doesn't, people will stop believing, because even if the ideas sound reasonable, there's no reason to trust they'll be implemented.

In many places democrats don't have a great track record and the trust is gone.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

theCalamity posted:

I don’t see how voting for people who want the opposite of what you want does anything. All you’re doing is lending them legitimacy. You vote for a centrist and they can turn around and say that centrism is what the people want.

My question to you is do you have any standards at all? Is there a point at which you wouldn’t vote for a Democrat no matter what? Put another way, if Trump decided to run as a Democrat against DeSantis, would you vote for Trump?

But it's not opposite of what I want. It's closer to my ideal, but not my ideal. Bernie is closer than Biden, but Biden is closer than Trump. And ultimately, this poo poo affects others more than it affects me, so I also vote for others.

The question is posed in a way as if I'm getting the choice between German Nazis and Italian fascists. I'm not. Biden is to the left of Obama, who was to the left of Bill Clinton. If a Democrat was worse than a Republican, and said they will not vote for, say, Speaker or Majority Leader, sure, I wouldn't vote for them. If I lived in Cellular's district, yes, I'd vote for him in the general (but not the primary) because he will otherwise get me closer to what I want by giving a majority to the Democrats.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

This seems like nonsense to me. The democrats had 50 years and various supermajorities to codify RvW and they didn't do it. Do you think they would have done so if they won in 2016? Because otherwise we're just having this exact same conversation in three years, or five, or however long it takes this exact scenario to play out, probably with the exact same people in place, the only difference being the year and the degrees of senility on display
RvW being overturned seems like an inevitability simply because the people who want it to happen have a plan and a will to power and the people who are supposed to prevent it and bumbling around asking for spare change and reciting poems

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
:sweep:

Epic High Five posted:

I think it's about time this whole thing got moved to the thread dedicated to the midterms and electoralism generally: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002330. Maybe some progress can be made on the debate with a little more focus.

Also please refrain from attacking posters directly, if I see any more of it and have to wake my dog up to move rooms to hit they're going to start at 18 hours as compensation to elderly terriers.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

We're not talking about the midterms though, Fritz. The RvW repeal is happening right now, is it not a current event?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

You've got a mod attacking posters directly, so it'd be cool if y'all take care of that before asking us to move discussion.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

B B posted:

You've got a mod attacking posters directly, so it'd be cool if y'all take care of that before asking us to move discussion.

Actually he was posting as a poster, not a mod, and as such cannot be held accountable. Just like every other time he's done that

e: Hopefully this is counted as posting about moderation instead of posting about posters so I don't get probed. Gray area!

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

small butter posted:

But it's not opposite of what I want. It's closer to my ideal, but not my ideal. Bernie is closer than Biden, but Biden is closer than Trump. And ultimately, this poo poo affects others more than it affects me, so I also vote for others.

The question is posed in a way as if I'm getting the choice between German Nazis and Italian fascists. I'm not. Biden is to the left of Obama, who was to the left of Bill Clinton. If a Democrat was worse than a Republican, and said they will not vote for, say, Speaker or Majority Leader, sure, I wouldn't vote for them. If I lived in Cellular's district, yes, I'd vote for him in the general (but not the primary) because he will otherwise get me closer to what I want by giving a majority to the Democrats.

I don't understand. How does voting for Democrats who do not want to do the things that you want get your closer to that goal? The Dems already have a majority in the House and the Senate, but it doesn't appear we're any closer to the goals you have stated. They've had majorities before and failed to move closer on abortion rights. In fact, Pelosi stated that she believes that the Democrats should move away from ideological causes like abortion rights and trans rights because it would alienate conservative voters. That's her stating that they want to move in the opposite direction.

I don't think Obama is to the left of Bill Clinton when Obama stated that he was like a 80s/90s Republican.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MadJackal posted:

Accelerationism doesn't work in the direction Internet Leftists thought it would.

no it's really simple

leftists just don't vote for non-leftists. It's not their fault the Democrats are center-right at best, and basically apolitical at worst, in that they mostly do nothing for anyone but themselves. It is absolutely not the job of leftists to bail out your dumb useless country because one of the parties is evil, and the one that supposed to be good is feckless, without a vision, confused about who exactly its base should be.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Well maybe she should have campaigned in loving Wisconsin, but I guess the internet leftists made her ignore it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you believe in w,x,y and z and there are two candidates running, one if which also believes in x and z but not y and w, and the other candidate who doesn't believe in anything you do do you view both candidates as exactly the same?
You will probably never find a candidate that holds exactly the same beliefs as you unless you yourself run.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

If the thread titled US Midterm Elections has been repurposed to now be the US Midterm Elections & All Other Discussions of Electoralism Past, Present and Future then maybe it needs to made clearer, as well as what parameters merit discussion in that thread rather than this one.

For example, what about general polling that includes presidential approvals? I don't recall that ever having been discouraged from a CE/politics thread. Has that now changed?

Or batshit ads & statements by GOP candidates running for office: sequestered to the other thread or perfectly fine here, as has been the custom?

eta an example of the latter, from this thread's mod-written OP:

quote:

Eric Greitens, former Gov. of Missouri who resigned in disgrace 3 years ago, is running for Senate, and has a new campaign video that says to kill all RINOS. Twitter and Facebook took the video down.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 27, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
There are other ways the democrats could be fighting against the courts. They could limit their jurisdiction to certain issues. They could literally take away their staff. There are options.

https://twitter.com/KBAndersen/status/1541054146626965504

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There are other ways the democrats could be fighting against the courts. They could limit their jurisdiction to certain issues. They could literally take away their staff. There are options.

https://twitter.com/KBAndersen/status/1541054146626965504

Everything that the op-ed describes requires an act of congress, i.e. 50 or 60 Senate votes, except for the ones that require a constitutional amendment. Of course, it doesn't mention any of that, so we get more "they should fight!" claims unmoored from how the government works.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Everything that the op-ed describes requires an act of congress, i.e. 50 or 60 Senate votes, except for the ones that require a constitutional amendment. Of course, it doesn't mention any of that, so we get more "they should fight!" claims unmoored from how the government works.

Well better do nothing then. Lol

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Alright, so what can be done if the Democrats do not get enough Senators on board to do those things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Apparently one of the D&D mods is going to be taking a break for their hostility toward posters, as well as their tendency to argue by innuendo. They're not going to be officially punished (because why would they?), but they will be taking a break. Just wanted to let the rest of you know, since the mod staff seems unwilling to do so. I'm pretty sure you can guess who the mod is.