Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I've just started playing mtgo. Is it bad that I like the interface?

You mean the one it badly copied from Arena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't remember which thread I saw these in, but these are pretty sweet little knockoffs, metal mtg cards. they're textured and look very nice, would make some neat gifts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144272066848

the fella is pretty open to offers too, got this set for much less than the listed price.

definitely going to pick up a set of power 9 from him, too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 25, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

YggdrasilTM posted:

You mean the one it badly copied from Arena?

I actually like it a lot more than the arena interface

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Friends bachelor party last night, what didn’t we drink

Bant fuckin humans in modern

Currently 2-1. Round two went 50 minutes over time after a match got a 26 minute time extension, 19 minutes after the round ended.

F2F Calgary? I wanted to go but my buddy is getting married in 25 minutes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't remember which thread I saw these in, but these are pretty sweet little knockoffs, metal mtg cards. they're textured and look very nice, would make some neat gifts.

the fella is pretty open to offers too, got this set for much less than the listed price.

Huh, so there must be a company that prints these or something, cause I've seen the exact same thing done for Pokemon cards awhile ago. Curious choice to leave the copyright symbol on the illo credit.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

1: Lose only one lift to an unblocked creature.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Human Crouton posted:

1: Lose only one lift to an unblocked creature.
yeah, I noticed the forcefield is a little off. there's some missing printing on the capital F in forcefield too. it's the only one like that though, the rest are excellent and without typos or flaws.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Oof, a post player got got by an aether spellbomb chilling under a land in the win and in at the LaL 5k

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

I really hope you’re in the wedding party and are posting in this thread 25 minutes before the ceremony lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

A chaos orb you can't even tear?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

Oof, a post player got got by an aether spellbomb chilling under a land in the win and in at the LaL 5k

Was it streamed?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

A chaos orb you can't even tear?

YOU can't tear it maybe :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sickening posted:

Was it streamed?

Yeah. The chat was going off about it. The guy was in the post discord after, disappointed but not super salty.

I missed it as I tuned in just after it happened. Apparently the spellbomb got tapped for mana too. Commentators caught it, judge stepped in but didn't actually tell the players why the game was stopped? At least that's what the player said.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Yeah. The chat was going off about it. The guy was in the post discord after, disappointed but not super salty.

I missed it as I tuned in just after it happened. Apparently the spellbomb got tapped for mana too. Commentators caught it, judge stepped in but didn't actually tell the players why the game was stopped? At least that's what the player said.

I'd have thought concealing info like that would be against the rules

Like I remember years back this was a constant problem with dryad arbor

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

Ended up 5-3 for 42nd place and $100 in prizing

Edit: and two people got DQ’d for being absolutely toxic

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 26, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1540855624615043075?s=20&t=ACkN4PaQ4KQS_RU-dza9VQ

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It really shouldn't surprise me that the worst thing I've read on the entire internet related to the supreme court decision has been Magic related, but here we are.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I mean why cast Birthing Pod when you can become Birthing Pod?

Seriously though, JFC.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The mtgfinance subreddit is one of the funniest subreddits around, but only if you like laughing at stupid assholes who are oblivious that they are stupid assholes.

*cue people laughing at this post*

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the subreddit gets tons of troll posts everytime there's some big political event that happens. there's also people constantly going in wanting to talk about NFTs. and the guy who posted that literally has never posted about mtg.

edit: https://twitter.com/Swedebit/status/1540890282148995073

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Ended up 5-3 for 42nd place and $100 in prizing

Edit: and two people got DQ’d for being absolutely toxic

What happened?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'd have thought concealing info like that would be against the rules

Like I remember years back this was a constant problem with dryad arbor

That's the argument the chat was making. Particularly as spellbomb doesn't tap for mana and has no business being with the lands, much less under one.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

ilmucche posted:

That's the argument the chat was making. Particularly as spellbomb doesn't tap for mana and has no business being with the lands, much less under one.

Seems pretty cut and dry. If it was a dryad arbor or mana dork under the lands that’s at least plausibly a mistake. An Aerher spellbomb though? Has no business being there and seems like clear cheating especially if they’re tapping it for mana.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1513800079

Yeah at 7:04:30 he grabs the spellbomb off an urza's saga, then pulls it back in line with his lands. Over the next minute or so he pulls his lands over so it's half covered and eventually taps it for mana at 7:12, then on his next turn moves his lands out of the way to bounce something as the commentators were on the way to stop the game.

Looks extremely suspect and it's lovely as it won him the game and got him into the top 8

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it's on video why didn't they disqualify him

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cheating while being recorded will never not be funny. Hard to imagine it wasn't intentional as he clearly moves towards it slowly.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1513800079

Yeah at 7:04:30 he grabs the spellbomb off an urza's saga, then pulls it back in line with his lands. Over the next minute or so he pulls his lands over so it's half covered and eventually taps it for mana at 7:12, then on his next turn moves his lands out of the way to bounce something as the commentators were on the way to stop the game.

Looks extremely suspect and it's lovely as it won him the game and got him into the top 8

That kind of seems like it should be a DQ yeah, or at least game loss for misrepresenting the board state

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol, but wry and exasperated

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That kind of seems like it should be a DQ yeah, or at least game loss for misrepresenting the board state

I got screwed by someone pulling something similar in a GP and the judge throwing up his hands and saying essentially "it's your word against his, I don't have enough information." But on camera? It should be a big deal.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

What happened?

It was two brothers, both playing 4c money pile. Apparently they’d been DCI banned for assaulting a judge at an event but that was expired.

They both played very sloppily (in their favor of course) and we’re EXTREMELY loving UNPLEASANT to interact with. The older brother had a judge call that led to a 26 minute time extension 19 minutes after the round had ended. Just a bunch of poo poo-talking and blaming other people for coming after them and saying they were being disrespected (while in hindsight very obviously cheating)

I played against the younger brother and called him out on playing an extra land (which I assumed was an honest mistake at the time) and he perfectly drew fury + ephemerate three times in two games against the creature deck. Also he tried to resolve spells “in response” to a meddling mage resolving”

They both also just kept trying to resolve instant speed things through t3feri

I am shocked that they made it through 5 rounds before getting the boot. Intolerable.

As the younger brother got marched out of the venue by a judge he took his mask off and got in the judges face and kept shouting “SIX FEET BRO SIX FEET STAY OUT OF MY PERSONAL SPACE”

TL:DR wizards has no current ban list for players and have no intention of making one so it’s on TO’s to do so.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 26, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mezzanon posted:

It was two brothers, both playing 4c money pile. Apparently they’d been DCI banned for assaulting a judge at an event but that was expired.

They both played very sloppily (in their favor of course) and we’re EXTREMELY loving UNPLEASANT to interact with. The older brother had a judge call that led to a 26 minute time extension 19 minutes after the round had ended. Just a bunch of poo poo-talking and blaming other people for coming after them and saying they were being disrespected (while in hindsight very obviously cheating)

I played against the younger brother and called him out on playing an extra land (which I assumed was an honest mistake at the time) and he perfectly drew fury + ephemerate three times in two games against the creature deck. Also he tried to resolve spells “in response” to a meddling mage resolving”

They both also just kept trying to resolve instant speed things through t3feri

I am shocked that they made it through 5 rounds before getting the boot. Intolerable.

As the younger brother got marched out of the venue by a judge he took his mask off and got in the judges face and kept shouting “SIX FEET BRO SIX FEET STAY OUT OF MY PERSONAL SPACE”

TL:DR wizards has no current ban list for players and have no intention of making one so it’s on TO’s to do so.

I didn't know about that last part. What an incredible poo poo show Wizards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

More evidence Edmonton is the true cultural and spiritual capital of Alberta 🙏

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Why do people have to be so poo poo when playing wizard poker?!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I know it's a troll post, and I know it's not the point, but how would one even do arbitrage in MTG these days? Everyone with a smartphone has access to countless stores across the country/world and up to the minute pricing on whatever card they want. Unless interstate commerce laws get really strict all of a sudden, there's no way to keep collectables in one area and not another...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I know it's a troll post, and I know it's not the point, but how would one even do arbitrage in MTG these days? Everyone with a smartphone has access to countless stores across the country/world and up to the minute pricing on whatever card they want. Unless interstate commerce laws get really strict all of a sudden, there's no way to keep collectables in one area and not another...

Hypothetically the next republican administration completely dismantles the USPS and all of the private companies like Fedex jack up rates a bunch afterwards, which would hurt all forms of shipping especially long distance.

Not that magic card price differences between states would be anywhere remotely near the top of things anyone should be thinking about in that scenario, but it's the only thing I can think of that would make regional price differences on anything small enough to be shipped actually matter in the modern age.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apparently wotc sent out some of these to various youtube people before the release of CL2. they're pretty neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I11K94pzfUg&hd=1

seems like the various components were commissioned by etsy creators, I really want that life counter but the one I can find with the same number layout has "totally not the mana symbols" on the inner cogs. bummer.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Arbitrage is way too generous a word for what the subreddit gets up to. A lot of it is posting deals and discussing price trends for cards and sets based on bannings, meta shift, new product announcements, etc. I like reading it because I want to collect cool cards for as little money as possible. It helps me keep up with what is or will be expensive, and what is or will be cheap.

Plus the drama, of course.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The answer is "it's mostly not worth the effort to do if you're not dedicated to it (and it's also mostly not worth it to do if you ARE dedicated to it either)" so if a good opportunity for one person personally DOES arise there can be some money other people were leaving on the table. Basically the big thing is "buy commander cards in europe and sell them in the US if you've already got a business trip or something going on." Not really worth it if shipping costs get brought in, but ARE worth it if you're piggybacking off a flight you already would've been taking anyway.

That would basically never apply within the US though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

More evidence Edmonton is the true cultural and spiritual capital of Alberta 🙏

Based on your recent posts we may have met eachother in person. I hope Campbell wedding was great btw, the pictures were incredible.

Edit: are you going to any of the small town qualifiers? Our team was looking at olds, Cochran, and strathmore

Koirhor posted:

Why do people have to be so poo poo when playing wizard poker?!

Poor upbringing.

After beating me in 2 the younger poo poo show guy said “I couldn’t find any of those 1 mana draw a card elementals so I replaced them with ragavans do you think that’s good?”

I just said “are you doing a bit?”

Sickening posted:

I didn't know about that last part. What an incredible poo poo show Wizards.

Small indie dev company.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Based on your recent posts we may have met eachother in person. I hope Campbell wedding was great btw, the pictures were incredible.

Edit: are you going to any of the small town qualifiers? Our team was looking at olds, Cochran, and strathmore

Ooh, no but I should see if I can get a crew to go to some of these.