Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

FishBowlRobot posted:

Well...

- Allegedly the owners (a couple who live together) got into a physical altercation at the restaurant yesterday. Not the first time it’s happened, according to others.
- My fellow sushi chef told me she borrowed money from our tip jar to pay her drug dealer.
- Someone signed our Pride flag with “free Palestine.”

Ya know, restaurant things.

may I ask how "free Palestine" is on the same level for you as the owners physically fighting each other or someone stealing tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Get your own flag, don't vandalize someone else's.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Late to earbud chat, but the dishwashers and two of our cooks always have earbuds in and it drives me nuts. Not so much the dishwashers- we're pretty good about dancing around each other in the pit when we have to, but the cooks really shouldn't have them in during service, especially the loving expo!

It's a family-run restaurant and the expo jerk is the owner's grandson so he gets away with murder. Everyone hates him. He was a cook in the Navy for like two years and he's going to culinary school so he thinks he's hot poo poo. Those two things don't impress me much, so he and I don't get along. He also thinks he will win against me in a backstabbing war, which is kind of cute. I've been eating cocky young male cooks for lunch for decades now.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wroughtirony posted:

I've been eating cocky young male cooks for lunch for decades now.
You eat pieces of poo poo for lunch?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FishBowlRobot posted:

- Someone signed our Pride flag with “free Palestine.”

Whoever did this should get a pay raise

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Get your own flag, don't vandalize someone else's.

gently caress off, its not vandalism just truth

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My objection is to the method, not the message.
E: bring your own Free Palestine flag to set next to the other looks a lot less shoddy than hastily scrawling it across a different, unrelated flag

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 11, 2022

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

prayer group posted:

may I ask how "free Palestine" is on the same level for you as the owners physically fighting each other or someone stealing tips

It’s not. Just another thing I discovered yesterday, that I found interesting. Wasn’t my intention to rile up internet people.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My objection is to the method, not the message.
E: bring your own Free Palestine flag to set next to the other looks a lot less shoddy than hastily scrawling it across a different, unrelated flag

every queer person id talk to (including myself) would go hell yeah about it so, if you arent a cishet, you should stop posting like one

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Jesus loving christ

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Jesus loving christ

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jesus loving christ

That's a different flag, actually

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Remulak posted:

You eat pieces of poo poo for lunch?

just got to braise them long enough and the poo poo taste cooks out.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Wroughtirony posted:

just got to braise them long enough and the poo poo taste cooks out.

just marinate the turd in pickle juice or buttermilk overnight, it pulls all the off flavors out of the meat and then you're ready to bread and fry that sucker

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any.

I'm trying to convince everyone in my meat dept (we are a coop) to get custom butcher coats. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for vendors.

I'm trying to go for something other than white. Our current vendor sucks poo poo.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Boy no smell sticks in your nose quite like the first maggoty trash can of the year.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Lurker, my job is city refuse/recycling. I am amused at new homeowners who have graduated from apartments with dumpster service (other people's problems) to their own cans. Get someone at least once a month calling to have city workers clean their cans or replace them because of maggots. (Sorry dear, we don't do that, try some bleach and a mop).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arkhamina posted:

Lurker, my job is city refuse/recycling. I am amused at new homeowners who have graduated from apartments with dumpster service (other people's problems) to their own cans. Get someone at least once a month calling to have city workers clean their cans or replace them because of maggots. (Sorry dear, we don't do that, try some bleach and a mop).

Someone on Nextdoor in my neighborhood recently moved into the area near a restaurant and is complaining about the smell from their dumpster. Apparently, it smells like rotten food and the restaurant should have it cleaned and emptied daily, she's offended when she walks by. Maybe...don't move to an urban environment if you're unwilling to deal with that kind of nuisance.

Edit for clarity: I've walked by that place dozens of times and it's never had a strong odor. Either this person has the best nose in the world or is just unhappy about having moved to a place with no zoning.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 20, 2022

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My personal favorite batshit customer thing from non-restaurant work is the lady who lost her goddamn mind at me for like 10 solid min because she couldn't charge things to her room at a restaurant several blocks from the hotel. Now that I think back on it she didn't even mention which restaurant exactly it was, just kinda assumed anything in that touristy stadium area was part of some kind of interconnected resort.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Anyone else watching The Bear? It's pretty good, definitely written by industry folk.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

droll posted:

Anyone else watching The Bear? It's pretty good, definitely written by industry folk.

Yeah, it does a pretty good job of making the industry seem enticing and incredibly toxic at the same time.

Also lots of cambros

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I watched the first episode but it was a little too “work at home,” shelving it til things settle down a little. The miniseries Whites is always welcome and has the same level of “oh man they know their poo poo” and is tons of fun though!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

droll posted:

Watching it now and keeping some notes. Chef there cuts his tape. Take that, kitchen equipment thread!!!

Beginning of S01EP02 absolutely intense... immediately brought me back to once hearing "Don't you loving ever loving say any other loving word before loving CHEF"

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
There's a later scene where pastry does something with tape that you may really appreciate then

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Some notes so far on EP2

In well functioning kitchens, no one just yells hands. its more specific. "SIX HANDS NOW TO PASTRY," etc. Asking for hands without specifying how many will just add to the general confusion (as shown with vigor in the state the kitchen was in at 2:24)

Toothbrush cleaning? Absolutely dumb. There are multiple tools as small that are significantly more efficient.

Cleaning scenes a little underwhelming. Pretty much impossible to clean a hood vent with a little rag.

Green detergent buckets. God drat. So many low end kitchens not only don't have these, but skip the step between identifying a stain and sanitizing it. Yeah, you're supposed to use soap. Surprising to so so so so SO many people

4:45 okay forget the green bucket, lets just use a regular cambro and use scrub pads on the floor as if scrub brushes with handles don't exist????

16:41 "you can't start at 'gently caress it' " This hit so close to home, coming from a James Beard double awarded restaurant that year to running a Domino's the next. Covid changed everything. I'm one of those guys who tried to translate high end techniques to the lowest types of establishments, many times. SO frustrating.

But, you can. start at "gently caress it" and improve massively. I'm expecting to see this, because it worked for me and can work for anyone with the determination

28:42 good callback, but we should be seeing multi-station callbacks. If your expo calls two cod, two salad, two cannoli, three different people will answer, for example.

29:09 "Sense of urgency" this is a real note in many kitchens that is posted everywhere. "Intentionality" "Graciousness" "Curious" are other common phrases at that level.

Also at 29:09 More calling for "hands" instead of specifying how many. Its like the expo calling out "Burgers" instead of "Two Waygu, one impossible." Only thing you can expect is that everyone who hears it comes to their own conclusion as to whats being requested.

30:00 Incredible. Absolutely amazing gently caress up. Kudos, I have high expectations now. Guy seems to be a major problem creator and solver at the same time. He is clearly very well trained, yet capable of making such a mistake when it really counts and you expect to be evaluated. THis kind of flawed character can make for really good television.

Stopping for today, great fun so far

droll posted:

There's a later scene where pastry does something with tape that you may really appreciate then

I noticed cut green tape immediately. Lol at this confusing the cousin. I missed anything specific like you're mentioning - got a timestamp?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

parthenocarpy posted:

Beginning of S01EP02 absolutely intense... immediately brought me back to once hearing "Don't you loving ever loving say any other loving word before loving CHEF"

lol thanks for the reminder, I absolutely do not miss working on a line next to pretentious assholes with culinary diplomas and superiority complexes.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

lol thanks for the reminder, I absolutely do not miss working on a line next to pretentious assholes with culinary diplomas and superiority complexes.

Wanna hear something worse? This pretentious rear end in a top hat, after the Edourado Johnson accusations happened, went on Instagram and wrote "Lets get a rope." Was confronted by owners, to see how they'd like to move forward in their career (meaning, resign, dumbass, before we fire you). Now they're working at Singlethread. Failing upwards!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Nevermind I busted three poker tournaments early

S01E03

1:50 "You can't curb that kind of chaos until the thinking changed. Until the foundations change; Until the chemistry changes. And it's difficult" Yeah this applies towards addicts, but it also describes any scenario where people are set in their ways. Including the kitchen.

3:00 at this point you fire your cousin and replace with any Gen Z who can use a computer and not try to expo through a door when a kitchen worker happens to come through??? Because you already have expo in the back per pervious ep? Weird suggestion but maybe functional?

5:09 is a great sequence because you learn who has been existing in a subpar environment but is willing, capible, and patient enough to learn about process. The vibe is a little too fanboy for me and no chef would be like "looks good" at their own photos being displayed by that but it doesn't hurt the scene. Employees are valuable in this.

What is great in this scene is the chef recounting all the best of this preparation instead of the miserable and embarassing process of failing until it works which is so often the experience

7:24 "English" Another valuable exployee, who might not express they don't understand the lingo that is so comfortable for some to use, some to understand, but to the majority? No one knows wtf you're talking about

8:00 Maybe great foreshadowing? I would have a very hard time putting a brand new employee in that role to lead people who have been there for several years, especially with financial problems. She recognises this. It could bring failure where it doesn't currently exist in the kitchen

Stopping here for a bit. Just wanna think if she can succeed or fail at this. I think it could be a turning point in the kitchen where the words from the AA meeting are tested.

16:07 Unforgivable. Nothing likeable about this character.

20:13 That is at least 40 pounds of stock lifted at the fingertips. Oh it fell? Ah well, only three figures lost there. Towels??? instead of a squeegie and dust pan?

25:27 This is a very real thing that you experience with new staff who have an idealistic version of "what could be" at both established places and new/existing places started/taken over by highly reputed chefs. Yes, things could always be better. Can you do it this second? Almost always, no. Very slow process.

26:00 These meeting take place all day, dunno why you had to go then, considering the outcome

27:15 You are not legit if you don't drink water out of a 1qt

27:33 service sounds great, they sold out, had a ten top, etc

27:45 Wearing your work apron outside the kitchen?

28:40 You've been inside too long when you can look at, appreciate, and enjoy a mediocre coastal sunset like this. Such a telling scene. Love it.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 27, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I seriously hate the ending, it is so incredibly dumb in terms of drama and also in terms of the 50 IQ every character must have had to think it was their money

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

parthenocarpy posted:

I noticed cut green tape immediately. Lol at this confusing the cousin. I missed anything specific like you're mentioning - got a timestamp?

Sorry later scene in a later episode

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

droll posted:

Sorry later scene in a later episode

Oh yes, this was an enthusiastic cook who took the lesson well! He's perfecting a cake now.

I saw cut tape in the first episode affixed to mason jars next to packages spices. Slow repacking transition I guess.

If I wasn't clear in the other thread, I don't care much about tape unless I'm supposed to do it in a work environment or I'm at home. How ever people cut tape is up to them. Either it matters in your cooking (professionally, personally) or it doesn't. But seeing people over time adapt their ways to a new standard, no matter how ridiculous their first reaction to it might be, is a very clear way to evaluate how coachable they are in the future.

Hoping his circumstances aren't as dire as presented. You just do not sleep overnight at work, people notice. As happened here. I've seen it in Seattle at every gig.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The most realistic thing is everyone refusing to do things different, because it is not the way they always did it (that is leading them towards failure.)

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

parthenocarpy posted:

Watching it now and keeping some notes. Chef there cuts his tape. Take that, kitchen equipment thread!!!

If I ever had to deal with some limp-dick schmuck trying to make me call them 'chef' I'd get fired for blacking out and pissing myself laughing. Put way too much time in this industry for that sorta bullshit. :clint:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Seeing people's reaction to The Beast and saying "yeah that was basically my job" is insane to me. I was FOH so we were always trying steal tables from each other or working the bare minimum to fund our drug habit, so I get why we couldn't successfully organize a union, but I think kitchens should have more solidarity.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Skwirl posted:

trying steal tables from each other

This poo poo would get us fired so fast.

I did it a ton as a busser though. Clearing tables out of my section and notifying the servers "hey Skwirl, 32 is ready for their next course" and they would assume I was meant to be their busser.

That turned into a legit strategy for turning tables fast though. I could legit get my bussing section an extra turn at the end of the night. Now the bussers do it for me because I share the love.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

droll posted:

I like it and I hate it. Which is how I often feel about this business generally.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Haven't watched the show yet, is the "cut tape" thing just making labels nice and neat instead of tearing the tape?

Had a bar manager that was a bit anal about doing that for prepped juices and such since it was a good look for the health department and also meant everything got labeled

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FFT posted:

Haven't watched the show yet, is the "cut tape" thing just making labels nice and neat instead of tearing the tape?

Had a bar manager that was a bit anal about doing that for prepped juices and such since it was a good look for the health department and also meant everything got labeled

Yeah, it's just a small thing to make it look neater. I always did it in the kitchen. You lay tape out on the table and write your labels, then cut with a knife

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, it's just a small thing to make it look neater. I always did it in the kitchen. You lay tape out on the table and write your labels, then cut with a knife

...Amy Poehler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Or you just get a couple masking tape dispensers. Clean edges every time, plus they're too awkward to move around so the tape is always in the same place.