Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I watched some videos and Neon White does look pretty dope.

I also did this. I started to cry and poop in my pants whenever a card popped up on screen, but, I think I might be able to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's because cards and deckbuilders are good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing Origami King and liking it so far. The battle system irks me, mostly because it doesn't feel like a battle system, more just like some sliding puzzle to solve. I like the actual concept of sliding enemies to line then up and such, what irks me about it is that there is (so far, anyway, I'm currently following the first ribbon) always a solution to get a 1-turn win. As a result it feels less like the game is giving a reward for solving the puzzle, and more like failing to solve it is a punishment, if that makes sense.

I would've preferred if enemies were more randomly assorted and board movements unlimited, having you scramble to rotate and shift stuff around to get enemies hopefully in a good configuration to do damage to them. Would make actually lining them up correctly feel pretty good, as opposed to being the 'default'. Still, the writing is great and I like exploring the world for treasures and whatnot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tell me about ni no kuni 2

Is it good? What's it like? Do you need to play 1?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No, bad, no.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Tell me about ni no kuni 2

Is it good? What's it like? Do you need to play 1?

It's not bad, though a little repetitive. It's an action RPG where every character has a melee attack and a ranged attack, running around the battlefield to kill the group of enemies to move on (similar to Trails of Mana), and is about a kid who is trying to get his kingdom back, essentially. No.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Succinct if not very explanatory

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

I believe these three games have been recommended by folks in this thread, so I'll be grabbing Wuppo, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark in the current sale. :)

Dunno about the first, the 2nd is neat but loading times are long and it can get a touch repetitive. For the price it's very interesting to check out.

The last is genuinely pretty good as FFT clones go, but we now have Triangle Strategy. Still it's different since it's definitely a job system.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s charming enough. I’d recommend it on sale. You’ll probably just get annoyed by the battle system/grinding about halfway through.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Are there any deckbuilders that have a "heart of the cards" mechanic in it, for me to feel amazing and clutch even tghough the game is just cheating for me and building it up with hype?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Morpheus posted:

Been playing Origami King and liking it so far. The battle system irks me, mostly because it doesn't feel like a battle system, more just like some sliding puzzle to solve. I like the actual concept of sliding enemies to line then up and such, what irks me about it is that there is (so far, anyway, I'm currently following the first ribbon) always a solution to get a 1-turn win. As a result it feels less like the game is giving a reward for solving the puzzle, and more like failing to solve it is a punishment, if that makes sense.

I would've preferred if enemies were more randomly assorted and board movements unlimited, having you scramble to rotate and shift stuff around to get enemies hopefully in a good configuration to do damage to them. Would make actually lining them up correctly feel pretty good, as opposed to being the 'default'. Still, the writing is great and I like exploring the world for treasures and whatnot.

That’s what they are. Little puzzles.

The RPGness of the game is all smoke and mirrors. Just enjoy it as the light Undertalesque puzzle game it is.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ni no kuni 2 is a fun kingdom building game with a super mediocre jrpg stapled to it

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cavauro posted:

Are there any deckbuilders that have a "heart of the cards" mechanic in it, for me to feel amazing and clutch even tghough the game is just cheating for me and building it up with hype?

Baten Kaitos has a mechanic where the more you agree with the protagonist in dialogue choices, the more the game cheats in your favor by giving you attack cards you need for a combo or drawing a healing card if someone is at low HP, etc.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Just rolled credits in Neon White - it's perfection and everything I wanted a FPS to be - which is weird since it's a platforming puzzler racing game.

goty goty goat

Also worth pointing out it's $25. I assumed it was full priced until I checked out the store page.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I only did Lost Kingdoms which I thought was a neat concept but eventually got stuck at one point. And I did Bateman Kaitos, which I thought was amazing/beautiful but I actively disliked the battling with cards system and it made me also leave it unfinished.

I think I’ll try the Steamworld one if anything, it seems like a good intro into the genre for a doofus like myself and I love those games. I played a bit of Slay the Spire and I was not hooked or at least it failed to hook me for the 1.5 hours I tried it for.

Everything about batien katios is awesome except the combat and the length. It's 20 hours and one or two plot twists too long

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tried playing Baten Kaitos on my Wii a while back after forgetting about it for years and my memory cards kept corrupting my saves. Those 2 games are basically the only old JRPGs I want to go back and play

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Everything about batien katios is awesome except the combat and the length. It's 20 hours and one or two plot twists too long

Also the voice acting. It's literally the only game over ever turned voices off in, and even then it won't shut them up in battle.

It's the worst I've ever heard, and I played voiced budget JRPGs on the ps2.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dunno about the first, the 2nd is neat but loading times are long and it can get a touch repetitive. For the price it's very interesting to check out.

The last is genuinely pretty good as FFT clones go, but we now have Triangle Strategy. Still it's different since it's definitely a job system.

Thank you! Triangle Strategy is in my wishlist, but I'd like a smaller tactics game in between Fire Emblem and Triangle.

The "tabletop game but also CYOA" idea of Warlock seems fun enough for a few bucks. Disco Elysium is up next on my PS4 playlist, so I'll be joining you in Revachol soon!

Excellent choice, but the sequel was better! :colbert:

Still bummed a lovely ex of mine has my Gamecube copy, but hey, we live in the time of emulators. The Souls games are usually what people think of when they hear "From Software", but LK2 and Kuon battle it out for my favorite. Evergrace comes in third.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Read After Burning posted:

Thank you! Triangle Strategy is in my wishlist, but I'd like a smaller tactics game in between Fire Emblem and Triangle.

The "tabletop game but also CYOA" idea of Warlock seems fun enough for a few bucks. Disco Elysium is up next on my PS4 playlist, so I'll be joining you in Revachol soon!

Excellent choice, but the sequel was better! :colbert:

Still bummed a lovely ex of mine has my Gamecube copy, but hey, we live in the time of emulators. The Souls games are usually what people think of when they hear "From Software", but LK2 and Kuon battle it out for my favorite. Evergrace comes in third.

From Software peaked with Otogi 2.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Switch is a failure because it doesn't have the best game of all time that everyone played and loved.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Colorspray posted:

Just rolled credits in Neon White - it's perfection and everything I wanted a FPS to be - which is weird since it's a platforming puzzler racing game.

goty goty goat

Also worth pointing out it's $25. I assumed it was full priced until I checked out the store page.

I'm barely on mission 4 and it's so perfect and I can't wait to see what else is in store but I also don't want it to end!!!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Inzombiac posted:

The Switch is a failure because it doesn't have the best game of all time that everyone played and loved.

I liked the look and feel of that game but never really got anywhere in it.

I'd probably play a remaster, my Wii died and I sold all the games a few years ago.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

KingSlime posted:

I'm barely on mission 4 and it's so perfect and I can't wait to see what else is in store but I also don't want it to end!!!

The best part is that it doesn’t end because after you beat the story you can still keep competing for better times

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Morpheus posted:

Also the voice acting. It's literally the only game over ever turned voices off in, and even then it won't shut them up in battle.

It's the worst I've ever heard, and I played voiced budget JRPGs on the ps2.

I can forgive it because it's a story choice. It's literally audible narration. But yeah. It's bad

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Palmtree Panic posted:

Thank you John Cena.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cum jabbar posted:

Tried playing Baten Kaitos on my Wii a while back after forgetting about it for years and my memory cards kept corrupting my saves. Those 2 games are basically the only old JRPGs I want to go back and play

On the otherhand, that's thematically appropriate.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

DC Murderverse posted:

The best part is that it doesn’t end because after you beat the story you can still keep competing for better times

Oh yeah I'm savoring it by going back and getting ace on every mission before I progress the story. I do give myself a 10 to 20 level buffer to skip ahead if I get intrigued or want to see what the next area looks like etc

I might have to get it on steam to compare records with friends though, I could see myself going down that rabbit hole for sure

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What was the consensus on Origami King? I see that sesame street YouTuber didn’t like it :(

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

sponges posted:

What was the consensus on Origami King? I see that sesame street YouTuber didn’t like it :(

It's divisive, in that it's a Paper Mario game that isn't a more traditional JRPG like the N64 or GameCube one. I, and many others who gave the game a chance, found it extremely charming and funny. The battle system is a bit too simple and feels vestigial for normal battles, but boss battles really crank it up and are pretty cool.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s good and that puppet is a miserable bore

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Paper Mario hasn’t been an RPG for almost 2 decades at this point. Get over it sad blue YouTube man (I’m describing at least 6 different people here).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sponges posted:

It’s a very good, fun adventure. The combat against normal enemies gets kinda tiring after a while but the boss fights are really cool, the writing is great, and the soundtrack is absolutely amazing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you're looking for a PM64 or TTYD-like, look elsewhere, Origami King isn't it.

But if you're willing to give it a chance, it's really good at what it does. Aside from the mook combat which is pretty shallow and doesn't really get more interesting, unfortunately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Inzombiac posted:

this except The Last Story

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

Paper Mario hasn’t been an RPG for almost 2 decades at this point. Get over it sad blue YouTube man (I’m describing at least 6 different people here).

the united states?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

sponges posted:

Consider it an adventure game rather than an rpg and you'll have yourself a good time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's fine as an adventure game and i loved the writing but it's still hard to just say "don't consider it an RPG" when it has bad RPG elements in it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

It got released on switch in Japan...

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Inzombiac posted:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this except The Last Story
how bout that Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
the Wii had a lot of weirdly moody games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Oscar Wild posted:

I can forgive it because it's a story choice

But this isn't actually true!!! I still bare scars that that are nearly 20 years old from being tricked by the jackals at GameFAQs.com who claimed this. "Oh it's not so bad, there's a STORY REASON for it!"

So I spent something like 30 hours suffering through this terrible VO because I knew there was a "story choice" justifying it, then I hit said story choice, and yeah ok it was pretty clever, but the VO was iextremely bad! The twist didn't do a drat thing about the awful voice direction and actor skill and repetition and bizarre mix levels and some legendarily bad compression. Yeah, it no longer sounded like it was being passed through a low effort Audible filter, but that was the least of its problems