Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

Basically only by cracking it, which is easy. But I wouldn't recommend it. There's a bunch of software now that refuses to install on LTSC builds, including most Adobe stuff. Microsoft has said a bunch of times that Office will stop supporting it as well, but that hasn't happened yet.

Why are you looking for LTSC?

Cause I don't want to upgrade to Windows 11 lol. Actually I can't because my ver of TPM isn't supported.

I thought using LTSC would be a reasonable way to coax a few more years out of my PC, but I probably should just upgrade to something newer.

..What about Steam games? Would those work indefinitely on LTSC? Seems like they'd be a bit more loose about Windows version requirements than Photoshop or Office. Neither of which I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Last Chance posted:

..What about Steam games? Would those work indefinitely on LTSC? Seems like they'd be a bit more loose about Windows version requirements than Photoshop or Office. Neither of which I care about.

Considering Valve has said they're not supporting Windows 11 yet, you may be in luck.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

regular windows 10 is supported until the end of 2025, why are you in a rush to jump onto weird LTS branches

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hooah posted:

Considering Valve has said they're not supporting Windows 11 yet, you may be in luck.

They will support it eventually though.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Steam will work afaik, eventually some programs will complain about 21h2 being old. PC Game Pass is hit or miss though. You can sideload the store and install the client, but a lot of the games won't run.

It looks like there are some people selling LTSC 2019 MAK keys on eBay, but Microsoft removed the ability to generate single use keys keys for 2021. Any listing for that is probably a scam. LTSC 2019 is version 1809, and based on my experience using it at work there's a lot of software that no longer supports 1809, not sure about Steam games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

valve hasn't even dropped support for 7 and 8 yet, despite both being end of life, so there's no risk of them dropping 10 any time soon

whether the actual games on steam will keep working is up to the games though, they'll drop support sooner than valve will. it's already pretty common for games to require 10.

still it's going to be 5+ years before anyone starts requiring 11 probably

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 22, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Last Chance posted:

Cause I don't want to upgrade to Windows 11 lol. Actually I can't because my ver of TPM isn't supported.

I thought using LTSC would be a reasonable way to coax a few more years out of my PC, but I probably should just upgrade to something newer.

That's not what LTSC is. LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) is just a slower delivery path for the major / feature updates, where you only got 1 per year. 10 is now only getting annual major updates in all cases. So just switching to LTSC won't get you past October 2025.

It's likely that MS will offer paid extended support in the same way that Windows 7 has gotten, but that's a different thing.

If you get to mid-2025 and don't want to get a new PC, you can think again about 11 vs doing something else. (It's totally possible to force 11 to install without the TPM/CPU requirements, and at least so far there's been no major problem doing so.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 22, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

That's not what LTSC is. LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) is just a slower delivery path for the major / feature updates, where you only got 1 per year. 10 is now only getting annual major updates in all cases. So just switching to LTSC won't get you past October 2025.

It's likely that MS will offer paid extended support in the same way that Windows 7 has gotten, but that's a different thing.

If you get to mid-2025 and don't want to get a new PC, you can think again about 11 vs doing something else. (It's totally possible to force 11 to install without the TPM/CPU requirements, and at least so far there's been no major problem doing so.)

It says here extended support til 2029?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-enterprise-ltsc-2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ahhh crap, I was thinking of LTSB -- the thing that worked on non-Enterprise versions and was basically "slower updates".

So Enterprise gets extended service by default. In 2025 there will probably be hacks to get those updates. (There are hacks to get the 7 paid extended updates without paying for them.)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i really don't want to set off Edition Wars, but maybe this is an age expectation thing? like, in my lifetime i've had to dodge uh, three? windows launches. ME, vista and 8. i think in hindsight all three were the right call, even though i couldn't completely avoid using some of them in some contexts (which is where my antipathy came from). by ignoring the product in all three instances eventually concessions were made typically to the specific issues that are annoying me, and more functionality and some killer feature gets added and as such i am motivated by some specific thing to upgrade. i'm showing my age to an embarrassing degree here but i have been thoroughly, thoroughly conditioned away from early adopting here.

maybe if your expectations are more like they are in the mobile OS space you'd think differently about it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been using Windows since 3.1 and professionally NT. I have Windows 11 on all of my home PCs. No shade for staying on 10, but 11 is fine. Please do not install LTSC and please do not disable Windows Updates.

I'd argue that you should not have been behind on updates since Blaster and Windows XP SP1 adding an OS firewall. But at this point the entire software industry relies on frequent updates. You may not agree with the approach, but that's the approach none the less. Disabling updates is like trying to swim upstream.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CoolCab posted:

like, in my lifetime i've had to dodge uh, three? windows launches. ME, vista and 8. i think in hindsight all three were the right call
:yossame:

Dunno if I'll be able to dodge 11, but I'm in no hurry to install it during what appears to be an open beta period. But I also am using a computer that is now 9 years old, and I'm not eager to see how well it is supported (or to spend what it would take to build a new one).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been using Windows since 3.1 and professionally NT. I have Windows 11 on all of my home PCs. No shade for staying on 10, but 11 is fine. Please do not install LTSC and please do not disable Windows Updates.

I'd argue that you should not have been behind on updates since Blaster and Windows XP SP1 adding an OS firewall. But at this point the entire software industry relies on frequent updates. You may not agree with the approach, but that's the approach none the less. Disabling updates is like trying to swim upstream.

I’m not disabling updates. I can’t get Win 11 on my machine because it’s not supported

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I’m not disabling updates. I can’t get Win 11 on my machine because it’s not supported

Yeah I’m pretty sure I can’t get it on my system either. My newer laptop has the notification for it but my main PC from 2018 doesn’t get it.

Its not a big deal for me since I’ll be upgrading this PC well before Windows 10 goes EOL. I’ll have to wait and see how the 13 series intel chips look.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Last Chance posted:

There was a bug where Microsoft upgraded Windows 10 machines that weren't supported to Windows 11. But otherwise, they're not going to upgrade you. You don't need LTSC.

There were other people talking about updates. If I was talking to you specifically I would have quoted you. It's more of a general PSA.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ynglaur posted:

An on-premises installation of Atlassian Jira would probably work. Microsoft Forms would be very good at this if on-premises is at all negotiable. You're right that you could build this in SharePoint, too.

I don't think you can buy Jira on-prem anymore and even if you still can it's going to be out of support soon.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but it's worth a shot:
I need to have users enter data into standardized templates that then deliver the content onto a multitude of endpoints in a consistent way. Like, the content should be accessible on A4 paper, a computer, a tablet or a smartphone all the same. Content will consist only of text, links and pictures. How do I manage this in a way that
a) Is accessible for "stupid" users
b) Doesn't require me to write a whole custom program.

I think this might be something to use LaTeX for, but I have no real prior experience with that. Basically, we will have hundreds of documents that follow a standardized template and should offer the "readers" a consistent experience, but the actual data will eventually be put in by absolutely non-technical people. They are smart enough that I can teach them to use certain markup or something like that, but I'd prefer a simpler solution.
I think this might call for some sort of web application, but since the content will only be updated periodically, a file based system might work as well.

While I personally despise Sharepoint, it's one technology that would be readily available to be used for this.

pandoc might be interesting if you are already thinking about latex

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thank all of you brave souls for beta testing Windows 11 for the rest of us.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The optimal lazy option is to transition to the newest version of Windows once it’s matured and there’s a service pack or whatever already released. I don’t mind adjusting to a new OS buts it’s nice not to have to deal with adjustments and feature updates mid-work/study.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

astral posted:

Thank all of you brave souls for beta testing Windows 11 for the rest of us.

It still doesn’t have tabbed file explorer but at least it’s got curves

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

~Coxy posted:

I don't think you can buy Jira on-prem anymore and even if you still can it's going to be out of support soon.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing it out, and sorry to the OP for bad advice.

jokes posted:

I loving hate rounded edges. The original Microsoft Edge's linear tabs were aesthetic perfection. :argh:

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 22, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Yeah, first thing I did when I started demoing Windows 11 was rebuild my WPF template to override that trash to make sure all my apps have squared off edges. It *half works* because modern Windows is almost as bad as Mac OS when it comes to stupid opinionated UX, but if and when I move to W11, I'll try and fix it for real.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I thought I bookmarked this but now I can't find it.

I'm having an issue with some system interrupt process absolutely murdering my CPU, essentially hardlocking my system. I know there's a very easy way to look up what process it is, but I forget how. Does anyone remember the easy way of doing this? I thought it was done with process explorer but maybe not.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
DPC Latency, there's a few tools that will monitor it.
It's hard to get a smoking gun for it though. Lots of loving around with drivers until the problem stops happening.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Windows Performance Analyzer

https://serverfault.com/questions/104131/how-can-i-find-out-what-is-causing-interrupts-on-windows

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

K8.0 posted:

I thought I bookmarked this but now I can't find it.

I'm having an issue with some system interrupt process absolutely murdering my CPU, essentially hardlocking my system. I know there's a very easy way to look up what process it is, but I forget how. Does anyone remember the easy way of doing this? I thought it was done with process explorer but maybe not.

I’ve found that keeping task manager open at all times seems to keep the system interrupts task under control for some reason

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

I might be able to get this to work, but this is definitely not the way I did it before. This seems to require you to do be doing this when the problem happens. The way I did it last time was a much simpler 2 step process, I think all I had to actually do was look at a log somewhere, and then do some trickery to associate the PID in the log to the driver process.

I'm really going to try to find how I did it last time, because I remember realizing it was probably the easiest way to diagnose non-obvious driver problems I'd ever seen, and I swore I bookmarked it but I just can't find it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fruits of the sea posted:

The optimal lazy option is to transition to the newest version of Windows once it’s matured and there’s a service pack or whatever already released. I don’t mind adjusting to a new OS buts it’s nice not to have to deal with adjustments and feature updates mid-work/study.

Bit different these days as traditional Service Packs are a thing of the past. Windows 10 has now dropped down to getting a new "major" update once a year, major entailing new features. Windows 11's update was meant to be yearly, but they've shipped new features a couple of times since its release.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 29, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

But different these days as traditional Service Packs are a thing of the past. Windows 10 has now dropped down to getting a new "major" update once a year, major entailing new features. Windows 11's update was meant to be yearly, but they've shipped new features a couple of times since its release.

Ahh thanks, I did notice that the terminology seemed to have changed but I wasn't sure what the new update format was. Sounds like W11 will be relatively low friction once they slow down to yearly major updates.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ahh thanks, I did notice that the terminology seemed to have changed but I wasn't sure what the new update format was. Sounds like W11 will be relatively low friction once they slow down to yearly major updates.

Windows 10 is now the low friction choice, since some stuff in Windows 11 is still in need of much work.

I'm trying to get to use the new Outlook preview but the toggle is missing. I'm on the beta channel for Office 365 - any ideas how I can access it? Nevermind, it's because I was trying to use it with a personal instead of a work account, even though I got an email from Office Insider to my personal account saying it was available.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 29, 2022

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm building a new PC, and I want to do a clean install. I bought Win 7 Pro way way back and upgraded to Win 10 back when they were pushing it super hard.

A few questions:

1) I've read that while Win 11 has its issues, it's the best choice for new processors. Is this right? Or are there enough issues with Win11 where I stick with Win 10 for now? Planning on a i7-12700K.

2) Is there an easy, or even not-so-easy, path to a clean Win 11 install without purchasing a new license (i.e. transfer my existing license, not warez)? Google tells me my Win 7 key won't work without starting from 10 (or 7?) and then upgrading. However it appears that I'm able to track down my Win 10 key in the registry. Will this work for activating Win 11 if I download an iso from MS?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DaveSauce posted:

1) I've read that while Win 11 has its issues, it's the best choice for new processors. Is this right? Or are there enough issues with Win11 where I stick with Win 10 for now? Planning on a i7-12700K.

This really seems to depend on your preferences. I don't mind Windows 11 at all, and it's worked fine for me. But if you want your taskbar on the side, or tiny taskbar icons, or something else that's not the default settings, you might be disappointed.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Human beings are often resistant to change. This is most apparent when it comes to tech preferences.

Absolutely 100% install 11 for any new installs. You're allowed to prefer things about 10, but they are the kind of minor neuroses that you shouldn't put any heft into.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DaveSauce posted:

This is true in particular for Intel's new 12 series that have the split performance/efficient CPU cores, which the 12700k does. However, it's not a huge difference in performance. Windows 10 will generally use the performance cores, so it's not like your high-CPU apps or games will be stuck on the crappy ones. Generally if there's a big difference, it's windows 10 that has better performance. Possibly 11 will use less power because it will use the efficiency cores better, which isn't nothing when sitting next to an Alder Lake CPU in July.

There have been issues, for ex a little while ago MS sent out a patch that borked .net for everyone who installed the patch before they pulled it. But in comparison to the first year of win10 it's not terrible. Minor issues, not major ones.

DaveSauce posted:

2) Is there an easy, or even not-so-easy, path to a clean Win 11 install without purchasing a new license (i.e. transfer my existing license, not warez)? Google tells me my Win 7 key won't work without starting from 10 (or 7?) and then upgrading.

Plenty of places report that 7 keys work. Microsoft just says that they don't.

DaveSauce posted:

However it appears that I'm able to track down my Win 10 key in the registry. Will this work for activating Win 11 if I download an iso from MS?

If your 10 is installed using a 7 key, AFAIK the key in your registry will be a generic digital upgrade key that isn't actually functional. Search the first two 5-character blocks in google and you'll probably see a million hits about it.

codo27 posted:

Absolutely 100% install 11 for any new installs. You're allowed to prefer things about 10, but they are the kind of minor neuroses that you shouldn't put any heft into.

Why? What is that 11 is doing that justifies this strong a case?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Klyith posted:

Why? What is that 11 is doing that justifies this strong a case?

My take is that unless you have a reason to stick with 10, just install 11. The longer you stay on 10, the more annoyed you’d be with the changes in 11 when you have to upgrade, and you’re going to have to upgrade at some point, so it’s easier to adjust earlier than later.

I’ve had my taskbar docked to the right for 10-15 years and it took me a day or so to get used to it being on the bottom again, now I don’t care in the least. For the vast majority of users, the changes are going to be an annoyance at best, not a show stopper.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

codo27 posted:

Human beings are often resistant to change. This is most apparent when it comes to tech preferences.

Yeah I gave up on preferences long ago. I grew up on 95/98/XP and 7/10 changed so many things I just don't care anymore. I've since learned that the search function actually works now, so they can move poo poo wherever they want as far as I'm concerned. And, you know, things mostly work these days, so having to do power user poo poo isn't as necessary as it used to be.

I'm more concerned about an OS that actually works and doesn't crash because I looked at it funny, or can't get peripherals to work for no good reason.

Klyith posted:

This is true in particular for Intel's new 12 series that have the split performance/efficient CPU cores, which the 12700k does. However, it's not a huge difference in performance. Windows 10 will generally use the performance cores, so it's not like your high-CPU apps or games will be stuck on the crappy ones. Generally if there's a big difference, it's windows 10 that has better performance. Possibly 11 will use less power because it will use the efficiency cores better, which isn't nothing when sitting next to an Alder Lake CPU in July.

There have been issues, for ex a little while ago MS sent out a patch that borked .net for everyone who installed the patch before they pulled it. But in comparison to the first year of win10 it's not terrible. Minor issues, not major ones.

OK interesting, I had read that there were actually stability concerns with newer processors that Win10 had issues with. Performance is great, but stability is better.

Klyith posted:

Plenty of places report that 7 keys work. Microsoft just says that they don't.

Good to know. My search was pretty insistent that it wouldn't work, but it was a quick search so I dunno if it's just specific circumstances or if there's a procedure that needs to be followed or what.

Is obtaining a key instant? So I burn an iso from MS, and then try my Win7 key and it fails, I can get a Win11 key digitally quickly rather than having to wait a few days for physical media to ship?

Klyith posted:

If your 10 is installed using a 7 key, AFAIK the key in your registry will be a generic digital upgrade key that isn't actually functional. Search the first two 5-character blocks in google and you'll probably see a million hits about it.

Ahh so that's what that was. I did find the method, and there was a key there that was different from my Win7 key. Didn't know it was just a bogus/placeholder key.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Stability-wise, in my experience Windows has been good for 20 years by this point if it's a clean install. It turns to poo poo if it's on a pre-built machine from an OEM, they love to pack in so much poo poo the computers are nigh unusable.

Years ago a friend bought a laptop and it crashed every time she logged in, having done nothing but create her account and connected to WiFi. The thing performed really well after a format.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DaveSauce posted:

I'm more concerned about an OS that actually works and doesn't crash because I looked at it funny, or can't get peripherals to work for no good reason.

OK interesting, I had read that there were actually stability concerns with newer processors that Win10 had issues with. Performance is great, but stability is better.

So here's the thing about windows 11: at one point when MS was showing off the new UI, it was just going to be a big update to windows 10. They're really not that different.

If win11 is problematic it's only because MS is doing new work and patches on it, while 10 is now in stasis and just getting security updates. Lots of patches = more chances to gently caress up.

DaveSauce posted:

Is obtaining a key instant? So I burn an iso from MS, and then try my Win7 key and it fails, I can get a Win11 key digitally quickly rather than having to wait a few days for physical media to ship?

So if your 7 key doesn't work, just don't enter any key at all. 10 and 11 allow you to install with no key. The OS is fully functional. You just have a little text bug on the desktop saying you're not activated, and you can't change the desktop background.

At that point you go down to SA mart and buy a 10 or 11 key from either of the 2 goons that do key reselling. It's not instant, but it's just $15 or $20. Then you can plug that key into the activation screen in settings and have it fully working.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Stability-wise, in my experience Windows has been good for 20 years by this point if it's a clean install. It turns to poo poo if it's on a pre-built machine from an OEM, they love to pack in so much poo poo the computers are nigh unusable.

Years ago a friend bought a laptop and it crashed every time she logged in, having done nothing but create her account and connected to WiFi. The thing performed really well after a format.

Yeah this is my experience too. Still, to this day, the pre-builts have just the worst software and ALL of it runs at startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

jokes posted:

Yeah this is my experience too. Still, to this day, the pre-builts have just the worst software and ALL of it runs at startup.

This right here is the biggest insult. Surely the subsidy paid to OEMs to include crapware would still be payable even if autostart were disabled?