Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So what's RE9 gonna be then.

Resident Evil: SIX wait gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's going to be a Dune crossover

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BisbyWorl posted:

-the game's format sends you to the village, to another place, then back to the village, repeat. Any time you head back to the village, whatever place you left is locked out for the rest of the game, making any leftover loot unavailable

This can’t be strictly true, right? I’m right at the beginning where you meet the creepy old crone after a giant wave of werewolf vampire things and I’m already blocked off from part of the village that has the (/a?) lock pick, but it also has a weird well that I wasn’t able to access without another item.

e: also is there some way I’m missing to craft stuff without an explicit recipe or can you just not make overpowered handgun bullets in 8 or what?

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 17, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

This can’t be strictly true, right? I’m right at the beginning where you meet the creepy old crone after a giant wave of werewolf vampire things and I’m already blocked off from part of the village that has the (/a?) lock pick, but it also has a weird well that I wasn’t able to access without another item.
That's fine, it's in the village. The places outside it get locked off after you're done with them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ohhhh I totally misread that, okay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also paths leading to and from areas go away too. There are for instance 3 fish available right after you finish the castle of Lady D. Despite this feeling like a path you can return to and before you're told that food exists, you cannot go back there, and missing those fish will prevent you from cooking everything on your playthrough (ng+ will let you rectify this).

Basically, investigate all ponds until they say they are empty.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Some stuff for Ghostwire: Tokyo that nobody asked for:

- Trader Nekomata have quite a few features that are never described. They are fast travel points, and their map icons will show a checkmark if you have an item they want. Also, talking to them opens up the trading menu, but each one also has their own shop through which they sell music, photo poses, clothes, and either KK Notes or Magatama for a premium.
- Don't ignore dogs and cats. If you pet a dog they will follow you around for a while and bark if there are Visitors nearby. Feeding a dog will have them track down and dig up some nearby money, and is always a huge return on investment in dog food. Most cats will give hints about nearby tanuki when you read their thoughts.
- Visitors that are preoccupied with sealing a soul cube/attacking a yokai you need to defend are vulnerable to backstabs.
- Don't sleep on talismans. The stun talisman allows you to get free backstabs in a wide area, and the exposure talisman both lowers the threshold for exposing a core as well as dealing hefty damage on its own. Throwing down a couple of those is an excellent panic button and will instantly turn a fight in your favor.
- Food is separated into normal and nether varieties rated from one to three stars. Nether food will give you some kind of bonus but heals a little less, and the number of stars determines how much the food heals. Your quick consumable is shown under your health bar and you can tap to cycle it to a different one. Make sure you have three-star food at the ready if you're anticipating a big fight.
- Once you unlock the ability to summon tengu, you activate it by zoom-aiming at the edge of a rooftop. You may have to wiggle around a little - there's a very specific range at which it works, and it won't work at all on angled rooftops.
- Perfect blocking is way more useful than it seems. The game only tells you it fully negates damage and you can upgrade it to generate ether, but it also greatly boosts the damage of your next attack and can reflect thrown projectiles back to the source.
- If you're fighting multiple weak enemies (flying sheets, umbrella guys, students eventually) you can expose multiple cores then steal them all at once. Setting up a chain like this is much safer than going for the core immediately every time.
- The bow deals extra damage when you aren't detected.
- Don't sweat timed cubes. They will respawn eventually.
- In instances where you are separated from KK, you can still do sneak attacks. This is usually not a great idea since those sections are set up for you to just sneak away and get the hell out of dodge, but there is one specific instance where this is incredibly valuable knowledge and most players I've seen don't seem to realize it. Specific spoiler: You can sneak attack the giant cat woman boss.
- There are only six hand symbols in the game, and you can usually tell after the third stroke which one it's going to be. You can interrupt the pattern at any time to go ahead and get it over with. You can also just instantly mess it up and then have KK do it, there's no penalty for doing so other than him getting a bit snappy with you.
- Get caught by the parade at least once.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SkeletonHero posted:

Some stuff for Ghostwire: Tokyo that nobody asked for:

I'll add a couple of things to this:

-At a Relic Nekomata you can select a particular relic you want to try and find and hold a button to make active a circle of the general area it is located on the map. I did not learn this till I was almost done with the relic hunt.
-To further touch on feeding Dogs food, if there is a collectable within a certain range of the dog it will lead you to it and bark at it.
-It's not mentioned anywhere but a trophy/steam achievement, but you can headshot visitors with the bow and arrows. It does way more damage even while in combat and is pretty legit for taking out specific visitor types.
-There is a set total amount of max HP from eating food so don't sweat it or try to grind it out, you'll hit it eventually.
-With the summon tengu unlocked you can also grapple mid-glide as long as you keep aim held down and look towards roof edges till you see a tengu appear.

-Even if you don't want to 100% everything, definitely find all the Tanuki. The reward is well well worth it.

The game is very good, and honestly has the most satisfying and easy to accomplish collectathon I've ever seen in a game.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 17, 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A number of tips for Generation Zero

1) Schematics are the name of the game, most of which can be found at various locations, but some will be in un-labeled places (like in the back of a police car). There's a lot of them and if there's something specific you're looking for then you probably want to look at this map: http://mathartbang.com/deca/gz/map.html. Note that as of this post the HEDP rounds for the recoilless rifle is currently bugged and unobtainable.

2) Weapons and (most) attachments will have a 1-5 star rating, with the higher stars being specifically better than the lower ones. For weapons this is pretty straightforward, but for optical attachments this generally means a cleaner sight picture.

3) Vision mods can be attached to a pair of binoculars or certain scopes on weapons, there are combo ones so once you have those there's no reason to keep the single type mods

4) How you kill a robot will affect what loot it drops, but in ways that make sense. Blow up the fuel cell and it no longer has a chance to drop one, destroy the optics and there's no chance of it dropping any, and so on.

5) Just because you run out of stamina doesn't mean you're unable to run, you'll just be jogging instead of sprinting

6) AP is not necessarily superior to JHP or Soft-point. If you're shooting at armored bits then AP is better, but if they're exposed then the 'softer' rounds will actually do more.

7) Medkits restore a certain number of hitpoints, whereas a few perks will increase your total hitpoints, though the displayed number is still out of 100. That doesn't mean you're healing less as you take that perk, think of it more as if your health is a percentage, not an absolute

8) Silencers are more useful than you might think, if for no other reason than to limit how many robots you alert while you're fighting.

9) Sometimes you'll need to work out a jumping puzzle to get some items/collectables at any given location. Also note that if it says that weapons are in a location, that's pre-placed weapons, not loot in boxes.

10) Gas masks help reduce damage from toxic clouds, but they don't make you immune to it. And you have to equip it as an article of clothing like anything else.

11) Clothing resistance bonuses aren't big, but every bit adds up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Generation Zero is an awesome game but it still kind of annoys me that after 120 hours in the game I had, like, +3% to explosive resistance and +2% to stealth and that was the best I could do with crafting.

Also I cannot believe I never noticed the loot depended on what you destroyed, drat all those targeted fuel cell kills

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Supposedly it's also affected by what you have or don't have. Apparently if you don't have many/any adrenaline shots then you're more likely to find some.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How is it solo?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's definitely playable (I mostly play solo), but there are a number of perks that are mostly/completely useless solo.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Steam sale hit, so here are a few requests. Anything for:
Core Keeper
F.I.S.T. Forged In Shadow Torch
while True learn()
Wildermyth
Retro Machina
Actraiser Renaissance
?

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Kruller posted:

Steam sale hit, so here are a few requests. Anything for:
Core Keeper
F.I.S.T. Forged In Shadow Torch
while True learn()
Wildermyth
Retro Machina
Actraiser Renaissance
?

Personally did not care for FIST, did not feel well to play and the combat wasn’t engaging at all

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Kruller posted:

Actraiser Renaissance?

You'd think there'd be something on the wiki for the original Actraiser (1990). There is not. Weird. Sorry I can't help.

Will my experience with apparent goon favorite Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire be harmed if I don't play the less-acclaimed original?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

You'd think there'd be something on the wiki for the original Actraiser (1990). There is not. Weird. Sorry I can't help.

Will my experience with apparent goon favorite Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire be harmed if I don't play the less-acclaimed original?

Pillars? No. The sequel is a vastly improved experience in almost every way except the main story. All that matters is you're spoiled on the big reveal at the end of the first game about the state of the world.

Pillars 1 is like the doorstopper novel you read to get the intro into a 10 book series and Pillars 2 is a collection of great short stories based in the world all with some overarching connection.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I will say though that the second time through the series was an improvement over the first time, as you have had the chance to absorb all the new fantasy world terminology by osmosis your first time through

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

All that matters is you're spoiled on the big reveal at the end of the first game about the state of the world..

Which is arguably a good thing, because to be honest I wasn't really grabbed by pillars' setting at all until it got to that reveal, which doesn't come until like the last act of the first game. If I knew the whole time I'd probably have been paying more attention.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah Pillars was good, but 2 is great. It is able to showcase much more of the uniqueness and cultural stuff present in the setting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

2 is also just a much more fun game to play, shifting pretty much everything to “per encounter” uses was v smart. I didn’t like the spell slot thing in 1 at all, didn’t fit the pace of the game very well

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Are there any tips or tricks for the first Ori game I should know?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Got the Battlestar Galatica: Deadlock game. I know absolutely nothing about the setting and it seems like it could have some nasty surprises in store.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Which is arguably a good thing, because to be honest I wasn't really grabbed by pillars' setting at all until it got to that reveal, which doesn't come until like the last act of the first game. If I knew the whole time I'd probably have been paying more attention.

even that big twist felt like a wet fart of a unique surprising plot revelation because it just boiled down to "the gods are former mortals" which is a stock fantasy trope, and since there is direct proof that they have very real control over death and the afterlife, it's even more inconsequential.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Kruller posted:

while True learn()

It's pretty simple and straightforward. Learn the lesson / get the new node, apply it in growing complexity over a few levels, learn a new lesson / get a new node...

Don't fuss about getting full stars on each level (unless you want the challenge) - I can't remember what the reward for full stars is, but it didn't strike me as worth the effort.

The "business" things can buy a few upgrades, but I don't think any are necessary to finish the game. Play a few to get the feel for them & if you want to buy something from the shop, otherwise don't feel like you need to engage with the management side of the game. Also, once you get a business running well, it'll quite quickly drop off in revenues, so don't expect to be rolling in cash because the first business is working well after three cycles.

That's what I can remember from when I played through it last year.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds

• There's no hand-holding. No quest journal, no arrows pointing the way. If you're not playing with a hint book by your side, you'll need to really think.
  • It's pretty hard. Easy difficulty is for the average guy, normal is for grognards.
  • There's no level scaling. You will bump into monsters you can't beat at that time. For example, right inside the entrance to the sewers is a headless. it will murderize you at normal difficulty, and is very tough even at easy. Avoid it and come back later. There are more monsters deeper in the sewers that you won't be able to beat for a dozen more levels.
  • It's best to be a swordsman. The sword trainer (Lobar in Killorn Keep) is twice as effective as the other trainers. Also, strength determines how much you can carry, which is very important.
  • Most locked doors need to be bashed open. Carry a few lovely weapons for this.
  • Use the look command on everything. EVERYTHING.
  • When you look at a monster, if it is not hostile, do not attack.
  • After you clear the prison world, you have a choice of Killorn Keep or an ice world. Choose the former first.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds

• There's no hand-holding. No quest journal, no arrows pointing the way. If you're not playing with a hint book by your side, you'll need to really think.
  • It's pretty hard. Easy difficulty is for the average guy, normal is for grognards.
  • There's no level scaling. You will bump into monsters you can't beat at that time. For example, right inside the entrance to the sewers is a headless. it will murderize you at normal difficulty, and is very tough even at easy. Avoid it and come back later. There are more monsters deeper in the sewers that you won't be able to beat for a dozen more levels.
  • It's best to be a swordsman. The sword trainer (Lobar in Killorn Keep) is twice as effective as the other trainers. Also, strength determines how much you can carry, which is very important.
  • Most locked doors need to be bashed open. Carry a few lovely weapons for this.
  • Use the look command on everything. EVERYTHING.
  • When you look at a monster, if it is not hostile, do not attack.
  • After you clear the prison world, you have a choice of Killorn Keep or an ice world. Choose the former first.

- no need for a hintbook as long as you remember to make notes (and the map has a good annotation option) and listen to what people are saying
- regarding Strength and other stats: IIRC there are few or no ways to improve them during the game; if you roll lovely stats, just create a new character instead of pushing through (for Strength, 25+ is ok)
- as for non-hostile creatures, they can often be aggroed by events, conversation choices, or taking their belongings ("you see a day-old piece of cheese belonging to a rat"). Look before you grab.
- but don't use the clunky command bar. Click & drag RMB is a far easier and more versatile option for interacting, LMB for looking around (1/2/3 for looking up/down). After some trial and error you might even get some early/clunky WAXD+mouselook.
- shift-J is a standing long jump. The manual probably mentions it, but it's a lifesaver.
- IIRC different types of weapons have different optimal attacks; for swords it's the bottom stabbing one, I forgot which was which for axes/maces
- at some point (late-ish) during the game you'll get an Enchant Item spell. It's extremely powerful and stacks about a dozen times (upgrading the item all the way to Unsurpassed). If you cast it on a magical item, it'll upgrade the existing enchantment (damage, accuracy, etc.); if you cast on a mundane item, you'll get Toughness, which makes it lose durability more slowly. It's sometimes worth hoarding minor magical items to upgrade later.
- IMPORTANT: at some point during the game the castle servants will go on strike. Do try to appease them, otherwise you risk breaking an essential step of the main quest (I don't remember if that was ever patched).

Also gently caress you, now I'll have to reinstall UW.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous? I like the idea of a CRPG that has more build freedom (my goal is to do a necromancer) but I have to say the glut of tabletop mechanics they throw at you is intimidating.

Actually nm I'll save y'all some time and just read the wiki. Unless someone just feels like talking Pathfinder in which case I'm all ears.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 28, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous? I like the idea of a CRPG that has more build freedom (my goal is to do a necromancer) but I have to say the glut of tabletop mechanics they throw at you is intimidating.

Actually nm I'll save y'all some time and just read the wiki. Unless someone just feels like talking Pathfinder in which case I'm all ears.

The wiki has a lot, but there's a ton of mechani s and numbers in the game that would confuse experienced crpg players. Plus stuff that is bugged or doesn't work.

The thread is a lot more helpful especially for anything like "I want to make a character with levels in 3 different classes" which is the kind of thing you need to plan from 1-20 until you have a solid grasp of the systems.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If you find yourself having a wonderful time in Wrath of the Righteous and then suddenly a not-even-plot-critical boss destroys your entire party without taking any significant damage, just turn the difficulty down to the lowest level and kill it and laugh. There is no achievement for reloading 50 times to power through lovely unbalanced fights (looking at you, random tribal chieftain with 8 massive ranged attacks per round) and honestly 99% of the game feels entirely correct in difficulty compared to the swings of the first game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Weird West?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

If you find yourself having a wonderful time in Wrath of the Righteous and then suddenly a not-even-plot-critical boss destroys your entire party without taking any significant damage, just turn the difficulty down to the lowest level and kill it and laugh. There is no achievement for reloading 50 times to power through lovely unbalanced fights (looking at you, random tribal chieftain with 8 massive ranged attacks per round) and honestly 99% of the game feels entirely correct in difficulty compared to the swings of the first game.

There's a lot of silver bullets you end up getting access to as the game progresses. If you can abuse stat drain abilities you can kill some bosses in a single round.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's touched upon already in the wiki, but just to reinforce it--you are very unlikely to get the true/secret ending by accident on the first try so I would honestly just put it out of your mind on your first run; you'll probably need a guide to unlock it, and I thought the role-playing in this game was really well done, and it would be very unsatisfying to just consult a guide before making every serious decision on your first run. Just have fun and don't think about it imo

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Are there any tips or tricks for the first Ori game I should know?

Belated response, but:

If you have the option between the original and the definitive edition, 100% get the latter. The DE takes all the poo poo that was missable or point of no return in the original, and makes it so you can always backtrack later; it also adds a fast travel system.

You can make your own save points ("soul links") starting very early on by spending a smidgen of energy, and with one of the early Efficiency tree upgrades, making a new save point heals you too. Lean heavily on this mechanic and save regularly; if nothing else, consider it a way to convert energy into health.

The first Ori game is very, very light on required combat. Accordingly you should probably de-prioritize the Combat skill tree until you've maxed out Efficiency and Utility, as they offer more all-rounder benefits.

Once you get Bash, stop thinking of enemies and projectiles as threats that you need to dodge or kill, and start thinking of them as stepping stones to facilitate your movement.

Finally, remember that it's a metroidvania - the more thorough you are about exploring and periodic backtracking, the more upgrades you'll have and the easier the game will get.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Vil posted:

Belated response, but:

Thank you so much!!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the witcher enhanced edition

any tips/essential mods or anything i should know about?

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Awesome! posted:

Don't let it turn you off on the rest of the series for years & years like I did.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

mystery at hog island posted:

Don't let it turn you off on the rest of the series for years & years like I did.
Conversely, if you discover you are actually good at the rhythm combat like I did, do not then get so frustrated by Witcher 2's combat being so hard you fail the tutorial stop you from playing it for 5 years like I did

Basically never let the Witcher get you down and you will be rewarded

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Awesome! posted:

I think there's an improved combat mod - no idea whether it's any good, but if the combat doesn't click for you...

Otherwise, the tips here:
https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Question about Persona 5: Royal. I've read the tips on the wiki and appreciate them, but I'm wondering more about allocating my time - how tight are things? Is it reasonably possible to max out most of the stats/relationships you want in your first run without slavishly following a guide? Should I be following a guide? Doing so doesn't bother me, it's more an issue of how much effort I need to put into planning things.

Relatedly, are there easy ways to break the game with fusions, or should I just roll with whatever and call it good?

(I've never played an SMT or Persona game before.)