Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sarrisan posted:

This game is going to suck up far too much of my time. I've spent 4?ish hours just basically starting over constantly while learning the basics and I'm still thinking about it all day at work.

Hopefully no minds a question - any idea why the distro office on the right can't connect to the customs house on the left?

https://imgur.com/a/hCHn8oD

edit: whelp, no idea why the embed isn't working but there is the link.

The bus platforms apparently do not count as a through road. The bus stops do, but the platforms don't, oddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The bus platforms apparently do not count as a through road. The bus stops do, but the platforms don't, oddly.

Well, poo poo. I was thinking about that while making dinner, so thanks for confirming. An additional thing that was bugging me - is there a way to tell the game to start new buildings with resource auto-buy turned off? I looked everywhere for a toggle and had no luck but with these types of games I know better than to assume that means it doesn't exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sarrisan posted:

Well, poo poo. I was thinking about that while making dinner, so thanks for confirming. An additional thing that was bugging me - is there a way to tell the game to start new buildings with resource auto-buy turned off? I looked everywhere for a toggle and had no luck but with these types of games I know better than to assume that means it doesn't exist.

I don't think so, no, but I assume that will be a thing with the new cosmonaut mode we might be getting next patch. I think generally the idea of playing the game without using any of the convenience features wasn't quite expected by the devs so they didn't bother to include that toggle.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

There definitely is a way to turn off autobuy, considering the last ~10 buildings I needed it on (mostly grocery stores, which definitely default to autobuy) all came with it turned off, but I'm not sure what that option is without actively looking at the game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Any tips for increasing performance . My sprawling cosmonaut map is starting to heat up the room and crash . Snow is not good. I read online that turning off auto detect jobs in the COs help . Anything else ?

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
You can disable the auto-buy stuff from blueprint mode, and for some buildings like residential you can disable the auto-import-population even once it's building. For residential you just select the blueprint/construction and scroll down and the checkbox to auto-import pop is there. For regular buildings like grocery, gas station etc it's available in that little construction planner window at the bottom-right, if you've minimized the mini-map and instead expanded the construction planner interface (via the little + icon) it's in there. Once you disable it for a building it'll remember for the same building type the next time you build it also.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

There definitely is a way to turn off autobuy, considering the last ~10 buildings I needed it on (mostly grocery stores, which definitely default to autobuy) all came with it turned off, but I'm not sure what that option is without actively looking at the game.

There's a little checkbox in the lower right when you have a building that would consume goods selected. It's a global setting so toggling it will apply to all buildings.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Lol, I must have somehow managed to narrowly avoid seeing that pop-up over and over. Nice to know its there, though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

How long do people's trains end up being usually? Planning out rail infrastructure (while debating whether or not I'm only sticking with this save because of sunk costs...), and with no trains running yet I have no idea how much I need to work with.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The short depot allows a maximum length of 150m and I use that as my measuring stick for signals and things. I’ve never found a reason for a longer train that wasn’t better met by just running multiple trains.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The short depot allows a maximum length of 150m and I use that as my measuring stick for signals and things. I’ve never found a reason for a longer train that wasn’t better met by just running multiple trains.

Long trains look cool as gently caress.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Firos posted:

I’ve been broken on the wheel of logic

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Firos posted:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Noted. Roughly what I used for laying out infrastructure just now.
For 3 1/2 hours. Only to stop playing very soon after. Because a) I hosed up a lot of structure, b) gently caress I hate the water mechanics with a passion already.
Going to restart next time, I definitely have it figured out now. Assuming there is a next time, this game definitely has bad effects on me brain- and time-wise.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Noted. Roughly what I used for laying out infrastructure just now.
For 3 1/2 hours. Only to stop playing very soon after. Because a) I hosed up a lot of structure, b) gently caress I hate the water mechanics with a passion already.
Going to restart next time, I definitely have it figured out now. Assuming there is a next time, this game definitely has bad effects on me brain- and time-wise.

Water and sewer feel like maybe the worst mechanic. I enable it because I have to do All The Things but my initial excitement for it is gone and when anyone asks going forward I'll recommend disabling it until you also need All The Things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IRL locos are expensive so they try to run long trains.

in game you would probably rather just spend some money to save the hassle of organizing very long trains.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There's a small part of me that hopes that larger maps could unlock more opportunities for longer trains and stuff, but I suspect the game will kneecap itself with processing power well before we get into anything more macro than reasonably filling the current map size.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Water and sewer feel like maybe the worst mechanic. I enable it because I have to do All The Things but my initial excitement for it is gone and when anyone asks going forward I'll recommend disabling it until you also need All The Things.

Water isn't even that bad, it's sewage that's a pain in the rear end thanks largely to the slope mechanic. Terrible design.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I generally find it to be fine, as long as you plan your city with it in mind, you have to put your treatment and discharge points at a lower level than the city, so check the overall slope of the terrain before you site the city.

The main thing I would like is if you could have combined water/sewage substations and/or pipe runs.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
The longer a train is the more collectivist it is.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Even if you build your city in a ravine you can still truck the sewage out. There's a septic tank and leach field building on the workshop that looks like it'd make it easier to deal with the sewage needs of isolated communities but I haven't tried it yet.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm seeing a weird issue. I've got the conveyor mod pack and have a bunch of conveyor towers connected by paths and not roads.

Now it's telling me there is no road connection to any of the conveyor belts between those towers.

Is there no way to use construction crews on conveyer belts when there is no road connecting the towers? Which would be weird since I had no problem building the towers that were only connected by paths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm seeing a weird issue. I've got the conveyor mod pack and have a bunch of conveyor towers connected by paths and not roads.

Now it's telling me there is no road connection to any of the conveyor belts between those towers.

Is there no way to use construction crews on conveyer belts when there is no road connecting the towers? Which would be weird since I had no problem building the towers that were only connected by paths.

Those towers do have issues with construction if they are only connected by paths, I don't know if there is a flag in the building file or something the modder needs to set to control how they are built, but there are some vanilla buildings as well that just don't like being connected only by paths, not really sure why. For buildings that take deliveries it makes sense but I think I've had it with other types of building too.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Those towers do have issues with construction if they are only connected by paths, I don't know if there is a flag in the building file or something the modder needs to set to control how they are built, but there are some vanilla buildings as well that just don't like being connected only by paths, not really sure why. For buildings that take deliveries it makes sense but I think I've had it with other types of building too.

Speaking of buildings taking deliveries: how exactly is the vanilla pub supposed to receive alcohol? It's available for distribution offices to go to but it has no vehicle loading/unloading and no factory connections, just the internal storage. Are they stuck on autobuy only to stay supplied? (I've been using modded ones instead that fill the gap, just an unusual oversight.)

Started over with a more difficult setup and without immediately going for oil processing money-printing... this is much more difficult but hopefully I'll make it work out. Biggest issue so far is just keeping everything staffed that's not in walking distance, as usual.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think it's something like path connections are hard coded not to be valid construction sites for trimming extending from the building. I think the mod readme specifically calls out you're getting fire truck access most of all, building the base building is a bonus, and you need a road path at one end to build the belt itself.

E. I don't recall all the exact foibles but I definitely remember making a conscious decision to sticking to the elevated part of the mod which naturally frees up room for roads anyway as paths seemed not extremely useful.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 30, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Speaking of buildings taking deliveries: how exactly is the vanilla pub supposed to receive alcohol? It's available for distribution offices to go to but it has no vehicle loading/unloading and no factory connections, just the internal storage. Are they stuck on autobuy only to stay supplied? (I've been using modded ones instead that fill the gap, just an unusual oversight.)

Started over with a more difficult setup and without immediately going for oil processing money-printing... this is much more difficult but hopefully I'll make it work out. Biggest issue so far is just keeping everything staffed that's not in walking distance, as usual.

Can it not accept deliveries? I guess I can't say I have paid close attention but I thought it just accepted trucks like anything else.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every building has a driveway which accepts and doles out all inputs and outputs. Usually slower than purpose made connections with purpose made unloader/loader.

This includes worker delivery.

Some places it's your only choice.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Can it not accept deliveries? I guess I can't say I have paid close attention but I thought it just accepted trucks like anything else.

I've had mine set up to feed from the same warehouses as my other pubs, without a shortage of alcohol to feed them with & set to dispatch a truck at 60% or so, and the vanilla pubs are consistently out of alcohol entirely while the workshop ones don't drop below ~50% reserve. It's possible they're accepting deliveries and just burning through those deliveries way faster despite having lower capacities and being situated further away from population centers... but it's still weird behavior.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do the workshop ones have larger warehouses?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Do the workshop ones have larger warehouses?

I'm not able to boot the game up right now, and the wiki unsurprisingly has zero documentation on the pub at all. Am I correct in remembering it's either 7.5t or 10t in the pub? If so, the larger one does have a 20t storage... which still raises the question of why my distribution trucks apparently can't manage to do a round trip of about 600 meters in the time it takes to go from 60% of (whatever the vanilla pub capacity is) to zero, or why the "train themed bar" here similarly never ran out of stock on a 3.5t storage despite the two being located a couple blocks from each other.

I mean, the problem itself is "solved" for me - I just use the workshop ones and they stay stocked. (They do have slightly different space requirements, and the dots extending way beyond the building edges is seriously loving up placement in my current save in a way it didn't with the same buildings on my last save... but that's a problem I can work around at least.) Just trying to understand the weird behavior since this game is so poorly documented across the board.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Next annoying issue with this game. I have a road beside a steep slope and I want to build a road there. But I can't level it because it's close to the road.

Is my only option to delete the road, level the ground then build the road I want?

I also desperately wish this game would put in a level for road option. Built a train overpass and it took loving forever to level it enough to get the track back down to ground level.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't recall but I think pubs have a very small storage by default, a lot of the end consumer buildings do, they are often a use-case for the small delivery trucks for that reason because big truck capacity is wasted on them.

You could probably resolve the issue by bumping up the keep stocked percent and providing more, but possibly smaller trucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

Next annoying issue with this game. I have a road beside a steep slope and I want to build a road there. But I can't level it because it's close to the road.

Is my only option to delete the road, level the ground then build the road I want?

I also desperately wish this game would put in a level for road option. Built a train overpass and it took loving forever to level it enough to get the track back down to ground level.

You should be able to level it by just pushing the level tool away from the road some. Also as I said earlier the terrain tools go faster the more bulldozers you have in range.

Though if you are trying to put a T junction on an inclined road then yes you will have to demolish it because you literally need to put a flat spot in for the intersection, you can't make inclined intersections they have to be flat.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That may be the best solution, yeah. Both in my current game and the one where I was noticing these issues, I standardized all my vehicles as much as I could per class - I don't remember which open and covered trucks I was using for the issue game (70s - it might have been the RTTN variants?), but right now it's all T148 variants everywhere they can be used (except dump trucks at my quarry, which are the obnoxiously slow 25t ones) on account of the speed/cargo/engine power balance. (And the lovely buses because the Mars 305 doesn't exist yet in 1960.) Smaller bed trucks dedicated to supplying this stuff might be the way to go.

I'll follow up once this new republic is at least a little bit stable. Unfortunately, with most of the oil and all of the iron on the map very distant from me, stability may be a ways off still.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the pub is obnoxiously small. 1.5 or 3t. Really hard to use with DCs, I used routes last time I set them up.

A DC will only send trucks for the amount missing. For the really small buildings that means one truck will get sent for ex. 40%, it'll be too slow for reasons, and a second truck gets sent out for 60%, and it all gets into a death spiral where you don't have goods for about as long as the truck round trip takes. The devs have recommended routes for these sorts of deliveries.

It actually has a real world analog to store delivery. There's pre sale and spot sale. Pre sale works like a DC in game where someone says they need X now because of their current stock situation and they get X delivered on demand. Spot sale is a bit like routes where I load up a truck and visit store 1, 2, 3 etc and sell you what you want on the spot. In real life I'll go home and get more if I run out at store 2 but a game truck keeps going to 3 which is disappointing but I'll take it on the chin as a bad economy planner.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

You should be able to level it by just pushing the level tool away from the road some. Also as I said earlier the terrain tools go faster the more bulldozers you have in range.

Though if you are trying to put a T junction on an inclined road then yes you will have to demolish it because you literally need to put a flat spot in for the intersection, you can't make inclined intersections they have to be flat.

I keep trying to use the terrain and have my housing blocks be a bit more "natural" but then leveling the ground for a housing block means I can't connect a road to it and then to level that I have to delete the housing block and level to put the road in.

So now I just flatten everything and then everything works

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would strongly recommend liberal application of the level to center and smoothing tool, don't use the automatic leveling because yes that will just carve out a specifically building shaped chunk which will not match with the surrounding terrain.

You can do elevation changes but generally you don't want to build on them, they should be open spaces, basically. If you want to work with the terrain I would advise to level off chunks of it and then draw the roads following the contour lines, with embankments being largely left as fields or forest.

You can build OK on very shallow slopes, but you're never going to build san francisco.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 30, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just play on nearly flat maps

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I've built some decent cities on a slope but they took 3x the time of playing with the terrain tools than they did any actual road or building laying.

Do not recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

euphronius posted:

I just play on nearly flat maps

I thought I was doing that this time. I even did an initial setup that would have been way more successful, but loving with the water system both ate a lot of starting money and had me so displeased I just stopped. Started again and moved to a different part so I could set up an agricultural republic on nice, flat ground near a border post.

The red contour lines were hidden underneath trees. So goddamn many red contour lines.

Editing instead of double posting: I'm making it happen.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 1, 2022