Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Cat scratching tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

I agree with the sentiment that it's hard to follow the action in the Alita example, potentially because of how much the perspective and such varies between panels, as Simply Simon pointed out. Reading the pages without the explanation, I had some trouble figuring out if the panels were meant to be read from left-to-right, or if they had been mirrored for Western audiences, because I couldn't find a cohesive line of action no matter which way I read it.

I'd like to point out though that despite this, those Alita pages mostly read fine because the lack of exact understanding of the action doesn't hurt getting the general idea across, i.e. "martial arts person has great skill in fighting while standing on a sci-fi spear thing, and surprises the protagonist with their moves, hitting them in various weak spots". It only really becomes a major issue if the action is so hard to follow that the reader doesn't really even know what the general gist of the combat situation is, or if the difficult-to-follow action continues for several pages, so that the comic becomes effectively just visual nonsense for a while. It also helps if there are impressive-looking "still" shots among the action; they make the pages look less busy while giving the reader some cool, easily readable content to take in even if the minutiae of the combat weren't discernible.

Yeah, I think this is a good analysis. As an actual fight scene it's not terribly well laid out, but it still works ok as "weird martial arts bullshit is happening."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

coolusername posted:

If people do actually like the look of it this much, I could pick out a few standalone chapters and we can all read about making yurts and hawking together?

I, for one, would be delighted if you did!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

coolusername posted:

Oh, I’m glad. I wasn’t sure since pyf comics is normally more Western webcomics with an action or comedy feel and I burst in with “Yes, the sad fat man haunted by his mcnugget obsession and the beautiful Scandinavian supernatural post-apocalypse and all the bright colourful stuff is wonderful, but what about a slice of life 19th century silk road historical drama mostly made to show this artist flexing her skill at inking carpets.” So it’s hard to tell if it’s ironic or not. :downs:

If people do actually like the look of it this much, I could pick out a few standalone chapters and we can all read about making yurts and hawking together?

With all the sincerity I can muster, I Am Here For Yurtposting

e: turn on yurt monitor

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jun 27, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I yearnt for yurts

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I crave more carpets

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tree Bucket posted:

e: turn on yurt monitor

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wow, just coming out swinging at the sad fat man haunted by a mcnugget obsession, huh

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wow, just coming out swinging at the sad fat man haunted by a mcnugget obsession, huh

Yep, Mikkel must wander the nordic wasteland haunted by the knowledge that mcdonalds is gone forever and he never got to taste it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

Yep, Mikkel must wander the nordic wasteland haunted by the knowledge that mcdonalds is gone forever and he never got to taste it.

There's a reason why everyone but the danes chose to forget the past.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

His Divine Shadow posted:

And of course the anime has such good fights, the 1st sesaon anyway has such good animation it's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km2OPUctni4

I love Saitama, that goofy dumbass.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samovar posted:

If I'm going to be honest, I have no clue what the hell is happening for the unarmed fighter to be beating the other one. This seems utterly disorganized to me.

I mean, the other one is better, but I also find the people commentating on it to be breaking up the flow of what is happening to be quite obnoxious.

It's definitely dependent on you being familiar with the tropes of the genre. The two dudes commenting on the action is absolutely an iron clad rule in this type of manga

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Emzedoh posted:

I know none of you meant any judgement, it's just a bit tough to be told one of your favourite things is crap actually.

Just how it is, I might see if I can find something else I like that people also like tomorrow.

I'm going to sleep now, good night!

Yeah... I was worried I was coming off a bit superior with my comments. You like it - hey, that's cool.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1540934021772988416

So we might be getting 15 strips per day for a little bit....

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

some plague rats posted:

Yeah I couldn't figure that one out either, but I've never seen a fight drawn in a manga that I've actually thought was good so I wasn't going to say anything because it's just not for me in general

Not to mention that instead of having clear, easy to follow action that demonstrates through action and response how to feel, just having a bunch of spectators going BWUUUUH THE ANCIENT TECHNIQUE GARA SARA NO GUJITSU!!?? WAAAAH!! is the absolute epitome of telling, not showing

Here's a good metric: if you remove all the dialogue from a fight, can you still tell what's happening. Who's winning, how, etc

I feel extremely similarly.

I do think that rabbit-hunting scene from A Bride’s Story was quite good, though.

Once again, I largely dislike fight scenes in comics in general. And, while I think manga tends to be the worst offender, I see the same thing from western serialized superhero comics. And, I'm not trying to insult people or the things that they like. But, I think the huge flaw that these comics have is that so much of the action is there just because the artist wants to make something that looks cool. I think a lot of these really disjointed and confusing panels come are supposed to have a "WHOAA HOLY poo poo" effect on the reader. My personal tastes lean really far into the insufferable artsy comics, so that type of thing inherently doesn't appeal to me, but I think the reason it's really so bad is that it doesn't have a real meaningful purpose for the story and tends to violate existing standards on how to convey things in the medium.

I think there's a lot of "convention" on how to depict things in an effective manner (e.g. conveying motion with that Tom & Jerry "Line of Action" tutorial). Or, like I mentioned, the color palette used in the Necropolis fight scene follows color theory conventions to achieve emotional effect. If you don't have a purpose for your fight besides "whoa that was cool", you're not incentivized to reach into that depth of convention for stylistic choices to achieve such a thing. And, if you're not using convention, you're incentivized to break away from it to be more interesting from a standpoint of novelty. But, the end result is just that the final product doesn't really make sense.

The color palette thing isn't really inherent to action scenes, but is much easier to talk about compared to the mechanics of illustrating motion, so I'll use it as an example, and hopefully it's easy enough to understand how this sort of thing translates to the designs of a lot of manga and superhero comics. It's unfortunately very hard to articulate these points. Take for example how Necropolis used the dark red and purple tones to convey panic, danger, and claustrophobia. If your comic uses a non-standard color palette just because it looks "cool", you completely lose the ability to use color in that way (or at least it becomes very difficult to weave those two things together). You lose emotional impact and meaning just for the sake of something that looks "cool". Flouting color convention can make something visually interesting, but it comes at the cost of the value that convention has, and why it's used in the first place. That doesn't mean it isn't something you should do, but I also think it shouldn't be done lightly, and if you want to truly make a great comic, you need to make sure you can make up for these deficiencies elsewhere.

But anyway, I think a similar effect happens in a lot of manga et al. To have these crazy fight sequences with powers you've never seen before and insane moves, you're kind of inherently pulled away from the clean, concise methods of illustrating action. I think there's a reason the action of that rabbit-hunt scene works so well and is so easy to follow, and it's because it's such a simple, well-developed set of actions. No one is going to look at that and be like "HOLY poo poo THE THING THAT CHARACTER DID WAS SO SICK!!!", but at the same time it's incredibly easy to follow what is going on, and I think has a very powerful emotional impact, through the mechanisms coolusername described, even though the action itself is pretty simple.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think a good action scene can be done with weird powers.

Here's one from Sleepless Domain:

Here we have character with the power of splitting herself into two, fighting one who can control water. But the action is easy to follow, and key to this is there isn't actually a lot of action. There's maybe five moves total happening between those eight pages. The fight moves exist to punctuate the actual argument between the characters, and the scenario as a whole just covers the plot beat that they got into a fight.
Also worth noting that, although they are arguing, they don't argue and fight at the same time. This is helped by the fact only one character is actually being aggressive, so she gets to choose whether they're swinging or yelling; in a more mutually hostile scenario you're better off finding other ways to get dialogue done.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
speaking of fight scenes

Ten Earth Shattering Blows

ander just spending the whole fight chilling in a heap of bodies

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And now for something completely different.

The Lustiges Taschenbuch (LTB in short) is a series of German comic book collections, published each month since 1967. It consists primarily of Donald Duck comics by European artists.

I am primarily drawing from r/ltb_iel because I can't be arsed to scan them myself. Translations are mine. Might also contain Carl Barks and Don Rosa even though they rarely get published in LTB.

A device to smile permanently, so nobody realises how I feel.

Fare well, oh wretched world! I shall drown my sorrows in the depth of the sea!

Always these hollow promises

Everyone should have a million! Then nobody would have to work.

Excuse me? I'm supposed to sleep outside in wind and weather?

Why, no! Why do you think bridges exist?

How does he do it, being happy in a dictatorship?

He is the dictator.

Are you alone today, Mr. Duck?

Alone with my sorrows.

I will pay for all damages…

Slow down! And what about the violations of the law?

…and I will donate a significant sum to the police!

That significantly changes the situation!

I can't believe it! The government finally cares about us poor, afflicted billionaires!

Sigh! And I've been working for two weeks so the kids can go on holidays!

By the way, how much pay does my Nephew expect of me?

We had agreed on 100 Taler, hadn't we?

If you read something useful from time to time you'd know that…

…your debts inevitably eat your salary, my friend, hehe!

(He's reading the Book of Laws for the Clever Exploiter)

When will you return?

As soon as I have rid humanity from the plight of work. Take care!

We no longer want to the slaves of Capital!

Precisely! Bravo!

Am I being fooled by a spectre? (Hard to translate, but yes, that spectre)

"Or I could become an astronaut and go on a one-way voyage to the stars"

"Lastly, only the foreign legion remains as an option"

All of that seems more pleasant than looking reality in the eye!

You mean, if I stop destroying the environment, it's a good investment in the future of my business?

Uncle Donald terrorises us. Are we going to put up with this?

Never! Where injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty! (This quote is misattributed to Berthold Brecht, but its origins are unclear)

What is going on? People must consume! That is a matter of survival for us businessmen!

Pretty crazy, those rich people! Despite having everything they are constantly on the quest for more!

Those poor people!

In essence:

I suddenly feel called to Revolution!

Oh dear.

Antigravitas has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Jun 27, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

flying glans jellyfish

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The main thing I need in a fight scene is a reason to care about the outcome. Not generally strictly part of the fight scene itself since it's way easier to do in advance. Normally it sorts itself out but sometimes someone decides to have a fight between two shitheads I hate both of, or decides to start in media res with an "exciting" fight that's actually extremely boring because who are these people and why should I care

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

In essence:

I suddenly feel called to Revolution!

Oh dear.

Lmao I love this. Das Kapi-Duck

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Today: Saber thinks he's so cleverly funny

Apocalypse Johto—Battlefield Kanto Part 4: Silver Standard
Chapter 34: Power Surge

And all this talk about fight scenes... I'm currently kind of struggling with a fight scene myself, but in a different way. It's in my fanfic, so it's all in writing, which definitely presents its own set of challenges!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i absolutely love tom and jerry, thanks for posting that old direction of motion poster again i've seen it before and it's great. but there's one thing to consider in trying to adhere to the rules it lays out: tom and jerry are text book definition cartoon characters. all of the poses and motions are WILDLY exaggerated to fit their genre. if you're going for more realistic action sequences it's better to stick with how a human body moves wrt musculature and bone structure.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
homo, homare, homavi, homatus

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Steppe Into The Ring E01-U09

Steppe Into The Ring E01-U10

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

i absolutely love tom and jerry, thanks for posting that old direction of motion poster again i've seen it before and it's great. but there's one thing to consider in trying to adhere to the rules it lays out: tom and jerry are text book definition cartoon characters. all of the poses and motions are WILDLY exaggerated to fit their genre. if you're going for more realistic action sequences it's better to stick with how a human body moves wrt musculature and bone structure.

Oh absolutely. But it’s still potentially useful to consider. There are similar ideas at play in fighting games:
https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1225886892320641024

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If you are going to be posting poo poo, please make the images small enough to scroll past. We don't need two wizardmasters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
ORDINARY PEOPLE

APPROPRIATIVE PEOPLE

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Please, I'm begging you, please stop this poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh i love these

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The wizardmaster virus has breached containment

Initiate lockdown and user profile purges immediately

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Should have been morbed.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Yeah I remember Tumblr mocking the poo poo out of these like, over half a decade ago

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
alright I'm done with exams and have time to post again, so get ready for more New Adventures of the Duck Avenger, this time diving into issue #16, Extraordinary Maintenance

Written by Alessando Sisti (like a third of the issues so far), art by Lorenzo Pastrovicchio (Trauma)

this is a story about ducklair tower, which is really the fifth character

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ChubbyChecker posted:

Creative people
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943503

Go here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e-dt