Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/flamingopunch/status/1540823076220407809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The next game set in Fodlan needs to be an Inn simulator starring Raphael and his family after the war is over

edit: literally just Bear and Breakfast but with our Large Son

edit2: I will say I didn’t expect my favorite pairing for Shez to be Hapi but the two of them fit together very well.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 26, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hapi has an incredibly support line with Bernie in this game too.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I beat Golden Wildfire! Kinda? I think that bit around chapter 10 where the pop up was like my actions will have a big effect on the story going forward may have wanted me to not mindlessly try to punch Blythe's face at every opportunity but like... gently caress that. Only one MC can survive!

Anyway I never figured out Shez's backstory and the war ending is left on a maybe. Time for, I dunno, Lions I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Caidin posted:

I beat Golden Wildfire! Kinda? I think that bit around chapter 10 where the pop up was like my actions will have a big effect on the story going forward may have wanted me to not mindlessly try to punch Blythe's face at every opportunity but like... gently caress that. Only one MC can survive!

Anyway I never figured out Shez's backstory and the war ending is left on a maybe. Time for, I dunno, Lions I guess.

How many chapters are there, and is there a New Game+ for other paths?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bruceski posted:

How many chapters are there, and is there a New Game+ for other paths?

15 for wildfire, and yeah there is a new game for that. Supports, money, equipment and resources carry over, class levels are optionally.

Edit: I had that mixed up, Support levels carrying over are optional. Class levels carry over.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 27, 2022

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Is there any particular reason you'd want to reset support levels?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Call me cynical but the endings to me screamed “Buy the DLC for the rest of the ending!” “Discount if you buy all three endings together!” Hell even if you do the Arval side quest you still don’t learn what the hell is going on.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Wow, thanks to everyone for the explanations and screenshots!

There is a lot I have not been noticing in the heat of battle so far. I didn't even realize that you could choose vulnaries from the R-button menu, I've been going to the map every time I want to heal someone, even when I'm controlling them. And I didn't even know about that ability you can activate with ZR.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inu posted:

There is a lot I have not been noticing in the heat of battle so far. I didn't even realize that you could choose vulnaries from the R-button menu, I've been going to the map every time I want to heal someone, even when I'm controlling them. And I didn't even know about that ability you can activate with ZR.

Some of them are huge. The MC gets a dash that really helps with mobility when you need to get places quickly.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So, following up on whether Essence of X affects character actions abilities, even though it doesn't say so in the description it does appear to as I triggered Marianne's ice ability and had Essence of Ice triggering in the upper left during the whole time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Terper posted:

If you press Y twice when looking in the class tree, you can see what abilities you get from those classes.
:psyduck:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Man all the Raphael supports are so wholesome. :3: Dude just wants to run his inn and cook some delicious food. I almost feel bad about the fact that despite joining late he's already got a five digit body count because his War Master class is absurd. Almost.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah there's not as many support conversations as in Three Houses but got dang did they go for quality. Ferdinand's supports with Edelgard and Hubert are a whole journey on their own.

I also like how they pepper in little tidbits to respond to questions raised by Houses, like (Shamir/Hapi C) the statue in the Abyss being the Dagdan god of fate, (Edelgard/Monica A) Edelgard knowing that Kronya was a fake Monica and pretending otherwise because she knows how precarious her position is and (Edelgard/Hubert A) Edelgard canonically being completely infatuated with Byleth because they share a Crest of Flames.

Also just unlocked Marianne/Bernie's C support and my gosh :3:

I'm also not very good at swapping units and had to force myself to not just control Shez 90% of the time. Which I eventually managed, but now I'm using Jeritza nearly as exclusively instead. Tell me it's not just me.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
My selection process is always "whichever two units are energized + whoever has type advantage for the map"

anyway here is an irrelevant screenshot

very happy to have his noble BFF back

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah there's not as many support conversations as in Three Houses but got dang did they go for quality. Ferdinand's supports with Edelgard and Hubert are a whole journey on their own.

I also like how they pepper in little tidbits to respond to questions raised by Houses, like (Shamir/Hapi C) the statue in the Abyss being the Dagdan god of fate, (Edelgard/Monica A) Edelgard knowing that Kronya was a fake Monica and pretending otherwise because she knows how precarious her position is and (Edelgard/Hubert A) Edelgard canonically being completely infatuated with Byleth because they share a Crest of Flames.

Also just unlocked Marianne/Bernie's C support and my gosh :3:

I'm also not very good at swapping units and had to force myself to not just control Shez 90% of the time. Which I eventually managed, but now I'm using Jeritza nearly as exclusively instead. Tell me it's not just me.

There's a few I tend to default to, usually the core team of which I take at least one character (Shez, Edelgard, Ferdinand, Bernadetta, Constance) and then the spares I let the AI do its thing or rotate them around in adjudant roles to optimise support building (which is probably an unnecessarily tedious affair, so I might have to drop that eventually)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I know it's an obvious cost saving measure but it's *really* funny to me how every route has the same exact camp layout just with different color banners. Who's out here building this exact same camp all over the continent?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not just every route, but every chapter, even though you've got a map showing that the camp indeed moves around.

Fódlan is just absolutely riddled with old forts built from the same exact blueprint, obviously.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know it's an obvious cost saving measure but it's *really* funny to me how every route has the same exact camp layout just with different color banners. Who's out here building this exact same camp all over the continent?

Maybe camp layout doctrine is a holdover from back when the Empire ruled all of Fodlan, Roman empire style? :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
protip for the thread: if you get the sidequest reward that's [x] number of free blacksmith forges, use those immediately, because they go away next chapter! :v:

also goddamn the smithing stone economy is stingy. ive got 100k gold in my pocket but because i can't just buy smithing stones, I don't get to upgrade any of my good weapons

also also i really wish that "invert mag/str" rings existed. I want Lysithea to be a swordsmaster now that I've stabbed Catherine to death and looted her corpse for her shiny sword

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blaziken386 posted:

also goddamn the smithing stone economy is stingy. ive got 100k gold in my pocket but because i can't just buy smithing stones, I don't get to upgrade any of my good weapons

You could buy weapons at the armorer and trade them for stones at the depot? Unless the armorer also has a limited stock and I never realized.

Also I wish I had 100k, I still want to level some characters, get forges and batallions but I'm constantly running out of money. Although I feel bad doing forges when the next facility forge update will make me erase them, but I'm not sire how long it takes to get the final ones.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Man, Ferdinand/Dorothea shippers are getting a feast.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

also also i really wish that "invert mag/str" rings existed. I want Lysithea to be a swordsmaster

I can't check right now but i think one of the skills she gets from mortal savant makes all attacks use mag, though that is admittedly a ways off if you're only now unlocking swordmaster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I can't check right now but i think one of the skills she gets from mortal savant makes all attacks use mag, though that is admittedly a ways off if you're only now unlocking swordmaster.

Yeah, every character can get at least one hidden ability from mastering specific classes. For Lysithea, mastering Mortal Savant gets her an ability that makes all of her damage use Mag regardless of weapon type, which is pretty rad.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Harrow posted:

Yeah, every character can get at least one hidden ability from mastering specific classes. For Lysithea, mastering Mortal Savant gets her an ability that makes all of her damage use Mag regardless of weapon type, which is pretty rad.

Ooh, I didn’t know about this. Are they always in their preferred class line?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chinook posted:

Ooh, I didn’t know about this. Are they always in their preferred class line?

They are not. In fact, they usually aren't IIRC, I only scanned the list from a post on Reddit. Shez's, for example, is from Dark Knight. (Not sure if that's something people consider a spoiler, it's not a spoiler that the class exists but maybe someone wants to find these abilities themselves or something.)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, I'm kinda stumped on how to S Rank on GW the Balthus and the Gonerils parallgue. It feels like even when manually killing every commander I can't reach the KO count, but if I stay too long killing mobs I run out of time since the timer is only 10 min for 1800 KOs.

I guess it makes sense since the reward is a Rank A Battalion but I'd like to know if there is a better tactict that's not "come back when you kill commanders in 4 attacks".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sudden Javelin posted:

My selection process is always "whichever two units are energized + whoever has type advantage for the map"

anyway here is an irrelevant screenshot

very happy to have his noble BFF back

Yeah my usual process is the two energized units, shez in whatever class is most useful for the map, and the 4th is an adjutant for shez to get whatever advantage still needs to be taken care of. It does put most of the strength in the shez basket, but it seems to work fine since there are so many options to move her quickly. At least on easy, anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Harrow posted:

This stuff being hidden is extremely annoying because mastering classes takes a very long time so it's not like you're likely to randomly send people down random trees.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I went with Azure Gleam first, and boy. Did Kaga ghostwrite this?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clawtopsy posted:

I went with Azure Gleam first, and boy. Did Kaga ghostwrite this?

:allears: Do tell because I don't think I can bring myself to play a non Eagles route. (again)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Eimi posted:

:allears: Do tell because I don't think I can bring myself to play a non Eagles route. (again)

Edelgard gets abducted by Thales mid-fight with Dimitri. She basically gets a magical lobotomy, and becomes mostly silent and nearly childlike in the ending. She spends half the route as a voiceless puppet to Duke Aegir and Arundel. The last time we see her she is on her knees, slack jawed and blank-eyed, staring into the distance. She cries out things like "Uncle, noooo..." if Thales is hurt in her fight. It's really quite dire.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Eimi posted:

Female-character agency-removing mind control bullshit, with an additional 'topping' of memory/personality-wiping mentally reducing one of the best written female protagonists/antagonists to a child only able to kneel on the ground, staring at the strong male main character who has saved her. "...Dee?" might be one of my single most hated lines in fiction atm.

It’s real, real bad (IMO some of the worst writing in the whole series), and it stands out all the more with how good the other two routes are.

E: More specially detailed answer above.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 27, 2022

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ. Well, I'm probably ignoring that route. That's just disgusting.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Blaziken386 posted:

protip for the thread: if you get the sidequest reward that's [x] number of free blacksmith forges, use those immediately, because they go away next chapter! :v:

also also i really wish that "invert mag/str" rings existed. I want Lysithea to be a swordsmaster now that I've stabbed Catherine to death and looted her corpse for her shiny sword

You can sell weapons for smithing stones at the Supply Master, I’ve done that a couple times as my weapon cache fills up and it gives you a pretty hefty pile of rocks, especially if you have the facility upgrades bumping up the number of stones you get for trading

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clawtopsy posted:

Edelgard gets abducted by Thales mid-fight with Dimitri. She basically gets a magical lobotomy, and becomes mostly silent and nearly childlike in the ending. She spends half the route as a voiceless puppet to Duke Aegir and Arundel. The last time we see her she is on her knees, slack jawed and blank-eyed, staring into the distance. She cries out things like "Uncle, noooo..." if Thales is hurt in her fight. It's really quite dire.

:stare: :dogstare: :psyduck: :psypop: :wtc:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Harrow posted:

You can WHAT

Do they show up on the skill lists when you check the classes or is it just a "fun" surprise?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

mabels big day posted:

You can WHAT

Do they show up on the skill lists when you check the classes or is it just a "fun" surprise?

Yeah it's totally hidden until you master the class. There's a tab for it ("Innate Abilities") on the extremely useful datamine google doc.Most of them seem to correspond to classes that match each character's Budding Talent skill from Three Houses which is neat

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Clawtopsy posted:

uhhh what the gently caress, who wrote that and why did they not get immediately fired for having a raging hard on as they pitched it? Did they think the Blue Lions route in Three Houses wasn't sufficiently objectively the worst option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah it's totally hidden until you master the class. There's a tab for it ("Innate Abilities") on the extremely useful datamine google doc.Most of them seem to correspond to classes that match each character's Budding Talent skill from Three Houses which is neat

Wait... does Gatekeeper get a secret ability from every master class?