Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I take it the PC version isn't a technical mess this time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

The only technical issues I've had so far is that it occasionally stops registering specific controller buttons. Other than that, smooth as butter.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's been fine except now it's repeatedly crashing at a specific point and i might cry about it

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zeron posted:

The only technical issues I've had so far is that it occasionally stops registering specific controller buttons. Other than that, smooth as butter.

I've run into this one too exactly once, which fixed itself when I clicked into the game with the mouse. Otherwise no issues -- but I also had no issues with the first game, so ymmv.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Post Ryuki Chapter 1 Somnium YEAH, SIMULATION THEORY! THAT'S THE ZERO ESCAPE poo poo!

"Are you familiar with the Philadelphia Experiment?" gently caress yes i love this nonsense

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 26, 2022

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wish they'd stop giving me the option to inspect objects whose description is just "It's a ___." And for that matter, I wish they'd stop making objects that are like two pixels wide.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

finished the game, took me a bit over 19 hours. really loving great. hard to say if i like it better than the first one or not, i'll have to noodle on it, but they're both stellar.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryuki Chapter 2 What the gently caress does this keypad want from me, I don't get it

I looked it up and gently caress you.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 26, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Ryuki Chapter 2 What the gently caress does this keypad want from me, I don't get it

I looked it up and gently caress you.

That one took me forever to figure out myself.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

that one hosed me up too, and htere's a later one i had to look up also. most of the puzzles make sense but there are a couple that just stumped me and the game is like "just look at the hints, it's easy"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

can someone remind me when they first showed the (late ryuki route) nirvana trial video? i know it happened, but i can't find it now. is this the mandela effect........

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

I'm not going to lie, I have resorted to the guide for some of the crimescene puzzles. I'm looking at you Naix 9 thing and Yoyogi park monument.

I got to the second puzzle you mentioned and managed to solve it relatively easily by drawing it out and also getting lucky by deciding to inspect something at the scene that jogged my pattern recognition.

lets hang out posted:

can someone remind me when they first showed the (late ryuki route) nirvana trial video? i know it happened, but i can't find it now. is this the mandela effect........

I think that specific one is shown to trigger Ryuki's freakout right before the Koenji murder.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 26, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope someone can explain how the red room puzzle actually works, because it’s so obtuse that the devs put in a «let me solve this for you» function in your AI

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Well, I just blasted through the whole thing. It was pretty good, definitely a worthy successor, though it certainly has some rough edges.

The voice acting and characters are really good in general. Both protagonists are very good and Tama is a treasure - she reminds me of Boss in a good way, and she and Ryuki fit quite well as a duo. Although, while I don't mind it personally, I can certainly see someone not enjoying all the innuendo.

I have to admit the intro really threw me off at first, but it does actually fit the rest of the game's tone pretty well. Although... That first game spoiler question really stumped me. Man, it's been like two and a half years since I played the original, you expect me to remember a tiny detail like that? It's neat that they recognized that you'd think of Moma, though.

The Somnia in this game are a particular step up from the original. They all feel a lot more distinct from each other this time, with some even featuring completely different gameplay styles - which I think really fits with the "personalized dreamscape" concept. Notable highlights are the cook-off tournament, the PokémonKusemon GO adventure, the escape rooms, and the quiz game. I felt like there was a lot less moon logic which I appreciate.

I'm not entirely sure if how I feel about the main twist though, mostly due to its nature which I won't spoil. It felt a bit... forced, I guess. And very difficult to figure out ahead of time(or maybe I'm just dumb). I did catch one hint that was VERY blatant foreshadowing in retrospect, but I just thought it was a mistake at first. Which I guess was the intention, so good job there I guess.

The fight scenes, while better than the first game, are probably the weakest part of the game unfortunately. They tend to drag on a bit and suffer from a bad case of Mooks Standing Around and Attacking One At a Time Syndrome. And the protagonist's power level seems to shift as the plot demands even within a single scene, going from blowing groups of people away like leaves on a fall day to suddenly being pressured by like, 4 guys with stun batons menacing them.

I also really thought there'd be more to the secret epilogue.I was kind of expecting that we'd get some more information about Wadjet, but instead it's more like "the bad guys were sorta right all along, at least in this timeline", a brief reference to the butterfly effect, and a fourth-wall joke about "Player/Frayer".

ymgve posted:

I hope someone can explain how the red room puzzle actually works, because it’s so obtuse that the devs put in a «let me solve this for you» function in your AI

I assume you mean Tearer's Somnium?The equations on the walls combine with the alphabet chart to translate the wall symbols to numbers, then you rotate both the number and symbol to match the locker and get letters (such as a 3 becoming an m). Note that you actually have to fill all the equations in to see the star symbol.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 26, 2022

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

drat, there's a bit that "requires" knowledge of Cowboy Bebop. I mean, it isn't a huge deal, you'd waste at most an extra 10 seconds in the Somnium if you didn't know it, but still, lol.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
HOLY poo poo, THERE'S A BONUS FOR COMPLETING THE GAME. I saw 3rd Class Cabin Somnium and absolutely lost my poo poo.

Honestly, while some of the explanations for puzzles outside of the somniums are obtuse, I absolutely loved the entire experience. This is easily my favourite game of the year. I can't really imagine another game topping this because I'm a hardcore Uchikoshi fanboy and this game definitely goes full Uchikoshi. Gonna have spoilers of the end coming up so be warned.

While the combat animation is mediocre, I absolutely love how stupid and crazy the final confrontation is. Kizuna in a wheelchair firing a Gatling gun on the back of an armoured truck while shouting "motherfuckers" is :allears:. Honestly, that entire scene was :allears: in the most anime, ludicrous way and the way the game flips between horror and comedy is great.

The somiums in this game are inspired and a step up from the previous game. One somnium that stood out to me was Masked Girl/Bubi's. That somnium was legitimately terrifying.

I loving love this game.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Ending spoiler question.

Where do you enter the number given to you in the epilogue?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Ending spoiler question.

Where do you enter the number given to you in the epilogue?

The first time you meet the Naix president as Ryuki

Edit: Actually what was your nil number and killer name I wonder if it partially randomises the passwords so you can't sequence break

Drashin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryuki chapter 3 Limmy voice But it's on Liberty Island....

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

NeverHelm posted:

I assume you mean Tearer's Somnium?The equations on the walls combine with the alphabet chart to translate the wall symbols to numbers, then you rotate both the number and symbol to match the locker and get letters (such as a 3 becoming an m). Note that you actually have to fill all the equations in to see the star symbol.

Oh god damnit. So stupid.

I've finished the game now, and while I liked it, I'm not so hyped as some of you. It really seems like the devs started with the plot twist, then everything in the game had to be in sacrifice for that goal, no matter how implausible and unbelievable.

And I still really don't get a certain character's actions, since they directly spotlighted and jeopardized their own plan.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm still on Ryuki Chapter 1, just did the Somnium, and I'm wondering about Wink Psyncing. Earlier it says I can only Wink Psync once per day, and now I'm in a room with two people it's giving me the prompt for.. Will it only let me do one of them? Are they even plot-relevant?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Arist posted:

I'm still on Ryuki Chapter 1, just did the Somnium, and I'm wondering about Wink Psyncing. Earlier it says I can only Wink Psync once per day, and now I'm in a room with two people it's giving me the prompt for.. Will it only let me do one of them? Are they even plot-relevant?

That's a lie. Wink all you want. Some times it might progress the plot so you don't get a chance to wink everyone, though.

The only times it's mentioned again it's like "Ok, I guess I can use my extra battery to wink twice, but ONLY THIS ONCE"

Then it happens again a few scenes later.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

ymgve posted:

I've finished the game now, and while I liked it, I'm not so hyped as some of you. It really seems like the devs started with the plot twist, then everything in the game had to be in sacrifice for that goal, no matter how implausible and unbelievable.

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean by it feeling "forced". It feels like the game bends over backwards to preserve the twist sometimes. For example: Both Mizukis apparently looked exactly the same when they were 18, down to the outfit and haircut. Like, I get that they're pseudo-twins, but literally identical outfits. At least, if there's a difference it's so small that I never noticed. And then there's the whole "communications failure" thing, which I totally thought was sabotage or something else that would be relevant to the Big Bad's plan but it basically never comes up again and exists pretty much entirely to justify the AI-ball's amnesia.

Arist posted:

Don't worry about it too much. A lot of them are completely optional character moments, and the battery is drained at the speed of plot. If it's important, the game usually hints at it pretty heavily. Think of them as a new talk option, basically.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m incredibly biased because I personally enjoy the over the top and pretentious plot twists that come part and parcel with Uchikoshi, even if they aren’t completely fool-proof.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I think I've come to a conclusion on how I feel about this sequel. While the experience as a whole is enjoyable, and I've made some interesting observations about the narrative in retrospect, it feels a bit uneven.

The moment-to-moment dialogue writing is very good and clearly has that Uchikoshi charm, and the Somnium sections are great. However the overall narrative as a whole feels a lot shakier than the first game. In particular, Tearer is a lot less compelling as a villain than the Cyclops Killer - but I can certainly see that act as being difficult to follow up, as that was one of the best VN villains I've seen. There are also a few elements that feel vestigial at best, like some of the returning characters and the branching paths that exist only to give you an answer to the plot-locks in somewhat arbitrary ways. Certain twists in particular feel really strange in the context of the first game and we don't really do much to explore the questions remaining from that game. There's one part of the narrative in particular that I think demonstrates how different the writing philosophy behind these two games is, but it's a massive endgame spoiler so I'll put it in spoiler tags:

Whereas the first game was a relatively standard and self-contained mystery story which had significant personal stakes for the characters, the mystery in Nirvana Initiative feels disconnected from the world itself and exists for the sake of the player. Heck, the plethora of fourth-wall breaks from the beginning of the game, most notably the scene with Mama where you finally reveal the big twist and Tokiko's conversation in the hidden epilogue, all but scream that the real "protagonist" is you, the "Frayer". The whole thing feels... artificial. Fake. An illusion. Which is very much the point, of course. That's what Naixatloz's philosophy is all about. When you get the secret ending, you can get your happy ending within the world of the game, yet it ends up feeling unsatisfying. Tokiko even warns you about this, both explicitly before you make the choice and more subtly earlier in the game when she discusses the differences between Naixatloz (who want to reach the "real world") and the Order of % (Who just want to enjoy the fake one). In a sense, the game could be interpreted as Naixatloz's attempt to convert you, blurring the lines between fiction and reality and truly allowing Naix to escape into the real world. This leaves me conflicted. In the artistic sense, I appreciate the dedication to the theme. But I also feel like the focus on this meta-narrative became so all-encompassing at times that the actual story being told suffers. I think this might be what ymgve was getting at when they said it felt like everything was sacrificed for the sake of the twist, because it kind of was. I think the narrative bit off a bit more than it could chew.

While I still think it was worth the time and money spent, and I definitely recommend it to fans of the original and Uchikoshi's other work, Nirvana Initiative doesn't feel quite as polished. It improves on a lot of areas, but also falters in others. Unfortunately one of those areas, the core narrative, is kind of a big deal in this genre. I get the feeling that the first game wasn't really meant to have a sequel, but they made one anyway because of how successful it was. I'm very curious how they'd follow this one up, should they choose to do so.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 26, 2022

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Personally while I enjoyed the (Ending and entire game spoilers) Frayer concept I wish they used it more beyond being a passive observer for most of it and then their only action being doing the secret ending since the game doesn't really draw any attention to the times you use info from other timelines to progress.

Somethings I am surprised they didn't go into with more depth is connecting the frayer idea to Date transfering info across timelines in the first game and with how they brought up the mandella effect and almost never said the 6 minute time limit I was expecting to start a somnium with like seven minutes on the clock. I also really enjoyed the flowchart twist espeically since you could see the frays if you know where to look like Ryuki getting scolded after he seemingly lets a suspect escape when he actually was being scolded for aiming at a civilian and how people mention the rocket during ryukis part even though you don't see anything about that until Mizukis part

Honestly I hope this does as well as the first game apparently did since I want to see more of the characters.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Drashin posted:

Personally while I enjoyed the (Ending and entire game spoilers) Frayer concept I wish they used it more beyond being a passive observer for most of it and then their only action being doing the secret ending since the game doesn't really draw any attention to the times you use info from other timelines to progress.

Somethings I am surprised they didn't go into with more depth is connecting the frayer idea to Date transfering info across timelines in the first game and with how they brought up the mandella effect and almost never said the 6 minute time limit I was expecting to start a somnium with like seven minutes on the clock. I also really enjoyed the flowchart twist espeically since you could see the frays if you know where to look like Ryuki getting scolded after he seemingly lets a suspect escape when he actually was being scolded for aiming at a civilian and how people mention the rocket during ryukis part even though you don't see anything about that until Mizukis part

Honestly I hope this does as well as the first game apparently did since I want to see more of the characters.

Yeah, I broadly agree with this. I feel like the game's torn between properly executing the murder mystery story and the parallel timelines/simulation theory stuff, and so it falls a bit short of both. If it had tipped more in either direction, I think the game would be better for it. Given how the intro went, I thought we'd end up delving deeper into how the timeline stuff worked and do some wacky shenanigans, eventually revealing some stuff about the Wadjet system being tied to it. It seems totally plausible that Wadjet is the simulation. But no, all of it is just a "virus"-induced (like a computer virus maybe?) fever dream of Ryuki's, as far as the characters are concerned. Though come to think of it, I guess that is a possible angle for a third game now that they've established these things in-setting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just finished the game. I think, at least. I assume there's nothing left after the alternate timeline bonus ending via the nil number

There was one loose end I didn't get: in the Gen and Amame ending, why did boss send the cops after them like that?

e: also what's up with dahlia boat. what does that mean. Does it have any deeper meaning than trying to pass info between timelines to reach moksha

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 26, 2022

Cruiserweight
Nov 14, 2012

Live Mas
What am I supposed to interact with to find the (Mizuki chapter 2) Horadori Underground when in the lab with Lien? Between the constant QTEs and the random crashing I'm suddenly encountering in this section it's becoming a major momentum killer.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cruiserweight posted:

What am I supposed to interact with to find the (Mizuki chapter 2) Horadori Underground when in the lab with Lien? Between the constant QTEs and the random crashing I'm suddenly encountering in this section it's becoming a major momentum killer.

there's a diary on the desk in the far right

Cruiserweight
Nov 14, 2012

Live Mas

cheetah7071 posted:

there's a diary on the desk in the far right

I guess Mizuki's vague "there's something here" forced my brain to overlook the big black square. thanks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryuki 4 R2 Holy poo poo Date's origin story is that he found woods porn

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mizuki chap 4 My favourite little reference is that in Lien's somnium the pattern of the mental lock chains are the exact same as the psy-locks in Ace Attorney.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just finished the game. Wild poo poo. I started seeing the seams of the timeline fuckery when they were talking about Koenji picking up half of the dead body a few days ago and I was like "but he's been dead for 6 years..."

Overall, I liked it a lot in a majority of aspects, maybe even all of them. Whether I like it more than 1 remains to be seen to time, but hey, at least there's no Ota equivalent.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Just finished the game. I think, at least. I assume there's nothing left after the alternate timeline bonus ending via the nil number

There was one loose end I didn't get: in the Gen and Amame ending, why did boss send the cops after them like that?

e: also what's up with dahlia boat. what does that mean. Does it have any deeper meaning than trying to pass info between timelines to reach moksha

Also agreed, who the gently caress is Dahlia Boat

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I think I'm coming up on the ending soon; I just got to the big twist and I'm still stewing over whether or not it's going to be consistent on a review of the plot. But it does explain a lot of times when I went "wait, why is nobody mentioning this obvious weird thing?"

Anyway, how is this game tracking the time played? There is no way I've clocked 69 hours on this game; I'm not even sure if that much time has elapsed since I started playing it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think this is loosely the VLR/ZTD to the previous game's 999 which explains why I like the first game more

not so much structurally but more that i thought the main twist relied too much on blatant/contrived deception by the writer and not the story itself-I loved AI1'S thing of "the body swap was the intended use of the psync machine" and how it tied into the storyline

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 27, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fun fact that was pointed out to me (big endgame spoilers) When the Mizuki timeline is Mizuki Date, in the investigation bits you can see a scar on her leg from when she got shot in game 1. Bibi does not have this scar when it's her segments.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Finished. (ending) I am very disappointed that not only were Kizuna's legs not healed by the power of song, but Hitomi's arm was retroactively unhealed from when the power of song healed her in the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Argue posted:

Finished. (ending) I am very disappointed that not only were Kizuna's legs not healed by the power of song, but Hitomi's arm was retroactively unhealed from when the power of song healed her in the first game

Just like Date, it's a rubber arm she wears for fun.

Speaking of ending stuff, do Mizuki and Bibi share their VA? It's hard to tell for me.