Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Personally I don't think this works. Immediately I'm confused that this is even happening since for me personally, most of this year's sgdq was that it was back in person. This is just not that interesting to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wait online block what the gently caress?

We're still getting a few remote runs.

I think one of the best things about the recent GDQ's was the inclusion of all kinds of runners from all around the world and I'd think that in this world situation the majority are US now. Hoping they'll have a few remote runs at future events too.

JethroMcB posted:

"Up next it's Ty the Tasmanian Tiger with KamaCrimson, who probably isn't going to threaten any murder/suicides; Kama, take it away!"

Instead they didn't give them any lead-in which seemed like threw them off a bit, lol

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Personally I don't think this works. Immediately I'm confused that this is even happening since for me personally, most of this year's sgdq was that it was back in person. This is just not that interesting to me

I don't get it.

A person is playing a game, they are going quickly, the only difference is you can't see an audience in the baackground. How is that such a major difference? what makes you confused?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you can just tune in later...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I don't get it.

A person is playing a game, they are going quickly, the only difference is you can't see an audience in the baackground. How is that such a major difference? what makes you confused?

Related, one of the online runs in some past event had a GIF image of an audience reaction as background and that was funny, and I think another one had a still image of one person

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I don't get it.

playing live in front of a crowd is a lot more entertaining than playing from home. Stakes are higher. And its more interesting.

The 7th Guest posted:

you can just tune in later...

yeah I am, this sucks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

put an adience cam where the sponsor window is and mic the audience

boom problem solved

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

put an adience cam where the sponsor window is and mic the audience

boom problem solved

MMm no not really. This is basically watching a random speedrun on any other day. To have the back to live audience GDQ still have remote runs is just boring

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

playing live in front of a crowd is a lot more entertaining than playing from home. Stakes are higher. And its more interesting.

yeah I am, this sucks

??? YMMV of course but the past online GDQ's had plenty of nail-biting races and runs. It's not like the audience reactions have been super loud here either.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TeaJay posted:

??? YMMV of course but the past online GDQ's had plenty of nail-biting races and runs. It's not like the audience reactions have been super loud here either.

this is like when esports was doing their online only events and when they finally came back in person with a crowd it was a lot different. I already saw a few games (kirby switch, the pathless) go over estimate and I think thats kinda cool since everyone's back in the same room and the live nerves are back in effect. This is just covid stream and its like I guess man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean i'd prefer all the online runs should be stuff that you just can't do at the event like the crazy arcade machine runs but jesus what a stupid loving opinion

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we get it

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I really like that it's mixing in person and remote.

There are a lot of people who can't or don't want to risk travel right now, this lets them still be a part of GDQ.

Also, as someone who's now well over a month of awful covid symptoms... it doesn't matter how safe they pretend the main show is for covid, people are going out to bars, unmasked after and spreading. Look at that GrandPooBear stream from the night before, it was a packed, unmasked bar.

Even with all the shots, covid can be super rough. Having remote as an option lets people who didn't feel safe go, still participate, which is awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Chainclaw posted:

I really like that it's mixing in person and remote.

There are a lot of people who can't or don't want to risk travel right now, this lets them still be a part of GDQ.

Also, as someone who's now well over a month of awful covid symptoms... it doesn't matter how safe they pretend the main show is for covid, people are going out to bars, unmasked after and spreading. Look at that GrandPooBear stream from the night before, it was a packed, unmasked bar.

Even with all the shots, covid can be super rough. Having remote as an option lets people who didn't feel safe go, still participate, which is awesome.

:yeah:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

this is like when esports was doing their online only events and when they finally came back in person with a crowd it was a lot different. I already saw a few games (kirby switch, the pathless) go over estimate and I think thats kinda cool since everyone's back in the same room and the live nerves are back in effect. This is just covid stream and its like I guess man.

okay boomer

E: also aside from covid I like that online allows people who can't afford to travel or take the time off from work to contribute. There are god knows how many runners out there who are good enough and rad enough to be on GDQ but because of capitalism can't just fly across the country to do a live event. They should get to help the events out too, so mixing in online runs is rad AF.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The game has no glitches, just happy accidents

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chainclaw posted:

well that sucks

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dyn dyn dyndyn dyn dyn dyndyn hope I won't get DMCA'd

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm cool with an online block but I'd rather they use it for large Bemani-type games or pinball tables that aren't worth shipping for a sub-hour event. Bring back that dude from last year who played the washing machine game, that kicked rear end.

But if they are going to do online I'd like it if they reached out to skybillz out to host. She lives in the Netherlands now and I know she hates flying.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

also anyone who flew into GDQ had to go through unmasked airports and airplanes. The flying situation also dis-incentivizes you from testing for covid, I got stuck in Florida for 10 days because they don't let you fly if you tell them you tested positive (which is a good thing), but I think in practice that just means, if you were flying to GDQ, most people won't test morning of the flight because they don't want to scramble to change travel plans last minute.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think an online block is cool and good for the current situation we are in.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, remote just doesn't hit the same especially since there is an in person portion of the event. I kind of wish they listed what was remote vs live on the schedule now?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Speedrunning the explanations too

e: Also if we weren't online a person from New Zealand likely couldn't make it on the couch

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 27, 2022

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I haven't checked the schedule but allowing remote runs does open the window for the PAON guy to return

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Tayter Swift posted:

But if they are going to do online I'd like it if they reached out to skybillz out to host. She lives in the Netherlands now and I know she hates flying.

I don't know sky personally but I'm pretty sure she doesn't live in the Netherlands and she simply opted not to come this year for very valid reasons.

Also this is such an interesting thing to watch from a tech standpoint. I'm on donations right now but Melo is hosting from a hallway in the back lol

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Also this is such an interesting thing to watch from a tech standpoint. I'm on donations right now but Melo is hosting from a hallway in the back lol

Well, if the runner & couch are remote, he's willing to experience it too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

I haven't checked the schedule but allowing remote runs does open the window for the PAON guy to return

allowing remote runs opens the window for a lot of people to participate and should frankly be the norm going forward

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
An exploit to skip to the end of the game got patched in? Man, ports are hard.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This run's been one of the best ones I've seen this event, some fun and chill energy and good commentary.

e: one second off 2nd place, nice

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

This run's been one of the best ones I've seen this event, some fun and chill energy and good commentary.

e: one second off 2nd place, nice

the timer was started 10s late, another reason I dislike remote is the technical issues due to delay.

I wonder if they're just using RTMP for program feeds, SRT would help out a bunch.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I don't know sky personally but I'm pretty sure she doesn't live in the Netherlands and she simply opted not to come this year for very valid reasons.

I thought she was 0xabad1dea on Twitter... guess I'm confused, sorry.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Looper posted:

allowing remote runs opens the window for a lot of people to participate and should frankly be the norm going forward

It's this. Even if the runner isn't playing on a washing machine allowing people to participate is good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Photex posted:

the timer was started 10s late, another reason I dislike remote is the technical issues due to delay.

didn't someone hit the timer wrong on a game on stage last night

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The 2016 runner Kythol also gets a shoutout, seems like he's been doing a lot of stuff for the game since his run, so kudos for him.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

site posted:

yeah, tech issues aren't unique to remote runs lol

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

site posted:

yeah but this instance was very specific to the runner being remote and the time keeper being on a RTMP delay which can be anywhere from 6-10 seconds.

I work in live production and the hardest part about covid wasn't the start when everyone was remote (like previous GDQ's) but once you start mixing in a live portion and remote and trying to balance out the delay between the two.

I'm assuming this is why we don't have crowd reactions because it'd be about 10 seconds off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
really feels like you're just looking for poo poo to complain about

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Photex posted:

yeah but this instance was very specific to the runner being remote and the time keeper being on a RTMP delay which can be anywhere from 6-10 seconds.

I work in live production and the hardest part about covid wasn't the start when everyone was remote (like previous GDQ's) but once you start mixing in a live portion and remote and trying to balance out the delay between the two.

I'm assuming this is why we don't have crowd reactions because it'd be about 10 seconds off.

seems like this is the sort of thing you'd just learn over time and is a complete non-issue

"oh no the first time they did a thing it was a bit more difficult"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

HOIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Agent355 posted:

seems like this is the sort of thing you'd just learn over time and is a complete non-issue

"oh no the first time they did a thing it was a bit more difficult"

You just have to find alternatives, it's difficult because there is no silver bullet. You can use VMix but the return feed is such low resolution it's hard to be a commentator/host, Discord is fine but unreliable.

It's still an issue this day even for the larger broadcasts. They're doing a fantastic job was just more explaining that it really wasn't the timekeepers fault that the timer was 10 seconds late.

Edit: that's what i mean by technical issues being a bummer, chat and people immediately started saying "omg not paying attention, start the timer etc etc etc" because they don't understand.