Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The timer thing on that run seemed like it had more to do with the runner giving an unclear "go" signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Incoherence posted:

The timer thing on that run seemed like it had more to do with the runner giving an unclear "go" signal.

even at the end when he asked for the time the host said "Hold on i'm on a delay" and it was about 10 seconds till he was able to give him the time.

Either way they're doing a good job with a complicated workflow

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Photex posted:

Either way they're doing a good job with a complicated workflow

Yes, I remember when this thread said "They should include a block for remote runs at future in-person events" back in January, followed by many people who actually understand/have experience with the tech side of things explaining how that would be a headache due to the issues swapping between the on-site setup and a series of remotes. So I'm grateful they're even attempting it, even if the execution is a little rocky.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Photex posted:

even at the end when he asked for the time the host said "Hold on i'm on a delay" and it was about 10 seconds till he was able to give him the time.

That happens with the in-person runs, too.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Zurai posted:

That happens with the in-person runs, too.

are the tech crew not in the room? I did see someone mention that the people reading donations are in a different room

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Let's get that Dracula

With a crazy hard category

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

love me a good ol Castlevania race

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

strictly leather whips, meats and rosaries. kinky stuff

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen quite a few Castlevania series races and the skill never fails to impress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is the commentator so loud compared to the game

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is the commentator remote as well? You can hear occasional crowd noise in the background but it doesn't seem to be the same feed as the commentator, if that makes sense.

Love the "SNES launch title" aesthetic of this game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I would assume Eagle-eye is remote, yeah

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

:dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCxcZt9W8eI

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man this category is so brutal. Can't even imagine playing this myself.

e: That was super impressive

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 27, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

TeaJay posted:

This is true for every single thing on GDQ for me.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

TeaJay posted:

e: That was super impressive

Yeah, there was such a back and forth between crunan and drunkendraconian that it felt like a toss up the entire run.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Are you ready for Harmony of Dissonance, the most saturated Castlevania game in existence

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The remote runs make for a low-pressure environment so n which to learn how to operate a DSLR, therefore they are Good. :colbert:

That was a really fun run, too!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Are you ready for Harmony of Dissonance, the most saturated Castlevania game in existence

They really took the complaints of not being able to see poo poo in Circle of the Moon to heart (because the original GBA had no backlight).

I'm guessing there were also complaints of the protagonist in that feeling a bit stiff, because Belmont Jr. moves around like a hot knife in an ice level.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
More like Harmony of Disconnects

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I forgot how much I liked this event. Just a bunch of good energy. Also, I like to see a bunch of games I've never seen before.

Shame about the lag, I've never seen that Castlevania game and it was going pretty well!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I like how he just continues where he left off with the same energy

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Shout out to Brutal Melo on the mic. He's got a tough spot here but he's killing it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
It's a little funny seeing the "it's great seeing a crowd again" posts because actually on site it feels like a ghost town and something wrong is happening.

Usually when someone describes one of the rooms as "empty" there's actually one person in the corner playing something but there are multiple rooms I just straight up haven't seen get used yet.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Metroidvania Castlevania speedruns are always a treat to watch.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
The practice rooms all have been super quiet thus far. Good for distancing at least.

Also, the Vice City bid war should really go Definitive Edition. I promise it'll be worth it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this link's awakening race is gonna be a highlight i guarantee it

pmcTRILOGY posted:

Also, the Vice City bid war should really go Definitive Edition. I promise it'll be worth it.

yeah i hope they interview kz_frew so he can try and push donations towards that version

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My minor beef with the layout is how the category, estimate, release year and platform are never on the same screen at the same time. Surely you could fit them so you'd always get the info on one glance.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Vynn over here sounding like she's hosting The Thistle and Shamrock But For Video Game Nerds, I'm lovin' it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mortis

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The PS1/PS2 era "mascot" platformers are totally not my thing but a lot of them have some impressive speedtech.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

I really like that it's mixing in person and remote.

There are a lot of people who can't or don't want to risk travel right now, this lets them still be a part of GDQ.

Also, as someone who's now well over a month of awful covid symptoms... it doesn't matter how safe they pretend the main show is for covid, people are going out to bars, unmasked after and spreading. Look at that GrandPooBear stream from the night before, it was a packed, unmasked bar.

Even with all the shots, covid can be super rough. Having remote as an option lets people who didn't feel safe go, still participate, which is awesome.

Heck, I’ve got friends who got Covid even with 3 shots. I don’t blame anyone who isn’t comfortable with a lot of public exposure right now and I’m glad that GDQ can still accommodate them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's also probably why the event is lighter audience-wise too, like SexRex wrote. I'd imagine a lot of people simply don't want to exposure to Covid at this point. It'll still take a while until things normalize (and IMO that's why it's good to keep the remote runs in)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

THE

MURRAY

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

TeaJay posted:

It's also probably why the event is lighter audience-wise too, like SexRex wrote. I'd imagine a lot of people simply don't want to exposure to Covid at this point. It'll still take a while until things normalize (and IMO that's why it's good to keep the remote runs in)

Not only that but there was a strict attendance cap to mitigate risk

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

TeaJay posted:

From what I'd heard they actually capped attendance at some number that was like half or less of what the last live event was. Which makes a fair bit of sense if you're trying to minimize exposure chances.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, okay, that makes sense though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nemo2342 posted:

Heck, I’ve got friends who got Covid even with 3 shots. I don’t blame anyone who isn’t comfortable with a lot of public exposure right now and I’m glad that GDQ can still accommodate them.

As I learned when a friend's roommate died because another roommate lied about being vaxxed and then hid their Covid, the vaccine helps a lot against incidental contact but if you're in the petri dish like that there's a whole bunch of incidental contacts constantly going on and it only takes one getting through. Good on GDQ for enforcing safe practices. We're all trying to figure out what the future looks like and it's tempting to just abandon anything that didn't used to be "normal"/

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Rushing so quickly into going back in person definitely felt like tempting fate. And maybe I'm biased but I liked the wider variety of people who could participate in the online marathons and it wasn't just for people who can casually afford cross-country flights and week long hotel stays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there something wrong with my audio or have a lot of the games just been super quiet compared to the commentators?