Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wheeee posted:

Butcher burned his costume yea

Sure looked like it singed his flesh on rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
A depowered Homelander would still be Homelander in the eyes of regular idiots, all he'd have to do is say "citizens I am Homelander and I'd love to see you kill this British wanker who is chasing me"

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

A depowered Homelander would still be Homelander in the eyes of regular idiots, all he'd have to do is say "citizens I am Homelander and I'd love to see you kill this British wanker who is chasing me"

And then Butcher lasers them all and we realize he was the true villain, all along.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mameluke posted:

I really don't think powerless Homelander could sustain a season. How the hell could John survive on his own? He's never worked a day in his life. He doesn't know how to cook or clean. He has no tradecraft, let alone people skills. Hell, it's not even really clear if he has any money or if he just lives off Vought's largesse. Without his power, the only thing he has for sure is celebrity - and how do you use that on the run?

Put me on the other side of this perspective, because answering the questions you pose abovr would IMO make for a fascinating half season, at the very least. What the gently caress does Homelander do? How does he survive? Where does he go? You could go the Vought puppet route someone described, or a number of other ways that involve him having to deal with the harsh realities of life as a human, but hot drat it would make for great and tense TV.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Wheeee posted:

next episode opens on a training montage of homelander pushing it to the limit lifting increasingly ludicrous poo poo while doing laps around the earth

He did almost seem to be enjoying the fight at some points even though he was getting (mildly) hurt. He had that happy "you almost had me!" line to Soldier Boy, and his face when he was eye-laser-battling Butcher was basically excitement.

We all kind of assumed he'd run off crying the first time he felt pain, but he took the hits well and kept coming. I reckon there's an element of 'finally I get to cut loose and use my full powers' in there. At least up until he was pinned down.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

jabby posted:

We all kind of assumed he'd run off crying the first time he felt pain, but he took the hits well and kept coming.

I was fully expecting a Captain Hammer, "I think this is what pain feels like!"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tom Tucker posted:

British Homelander would be named Union Jack

That would work.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I was fully expecting a Captain Hammer, "I think this is what pain feels like!"

If he does get hit by the Soldier Boy beam I want a full on Dio Brando freakout going 'Impossible! My arm's bleeding and won't move properly! How could I, Homelander, have a broken bone?!'

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/getfandomgaming/status/1541429963831877633?s=21

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The first time a de-powered Homelander stubs his toe or wacks his knee on a coffee table, he will find god. And this time it isn't him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wheeee posted:

no fascist ubermensch would be portrayed like Homelander is

right but why do they still like him then?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

upon experiencing pain for the first time Homelander learns that he's a masochist and becomes a lil pain piggy

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“Hughie,that there is a roight cahnt”

“Hrrrngh a right oval office huh?”

*10 minute dialogue about who the biggest oval office is*

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Tom Tucker posted:

Captain Jack to tie it in with all the Billy Joel.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tom Tucker posted:

Call them Queen's Lander but then people get confused if they're from England or Australia

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pik_d posted:

Call them Queen's Lander but then people get confused if they're from England or Australia

We already have Butcher and his magical accent.

(New Zealand and not Australia but even so)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Mr Interweb posted:

they are stupid and just see a white dude wearing an american flag

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mr Interweb posted:

we're talking about people who think trump is a genius adonis

of course they're gonna love someone who's like trump but actually handsome and strong with superpowers

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: nvm

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
There's just one problem with depowering Homelander...

..as soon as it happens, Butcher or anyone else who knows what he's really like smashes his head to paste with a baseball bat because you absolutely cannot risk his powers returning/him finding a way to restore them somehow.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

If he was depowered during a Soldier Boy "episode" and got blown clear so to speak, he could scramble away in the chaos, or get discovered beneath the rubble by a sympathetic person or group.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

they are stupid and just see a white dude wearing an american flag

TIP posted:

we're talking about people who think trump is a genius adonis

of course they're gonna love someone who's like trump but actually handsome and strong with superpowers

right, but that's the point that the tiktok guy was making, which Wheeeee was arguing against

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
It could be marginally interesting playing in a 'Most famous person in the world tries to blend in' trope.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Depowered Homelander is found by MM’s ex’s new husband, who does everything to keep him hidden and recovering.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Just remembered, they had previously referenced a "stormchasers" group of Stormfront fans who were latching onto Homelander, I could see a group of nuts like that pulling a de-powered Homelander in then getting more and more radicalized to get ahold of (temp) V for themselves. Granted I'm pretty sure that group and bit of dialogue was more about referencing Trump claiming to have no knowledge of or problem with his own neo-nazi cheerleaders, but I could see that working. Not sure if I like this idea overall though.

bobjr posted:

Depowered Homelander is found by MM’s ex’s new husband, who does everything to keep him hidden and recovering.

Looks like my one fear/theory won't happen, simply because the stakes are getting so high (comic spoilers just in case) I swear if that dweeb enters a raffle to win the family a car and dinner with Homelander...

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sentinel Red posted:

..as soon as it happens, Butcher or anyone else who knows what he's really like smashes his head to paste with a baseball bat because you absolutely cannot risk his powers returning/him finding a way to restore them somehow.

I've said it before but I would like to see homelander disappear with his powers (maybe he gets his rear end kicked pretty bad but manages to fly away right before they're gonna depower him)

the season could end with an entire city destroyed and everyone wondering where homelander went and then we see a quick scene of him dying his hair black and putting on glasses and trying to pass for a normal human

then next season the first episode is him getting increasingly angry at the indignities he has to face as a normal human until he finally snaps and kills a bunch of people

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

bobjr posted:

Maybe in some sort of "Misery" setup.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

i mean...yeah? but that's also why i figure he'd be on the run or someone/something would stop butcher from doing said headsmashing right away lol

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Homelander loses his powers, manages to get ahold of some V to shoot up, gets a completely new set of powers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

Homelander loses his powers, manages to get ahold of some V to shoot up, gets a completely new set of powers.

I hope Homelander decides he needs to get stronger, tries to take some temp V but instead of powering him up it depowers him for 24 hours and he has to pretend like everything is normal while being terrified out of his mind.

e: or he gets the ability to hear fish like The Deep and he loving hates it

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
An invisible homelander would just be Hollow man X100,terrifying.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Homelander gets a new power that lets him copy the abilities of any supe nearby. He's even more powerful than before but only so long as he's surrounded by powerful people. On his own he's just a normal person.

Thankfully the Deep is always with him so he's got that power I guess.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope Homelander decides he needs to get stronger, tries to take some temp V but instead of powering him up it depowers him for 24 hours and he has to pretend like everything is normal while being terrified out of his mind.

e: or he gets the ability to hear fish like The Deep and he loving hates it

I like the idea of homelander depowered for an entire episode but only he knows, lots of fun could be had with that

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just rewatched the fight scene and one thing that struck me is when she's appealing to M.M. not to get involved in the dust up, Starlight doesn't take the obvious nerd-logic tack of "what good would your pistol do anyway" she appeals to his better nature and his desire to help others.

Which is both a good character moment and also the better "dialogue option;" one can imagine the answer to "what do you expect to do with a pistol" to be "this!" followed by a futile, suicidal mag dump at SB.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If Homelander gets depowered, Ashley has got to get suped up.

It’s only fair.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
A montage of depowered Homelander would be hilarious.

-Gets a splinter under his fingernail
-Paper cut when licking an envelope
-Throws his back out trying to move a refrigerator
-Repeatedly bashes his shin on a low coffee table

Just nonstop rake stepping moments. Tries to fight, gets an eyefull of pocket sand, that whole thing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just rewatched the fight scene and one thing that struck me is when she's appealing to M.M. not to get involved in the dust up, Starlight doesn't take the obvious nerd-logic tack of "what good would your pistol do anyway" she appeals to his better nature and his desire to help others.

Which is both a good character moment and also the better "dialogue option;" one can imagine the answer to "what do you expect to do with a pistol" to be "this!" followed by a futile, suicidal mag dump at SB.

Also contrast with Butcher who used his superpowers to just hold him back.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Someone also should have given him the nerd logic case though

Seriously man what the hell did you expect to do to the second stronger supe ever to exist with pistol rounds?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 27, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ynohtna posted:

If Homelander gets depowered, Ashley has got to get suped up.

It’s only fair.

Her power is prehensile hair. Just rips clumps of it out and throws it at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

No Dignity posted:

Someone also should have given him the nerd logic case though

Seriously man what the hell did you expect to the second stronger supe ever to exist with pistol rounds?

TBF Butcher kind of makes that argument with the baseball bat swing that does nothing and it only wound him up.