Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Like I said. Did Kaga ghostwrite this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok I think I just want someone to spoil this mechanic for me--should I be saving my renown for anything, or am I good to just spend it all on stat boosting items?

I'm still on my first playthrough (ch. 8, black eagles) and the only thing I seem to be able to spend it on is stat boosters; I do see two "???" options but no idea what they are, when they'll unlock, or how much renown I'd need to buy anything in them, or if I'd want to.

Going off of how three houses worked, I'm guessing that at least one of them will be related to NG+, but I can't tell if I should be hoarding my renown in anticipation for that, or if it's better to just go hog wild now. I'm paranoid that I'll spend it all on rocky burdock or whatever, and then suddenly I'll get to the next chapter and be too broke to buy a bunch of cool stuff.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
There's literally no reason to spend on stat boosts

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

who is kaga

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

There's literally no reason to spend on stat boosts

What else do you get to spend it on

currently it's my only choice, so it's hard to decide whether it's worth it or not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I bother spending gold on leveling up underleveled characters or should I just slap a decent weapon on them and deploy away?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

Edelgard gets abducted by Thales mid-fight with Dimitri. She basically gets a magical lobotomy, and becomes mostly silent and nearly childlike in the ending. She spends half the route as a voiceless puppet to Duke Aegir and Arundel. The last time we see her she is on her knees, slack jawed and blank-eyed, staring into the distance. She cries out things like "Uncle, noooo..." if Thales is hurt in her fight. It's really quite dire.

Maaaan… I like Blue Lions and Azure Gleam was hitting points that I wanted Azure Moon to go like actually addressing the Tragedy and fighting the Slithers directly as the Blue Lions. At least let Edelgard go back to normal after Thales is killed, then she and Dimitri go to kill Duke Aegier together :smith:.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Harrow posted:

Should I bother spending gold on leveling up underleveled characters or should I just slap a decent weapon on them and deploy away?

you should still try to level them up a bit. while weapon stats make a much bigger difference in terms of offense, leveling up is the main way of improving your characters' survivability

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I wouldn't spend gold on it. If you have 90% of the killing power and only 50% of the survivability as long as you control them, that's good enough as killing reduces the damage you take anyway. There are so many better things to spend gold on that I am perpetually broke so I can't imagine how much grinding someone who has enough to just dump it on levels has done. Which should've gotten you the levels anyway.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So, I'm at the end of Chapter 10 of Scarlet Blaze, and am divided on whether or not to recruit Byleth and Jeralt or kill Jeralt because I've looked at both parts of the split, and the latter seems to be the intended solution -- with two very in-depth cutscenes and a lot of pathos, but someone in this thread mentioned an 'early ending'. Am I screwing myself over if I choose one over the other, here?

I'm perfectly happy to kill Byleth, I'm more interested in getting the most out of this route.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
doing the first gets you an extra chapter so

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sinner Sandwich posted:

So, I'm at the end of Chapter 10 of Scarlet Blaze, and am divided on whether or not to recruit Byleth and Jeralt or kill Jeralt because I've looked at both parts of the split, and the latter seems to be the intended solution -- with two very in-depth cutscenes and a lot of pathos, but someone in this thread mentioned an 'early ending'. Am I screwing myself over if I choose one over the other, here?

I'm perfectly happy to kill Byleth, I'm more interested in getting the most out of this route.

Doing the second cuts out the ending and leaves things more ambiguous.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sinner Sandwich posted:

You really don't get much out of the kill, Shez is just "I just feel kinda empty and bad, maybe there was a better way?" and then you don't get as much stuff.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It seems like a lot of the choices you're given are just "do you want more content y/n?" And there's really no reason to pick the option that doesn't give you more characters.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Wow, that's kind of lame. Thanks for letting me know, guess I'm recruiting my worst enemy

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Whenever Shez talks about mercenary work or talks to other mercenaries, there's usually a "It's nothing personal, that's the merc code"-variant option. I think the game is really nudging you towards taking that mindset.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like Shez is totally over it by that point. Its Arval who keeps aggressively pushing to kill Sothis for their own reasons

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
To be fair, Shez' insistence early on in the prologue that they'd dedicate their life to killing Byleth doesn't make a ton of sense with that mindset. Shez kinda cartwheels around "Killing Byleth becomes my singular goal and everything I do is in pursuit of that goal" and "Mercenary work is purely professional, I got over the killing of my colleagues pretty quickly" and I'm not sure why they even bothered with the former if the story is going to drag Shez around for 2 years in the timeskip. they could have just left it at Shez going "well I'm out of work, better hang around the knights of Seiros / whatever lord pays me" as their motivation after like... chapter 1. (Spoilered just because my comment implies what others are posting in spoiler tags above. Cue Ferdinand's "why are we whispering?" scene.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Also like Shez is totally over it by that point. Its Arval who keeps aggressively pushing to kill Sothis for their own reasons

Yeah, which isn't that surprising to me. I was totally expecting Arval to either betray us or get their memory back and then betray us. Because they had that as their agenda for the start.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You've got an eye for quality friend you've got an eye for quality friend you've got an eye for quality friend you've got an eye for quality friend

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I kind of get the impression that Shez was all-in on vengeance at first because they didn't have a lot going on in their life, and losing people they were moderately fond of made them angry and vengeful, but once they formed some stronger bonds vengeance pretty quickly fell by the wayside in favor of maintaining those new relationships.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of get the impression that Shez was all-in on vengeance at first because they didn't have a lot going on in their life, and losing people they were moderately fond of made them angry and vengeful, but once they formed some stronger bonds vengeance pretty quickly fell by the wayside in favor of maintaining those new relationships.

Yeah that's just outright stated in Edelgard's B support. Shez worries that Edelgard doesn't actually trust them, because they've found they really like their place in Adrestia, they want to fight for Edelgard's ideals and for their friends. That basically they were drifting through life until Edelgard gave them the chance to actually stand for something and they are worried about it going away.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Clawtopsy posted:

Edelgard gets abducted by Thales mid-fight with Dimitri. She basically gets a magical lobotomy, and becomes mostly silent and nearly childlike in the ending. She spends half the route as a voiceless puppet to Duke Aegir and Arundel. The last time we see her she is on her knees, slack jawed and blank-eyed, staring into the distance. She cries out things like "Uncle, noooo..." if Thales is hurt in her fight. It's really quite dire.

i'm sure dmitri fans love this

given how much the two sides of the fandom hate each other and love to write 5 paragraph long essays explaining why their side is correct

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm early in Azure Gleam, chapter 5 I think. I decided to do my least favorite house first to get all of my early mistakes out of the way. Can someone link me to a post or article of like "Things I Wish I Knew When I Started" like what should I be saving/spending my gold on, is there a point to mastering classes I don't intend characters to use, best ways to gain supports between units? Any first timer tips would be appreciated. Been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers but I wanna make sure I'm not loving things up as I go forward.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Spend gold on the tactics instructor when you unlock it. If you hit Y twice when hovering over a new class it will show the passives it unlocks. In particular Brigand and Wyver Rider are very good generalist options to have mastered, as Brigand leads to wyvern rider and either gives Death Blow (which is a top tier passive) or if it doesn't Wyvern Rider will give Offensive Tactics (20% damage when you have a battalion on). As well on training, NEVER train a class you want them to use on the map. Spend your training points on classes you won't play them as, (whether because you dislike the class or don't want them to get levels up with that classes growths). As well don't neglect the food buff, eat at the start of the chapter and it lasts the whole time, warrior gauge quicker accumulation is nice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Though it is incredibly funny to me that after all the ~discourse~

Claude is the one who hates Rhea personally while Edelgard actually works with her.

Also Claude is sketchy AF and it kinda rules since he actually gets to do things now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Though it is incredibly funny to me that after all the ~discourse~

Claude is the one who hates Rhea personally while Edelgard actually works with her.

Also Claude is sketchy AF and it kinda rules since he actually gets to do things now.

I mean the first one, while a bit shocking Edelgard never personally hated Rhea. That's in Three Houses where one of her questions is basically 'What should I do about Rhea?' and the correct answer is just remove her from power.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Clawtopsy posted:

lmao goddamnit, I'm a couple chapters out from finishing AG and I kinda don't want to now. Guess I'll power through it for the NG+ stuff while I move on to Golden Wildfire. I was holding out hope that after getting zombified by Thales the route wouldn't devolve into Dimitri saving the helpless Edelgard but it sounds like that not only happens, but also Edelgard is implied to be permanently crippled mentally as a result? What the gently caress???? What an absolutely garbage writing decision.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I keep hearing Hilda's 'I promise not to slack off' line as 'I promise not to gently caress off'

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

I mean the first one, while a bit shocking Edelgard never personally hated Rhea. That's in Three Houses where one of her questions is basically 'What should I do about Rhea?' and the correct answer is just remove her from power.

Oh I agree, that just hasn't been the predominant view in all the bitching and arguing about 3 Houses.

It also makes VW being a knock off church route in 3 Houses a bit worse because Claude definitely comes out swinging against Rhea personally here in a much more interesting way.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Oh I agree, that just hasn't been the predominant view in all the bitching and arguing about 3 Houses.

It also makes VW being a knock off church route in 3 Houses a bit worse because Claude definitely comes out swinging against Rhea personally here in a much more interesting way.

To be fair VW was always terrible because it had nothing to do with Claude as a character. This game is a treat and the Claude we deserve.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

General Morden posted:

i'm sure dmitri fans love this

given how much the two sides of the fandom hate each other and love to write 5 paragraph long essays explaining why their side is correct

I like Dimitri and I think that sucks :(

Edit: but that detail is stuck at the very end of Azure Gleam that I can just headcanon the effects of the mind control wear off after a day and Edelgard is back to normal

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 27, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does Golden Wildfire give us a Claude who actually does schemes? That's exciting

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

Does Golden Wildfire give us a Claude who actually does schemes? That's exciting

Does he ever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Golden Wildfire has Claude as the character we were promised before 3 Houses released and it rules super hard.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hell yeah looking forward to some Golden Deer shenannigans later tonight.

In other news I recruited Byleth and it loving sucks that they only have voiced supports with Shez and Jeralt. Although them otherwise having an A support with everybody is a nice touch. Also kinda low key loving Shez and Jeralt's supports.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Claude does more dubious scheming in a single 3 Hopes chapter than during the entirety of 3 houses.

Also managed to S-Rank the paralogue on the third try. Turns out the trick was to use more AOE :v: and also be faster to rack up the kills, I was real close to 10 min when I killed the boss with 1800 KOs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Claude never doing any schemes in three houses was just a long game to build confidence

I think I’ll do him last in this game, then; I’m doing eagles first, and from the tone of this spoilered conversation it sounds like blue lions would be a disappointing way to finish the game

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also managed to S-Rank the paralogue on the third try. Turns out the trick was to use more AOE :v: and also be faster to rack up the kills, I was real close to 10 min when I killed the boss with 1800 KOs.

Get a bow knight. Ashe of all people has become the most indispensable member of the Blue Lions for me because he is a one man wrecking ball who can hit every single target within 100ft him in 360 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Does he ever.

Zore posted:

Yeah, Golden Wildfire has Claude as the character we were promised before 3 Houses released and it rules super hard.

:sickos:

I'm doing Scarlet Blaze first but I'm already stoked for NG+