Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Now THAT'S how we page-snipe at Corporations Incorporated.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

Now THAT'S how we page-snipe at Corporations Incorporated L.L.C. GmbH Inc. PLC Ltd. RC

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

KozmoNaut posted:

A few months ago, all of our automatic coffee machines were replaced with fancy new ones, plus all the water taps can now dispense sparkling water as well.

Not sure what that indicates, but I definitely don't mind.

I want a sparkling water dispenser at work

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah that would be nice. Make your own soda if you want, otherwise nice sparkly water to help with the after lunch malaise

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vaporware posted:

Yeah that would be nice. Make your own soda if you want, otherwise nice sparkly water to help with the after lunch malaise

This is the big secret. Keep SodaStream syrups at your desk. :D

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Back on PE buyout chat - I worked at an independent retailer for six months before they were bought out by a private equity mob, and lasted six months after that.

Up until the buyout, the founders were in charge of everything day-to-day but had zero strategy, would burn through money doing pointless goofy poo poo and giving jobs to their dodgy friends. It's a miracle they got bought out honestly and probably only because the product was great with a good national reputation.

The PE guys came in, sidelined the founders (who immediately got dirty that they couldn't order the staff to do random "guerilla marketing" stunts any more), made maybe a third of the office redundant in really public and traumatic circumstances (though thankfully it included the dodgy friends who immediately grabbed as much product as they could fit in their cars on the way out), and brought in a new CEO who brought in several mates as execs.

From that point, the new strategy was "go hard, go global, open a billion stores and we'll make our money back by repositioning us as a luxury product". Didn't work. All the new store openings put them in a massive financial hole that they couldn't make back. The office was incredibly toxic, my job had totally changed and I bailed six months later (and yeah, I also stuffed as much product as I could fit into my car).

Once Covid hit, the company went into voluntary administration blaming lockdowns and not the fact that they had been mismanaged for years. They were hunting desperately for a buyer...

..and one of the original founders bought it back. Would love to know if he made or lost money on that.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
w...was the product marijuana?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My previous company was bought by a larger company that while it was in the semiconductor space as well it was used to just cranking out 10-20 year old designs of microprocessors that were produced on ancient fab processes. My company was doing near cutting edge datacenter chips with more transistors in a single device than the buyer company's entire portfolio combined, running complex firmware and on a 3 year cycle from production to EOL.

They hosed it up within 2 years of buying it and nearly everyone who at the architect and technical technical lead level has left with all the new projects being shelved because they have no one to design the devices anymore. It will just be maintenance releases until existing products EOL with nothing to replace them. It's really baffling why they bought us.

Basically not just PEs can be insanely bad buyers of companies :haw:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The worst acquirers are other companies. A tremendous % fail to provide extra value.

Anecdotally, ego also seems to fuel many of them, which is a pretty gross misuse of position given it fucks up the livelihood of two different companies.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Good example of that was a company I worked for what acquired a bunch of smaller competitors in one country just to be able to say they were the biggest in that market. Never did anything with those companies as long as market share was still #1.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Frequently its about buying the customer books, products are secondary

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lockback posted:

Frequently its about buying the customer books, products are secondary

Yeah this part is especially common in shipping. It’s not unheard of for a company to swallow another only to scrap almost their entire fleet.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
In my industry, it's (understandably) usually the reverse. Companies buy out each other to consolidate their product lines and stave off the inevitable collapse of their own products' individual profits as exclusivity periods end. Thou shalt always post record growth, reality be damned.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The plan for this acquisition company was absolutely being able to have a wide portfolio so when there was any kind of datacenter build out they could effectively “own” all the components on a board to to increase customer dependence etc. This is something Broadcom has mastered (and made all its customers hate it in the process lol).

Problem is there is a massive difference in the amount of R&D budget between cost reducing 25 year old designs and having new cutting edge billion gate devices every 3 years..

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Ha, my company (well parts of it) are trying to launch designs from the 1910s, that never saw the light of day. Because hey, sometimes people want to buy a 100 year old design because they last that long.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Oof, my boss thinks a pair of developers can run parallel projects because “I work on a bunch of different things all the time, they can just switch back and forth.”

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Fish fly, birds swim, managers fail. Nature works in mysterious ways.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

secular woods sex posted:

Oof, my boss thinks a pair of developers can run parallel projects because “I work on a bunch of different things all the time, they can just switch back and forth.”

The manager's different things are sending emails, a developer's two things involve complex requirements gathering, planning, sequencing, and execution on thousands of lines of code that do what they're supposed to.

Lol switching between modes or tickets on a single project is bad enough.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Be a development manager and you can have the worst of both worlds!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

I’ve sent that “makers schedule managers schedule” essay to many, many non-technical people. If someone’s basically smart but doesn’t understand programmers, it really helps.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

"Hey man, its all just code."

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Well, it's all over. My company just promoted me to Sr. Manager of Analytical Development! I'm now officially "the man".

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Question at R&D Town Hall:

Q: "Our bi-annual R&D conference is coming up. Given pretty much every other company in the industry does single rooms at their conference, and given the pandemic is not over, why on earth are we expected to double-up every year, let alone this year?"
A: "We literally book out every single hotel, B&B, and sometimes even every AirBNB in the town (Sundae note: Pacific Grove / Monterey) for this event. We're out of rooms to book; if we do singles for everyone, we literally can't fit people."

Ya know, it's almost a fair excuse. *books a single room with a medical reason anyway*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

Question at R&D Town Hall:

Q: "Our bi-annual R&D conference is coming up. Given pretty much every other company in the industry does single rooms at their conference, and given the pandemic is not over, why on earth are we expected to double-up every year, let alone this year?"
A: "We literally book out every single hotel, B&B, and sometimes even every AirBNB in the town (Sundae note: Pacific Grove / Monterey) for this event. We're out of rooms to book; if we do singles for everyone, we literally can't fit people."

Ya know, it's almost a fair excuse. *books a single room with a medical reason anyway*

lmao too bad Monterey is the only conference venue on the west coast. Condolences.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Midjack posted:

lmao too bad Monterey is the only conference venue on the west coast. Condolences.

Yeah, they never talk about that part of it. Gee, we're sending 2,000+ people to Monterey all at once for four days and there's not enough room. Maybe... oh I dunno, anywhere else???

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Man the hotels must be gouging the *gently caress* out of them, too.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Used to go to conferences in SLC and they hosed everyone in hotel prices. Eventually the conference out grew Utah so they moved it to Vegas so they could be gouged more and also no one turn up to the conference sessions at all because you have an expensed trip to Vegas.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Man the hotels must be gouging the *gently caress* out of them, too.

I checked prices right now and they're normal. We'll see what they look like next month when the bookings officially start.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
After a certain scale your choice for conference cities gets really limited and pretty much all roads lead to Vegas.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

After a certain scale your choice for conference cities gets really limited and pretty much all roads lead to Vegas.

Sure, but that's mid 5 digits and higher. There are plenty of places where 2000 people wouldn't be noticed.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Midjack posted:

Sure, but that's mid 5 digits and higher. There are plenty of places where 2000 people wouldn't be noticed.
Pittsburgh wouldn't notice unless you were all dressed as zombies or cereal mascots.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

TheSpartacus posted:

Well, it's all over. My company just promoted me to Sr. Manager of Analytical Development! I'm now officially "the man".

I mourn for you and the management lobotomy you will soon receive.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheSpartacus posted:

Unsolicited advice: read Managing Humans by Michael Lopp

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Remember: your job is to coach, encourage and allow your employees to do their job better, not to do the job yourself.

Pass on praise, accept criticism.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone else view well spoken businessmen with trendy thick-rimmed black glasses as vaguely untrustworthy, or am I just manifesting jealousy in a weird way?

They can be saying something I 100% agree with and I’ll still be looking out for the knife headed for my back.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I always expect a knife in the back from management because that is all I have ever received from management.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Anyone else view well spoken businessmen with trendy thick-rimmed black glasses as vaguely untrustworthy, or am I just manifesting jealousy in a weird way?

They can be saying something I 100% agree with and I’ll still be looking out for the knife headed for my back.

I view businesspeople with trendy anything with side-eye. But I'm in manufacturing-ish land, this probably doesn't work in say, software.

It's probably not healthy but they've generally earned it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FrozenVent posted:

Remember: your job is to coach, encourage and allow your employees to do their job better, not to do the job yourself.

Pass on praise, accept criticism.

Absolutely this. Focus on replacing yourself by developing your people to do so. Give them challenging assignments and support to complete them. Rinse,repeat for as long as it takes so that you replicate you as many times as possible. Then people will see how well you develop and bring people up.

Makes it easier to move you/promote you when your replacement is obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
One more thing. Cultivate an environment where you don't make any decisions. Encourage your team to only bring you opportunities to provide input and that they make decisions that you support. Of course, your opportunity for input precedes their action so you can interject.

In reverse, do this for your leader. Bring FYI and opportunities to provide input and make decisions. I LOVE sending notes like, "Here is the information.... I'll be sending this over at 4p today. Please let me know if you have any input ahead of that."

Then you do it, no waiting for them and you have cover if they dislike it but never responded. Shows that you are taking action but not blindly.