Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Solarin posted:

My best guess is mischief is an experiment to see if they can bribe people with pixels to stop them from quitting. Surprised they didn’t reduce any of the level 70 expansions there. 5 months of anguish/mpg as the premiere source of loot is god awful

This is a problem on every TLP. The OOW/DoN/DoDH/PoR stretch is the worst, and even TSS could do to be shorter. It also usually coincides with a new TLP release (or close) and so there's usually a mass exodus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

suuma posted:

This is a problem on every TLP. The OOW/DoN/DoDH/PoR stretch is the worst, and even TSS could do to be shorter. It also usually coincides with a new TLP release (or close) and so there's usually a mass exodus.

100% this. The nature of the timings of annualized releases of TLPs has the krono lords and forever classic folks in regular churn.

It’s not necessarily a negative thing, a lot of these people are some of the worst people to play with if you’re not in their “in” crowd, but they do kickstart the server economy and usually when they leave the resultant guilds are in pretty good shape moving forward.

Attrition really kicks in around the second year anniversary.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

MF_James posted:

OoW/DoN/DoDH are decent expansions, they introduce actual raid mechanics and will start to weed out the mouth breathers (especially DoDH). I hated PoR on live so I'm sure it won't be any better here, but TSS/TBS were good and I'm very much looking forward to stuff after that like SoD and HoT.

The zones and content are fine but it’s just not enough after DoDH to replace what falls off the schedule before it. No one has anything to do. I think 3-4 raid guilds finally tapped out on our server w/in first two weeks of PoR. Deathknell is cool but super short. Theater of Blood is not great for the PiTA it presents. There was a plat raid on Saturday that cleared the OW mobs and then several again in DZ and the loot was just so bad. Even demiplane starts running out of steam pre TSS. Stoked for that one at least.

quote:

Honestly I have ZERO loving clue how anyone can play classic->kunark->velious ad infinitum because that poo poo is so loving boring, especially classic but holy gently caress does NToV suck dick, fighting dragons for 20-30 minutes where the only mechanic is press autoattack and make sure you have MR buffs so you get feared less is awful.

Hard agree. I’ve been leveling up some yelinak toons for krono farming and as a lifeboat and it’s funny watching the whole recycle process play out again after having gone through it naively as a new tlper/returning player.

Lady Nev in era :suicide:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am 10000% here for the nostalgia and will probably stick around through PoP

This DKP discussion has let me know to just aim for gearing for Hate/Fear and than not really worrying about it until Velious

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yiggy posted:

The zones and content are fine but it’s just not enough after DoDH to replace what falls off the schedule before it. No one has anything to do. I think 3-4 raid guilds finally tapped out on our server w/in first two weeks of PoR. Deathknell is cool but super short. Theater of Blood is not great for the PiTA it presents. There was a plat raid on Saturday that cleared the OW mobs and then several again in DZ and the loot was just so bad. Even demiplane starts running out of steam pre TSS. Stoked for that one at least.

Hard agree. I’ve been leveling up some yelinak toons for krono farming and as a lifeboat and it’s funny watching the whole recycle process play out again after having gone through it naively as a new tlper/returning player.

Lady Nev in era :suicide:

Yeah, i didn't start raiding until velious and even then I waited a month into it to finish leveling, join a guild and start raiding, so everything was on farm and we were steamrolling everything in ntov..

Lady Nev was still long but we weren't deep splitting until luclin so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

koreban posted:

GoD is unlocked

I’m in the camp for whom this instantly disqualifies a TLP from relevance.

Putting all my eggs in the 2023 Mischief clone basket. If it doesn’t happen I’ll keep playing other games. Just platinumed Demon’s Souls and it rules.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I’m not sure how much time needs to pass before I could tolerate pre 65/70 EQ again. It took playing on 2.5 TLPs before I had my fill of it though, so I get the appeal.

The gameplay just feels too bland with the lack of clicks, discs and spells I got used to playing with. Like playing a monk without speed focus/destructive fury, or rapid kick? Without stonewall and critical mend and stunning round kick and 2.0 heal and imitate death and 75%+ stun resist? Pointless. Unacceptable.

But I get that nobody plays EQ TLPs for gameplay, they’re playing for the casual social experience, nostalgia and dopamine of making bar go up/getting high value pixels they can sell in the tunnel. Makes sense for them to hop off before DoN/DoDh where the game changes pretty hard

Solarin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 27, 2022

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

Vaniki has double drop rates on mobs and permanent 50% boost to rares. GoD is unlocked, so the exp rates are boosted versus a normal TLP. Most AAs will autogrant up until characters are around 75 or 80.

I've leveled several characters on Vaniki and that double drop rate thing is really drat nice. Even just getting piles of ringmail to vendor early made a big difference in cash flow.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Double loot gave me 2x box of abu-kar the other night, it’s great.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Personally I am only here for the classic-PoP route because that's where my nostalgia for the game is - I super do not have any attachment or interest in any of the content after that, honestly. I've never even been to whatever the zones of whatever content Gulf of Gunthak or whatever the gently caress releases during POP, I've never done an LDON, don't give a poo poo. Every time POP starts getting old on a TLP my eyes glaze over and i quit playing. Altho at least part of that is because it becomes very difficult to find groups at a certain point. Mainly I just enjoy experiencing the game I remember as a class I haven't played before. I was originally an Enchanter, have done TLP's as Ranger and Wizard, if I go again it'll probably be a Necromancer since that's always seemed like an interesting class that can do a lot of cool things.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I quite enjoy the focused dungeon experience that LDON is, but I just don't care enough to stick around after PoP as well for it. Plus, its more of a mid range exp no?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Waroduce posted:

I quite enjoy the focused dungeon experience that LDON is, but I just don't care enough to stick around after PoP as well for it. Plus, its more of a mid range exp no?

There are raids. With some augs that have super long shelf life. That recently had their drop rate increased. And while the expansion Aug is widely panned as not worth doing, if you have a good system for grinding it out it’s still like 2nd/3rd BIS charm Aug still in PoR. And the other two drop from raids that people hate doing so they fell off our schedule fast.

It’s super grindy tho. But there are a handful of things out of it that have value.

Edit: also oddly enough the technical BIS bow drops in a rujark hills two group LDoN that was until just 2 months ago completely broken. The bow could drop but the event would always result in failure. They fixed the part about the auto fail. Which is bittersweet because bow rangers stop being a thing starting in GoD.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 28, 2022

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

I’m in the camp for whom this instantly disqualifies a TLP from relevance.

GoD killed EQ for me in 2004.

Having replayed it over half a dozen or more TLPs since, it’s one of my favorite expansions. Every other MMO has dragon fights and weird moonscapes and even god fights, but only EQ just goes balls out and brings in extra dimensional invaders who are thwarted by a group that says “gently caress the major cities and races, we’re building an Ark and taking the fight to Cthulhu directly.”

Once you get past the hilariously bad names and just accept what they are, it’s one of the best expansions for in-era content, grouping, raiding, and going back 3 expansions later with 3-4 buddies and going ham with alts in.

It’s top notch, seriously.

quote:

Putting all my eggs in the 2023 Mischief clone basket. If it doesn’t happen I’ll keep playing other games. Just platinumed Demon’s Souls and it rules.

My friends and I were talking about this tonight. It may not be the next TLPs, but for sure in the next two releases, they’re just going to take all the bullshit barriers down and make the most player friendly, time-respecting server ever. Double loot, double rares, full live XP rate from the jump, free trade.

It’s going to be a renaissance.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What I want to see is a small raid mode you can select at all the Agents of Change where mob health is tuned for like 3-4 groups. Have this mode drop the current number of items and the regular mode drop proportionally more. I think the most interesting thing mischief did is making smaller raids able to attain really good poo poo in era. Some eras have relevant small raid targets and it’s awesome, make it a thing for every era.

I also want some limited ability to spin up a private pick of any zone where you can invite who you want and camp whatever the gently caress you want in peace for x hours once every n days. I just can’t with the loving greasy camp competition and krono lording any more. I used to chill in raid DZs a couple times a week and clear them out for xp and the occasional rare drop but that’s mostly been dismantled.

Both of these will never, ever happen but I can dream. They’re way too much of a risk to what they’re successfully selling every year. Also the technical or dev time constraints are a thing.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Solarin posted:

I also want some limited ability to spin up a private pick of any zone where you can invite who you want and camp whatever the gently caress you want in peace for x hours once every n days. I just can’t with the loving greasy camp competition and krono lording any more. I used to chill in raid DZs a couple times a week and clear them out for xp and the occasional rare drop but that’s mostly been dismantled.

god yes. Picks are ok conceptually but I've never been able to take my static 3-man crew (non-boxed) into any level-appropriate camps like MR/FP in Unrest or GY in Mistmoore on Yelinak. when I start a session on a Tuesday night at 8PM, I've got about 2 hours to play with my friends before we have to go to bed for work the next day. don't really have time to bounce between picks trying to eek out a spot to camp, much less travel halfway across the world to try another dungeon. Would love to fire up a private pick even if it's on a lockout timer or has limited duration.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

cmdrk posted:

god yes. Picks are ok conceptually but I've never been able to take my static 3-man crew (non-boxed) into any level-appropriate camps like MR/FP in Unrest or GY in Mistmoore on Yelinak. when I start a session on a Tuesday night at 8PM, I've got about 2 hours to play with my friends before we have to go to bed for work the next day. don't really have time to bounce between picks trying to eek out a spot to camp, much less travel halfway across the world to try another dungeon. Would love to fire up a private pick even if it's on a lockout timer or has limited duration.

I really want to do MM on Yelinak and I'm currently level 16. Rcarr is like 26 we got into a gravy train exp group last night in unrest, but he was ahead. I'm Waro in game you should friend and send me a tell!

I think I've successfully peer pressured a friend into Resubbing (Schmowboy) so I'll let you guys know.

I should be on tonight 9PM-12PM ish EST and tomorrow I'm monitoring a deployment so probably the same window.

I'm in unrest now but I'd like to get to MM at some point and than probably over to guk or something?

One of the things I'd like to do is some good old fashion dungeon crawling during the leveling but especially in Kunark around Old Seb and such to be properly geared for Velious.

Where are we at in the server progression? Is Kunark open rn?

e: I would LOVE to get a proper little goon dungeon clearing group open and it sounds like we're all roughly similar level rn. Im sad there's no goon discord maybe we can find a channel or something. Is anyone else relatively low level on yelinak? post your info!

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 28, 2022

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
Yelinak kunark launches July 20th

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

Both of these will never, ever happen but I can dream. They’re way too much of a risk to what they’re successfully selling every year. Also the technical or dev time constraints are a thing.

Not gonna lie, I don’t think that’s impossible.

The DZ with universal cooldown times is probably not doable, but DZs with respawn or scaling difficulty probably isn’t.

If you can engage with jchen or ngreth on discord or the forums is probably the best way to provide that feedback.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Snotty By Nature posted:

Yelinak kunark launches July 20th

oh wow i might be able to go gently caress around in Kunark off the rip than!

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Yelinak has been weird. The overall amount of toxic players seems a lot higher than what I had to deal with on Thornblade last year.

I got to do basically all the classic raid content on Yelinak though. That's something I guess. I think the 2 month expansion unlock might be too long though. I'm sitting on a 50 druid and a 50 necro on a 2nd account. I have no idea what to do for 20 something more days.

I've basically just been doing the most toxic thing possible: givng myself brain damage killing hill giants and buying krono.

Krono is like 2600 to 2800 right now. I've banked a bunch of them.

Hopefully kunark will add some excitement. But I imagine it's going to be insanely toxic trying to camp any big krono item. I want a Fungi Staff, CoS, and a couple heiro cloaks. I can only imagine how brutal that's gonna be to try to get without spending a ton of krono.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Malaria posted:

Yelinak has been weird. The overall amount of toxic players seems a lot higher than what I had to deal with on Thornblade last year.

I got to do basically all the classic raid content on Yelinak though. That's something I guess. I think the 2 month expansion unlock might be too long though. I'm sitting on a 50 druid and a 50 necro on a 2nd account. I have no idea what to do for 20 something more days.

I've basically just been doing the most toxic thing possible: givng myself brain damage killing hill giants and buying krono.

Hopefully kunark will add some excitement. But I imagine it's going to be insanely toxic trying to camp any big krono item. I want a Fungi Staff, CoS, and a couple heiro cloaks. I can only imagine how brutal that's gonna be to try to get without spending a ton of krono.

you can powerlevel us homie

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Waroduce posted:

you can powerlevel us homie

/friend Morbid(my necro) and Gojira(druid). I will totally help out 😁

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Malaria posted:

does Krono go up or down from this price point?

I didn't quite realize Kunark wasn't open, I'm very interested in making it to at least 45ish to be able to get into Kunark off the rip so I'm considering purchasing some more to literally buy all the Pre-Planar gear I can and possibly pay for an ingame PL.

e: also AWESOME! i'll be on by 9 EST probably for 2-3 hours.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Waroduce posted:

does Krono go up or down from this price point?

Probably up. My memory of Aradune server was it got to ~11k by the end of velious. Peaked on Aradune sometime around 120ishk around OoW and has fallen down to 55k since. Mischief was wackier from what I remember.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea Krono will only go up in value

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Malaria posted:

Have you considered training your competition?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Have you considered training your competition?

This is the way

Is training specifically against rules on live? Bc back in the day.....you know....poo poo happens

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
It’s against the rules to do it on purpose. Never admit guilt and always apologize profusely for the inconvenient wipe.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Waroduce posted:

This is the way

Is training specifically against rules on live? Bc back in the day.....you know....poo poo happens

Cast resist magic in their charm pets. Break mezzes with low level aoe dots or nukes. Root runners. Leave mezzed mem-wiped mobs nearby and conveniently be invis when mezz breaks. Hell, just start pulling and killing into their camp until the chaos overwhelms them. The possibilities are endless. Just get real greasy with it. Who cares if you get a little supsy, that's just an opportunity to hang out with rl friends.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would imagine with instances it's like a self solving problem, I'd immediately just cycle through the various instances looking for what I was after.

Are spawns synced on instances re: timers place holders etc? Or can you cycle through like 90 zones till you find the special boy who drops the Mcguffin you need

E: like that stupid turtle in Velious

E2: popping on for some UR levels

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I would imagine with instances it's like a self solving problem, I'd immediately just cycle through the various instances looking for what I was after.

Are spawns synced on instances re: timers place holders etc? Or can you cycle through like 90 zones till you find the special boy who drops the Mcguffin you need

There will only be one instance of a zone until it hits a certain amount of players. So say once there’s 30 people in unrest (each zone has a specific number, I just made up 30), then a new instance will spawn. If that one then hits 30 people, a third will spawn. If any of those instances drops below a certain number of players, it will be despawned.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Waroduce posted:

There's no AoC for lodizal iirc. But i think there's a way you can cycle AoC instances where only one person gets locked out per instance checked. I think we did that for farming the KC VP key piece before we my guild could do venril sathir?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
On Vaniki a couple of zone unlocks have been brought forward - Sleepers and VT are now open.

I'd be amazed if the Sleeper wasn't woken by the weekend...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I do not recommend training folks, you will get recorded and take a 7 day vacation (aka 7 day suspension), this is especially true if you're in a guild that is a rival to the folks you trained and they will wait until the day before/of an expansion drop to report you.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What are Day 1 releases like on TLP's? I'd really like to be ready for Kunark to go play in Old Sebelis and such but is it just a bunch of nerds standing at a dock or next to a translocator until the boat shows up? and than you run on over im guessing? Like do people usually have pre-arranged groups or you can just go show up and /lfg it?

e: Can I use the parcel service on a TLP between myself and a different server? or no? specifically Krono

also, I don't seem to have some maps when I hit M. like Mistmoore and Butcherblock are empty maps....do I need to go somewhere to download them or something?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 29, 2022

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Waroduce posted:

What are Day 1 releases like on TLP's? Like do people usually have pre-arranged groups or you can just go show up and /lfg it?

e: Can I use the parcel service on a TLP between myself and a different server? or no? specifically Krono

also, I don't seem to have some maps when I hit M. like Mistmoore and Butcherblock are empty maps....do I need to go somewhere to download them or something?

Expansion releases will be peak chaos. Many bored players will return and the tryhard guilds will be rushing content. The serious guilds will have groups roughly prearranged, but there will be a lot of pickup groups. Many players are not rushing and will take it slower.

Some people might do the low 50's in the Hole, but Chardok and Sebilis should have plenty of groups. Karnor's Castle and Howling Stones might have some people, but KC exp sucks and HS requires a rarer key.

There is probably going to be an experience bonus this weekend too. Experience bonuses commonly increase server populations so you'll have more people to group with.

You can't parcel across servers. Character server transfers can be purchased, but you can't transfer "backwards" to a server on a previous expansion.

The in-game default maps are bad. The "brewall's" and "goode's" map packs are very popular. There is a dropdown list on the maps page so you can have multiple map sets to pick from.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Waroduce posted:

What are Day 1 releases like on TLP's? I'd really like to be ready for Kunark to go play in Old Sebelis and such but is it just a bunch of nerds standing at a dock or next to a translocator until the boat shows up? and than you run on over im guessing? Like do people usually have pre-arranged groups or you can just go show up and /lfg it?

Yes, download Brewall's maps (there's another set that is good/better but I can't recall the name), put them in the proper spot, and then make sure to load them, there's a dropdown in the maps menu to do so.

I would think BB would have a map but whatever.

As for launch, it depends, there will be folks LFG, but yes lots of folks will have premade groups, everyone will be standing waiting at whatever spot for 5PM EST to hit, at which point (or near...) there will be an emote that goes out saying Kunark is active, then everything will lag as the zones are built and you'll spend 10 minutes zoning whenever you're lucky enough for FV/OT to finish building, then you'll lag across those zones and spend 10 minutes trying to zone into FM/SF/whatever, and load for 10 minutes, maybe getting kicked out of the game and having to log back in etc etc etc.

After a few hours things stabilize, but yeah the first few hours are pretty brutal as their pentium 4 desktops attempt to build the kunark zones 1 by 1.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Look into Brewall maps, the default set of maps is pretty limited. Brewalls can be information overload so you’ll want to mess around with the Label and Layers 1-2-3 buttons on the map window after you get them installed.

Expansion launch is basically what you said. People mass at the connecting points and spam click the thing until the server updates and lets them through. Probably will be plenty of people doing pick up groups for sebilis but keep in mind you need to do a key quest in Trakanon’s Teeth that’s pretty fast but probably not soloable. Also be aware that other groups can come push you out of a camp if they have enough DPS to do so. Won’t happen all the time but if you have one or two players trying to ‘hold’ a camp like fungus king or crypt while the rest of the group gets there that is often when other groups swoop in and everyone gets pissy.

People will farm seb/chardok/karnors/howling stones non stop for the next two months so don’t stress about being part of the launch fray if you don’t want to be.

e: also krono is account wide. If you have it you can trade it on any server.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 29, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea if you have a Krono it will be in the inventory of any character on that account, no matter the server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It’s very much the thing to do that whenever you have plat to buy a krono, you buy the krono. Never let plat sit in the bank if you can convert it up.

Also consider selling big ticket items you are using if you plan to be afk for a few days / week. The market moves frequently enough that you can essentially rent krono priced items and get a profit from selling then buying them back over a few days.

Having a lot of fun on Vaniki. Not sure if there’s many of us in the thread playing there, but I’ve seen content I’ve never done before and have an abundance of OP gear for a level 50. Plane of Tactics has been a hilariously fun zone from the massive gently caress-off ogres, hedge maze was a neat idea, and that fight in the innovation factory with split groups and mecha spiders was the first real unique boss mechanic fight I’ve done in EQ before.

Really realizing my 11 year old power fantasy of being an Uber twink. Double loot is awesome because it takes only a couple raids to really feel like your entire raid force is getting worthwhile upgrades, and basically every single boss kill is dropping loot somebody wants. Honestly going to be really hard to play on a future TLP without double loot. It’s just such an amazing boost to QoL in terms of how much you have to repeat content. Think we need only 2-3 more KT kills before every raiding priest has their FT boots for example, and then we’re basically done with velious content entirely.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 29, 2022