Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cumberbatch sucked rear end in Dr. Strange.

He's been good since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lager posted:

Cast Jamie Lee Curtis and Christopher Guest, come on Marvel you cowards

gently caress, now I'm imagining a mockumentary Fantastic 4 and I'm just going to be disappointed forever.

I mean it would be John Michael Higgins as Reed, Parker Posey as Sue, Harry Shearer as Ben, Zach Woods as Johnny, Bob Balaban as Mole Man, Christopher Guest as Doom, and maybe Michael Hitchcock as Annihilus and Eugene Levey as Galactus.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean if you are gonna cast anyone from the office as F4 it should be Rainn Wilson as Mole Man
Sure just start grabbing Office Alums as F4 ppl.

Fat Guy as The Thing. Ellie Kemper as the Human Torch. Idris Elba as Dr. Metal face.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finally got the chance to sit down with Strange 2. Having seen that and Batman, I can finally return to this thread.

I thought it was fine? Not incredible. Not bad. Just solid. The weird visuals were very good. I like America. I think Cumberbatch has become very very good at being Dr. Strange. That said, there were bits that didn't work for me. Some goofy angles. The obligatory Bruce Campbell bit was something I expected, but was still underwhelmed by. I was actually very pleased how quick they got to Wanda as the antagonist. The "You didn't tell me her name" bit was fun because I noticed it as it happened. And of course, seeing Stewart get to be Professor X for probably the last time was a joy. Just unmitigated joy. Hayley Atwell is also great as Captain Carter. Couldn't care for the rest if I tried. Can't believe Reed Richards finally showed up in the MCU just to mention Franklin and Valeria and then die hilariously.

Also, what do you mean 616? No it's not!

It definitely cleared your Eternals and Thor: Dark Worlds, but I'm not so ready to place it toward the top.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I thought he did fine eventhough I was a part of the original pushback on the fan casting but my partner, who had zero awareness of the MCU internet discourse and little to no awareness of the character in comics AND is a huge The Office nut, loving loathed him in it.

I saw it with my dad and he wasn't a fan, but he also admitted that he has a hard time seeing him as anybody but Jim. Maybe it helps that its easier for me to disassociate him from that when he has a beard, I dunno.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SonicRulez posted:

Finally got the chance to sit down with Strange 2. Having seen that and Batman, I can finally return to this thread.

I was actually very pleased how quick they got to Wanda as the antagonist. The "You didn't tell me her name" bit was fun because I noticed it as it happened.
I really did love how self-aware that bit was. Literally as soon as she does it, the next lines are "...you didn't tell me her --" "I didn't tell you her name, no" and then they start fighting. If you're gonna do a cliche, leaning into it is the right way.

quote:

Also, what do you mean 616? No it's not!
Fun fact: Iman Vellani has repeatedly chewed out Kevin Feige about that. She truly is the hero we need.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
We’re any deleted scenes in the Disney+ release of Strange 2? Apparently there’s 40 minutes missing? I wanna know more about the universe where the original avengers obviously lost to Ultron and this weird Authority is Justice Lording about drat it!

Also I’m not getting over Mysterio calling it 616 years previously. I thought he was full of crap, but maybe he just did the same thing Wanda did and used magic to mess with Spider-Man. That’s totally a thing he would do!

King Baby fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 24, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arist posted:

Marvel has generally nailed casting, so them giving into Office Jim as Reed was pretty disappointing, especially if it means that's the Reed we're stuck with. It comes down to three things: Krasinski is wrong for the part in that I don't buy him as a smart guy, he's really boring in the movie itself, and also it's just a really obvious and boring choice at this point given the fan demand. It's not a great pick.

Really? I'm not a big MCU internet guy but I thought it was great casting. He looks perfect for the part, and I could absolutely buy him as a superscientist -- like I said, I'm picturing literally Jim from the Office smugly lying to Dwight, except instead of a bullshit story to prank him, it's actually completely true superscience bullshit.

It's just that he put basically no character into any of his lines, felt like he was disinterestedly reading off of a script.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Phenotype posted:

It's just that he put basically no character into any of his lines, felt like he was disinterestedly reading off of a script.

This is the problem. For me, Reed is authoritative, and he would enunciate and be pedantic. "Jim" has none of those characteristics. He doesn't pull off the know-it-all who is excited to tell you he knows it all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32zzZE658ec&t=462s
Like, picture that Jim when he's interrogating Strange in front of the Illuminati and telling him why it's so dangerous to let him go. Except he really is serious because he's an rear end in a top hat superscientist who knows better than anyone else. He's not that far from a pretty fun MCU version of the character, really, but what we got was just so bland that it killed my excitement for him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hate Jim Office's smug goon face. Having to watch it for more than a minute would be unbearable

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope Kamala and America get to be friends.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

In a perfect world it would have been Norm McDonald. RIP.

"Ben, you're a rock-like thing of a man, so we'll call you the Thing. Sue, you can turn invisible, so your name is the Invisible Woman! Johnny, you're human, and you're a torch, we'll call you the Human Torch! As for me, Reed Richards, I can stretch my body like a rubber band. I will be Mr. Fantastic! okay moving on lets discuss the"

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 25, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Phenotype posted:

In a perfect world it would have been Norm McDonald. RIP.

"Ben, you're a rock-like thing of a man, so we'll call you the Thing. Sue, you can turn invisible, so your name is the Invisible Woman! Johnny, you're human, and you're a torch, we'll call you the Human Torch! As for me, Reed Richards, I can stretch my body like a rubber band. I will be Mr. Fantastic! okay moving on lets discuss the"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GyCK9RdGSI

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Well this just makes Richards look like a real jerk, I tell you what.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Cast Johnny Depp as Reed and Amber Heard as Sue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Whenever someone suggests a real life couple should be cast as a screen couple in any kind of adaption, I think about the bit in the Netflix MST3K Hercules where Micky Hargetay kisses Jane Mansfield and I think its Crow that says "They're married in real life and they kiss like that?".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Here me out here, Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis. Nobody will see that one comming.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cast that guy from Whiplash as Reed. What was his name? JK Simmons

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Cast that guy from Whiplash as Reed. What was his name? JK Simmons

I know you are joking but counterpart does show he can do two characters with identical appearance and wildly different personalities and I can see him doing both Jonah AND Reed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wouldn't be against an older FF. Especially if it means their kids are older. The one weird thing about it would be Torch. I just don't see that personality as anything other than a young guy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

I wouldn't be against an older FF. Especially if it means their kids are older. The one weird thing about it would be Torch. I just don't see that personality as anything other than a young guy.
Sue can be in her 40s and have a 17 year old brother. She probably graduated from College at 15 so maybe her parents wanted a "normal" kid.

Having a younger Johnny means that he slots in with the Peter/Kamala/America/Miles team.

Also, thanks to D+ I finally saw MoM and I felt like Raimi was constrained by Marvel style for the first half. Then we get the cool altered shots like scary deadite spirits pulling focus and being little dipshits and the multiverse trip with the good CGI. Little sad that Wanda got all chumped with being a lol crazy mother, but I'm hopeful that she'll come back with some BS "I took the Darkhold into myself" and not be the bad guy here. It's an overall disappointing evolution of where she was left in Wandavision, with a cliche Grief Turned Me Bad story that's mirrored in Strange's journey.

I think overlooking Vision because they didn't want to budget in another Paul Bettany performance really sucked a lot of the emotional weight from the film. With Wanda being so obsessed with the children and not the family she lost, and her anger at hurting Vision for ultimately no reason, it seems like they took a step back.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 25, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There are plenty of 30 year old party boy man children out there

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Opopanax posted:

There are plenty of 30 year old party boy man children out there
gently caress that poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

Ryan Reynolds can play older guy pathetically thinking he’s still young really well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Feige has confirmed that Marvel Studios is returning to Hall H at SDCC next month:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1540479747536211968

They're also going to be at D23 in September, so expect them to save some announcements for the latter event (they did the same thing in 2019, where they saved the Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, and She-Hulk announcements, plus some casting announcements, for D23).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was making a delivery at a Walmart today and saw an employee taking down the Morbius display and putting it into the cardboard baler.

I didn't ask where all the discs from the display went.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Morbs Across America provided them to low morbed households

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They were sold out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm personally shocked you didn't try to grab the display to sell for untold fortunes on Facebook marketplace

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FilthyImp posted:

Morbs Across America provided them to low morbed households

We're the Morbs in America, woho!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
As an aside, do you reckon Wiccan and Speed have powers?

FilthyImp posted:

Sue can be in her 40s and have a 17 year old brother. She probably graduated from College at 15 so maybe her parents wanted a "normal" kid.

Having a younger Johnny means that he slots in with the Peter/Kamala/America/Miles team.

Also, thanks to D+ I finally saw MoM and I felt like Raimi was constrained by Marvel style for the first half. Then we get the cool altered shots like scary deadite spirits pulling focus and being little dipshits and the multiverse trip with the good CGI. Little sad that Wanda got all chumped with being a lol crazy mother, but I'm hopeful that she'll come back with some BS "I took the Darkhold into myself" and not be the bad guy here. It's an overall disappointing evolution of where she was left in Wandavision, with a cliche Grief Turned Me Bad story that's mirrored in Strange's journey.

I think overlooking Vision because they didn't want to budget in another Paul Bettany performance really sucked a lot of the emotional weight from the film. With Wanda being so obsessed with the children and not the family she lost, and her anger at hurting Vision for ultimately no reason, it seems like they took a step back.

It was bothering me so much that nobody asked Wanda why none of her alternate realities seemed to include The Vision. I don't even remember an acknowledgement. I thought the film was doing it on purpose at first. Like it would be asked as an armor-piercing question like they did with "What happens to the Wanda of that world when you make your jump?" But that didn't happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Emma Roberts has signed on to Sony’s Madame Web project in an unknown role

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1541465658843709441?s=21&t=hNmIhjXyYukfKVjxaubr3A

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
she’s gonna play kraven, book it

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Emma Roberts has signed on to Sony’s Madame Web project in an unknown role

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1541465658843709441?s=21&t=hNmIhjXyYukfKVjxaubr3A

Reading the article it says

quote:

and “El Muerto,” featuring the musician known as Bad Bunny.

What? This isn't real, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was announced a few months ago.

Bad Bunny is gigantic in Latin America.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I suspect these films will do as well as Morbius did.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

it's gonna make a webbillion dollars

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

A few weeks ago my friends asked me about this El Muerto movie.
I can guarantee the reason Sony are making it is they had a script for a "Action movie staring a Wrestler" and somebody got it green lit by adding the Spider-man IP to the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madame Web might be okay. I think it depends on the script because the cast is pretty good, and if it's about Anya becoming Spider-Girl that would be pretty cool.

I mean, I don't know why you don't just call it Spider-Girl or Spider-Woman or whatever at that point, but eh