Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so the "deloris city" (manhatten ?) - you don't put 3 d-bags jogging down a staircase saying "this place is loving wild" because they just had really good sushi on their day off... do you ? so its a holiday sim ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Qmass posted:

so the "deloris city" (manhatten ?) - you don't put 3 d-bags jogging down a staircase saying "this place is loving wild" because they just had really good sushi on their day off... do you ? so its a holiday sim ?

Maybe it's like a Sex In the City World. Something geared toward people who want a lot less violence and death in their adventure. It's not like Second Life and The Sims didn't have huge followings.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Qmass posted:

If it's New York World, then investment dude must get blown up by a literal cannon.

Lister posted:

I can't believe they did a time jump that glosses over the world being turned upside down at the end of S3. And then they also do that thing where a character is in a deep, meaningful relation with a new character and we have no idea why they both love each other since we know nothing about this new person. Give me a loving break.
The world wasn't turned upside down though, that's explicitly stated in this very episode. Which aligns perfectly with the message of the last season, where the super computer is just a stand-in for the systems of control we already have - and which would still be there without it. Individual people might have had their world turned upside down, but the system just reasserted itself after that little hiccup.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A front door that you have to stare at for 30 seconds to gain entry seems like a bad idea.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That street set outside "Christina"'s place makes me not hate cities quite as much.

I agree with the thread's arguments that she's in some metaverse eroge (that "fungible" version of the Park that William is talking about putting online at the start of the episode). I'm assuming she's the "good" half of the Delores/Wyatt split personality.

And, I'm calling it, giant fly / spider battle on that enormous tower from the opening credits (the one covered with webbing), just like at the end of Resident Evil 6.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
gently caress it. I said I'd wait for a few episodes to see how it went, but I'm already watching The Boys and Strange New Worlds, so I'm getting my good TV fix.

Let's tap that vein of lovely programming once more.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ignis posted:

He was killed and replaced by Robo Ed Harris, who works for Halebot

I had the same question, thanks for answering. I absolutely don't remember that happening but sure, why not? I had to Google IMDB to remember who Halebot was. Not sure if that's a damning statement about my memory, the length of time between seasons, or the quality of the storytelling. Probably all three.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I had the same question, thanks for answering. I absolutely don't remember that happening but sure, why not? I had to Google IMDB to remember who Halebot was. Not sure if that's a damning statement about my memory, the length of time between seasons, or the quality of the storytelling. Probably all three.

Everyone also keep in mind that S3 was :airquote: forgettable :airquote: to many people because the season literally dropped at the same time as Sars-CoV-2 and so people were a little distracted by the time S3E3 aired because literally the entire world and organized society was collapsing in real time...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

...who is a Dolores? They are are Dolorii, right?

There is probably a youtube video explaining all of this. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihcXKSg2i8s

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you don't want to watch something as long as an episode of The Simpsons, here's a video that's just the bits about season 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBdn6oAB52I

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Everyone also keep in mind that S3 was :airquote: forgettable :airquote:
Indeed forgettable, because I have no idea what war there was that required dismantling all robots whatsoever.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

There better be a giant robot spider episode called Wild Wild Westworld

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My brain just shut off whenever Maeve is on screen doing her poo poo. This season she is a Long Kiss Goodnight assassin, except without all the cursing so where is the fun?

I don't know why Dolores get upset when face her NPC character. Look just ask for 20k to rewrite his ending, easy!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Qmass posted:

That was my thought. Also the guy talking about the tower looming over them. We know the Hosts don't see things they're not supposed to.

And the street lights along Dolores' street also looked a lot like the tower we saw in the intro.

But maybe it's all too obvious for a show designed around making everything as hard to understand as possible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you don't want to watch something as long as an episode of The Simpsons, here's a video that's just the bits about season 3

Oh my god. I had forgotten 95% of all of that.

That season was such a mess. Even a recap didn't help it all make sense.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The world wasn't turned upside down though, that's explicitly stated in this very episode. Which aligns perfectly with the message of the last season, where the super computer is just a stand-in for the systems of control we already have - and which would still be there without it. Individual people might have had their world turned upside down, but the system just reasserted itself after that little hiccup.

Yes, the episode said the world wasn't turned upside down. That's the problem, since it could have just as easily said the opposite. The setup at the end of S3 is glossed over with a time jump and them telling us what happened instead of letting it play out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lister posted:

Yes, the episode said the world wasn't turned upside down. That's the problem, since it could have just as easily said the opposite. The setup at the end of S3 is glossed over with a time jump and them telling us what happened instead of letting it play out.

TBH I assumed they were deliberately withholding information so that Delores/Christina could play out without entirely tipping their hand. I spent a lot of the premier wondering whether Caleb might also be locked away in some sort of simulation, because of the way the characters around him talk about his PTSD and his conception of reality (and because this is Westworld), but that ending seems to have put paid to that angle.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I thought a few time the dialogue was crap during the episode.
The set design and overworld building look great. That's one reason I watch WW half heartedly but not Raised by Wolves S2. I like Dolores's "female mage" outfit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lister posted:

But the whole thing is that nothing happened. Skipping periods of nothing happening is like the standard way of showing that.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Not gonna lie: When I saw Maeve driving down the mountain in that pickup for the briefest flicker I hoped we could abandon the convoluted host plotline altogether. That we could have this be the start of Transmetropolitan: The Simulation with Thandiwe Newton as Spider Jerusalem. But then the show just kept going and that made me sad.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just going into Bladerunner territory, where hosts are illegal but anybody rich still has them, and half the rich are hosts

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I think it was in this thread that I offered up a prediction when Season 1 was wrapping up that our scrappy band of hosts would escape the park only to find out humanity died out a long time ago. That the visitors to the park were just hosts themselves and just like the hosts in the park they were content to not think too hard about the nature of their reality.

I'm pretty sure I recall that someone tsktsk'ed me for being a downer, that humanity was hopelessly doomed.... Man, 2016 was such a optimistic time!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone also keep in mind that S3 was :airquote: forgettable :airquote: to many people because the season literally dropped at the same time as Sars-CoV-2 and so people were a little distracted by the time S3E3 aired because literally the entire world and organized society was collapsing in real time...

Also because it was really bad and boring.

I watched lots of things during that same period of time that I remember perfectly well. Season 3 of Westworld, not so much.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
Real "Lost" vibes this season so far.

I don't have any confidence they're going to pay off any of this.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

rich thick and creamy posted:

I think it was in this thread that I offered up a prediction when Season 1 was wrapping up that our scrappy band of hosts would escape the park only to find out humanity died out a long time ago.

I never thought this specific thing, but I do (still) suspect that the show will end on a similar note to Spielberg's A.I., where humanity dies out on its own, but the intellectual and cultural legacy of humanity is preserved in these humanoid robots first built as slaves and distractions for wealthy assholes.

Multiple characters had/have the explicit goal of duplicating a real human consciousness, and there's all the Marxist subtext to S3 where the robot-slaves have a similar experience to (and common cause with) working class humans living as algorithm-slaves in "the real world." My guess is that these ideas persist, and the point becomes that the robots represent a utopian alternative to the current hell-world run by the wealthy technocracy. In centuries or millennia, all "real" humans will be gone, but a reasonable simulation of them will still be around in something similar to The Valley Beyond.

Which could also be anywhere, including underground or on other planets or just floating in space.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Still no word about why they had disable all their non-host robots. There's gonna be a million and one flashbacks, isn't there?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Banning worker robot (but humanoid robot surprise!) is such a old scifi trope my brain just ignored it when I saw it on screen.

We got it in Foundation, Bladerunner and I think Picard which is a stupider show than WW.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Elysiumworld, where everyone is just an incorporeal orb plugged into a massive space station living in VR.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I did enjoy s3's attempt to portray dolares as the savoir of humanity after two seasons of her murdering every human she saw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
any story can be made mysterious and dynamic simply by never editing it together cohesively.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Count me in as one of the people who didn't really remember what happened in S3.

The first episode of S4 felt aggressively mediocre. I'm ok with mystery and confusion in storylines as long as there is sufficient payoff, which I don't know if they can really pull off here.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh wait I forgot the worst thing in the whole snow: :wtc: was that fake-rear end fire when Maeve burned the cabin down?
:lol::laffo::lol:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Oh wait I forgot the worst thing in the whole snow: :wtc: was that fake-rear end fire when Maeve burned the cabin down?

Thankfully i’m not the only person who caught that. That was some mid-90’s rear end CGI fire.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Gangster world looks dope but itl probably get 20 min in episode 7.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
I get the hate people have for season 3 but I personally have been sold on the whole story since the first 10 minutes of the first episode so I was glad to see season 4 was coming out.

Pretty strong feeling in my gut that there will be aspect ratio widening and the black bars that mean simulation will show up.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m just assuming that the flies are roboflies full of nanomachines or something, and they make a person susceptible to the orders of Ed Harris and his host pals.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The twist is that the robits and a ruling class of collaborators won the war. Not Dolores is in a "docile people" instance of Worldworld. Maeve and JesseCaleb are in a chaotic one because they'd never accept the docile one.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oh my god I meant to bring this up
It was so loving bad

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Better Call Saul was playing at the same time and was easier to remember. Season 3 of Westworld had a whole bunch of things that happened without obvious cause and effect connection making it so it’s harder to recall the overall story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The twist is that the robits and a ruling class of collaborators won the war. Not Dolores is in a "docile people" instance of Worldworld. Maeve and JesseCaleb are in a chaotic one because they'd never accept the docile one.

So basically, The Matrix?