Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Quixzlizx posted:

So I shutdown and left the laptop off all day while I was working, but the battery level was still stuck at 45% tonight. Although the laptop powered on when I lifted the lid, so I'm suspicious about how shut down it actually got.

Next, I went into the BIOS, plugged in the A/C adapter and checked the battery/power adapter health there, and also turned off "Lift lid to power on," since that sounds more annoying than the 1 second I'd save from having to press the power button.

That didn't solve it, so I then booted into the diagnostics menu and tested my hardware from there, and the battery also passed there. But I noticed that the battery charge was a bit above 45%, so I left the laptop charging while in the diagnostic menu. I waited a couple of hours, and then W11 finally showed 100% once I completed the boot.

Not a great first impression from W11, but I'm glad I figured it out.

I could be completely wrong but I really still wonder if there isn't some proprietary software running with a "battery saver" feature buried somewhere deep down in a menu, and it's currently set to the most aggressive setting; on my MSI, that would be ~50%, but I know that a bunch of other companies have their own equivalents in unintuitive places--and perhaps sitting in diagnostic mode prevents those settings from doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I ended up getting a 2022 G14 and it seems pretty tite so far. Is there a way to edit which profiles the function hotkey switches between? Or an easier way to switch between thermal settings than armoury crate? I'd like to have two manual settings on the list (ultra low power and medium power) but so far I can only change it with the UI manually every time.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Anyone rocking a 10th gen X1 carbon? Trying to decide whether it's worth splurging on the OLED model with probably a 1260 over a much cheaper 9th gen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
the discounted 9th gen is almost certainly a better value however the 12th gen cpu is a much better cpu than the 11th gen and if you want an OLED then it's cheaper to get the 10th gen now then get the 9th gen and want to replace it after a year.

I don't have an OLED yet as a daily use laptop but it sure is tempting.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Is it too early to know things about the next generation of laptop GPUs¿

I don't really even know when they come out for desktops but I'm guessing I'd be looking at 12-18 months depending on the sku/tdp?

Trying to figure out my device upgrade cadence this go around and if I even think desktop PCs are worth it anymore for my needs

I didn't need / buy a gpu this gen but watching the wanton grossness of the pricing and gouging has actually possibly turned me off the hobby entirely (also the high end cards approaching kW PSU needs seems unhealthy to me)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Mostly: It will depend.

I'd guess you'll see the first 4000 series laptop GPUs about 6 or so months after release, but they will mostly be in very high end machines. After 9-12 or so months we might see the first full lines from Legion/Asus when the actual value will be there, but it'll probably be a while after that before there are the price drops and sales that make you jump.

The early power requirements of Nvidia has me concerned about that though, makes me think the laptop line might be Something Different, but I don't know, but I'd say this generation has more likelihood of looking different because of that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lockback posted:

The early power requirements of Nvidia has me concerned about that though, makes me think the laptop line might be Something Different, but I don't know, but I'd say this generation has more likelihood of looking different because of that.

Leaked design of upcoming laptops with 40xx GPUs and appropriately-sized PSUs:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The cooling pad argument will never be the same.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

'Your cooler's a window-type instead of a split!? Pfft.'

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i think i really just would end up with whatevr the next version of the 1650 is or the smallest one that does RTX next gen

does intel still lock voltages on their CPUs too from that vulnerability

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Lockback posted:

the discounted 9th gen is almost certainly a better value however the 12th gen cpu is a much better cpu than the 11th gen and if you want an OLED then it's cheaper to get the 10th gen now then get the 9th gen and want to replace it after a year.

I don't have an OLED yet as a daily use laptop but it sure is tempting.

Thanks for this! What's the verdict on battery life for the 12th? In my limited reading I've seen mixed reports, but it might improve as the scheduler gets better?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't know if there are a lot of tests. I'd assume alder lake was pretty similar to the 11th gen but I'm not surprised she early platforms were bad.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Aware posted:

Thanks for this! What's the verdict on battery life for the 12th? In my limited reading I've seen mixed reports, but it might improve as the scheduler gets better?

Mine has a fairly small 41Wh battery and I get 6-8 hours of moderate use (streaming video, browsing internet) on the low power settings. I don't have an 11th gen to compare that to but it seems... ok?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bike tory posted:

Mine has a fairly small 41Wh battery and I get 6-8 hours of moderate use (streaming video, browsing internet) on the low power settings. I don't have an 11th gen to compare that to but it seems... ok?

That's pretty typical yeah, what I'd expect.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

What is this thing? I’ve never seen a dual display like this. Is it generally useful?

ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 14” FHD Touch Display, Intel Evo Platform, Core i5-1155G7, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, ScreenPad Plus, Windows 10 Home, Wifi 6E, Celestial Blue, UX482EAR-EB51T https://a.co/d/271qB1u

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Been around for a while, seems more gimmick than practical to me. Maybe kind of cool for spreadsheets.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's kinda niche but depending on your workload potentially useful. If you're working with some of the trickier foreign language inputs like Chinese the second display works pretty well as a handwriting input zone, but at worst you can use it as an auxiliary display for chat windows or something.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
When might I be able to buy a ROG Flow x16 with a 3070? Hoping to replace my Thinkpad P1 this year...

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

https://slickdeals.net/f/15865543-thinkpad-p16s-2022-16-qhd-ips-ryzen-7-6850u-32gb-lpddr5-1tb-gen-4-ssd-win11-pro-1367-05-f-s

I don't need a new computer I don't need a new computer I don't need a new computer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's a banger of a deal

For gaming, that GPU is a bit better than a 1050

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
been some very good lenovo thinkpad/yoga deals lately

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I haven't kept up with laptops in a bit but dont the graphics on this sound like something you wouldnt find in a $3000 machine?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Taco Duck posted:

I haven't kept up with laptops in a bit but dont the graphics on this sound like something you wouldnt find in a $3000 machine?

Nah, it's just AMD's latest integrated graphics. But they are Real Good integrated graphics. The best in the biz really. I don't think it will obliterate any low end GTX gpu's, to say nothing of RTX ones, but should give something like the Nvidia MX450 a run for its money.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 26, 2022

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The small number of benchmarks out so far put it slightly behind a MX450 or 1650 mobile/max-Q in games, but for an iGPU to handle AAA 3D games at all is decent. That's a small niche though imo, anyone who wants to play demanding games will probably want a more capable dedicated card, while any of the current or last gen iGPUs handles less demanding games. I think it'll mostly serve professionals who might need like AR stuff for their work, or who do a lot of video processing tasks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That we finally have integrated graphics that meets or exceeds a discrete desktop GTX 1050 on less power is nothing short of astonishing.

Fuckin' took us long enough, but we're finally there.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 26, 2022

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
What's a good dock that would go with that P16s?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Practically any USBC dock really. I've had no issues with Dell docks and Lenovo for example, and some random other brands. Just get one 5hats going to output the number of screens, resolution and refresh rate you want, they're not all the same. I have a '5k' wavlink that will do 2x 1440p at 120hz but also a dell that can only do 2x 1080p60.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I have an external DVD-RW drive for my laptop that is supposed to be bus powered, except it draws far too much power to actually work on my laptop's USB ports. Does anyone make a USB 3 power injector that will let me just run it off a wall wart without backfeeding +5 to the laptop's USB ports?

I can find Y cables that tie the power of both inputs together (it even came with one,) and I can find powered hubs that suffer from the exact same problem as the laptop in that this drive needs more juice than the USB spec allows, so it just chokes and dies if I don't feed the drive additional power from a 2a wall wart via the Y cable.

Oh and I can find USB OTG power injectors that do exactly what I want except for no USB 3 and the wrong connectors on all of it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tatsujin posted:

What's a good dock that would go with that P16s?

Tricky question. "Good docks" are generally Thunderbolt.
A USB-C dongle that has MST DP will work, but a lot of Thunderbolt docks will only work from a Thunderbolt connection.

So I apologise for not answering your question, but please state what your requirements are for the dock!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If I have a Thinkpad with USB-C charging port, I can hook up any random charger to it? Like one of these fancy high-wattage GaN ones? What charging standard does Lenovo use? (--edit: seems to be USB PD?)

The charger I got with it is some barrel type plug that goes into the docking station. IT seems to have lost the original one and is cagey with handing out any spares they have. I can't be assed to tear down the dock the few random times I need to bring the thing home.

My iPad charger seems to work to some degree, so the idea isn't stupid.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 27, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I have a Thinkpad with USB-C charging port, I can hook up any random charger to it? Like one of these fancy high-wattage GaN ones? What charging standard does Lenovo use? (--edit: seems to be USB PD?)

The charger I got with it is some barrel type plug that goes into the docking station. IT seems to have lost the original one and is cagey with handing out any spares they have. I can't be assed to tear down the dock the few random times I need to bring the thing home.

My iPad charger seems to work to some degree, so the idea isn't stupid.

Look it up but it's probably 65watt or 100 watt, so yeah any charger like that will charge it. Cell phone chargers, even 30 watt, may not charge at all or if they do they will be stupid slow. If suggest looking up your model and usb-c first before buying anything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that's sort of the whole point of USB-C PD, use one charger for everything. It's great

As mentioned 65+ watt chargers are The Most compatible, for reasons, but if you turn off your laptop, a lot of times you can get a call phone charger (~18watt) to slooooowly charge your laptop 10-15% overnight. 65 watt will charge the laptop while it's on though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that's sort of the whole point of USB-C PD, use one charger for everything. It's great

As mentioned 65+ watt chargers are The Most compatible, for reasons, but if you turn off your laptop, a lot of times you can get a call phone charger (~18watt) to slooooowly charge your laptop 10-15% overnight. 65 watt will charge the laptop while it's on though

Are there even any reputable 65W GaN chargers on the market? Aukey and RAVpower make them, but I stopped paying them any attention after they got booted from Amazon for review manipulation.

edit: Ah, Anker finally came out with 65W+ models at CES this year.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've got the Anker 65W Nano II and it is great. Charges my Zephyrus G14 while in use on Silent (low power mode). Smaller than any of the other chargers we've got, which are all lower power output.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've ordered an Anker PowerPort III 65W on a hunch. Just marginally more expensive and larger than the Nano II, but has two USB-C PD outputs for more flexibility.

Also, weren't Aukey and Anker basically the same thing?

(--edit: lol why the gently caress does Anker have a multitude of physically different chargers all called PowerPort III.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 27, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sometimes I use my Pinecil soldering iron on the 18W USB-C PD charger. It's neat and can also charge my phone or earbuds or whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anker is #1 in my book, would not hesitate to buy Aukey in an emergency

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got a couple of random brand GaN 65W and 100W chargers from Amazon and they all seem to work fine for a variety of Dell/HP/Lenovo/Apple laptops we have, plus phones and headphones and such.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Got my refurbished Lenovo T480. Although it seemed strange that it doesn't appear to have an internal battery installed (I have not opened it up yet). Apparently this is typical though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who refurbished it? That doesn't seem normal. The only refurbs that I trust are 100% as reliable as new are from Apple.