Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think the squad walking straight through the Templar was a case of "Jake, fix your game", because I recall that that the soldier that gets placed in the lead slot (like the Templar was for this mission) is supposed to do the "squad hold" gesture once you reach the Chosen's sanctum. Which means either the animation broke, or they didn't think you'd place a Templar in that slot and thus didn't give Templars that animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Templars are too cool to do such animations. She showed up ready to throw down and was upset that everyone else decided to have a cutscene.

Also I forgot that the Assassin committed seppuku for the ultimate weeb end.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Shei-kun posted:

Also I forgot that the Assassin committed seppuku for the ultimate weeb end.

"Insecure War Crimes" really was the best name for a mission to finish the Assassin, sums up all the Chosen to be honest.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'll try to remember* to bring up the screens in game in the next video, but like posters have pointed out there are actual info pages on the chosen and what the resistance knew about them prior to the start of the game. The assassin is/was almost certainly a human of Japanese origin 'uplifted' by the Ethereals and turned into, well whatever chosen are. Her and the Hunter most clearly demonstrate they still have tendencies or personality traits remaining from their lives as humans.

The Warlock though, just kinda seems like he was a religious fanatic and replaced a god figure with the Ethereals and is super happy to have living tangible deities in his life.

*hahaha like i have a memory

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Huh, interesting. I thought they were just from a race from a previous planet the Elders had taken over and sucked dry, I didn't realize that they were 'uplifted' humans.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

LashLightning posted:

Huh, interesting. I thought they were just from a race from a previous planet the Elders had taken over and sucked dry, I didn't realize that they were 'uplifted' humans.

Nope. In fact, the Hunter is all but outright stated to be a former Reaper - and one of their best, at that.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

wasn't all of them being former humans also mentioned in the introductory 3chosen1elder cutscene?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't the assassin not move on her turn because you bewildered her with 3+ attacks?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't the assassin not move on her turn because you bewildered her with 3+ attacks?

Bewildered just means after the third attack all future hits on that turn do additional damage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LashLightning posted:

You can dig up their files from the Commander's room and they were all human.

Forget what the Assassin's origin is. Honestly I forget most of her details because they were boring. Basically the Skirmishers happened in part because she got so far up her own rear end she forgot to actually pay attention to her duties and a bunch of ADVENT soldiers fell off the psionic network long enough to break their connection with it and then join up as a unified group. At which point she disappeared even further up her own rear end screaming about duty as she does unpaid overtime trying to fix her mistake.

The Hunter is almost certainly the Best Reaper who was kidnapped by the Elders because he was a latent psionic. The brainwashing and transformation progressed well enough that if they give him a target he'll single-mindedly pursue and kill them. He also tends to just hunt people who tend to annoy the Elders for sport. However he hates the Elders, hates ADVENT and works out his frustration and boredom by also adding any ADVENT who might be a fun challenge to his hunting list, so the Elders are understandably pissed with him.

The Warlock was basically captured as a kid because his psionic powers were that extreme. He has a bunch of...issues as his brainwashing training made him adopt the Elders as something between parent figures and god figures. He runs around murdering other psions (hence the overlap with the Templars) while screaming "DADDY, DO YOU LOVE ME? PLEASE LOVE ME DADDY!" at the creeped out Elders. He's loyal, highly effective and utterly emotionally unstable. Oh and he JUST WON'T SHUT UP. Seriously, I downloaded the "Hush little Chosen" mod for him and him alone.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Can you "farm" the chosen during their stronghold battles for points? Also does running out of stamina do anything for your troops besides extend the amount of time they need to rest?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
If you deploy soldiers that have the Tired status and they come back Shaken from having so little stamina remaining at the end of a mission there is a fair chance they will develop a negative trait, even if they were unharmed in the mission.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think stamina is also your will, right? So really tired soldiers have a higher chance of panicking and getting hit with psi stuff as well.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Alkydere posted:

You can dig up their files from the Commander's room and they were all human.

Okay but if they communicated all this stuff better in the course of gameplay, that would move the Chosen from "boring cartoon villain" to "actually hilarious cartoon villain" real fast for me.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Alkydere posted:

However he hates the Elders, hates ADVENT and works out his frustration and boredom by also adding any ADVENT who might be a fun challenge to his hunting list, so the Elders are understandably pissed with him.

I appreciate that The Hunter still tries to help humanity a little bit with being a psychopath.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FoolyCharged posted:

I think stamina is also your will, right? So really tired soldiers have a higher chance of panicking and getting hit with psi stuff as well.

Yup, your Stamina doubles as your Will stat so as it drains you become more likely to fall victim to Panic, Psi attacks, or come back with "Terrified of Chosen" on a mission where the Warlock got pimpslapped by a zombie.

Donkringel posted:

I appreciate that The Hunter still tries to help humanity a little bit with being a psychopath.

The Hunter is the best. Like you could almost feel like if you caught a moment with him you could share a drink and he'd be good company. Of course the fact that you know of his existence now puts you on his poo poo-list, but he'll be nice enough to warn you about this fact and put you near the bottom. Then probably pick up the tab in return for letting him just bitch for hours about how far up their own asses his co-workers (the other Chosen) and the Elders are.

Also his lines are a lot more fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

You always have to admire a fellow that takes joy in their work

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Seriously I could totally see him ranting on and on:

"And then they want me to kill this officer for basically offloading his work onto another department. The thing is? The units he gave his work to were better suited for the tasks! He figured out how to do it so that there was a noticed 18% increase in productivity and 23% chance in unit morale for both his units and the units he collaborated with! But no" clears throat to do a mock Elder voice "We can't have our drones showing initiative, it means they might turn against us. And it shows off we're incompetent jackasses!" Clears throat again and goes back to his normal voice. "And I'm like, you keep telling me to stop hunting our own troops, why the gently caress should I kill this one for you? I mean besides the fact you'll turn my brain to soup if I don't. He's an ADVENT officer. Just recall him, no explanation, and grind him down to ADVENT soup like you do every time someone forgets how to lace their boots! You don't need this stupid 'plausible deniability' bullshit! You're the Elders, they're ADVENT, they're literally your disposable pawns!"

"...anyways, you got any more of that good stuff?"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alkydere posted:

Seriously I could totally see him ranting on and on:

"And then they want me to kill this officer for basically offloading his work onto another department. The thing is? The units he gave his work to were better suited for the tasks! He figured out how to do it so that there was a noticed 18% increase in productivity and 23% chance in unit morale for both his units and the units he collaborated with! But no" clears throat to do a mock Elder voice "We can't have our drones showing initiative, it means they might turn against us. And it shows off we're incompetent jackasses!" Clears throat again and goes back to his normal voice. "And I'm like, you keep telling me to stop hunting our own troops, why the gently caress should I kill this one for you? I mean besides the fact you'll turn my brain to soup if I don't. He's an ADVENT officer. Just recall him, no explanation, and grind him down to ADVENT soup like you do every time someone forgets how to lace their boots! You don't need this stupid 'plausible deniability' bullshit! You're the Elders, they're ADVENT, they're literally your disposable pawns!"

Sir this is an ADVENT Burger drive thru

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Banish might not have worked on the pillar but overdrive sure does and it is because of that I always send a spark on any chosen stronghold mission.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Hunt11 posted:

Banish might not have worked on the pillar but overdrive sure does and it is because of that I always send a spark on any chosen stronghold mission.

:getin: Seems we finally found a giant robotic crab.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: you know how Deadeye gives a 50% damage boost in exchange for a 25% accuracy loss?

You know how objects like destructible Objectives and the Sarcophagus are considered "Objects" and you just automatically hit them?

Turns out, if you Deadeye the Sarcophagus... it can miss.

If you'll forgive a quick link to a clip from someone else's twitch as proof, the run was modded, but Deadeye is still Deadeye:

https://clips.twitch.tv/TolerantFrailPelicanStoneLightning

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Worth noting: you know how Deadeye gives a 50% damage boost in exchange for a 25% accuracy loss?

You know how objects like destructible Objectives and the Sarcophagus are considered "Objects" and you just automatically hit them?

Turns out, if you Deadeye the Sarcophagus... it can miss.

If you'll forgive a quick link to a clip from someone else's twitch as proof, the run was modded, but Deadeye is still Deadeye:

https://clips.twitch.tv/TolerantFrailPelicanStoneLightning

This applies to every skill with a shot accuracy penalty, so rapid fire and chain shot can also wiff a static target.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

So this should be the right video here. My recordings were lost to the sands of time... Or twitch deleting VoDs after two weeks and me loving up and forgetting to save them myself. Thankfully stream viewer Drane made backups and shared them with me so the original recordings are saved.

However I did oddly find myself in the same place and time with Guava Moment again and we may have recorded the same footage again? I dunno, time loops are funny. We'll see what happens here.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm mad now because sneaking past the patrols was super annoying and Jade just waltzes past them.

Also: the DLC is structured as the exact inverse of the Nomai/Hearthians: instead of optimism, it's pessimism. Instead of growth, it's stagnation. Instead of magnanimity in the face of adversity, it's retreat and hatred. The end of the universe is to be desperately avoided, the denial of the inevitable, not the fantastical possibility that you can be part of something new and greater. If you approached the unknown with fear and regret instead of hope and acceptance, you end up in a stagnant place replaying your gloried past which seems pleasant but is ultimately not life. And of course, when you lash out that way you also hurt others. There's a completely unsubtle message about what the right way to to handle tragedy is.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I dunno man, I kinda like the idea of existing in the internet for 300k years as opposed to dying.

I would miss Root Beer though.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Oh sure, the Elktrix is obviously not the only version of what amounts to an afterlife, there are lots of transhumanist visions of a perpetual existence, and if you take certain facts to a logical end, what's the difference between your life and a brain in a vat fed highly detailed stimuli? But the version in the game is a philosophical placeholder for someone who essentially drinks by day and stares at an old photo album by night. They've even taken to watching the same movies over and over again inside their unchanging simulated world, being stagnant even as their bodies die and everything inside the Stranger falls apart. Their attempt to escape is doomed ultimately because most will get permanently unplugged when the dam breaks, and the rest will wind down with the universe, presumably.

There's a special ending if you steal the core from the Ash Twin Project, then die to enter the Elktrix and wait out the supernova. It makes clear what the dev's feelings on the matter are.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wow that was a very fast run of a Chosen stronghold. I almost always ran into all of the enemy pods in the first section during all three, and usually ended up fighting way more reinforcements during the final section.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I finally get some time to scan on the world map, rest my team up a bit, and spend the huge stockpile of supplies I have accumulated on many upgrades for the soldiers. I even build a laboratory just for the fun of it! So strap in, get a snack, and please enjoy this totally normal episode of the LP where I don't try to trick Guava into not knowing whats coming with some editing. It almost works!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

"That sounds wrong" was correct on the statistics estimation...

:siren: NERD ALERT: if probability of failure for one randomly-chosen [80% success] event is 0.2 = 20%, then p(fail) for two independent 80% tests is 0.2*0.2 = 4%

0.8*0.2 = two separate 16% outcomes where one succeeds and the other fails for combined 32%

0.8*0.8 = 64% chance both succeed

...but according to the "Law of Truly Large Numbers" if you do a whole lot of tests and disregard those that don't matter, that 4% chance is guaranteed to happen eventually

edit: okay ctrl+enter instantly submits the post, good to know. Was going to mention that this all assumes your simulation does not get JAAAKE'd :xcom:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah i did my statistics backwards in my head during the video. It's hard to do math and commentary at the same time.

Since i play bloodbowl I like to know the odds of things when they come up and screw me over. I can't remember statistics in school so I have my own way in my head which is probably the less mathematically notated way that you described. I just kinda in my head say if I take this shot 100 times, 80 of them will hit. I'm left with 20 occurrences where I missed the first one. Out of those 20 times 80% of them should hit, so I'm left with 4. which I guess is just the 0.2x0.2 you gave, just done in word form in my head.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bradford reminds Jade that he has nothing on in the Covert ring.

Jade proceeds to leave the ring idle

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade wonders why the Ring isn't active.

Typical Jade things.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Haven't gotten a chance to watch yet, but drat is that a good mission name.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Jade Star posted:

Yeah i did my statistics backwards in my head during the video. It's hard to do math and commentary at the same time.

Since i play bloodbowl I like to know the odds of things when they come up and screw me over. I can't remember statistics in school so I have my own way in my head which is probably the less mathematically notated way that you described. I just kinda in my head say if I take this shot 100 times, 80 of them will hit. I'm left with 20 occurrences where I missed the first one. Out of those 20 times 80% of them should hit, so I'm left with 4. which I guess is just the 0.2x0.2 you gave, just done in word form in my head.

I forget what the word for it is, but you can absolutely accurately calculate probabilities that way. It's fine for short probabilities, but for more complex interactions it can get involved. In school as an example we had an even longer form, involving writing out every possible combination of results, but it lets you do physical demonstrations. It's a bit hard to describe, but basically...

Imagine a 10x10 grid of squares. The rows represent the chance of the first shot hitting (divided into 10% increments), the columns represent the chance of the second shot hitting. Mark each square in the first 8 rows with a "/", then mark the first 8 columns with a "\". Now your 10x10 grid consists of a 8x8 grid of "X"s (64/100), a 2x8 grid of "/"s (16/100), a 2x8 grid of "\"s (16/100), and a 2x2 grid of blanks (4/100), all within the original 10x10 grid.

Certainly, there are faster ways to get the probability of specific combinations of events, but you can ultimately think of those as shortcuts to "compare all possible combinations and count".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It can be fun (if you like that sort of thing) to figure out equations for all those methods and see how it all cancels out to the same answer each time. Mostly it's picking whichever method you can do without losing track. Olesh's method for example works very well if you have multiple outcomes (say you can pick a ball that's red, black, white, yellow or blue with different probabilities of each, you pick twice with replacement), you can look at each bit of the grid where colors overlap and know you haven't forgotten one or have to remember if something needs to be counted twice. Or you work through it with the "proper" method because that abstracts out more easily if you start picking five times instead of needing to imagine a 5-dimensional cube.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 27, 2022

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Veloxyll posted:

Bradford reminds Jade that he has nothing on in the Covert ring.

Jade proceeds to leave the ring idle

I needed a specialist of rank Major or higher!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jade Star posted:

I needed a specialist of rank Major or higher!

Base ordinances are very clear: do not violate naptime.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Jade ever makes a PO box or something I can send at least two different kinds of Root Beer he can't get basically anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
PO box? pfft, for rootbeer i'll give you my home address.