Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah if it were me I would spend the money on a nicer bass/trout rod then get the cheapest catfishing broomstick at Walmart. It’s not like the catfish rod needs to do anything besides ‘not break’.

Wore the paint off a mini Rat L Trap on a local river today. It’s one of the lures I wanted to gain confidence with this year and it’s becoming one of my favorites. Managed to pull in 3 bass & 3 nice bluegills with really pretty coloring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Thanks y'all, this was helpful and made me realize I know even less than the very little I think I know lol. What I really need is some fishing pals so I can use their rods and get a feel for them, but barring that I think I'll hit up Bass Pro and give some a whirl, see what feels good in the hand, etc.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Otoh i have probably a dozen different rods that are set up for various specific uses but 9 out of 10 times I'm just using a 6'5" medium cherrywood hd that i got at Walmart for $25 and it's ok enough for panfish, bass, and smaller trout. Maybe a tiny step up from an ugly stick in terms of tip sensitivity.

I've been fishing on and off since the early 80's and a nice rod with, like, actual sensitivity would probably still be completely wasted on me.

I'm perfectly happy to just hoss 'em out with a broomstick, one all-around rod for pretty much anything.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

That feeling when you find out the guy from Digital Photography Review is also a guide and has been publishing fly fishing videos for years :aaaaa:

https://youtu.be/hHN-iZpBTa4

I disagree with him on the rigging suggestion though. Unless I have no idea what type of water I’m going to be fishing I prefer to rig at the car, lest I spook a bunch of fish near the bank while faffing about with tackle.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

waffle enthusiast posted:

That feeling when you find out the guy from Digital Photography Review is also a guide and has been publishing fly fishing videos for years :aaaaa:

https://youtu.be/hHN-iZpBTa4

I disagree with him on the rigging suggestion though. Unless I have no idea what type of water I’m going to be fishing I prefer to rig at the car, lest I spook a bunch of fish near the bank while faffing about with tackle.
I 100% disagree with you. Rigging up at the stream forces you to stop and pay attention to what's happening on the water. The biggest enemy to the trout fisherman is rigidity of mind. And their biggest asset is observation skills.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I love it when a parcel from China arrives

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

gay picnic defence posted:

Link please, for the shirt and the dick lures.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Syano posted:

May need to post this in kayak thread but figured I'd start here. I am looking to add a motor to my boat and have it narrowed down to a Motorguide Xi3 and a Torqeedo 1103 ac. Obvious advantage to the Motorguide is price and ability to spot lock on fishing spots. Obvious advantage to the Torqeedo is overall package weight and speed speed speed. Anyone have any opinions between the two setups?

Ended up putting the Motoguide on the boat just FYI, with a 60ah battery. Only taken it out a couple times but so far it is so dadgum nice

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Syano posted:

Ended up putting the Motoguide on the boat just FYI, with a 60ah battery. Only taken it out a couple times but so far it is so dadgum nice

Spot lock over everything. Getting to the spot faster is nice, but being able to fish a spot better once your there was the better move. Congrats.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Sickening posted:

Spot lock over everything. Getting to the spot faster is nice, but being able to fish a spot better once your there was the better move. Congrats.

Its such a game changing feature. It literally opens up vast portions of the lake that otherwise would be unfishable due to wind or current. The speed turned out not being much of an issue. The motorguide can push me at just around 4.9 mph on smooth water. In case youve never gone 5mph in a kayak, its fast. Almost comically fast.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gay picnic defence posted:

Remember, if you catch a fish on a dickspoon and post a picture in the discord channel for such things, you get your discord name in a special VIP color.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I need that shirt

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I spent the weekend at a private campground with a 20-acre lake and had a blast. A few thoughts:

1. Hipcamp is *awesome* for this kind of thing and I can't recommend it highly enough. Most of the sites on the... site are dispersed/primitive, in my experience, but as long as you're ok roughing it, it's a waaay better experience than public campsites and waterways.

2. Fluorocarbon line is cool except for the fact that it apparently tangles on every third cast. I'm about as much of a novice fisherman as anyone can be, but I literally never had that problem using monofilament.

3. Fishing off a paddleboard rules, and it was hilarious getting dragged around by a 2-pound catfish. I can't imagine what it would look like to actually hook something big while you're on one.

4. Having tried out a number of different setups, it seems like a Texas rig with a wacky-rigged black Senko worm is my official good-luck charm for largemouth bass. I swear they like that more than live bait, it's wild.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nestharken posted:

4. Having tried out a number of different setups, it seems like a Texas rig with a wacky-rigged black Senko worm is my official good-luck charm for largemouth bass. I swear they like that more than live bait, it's wild.

Texas rigging is simple and it loving works for bass. Add in being mostly weedless, and it's definitely my go-to.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Wacky rig send worms are a cheat code for smallmouth also. Sounds like you had a blast

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Man I am trying and trying to make a chatterbait work for me but it's just not clicking. There's lots of wood, laydowns and small dead branches in all the water near me. Where there isn't wood there's thick grass with thicker algae. Fishing slow and close to the bottom leads to way more snags than the other lures I use. I have yet to find a lure that will come through the grass with coating itself in algae. Putting a fat, flat trailer on helps a bit with the snags but I feel that type of plastic doesn't work as well (for me) as a swimbait type. Keeping it up above the wood/grass feels like too-fast of a retrieve for the hot lazy fish around here. Hangups aside, I also just don't feel like I get the bites on the CB that I do on spinnerbaits/crankbaits. I'll keep trying, if only because the fish I have caught on the CB were on the larger size of what I get, but it feels like I'm just not quite getting some important detail.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

A chatterbait is just one of the worst snagging baits in existence. I find that a texas rig or a fluke is what I would use in that kind of condition.

Technically they make chatterbaits with weed guards, but they are kind of poo poo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fishing thread, what the EZ mode rig for river fishing for trout with artificial lures? Texas rig?

I’m taking some folks who won’t be fly fishing and have no idea what to rig but it’s gotta be basic and easy to fish.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fishing thread, what the EZ mode rig for river fishing for trout with artificial lures? Texas rig?

I’m taking some folks who won’t be fly fishing and have no idea what to rig but it’s gotta be basic and easy to fish.

Inline spinners work and is about as the easiest thing to fish ever. I have no idea what other people's expectations are when it comes to these, but I have found only this brand work consistantly (blades always spin, quality control, etc) https://www.yakimabait.com/products/original-rooster-tail/

You can also Carolina rig a very small hook and use worms or dough. When I say small, I say a small as you can find them.

Richard gene is a national treasure and he can break it down for you pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgiL_vSJi0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0yQtehfDA

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Depending on what the area and their skill are like, spinners might be frustrating but they are real easy.

The only river fish I ever caught were on a Carolina rig with a bread ball fwiw

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rapala floating or shallow dive rainbow trout pattern 2 inch.

I did super good with them on the Madison river in Montana.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

echoing spinner. i am a river fisherman 95% of the time and spinners are amazing for trout and bass as well

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

echoing spinner. i am a river fisherman 95% of the time and spinners are amazing for trout and bass as well

I feel like a trout that is hungry and hasn't seen a bait before/often will eat a spinner right away. IN areas of high pressure, dough and worms seem to do the job infinitely better. So having those two strategies available to you will get you to the finish line.

But if you aren't an avid fisherman, throwing an inline spinner is easy and effective if the fish are hungry. The dough and worms requires a little more effort but almost always catches fish.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

What kind of river are we talking?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ihop posted:

Man I am trying and trying to make a chatterbait work for me but it's just not clicking. There's lots of wood, laydowns and small dead branches in all the water near me. Where there isn't wood there's thick grass with thicker algae. Fishing slow and close to the bottom leads to way more snags than the other lures I use. I have yet to find a lure that will come through the grass with coating itself in algae. Putting a fat, flat trailer on helps a bit with the snags but I feel that type of plastic doesn't work as well (for me) as a swimbait type. Keeping it up above the wood/grass feels like too-fast of a retrieve for the hot lazy fish around here. Hangups aside, I also just don't feel like I get the bites on the CB that I do on spinnerbaits/crankbaits. I'll keep trying, if only because the fish I have caught on the CB were on the larger size of what I get, but it feels like I'm just not quite getting some important detail.

I have little confidence in spinnerbaits and crankbaits, but the chatterbait works well for me. I use green pumpkin and bream types of colors. Blade color seems important, or at least I've convinced myself that it is. I've had some of my best luck with a Rage Menace trailer to imitate a crawfish. Lots of pauses/pops in the retrieve, especially after encountering some grass. They don't come through algae well and I don't fish them around laydowns a lot.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Man I can't make a chatterbait not roll on me when Im around wood. For me, its not a choice in wood/laydowns. I prefer it through grass and other structure. For wood I usually go with a weedless underspin

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

What kind of river are we talking?

Smaller water. South Platte. This is C&R water so I probably won’t be using anything with a treble hook. Sounds like maybe using a slip bobber with artificial bait could be one option.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I always recommend little mepps (or Walmart knockoff) spoons for that kind of thing.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Smaller water. South Platte. This is C&R water so I probably won’t be using anything with a treble hook. Sounds like maybe using a slip bobber with artificial bait could be one option.

South platte sees decent fishing pressure. Small spinners work, as do smaller rapalas. Swap to barbless singles though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I never understand C&R areas for trout. They are such fragile fish. The mortality rate for released fish has to be super high even under the best of conditions.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Easychair Bootson posted:

I have little confidence in spinnerbaits and crankbaits, but the chatterbait works well for me. I use green pumpkin and bream types of colors. Blade color seems important, or at least I've convinced myself that it is. I've had some of my best luck with a Rage Menace trailer to imitate a crawfish. Lots of pauses/pops in the retrieve, especially after encountering some grass. They don't come through algae well and I don't fish them around laydowns a lot.

Checking back in to say that I lost what might have been a personal best largemouth bass today on a chatterbait. Guess I didn't get a good enough initial hookset because I had him pinned then he jumped and welp

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've found that bouncing chatterbaits off rocks dulls their hooks especially bad, I make sure to check mine often and keep a small file handy to sharpen.

It bothers me that green pumpkin is the most productive color for me when it is by far the most boring-looking. I don't even understand how fish can see it, it looks more the color of the grody bottom and the muddy stained water than any bait animal I've seen.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So recently I have gotten obsessed with saltwater fly fishing. I really want to get a 10wt rod and reel but it’s hard to justify when I will probably not use it that often. But maybe I will make an effort to get down to the ocean more often. I can justify spending money on my normal rod and reel that I use all the time. But even a cheap 10wt outfit is probably 400.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Saltwater fly fishing is dope as hell and you should absolutely buy a rig because you’re worth it!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crab season started strong. Got 24 nice big reds over the short two day a week season.

I still cant believe they haven't separated out Dungeness and red rock season. The excuse that people cant tell the difference between them is lame when we have coho, king and steelhead runs.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Valt posted:

So recently I have gotten obsessed with saltwater fly fishing. I really want to get a 10wt rod and reel but it’s hard to justify when I will probably not use it that often. But maybe I will make an effort to get down to the ocean more often. I can justify spending money on my normal rod and reel that I use all the time. But even a cheap 10wt outfit is probably 400.

Not that expensive. If you have a nice large arbor with a spool that supports it, go lighter with an 8wt rod and swap spools.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Valt posted:

Try to find a used kit. You can get used fly setups for pennies on the dollar.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 6, 2022

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Dik Hz posted:

Try to find a used kit. You can get used fly setups for pennies on the dollar.

Oh I have been looking but finding a used rod that isn't a cabellas rod or something like that is difficult at best. I see orvis and sage rods for 200 or so, but thats without a reel.

I was looking at 10 weights since I'm interested in fishing for tarpon and the recommended rod sizes for that is generally between 10 and 12. They also recommend a decent reel since those fish actually run. TFO sells a combo for 250 but it only comes in an 8wt, same for orvis clearwater it only comes in the combo as a 8wt. However you can buy a 10wt clearwater rod.

The spool idea is a good one, but my clearwater reel is a II so it only supports line sizes up to 6wt. I would probably just go with the TFO NTR reel as it goes up to 10wt. Though I'm going to continue to cruise facebook and craigslist for used stuff since I bet someone will be selling a complete 10wt setup at some point.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Valt posted:

Oh I have been looking but finding a used rod that isn't a cabellas rod or something like that is difficult at best. I see orvis and sage rods for 200 or so, but thats without a reel.

I was looking at 10 weights since I'm interested in fishing for tarpon and the recommended rod sizes for that is generally between 10 and 12. They also recommend a decent reel since those fish actually run. TFO sells a combo for 250 but it only comes in an 8wt, same for orvis clearwater it only comes in the combo as a 8wt. However you can buy a 10wt clearwater rod.

The spool idea is a good one, but my clearwater reel is a II so it only supports line sizes up to 6wt. I would probably just go with the TFO NTR reel as it goes up to 10wt. Though I'm going to continue to cruise facebook and craigslist for used stuff since I bet someone will be selling a complete 10wt setup at some point.

The Orvis store near me will give you the combo price on any weight rod/reel. They only had 5wt combos in stock but put together an 8wt for me for 20 bucks more (large arbor reel w/ 8wt was a little pricier). The only thing I didn’t get was the bag that lets you keep the reel attached. I got a rod case and a pullstring sack for the reel.

They swapped out the Clearwater line(MSRP $49) for Pro Power Taper Textured (MSRP $129) for an extra $50. So Clearwater 8wt 9ft combo retails for $419. I paid $479 for all the stuff with the better line.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Hekk posted:

The Orvis store near me will give you the combo price on any weight rod/reel. They only had 5wt combos in stock but put together an 8wt for me for 20 bucks more (large arbor reel w/ 8wt was a little pricier). The only thing I didn’t get was the bag that lets you keep the reel attached. I got a rod case and a pullstring sack for the reel.

I think the issue there is that the clearwater reel does not come in 10wt sizes. The biggest one only supports 9wt line. But I will ask them and see what they say. Maybe underlining the rod by 1 weight isn't a big deal. but at that point I could just go buy a reel that supports bigger line.

I'm sort of leaning towards the echo boost blue.

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/boost-blue/

With a TFO reel

https://tforods.com/product/ntr-fly-reels/

My everyday rod that I use is a echo river glass 3 wt and I have really liked that rod a lot. I've also been seeing guides recommending the rio tarpon line quite often. Plus I will need flies and another fly box since I don't have any saltwater stuff. I'm also going to have to try and learn how to double haul. I generally single haul when I'm casting normally but I don't haul on the back cast as it messes with my rhythm. But when you are on the ocean and having to fight wind you really need that line speed.