Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is there a particular point where there's a significant content drought? I remember there was always a list of must buy adventure stuff, but I know they rolled a bunch of stuff up into the bar game relatively recently or something.

I haven't played this game in well over a decade, but I still fondly remember buying a boxed copy at best buy when it first launched. Glad to see so much love for it in the modern age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

NeurosisHead posted:

Is there a particular point where there's a significant content drought?

Can't speak to how it was pre-Hobbit rush, but no, definitely no content drought. If you do all the questing, you'll be massively over leveled.

You could probably level 3 characters and give them *mostly* unique paths through the world.

There was a period where they didn't raise the level cap for a good while though, so maybe that's what you're thinking about? Content kept coming out in that time though.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Ten years ago there was a little bit of a content drought around level 40 but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

AskYourself posted:

Ten years ago there was a little bit of a content drought around level 40 but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

Yeah, there's zero chance of that. In fact multiple areas overlap, levelwise.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

They added at least one 40+ zone. Angle is 40+, I think the Wildwoods by Bree is too?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Cutedge posted:

They added at least one 40+ zone. Angle is 40+, I think the Wildwoods by Bree is too?

Wildwoods was added specifically to hit what was a bit thin contentwise 40-50. Prior to that you had to juggle Misty Mountains, Angmar, Forochel, and Eregion, all of which had somewhat different level bands.

With Wildwoods and Angle you could coast from Evendim/Trollshaws to Angle to Wildwoods and then maybe a bit of Eregion before jumping into Moria.

Now if SSG could just fix Rohan...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's looking like the next zone is going to be west of Enedwaith, so good chance that will be something in the 40-60 range too.

Moria is one of the, if not the, best areas in the game, but I also know people would like some different options for 50-60 on later characters. Although if you do all the zones prior, you're likely to be 55 and probably just need to do 1 or 2 Moria zones, to be able to start a 60 zone.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
I haven't played too much of this game yet, but I cannot decide on a class to level. Runekeeper and lore master look like I'd enjoy them, maybe beorning?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Opiumden34 posted:

I haven't played too much of this game yet, but I cannot decide on a class to level. Runekeeper and lore master look like I'd enjoy them, maybe beorning?

Don’t think you can go wrong with any of those. It takes like 2 days to level to 20, try em all out and see how it goes and which you enjoy

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
My personal ordered pref is runekeeper, bear, lm, but they're all awesome. The RK is versatile but squishy, the bear is versatile and not squishy, and the lm is just janky pet fun with some fun class quests attached. Lm got some buffs recently, but the bear is definitely the easiest to solo the whole game with.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I love my lore master deeply but it is insane how easy content feels on my hunter by comparison. I’m taking him through Mordor now and just dunking on signature mobs nonstop with no risk of dying.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah, I've tried to play other classes many times but the sheer convenience of Hunter between run speed bonus and infinite fast travel is just too good to give up.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

jalapeno_dude posted:

Yeah, I've tried to play other classes many times but the sheer convenience of Hunter between run speed bonus and infinite fast travel is just too good to give up.

Yup. Add blue line spec so you don't lose focus while travelling, then you can just immediately dismount and dump 2-3 focus abilities into the face of whichever bear you need asses from, focus, mount up, repeat.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Next patch makes PvMP available to all, not just VIP

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?695075-Bullroarer-Update-33-1-Beta-1-OPEN

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wow, I bet they'll both be happy about that change!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

How are Yellow Wardens nowadays?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I decided to indulge my nostalgia and install LOTRO, and even managed to recover my old Turbine account from 2007, not that it matters. I forgot how slow getting around is. I do love the feel of adventuring, with quest givers sort of scattered about instead of standing carefully clustered for easy quest gathering so I have a reason to wander around town and check things out. It does make it feel kind of dated to play, but that's kind of what I'm in the mood for and it's nice.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

I decided to indulge my nostalgia and install LOTRO, and even managed to recover my old Turbine account from 2007, not that it matters. I forgot how slow getting around is. I do love the feel of adventuring, with quest givers sort of scattered about instead of standing carefully clustered for easy quest gathering so I have a reason to wander around town and check things out. It does make it feel kind of dated to play, but that's kind of what I'm in the mood for and it's nice.

Yeah it's pretty great how the world feels like it has a size.

Once you end up exhausted by that feeling, like on a second character, play a warden or hunter and maybe drop $.10 for a mithril coin now and again to port to the intro quest givers to touch the horses. At this point I refuse to run through forochel and it's the only thing I can easily justify coins for. Saves like thirty minutes sometimes.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Mormon Star Wars posted:

How are Yellow Wardens nowadays?

Theyre rock solid. They do a bit less damage than Red Wardens but pull ahead on bosses with high mitigation and are less vulnerable to RNG of bleed procs. Also they have snazzy AoE debuffs.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

That thread has a lot of people complaining about not being able to quest and farm in raid groups, and I'm kind of surprised that was ever a thing. Not being able to do quests in raid groups is pretty standard with every single MMO on the market. Weird.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 7, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's really weird to have raid-tier roving threats and then remove the ability to progress those as a raid (for any groups actually killing them).

Really it's just weird to remove stuff like open tapping in raids. I wonder if it's to fix some weird bug they discovered and decided this is better than leaving it as-is.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

extra stout posted:

I'll update the officer list with whoever is logging in again most often this week.
You should probably handle this soon. I left the kin ages ago and my main is still on the list.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have dabbled with this game a few times since launch. I think what wore me down was inventory management (especially if like me you want to craft) and the character graphics, which I thought were sub-par even when the game was new.

I think my last new character was farming, for... dye? Tobacco? I can't remember but recall that I enjoyed hanging around the Shire sowing and reaping and blowing funny shape smoke rings.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cutedge posted:

That thread has a lot of people complaining about not being able to quest and farm in raid groups, and I'm kind of surprised that was ever a thing. Not being able to do quests in raid groups is pretty standard with every single MMO on the market. Weird.

wait, which other mmo on the market doesn't let you get quest kill credits or click on quest npcs just because you're in a raid group? that just sounds incredibly stupid

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Truga posted:

wait, which other mmo on the market doesn't let you get quest kill credits or click on quest npcs just because you're in a raid group? that just sounds incredibly stupid

WoW doesn't allow this unless they are specifically raid quests.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I have dabbled with this game a few times since launch. I think what wore me down was inventory management (especially if like me you want to craft) and the character graphics, which I thought were sub-par even when the game was new.

I think my last new character was farming, for... dye? Tobacco? I can't remember but recall that I enjoyed hanging around the Shire sowing and reaping and blowing funny shape smoke rings.

all content up to level 95 is free, if you haven't played in a few years, would definitely recommend trying it out again. I've been enjoying my last few months playing since coming back.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

If you have dollars or are willing to LP farm our VIP for a while they made carry-alls that really improve the inventory experience. Sounds like you play the game like I do lol. I just got to max rep with the cooking guild and now don't know what to do with myself.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The lag is so bad in LotRO right now I unsubscribed and I honestly can't recommend it. It varies from 'annoying' to 'unplayable' at random.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

OhFunny posted:

WoW doesn't allow this unless they are specifically raid quests.

same with FFXIV I think. I thought this was pretty standard but maybe I'm just thinking of wow.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I tried to play the game and each time after the initial log in screen it goes to black and sits there. I read a few posts about switching graphic modes but that didn't help. Better luck next time I guess!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

"uh, so did anyone test to make sure that the change not be able to get loot or quest credit didn't affect quests for raids themselves?"

Cordovon (Standing Stone Games) posted:

We will be reverting the change to restrict raid groups on landscapes in a game update later this week.

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8150017#post8150017

womp womp

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Lmao. I really want to know why someone thought that was something that needed fixing.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

https://massivelyop.com/2022/08/05/middle-earth-enterprises-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-lotro-rogue-server-project/

oh no. anyway

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's always fun being made aware there was a private server in the works on the same day they are served a c&d.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

with how valuable the lotr license is right now that seemed inevitable.

also why do they want to play vanilla? i know nostalgia is a factor but isn't the story the main draw and that poo poo sure hasn't changed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Same reason progression servers are popular on several old MMOs, I guess.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I'd argue that the class build options were more interesting before the change to the WoW style talent trees, the game as a whole got way easier once they massively increased player power with the talent trees. So could see some people wanting to go back to that era, the launch era of Moria is probably my favorite overall mmo experience so I'd almost be tempted to try a private Moria server if it existed.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I would like to have seen The Rift at its original difficulty level.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Brave New World posted:

I would like to have seen The Rift at its original difficulty level.
I can assure you it was unpleasant :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Most people don't want to play vanilla because it's better or anything. They do it for the same reason I play Super Mario RPG all the drat time: to relive that nostalgia from an earlier time.