Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Homocow posted:

starting to think warren buffet is a ferengi

Starting to think that the Ferengi were an overly sympathetic portrayal of unrestrained capitalism.

...Or a weirdly anti-Semitic caricature, their characterisation was pretty gnarly in S1 TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Starting to think that the Ferengi were an overly sympathetic portrayal of unrestrained capitalism.

...Or a weirdly anti-Semitic caricature, their characterisation was pretty gnarly in S1 TNG

Started with the latter, quickly became the former, I always got the impression that they were a stand-in for our own times in the far future it's set in

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the electrowhip of the invisible hand

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I read an interview somewhere once that in TNG the ferengi were originally going to be the main antagonists but after one episode featuring them the writers were like "no these guys are far too goofy" so they came up with the borg instead

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mandolins is big business

quote:

Report Overview

The global household slicer market size was valued at USD 308.6 million in 2019 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.5% from 2020 to 2027. The increasing preference for food slicers due to the rise in the importance of food consumption and booming food bloggers is anticipated to fuel the growth of the market. Home-based food slicers are gaining increasing popularity as they reduce the time required to cut various types of foods compared to traditional tools, such as household slicer. Growing preference for efficient kitchen tools across the residential sector is pumping up the demand for household slicers. The adoption and introduction of foreign and new cuisines and the growing trend of finger foods are likely to propel the demand for specialized tools.

Demand for household slicers across all regions is expected to continue growing on account of the growing base of affluent consumers and middle-class income groups, increasing the working population, and improving consumer lifestyle, which eventually results in the use of these tools. Young consumers who contribute majorly to the workforce population, people in western countries who are more inclined towards hosting dinner gatherings and backyard cooking during festive seasons are likely to accelerate the demand for such tools.

During the initial panic buying phase, consumers raced to stock up on toilet paper, frozen foods, disinfectant wipes, cleaning supplies, and other household necessities. In the weeks and months that followed, they turned their attention to appliances that aid in cooking, health, and wellness. With restaurants shut and food delivery considered unsafe due to coronavirus, an increasing number of consumers have begun cooking at home. This need-turned-trend of home-cooked food has augured well for the sale of kitchen household slicers among other kitchen utensils and cookware.

Product Insights

Manual slicers held the largest share of 73.6% in 2019. The increasing availability of products at a varied range of prices has been a major factor driving the segment. These products offer high accuracy, better control, and clean slicing of food products, such as vegetables and fruits. The growing interest in cooking shows, particularly among the younger generation, drives the demand for plain slicers so that they are well-equipped to cook at home. For instance, Hell’s Kitchen, Chopped, MasterChef, Top Chef Masters, and other cooking shows programmed on TV attract a lot of consumers and indirectly encourage them to opt for cooking on a regular basis and also persuade them to purchase good quality household slicers.

The automatic slicers are expected to register the fastest CAGR of 6.4% from 2020 to 2027. Economic development and the growing tourism industry are likely to augment the demand for automatic household slicers. A total of 1,500 new hotel construction projects in Europe were in pipeline, wherein by 2019, around 270 new hotels and resorts opened, having more than 38,000 new rooms. This is expected to have a positive impact on the segment growth as the hospitality sector focusses on providing more luxurious bedding sets in order to provide the utmost comfort and warmth.

Distribution Channel Insights

The offline channel of distribution led the market and accounted for a share of 85.4% in 2019. Increased prominence of retail store channels as they facilitate the consumers to have a first-hand look at the products, which helps in the easy inspection of the quality and specifications, is expected to boost the growth of the channel. The availability of a wide range of products offered by different brands and the ability to compare the prices and product attributes are some of the factors that are expected to have a positive impact on the segment growth. In addition, discounted prices and budget-friendly offers provided by retailers drive more customer footfall in these stores. Moreover, the availability of varied quality household slicers at a cheaper rate offered by local manufacturers is likely to attract a greater number of customers to supermarkets and hypermarkets. Strong localized positioning and increased focus on customer needs and experience are the major factors that are expected to foster the growth of this distribution channel segment.

The online distribution channel is expected to witness the fastest growth during forecast years with a CAGR of 6.8% from 2020 to 2027. Increasing internet penetration among the middle-class population, along with the rising use of smartphones and similar devices, is among the key reasons behind the growing popularity of online retail channels. Consumers are rapidly shifting towards the online mode of purchasing with the rise of e-commerce giants, such as Amazon, Alibaba, eBay, and JD.com. Observing this drastic shift in consumer preference from offline to online, several kitchen knife manufacturers are opting for direct-to-consumer sales to primarily sell their products and gain higher profit margins. Direct-to-consumer sales channels are also expected to strengthen brand relationships with customers by delivering high-quality products.

Regional Insights

North America held the largest share of 33.2% in 2019. The product demand in the region is majorly attributed to the increasing demand for stylish, sleek, and comfortable slicers. There has been a growing preference for slicers made from steel as these are easy to handle while slicing and they offer high durability. This trend will continue to drive innovation and new product development among players, thereby fueling market growth.

Asia Pacific is expected to witness the fastest growth during forecast years with a CAGR of 6.2% from 2020 to 2027. China, India, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, and India are the prominent markets that pose a wide opportunity for the product in the upcoming years. Higher penetration and accessibility of utility slicers in the residential sectors of the region are compelling consumers to opt for low- and medium-priced products. However, the increasing willingness of consumers to invest in premium-quality traditional tools for experimenting with new cuisines is expected to drive the demand for the product in this region.

Key Companies & Market Share Insights

The market players face intense competition, especially from the top manufacturers of kitchen household slicers as they have a large customer base. Strong and vast distribution networks also intensify the degree of rivalry among competitors and companies have been implementing various expansion strategies, such as new product launches, partnerships, and expansions, to stay ahead in the game. An increasing number of players in the industry are turning their focus toward the production of sustainable household slicers. Some of the prominent players in the household slicer market include:

MHS Schneidetechnik

Swedinghaus

Magurit Gefrierschneider GmbH

Foodmate

Bizerba SE & Co. KG

Hallde

Brunner GmbH

Bizerba SE & Co. KG

Devile Technologies

Wente-Thiedig GmbH

Sirman

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I can fix her

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

mandolins is big business

Was this written by an AI

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilpicard posted:

Was this written by an AI

it could be madlibs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's me, I'm "sirman"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ha, I don't even get out of bed for $308.6 million. Call me back at half a yard, maybe we can work something out.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

I read an interview somewhere once that in TNG the ferengi were originally going to be the main antagonists but after one episode featuring them the writers were like "no these guys are far too goofy" so they came up with the borg instead

Yes I'm sure it was a total coincidence they made a new communist allegory villain the very second Roddenberry had to step away from the show due to his health

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought the Borg were America.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I thought the Borg were America.

yeah, maybe-- definitely not Canada though

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I'm sure the borg were meant to be the horros of communism and collectivism taken to an extreme but like, I just don't think it landed with audiences. It just seems like they consume everything and leaving behind destruction. Picard's throwaway line of "We only seek to raise the quality of life!" when he's borg'd later on really feels like someone trying to hammer home a point they didn't manage to make. They're just the spooky mind controllers in a cube imo

:goonsay:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samuel Glompers posted:

I'm sure the borg were meant to be the horros of communism and collectivism taken to an extreme but like, I just don't think it landed with audiences. It just seems like they consume everything and leaving behind destruction. Picard's throwaway line of "We only seek to raise the quality of life!" when he's borg'd later on really feels like someone trying to hammer home a point they didn't manage to make. They're just the spooky mind controllers in a cube imo

:goonsay:

Yeah like I said.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Q called them "the ultimate consumer" when they were first introduced. I never got commie vibes. They were just a force of nature before they became space zombies

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

I can fix her

she dont need fixin

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I used to be pretty uncomfortable with the other races in star trek being presented as having kind of intrinsic personalities that kinda read like old timey racist caricatures, but landed on the idea that they were just creating these races by stretching the emotional qualities of humans in different ways to be able to write little morality plays about human nature.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the best startrek is enterprise

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Wow ok

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

gently caress all the Stars

Trek, Wars, Topics, Comma Dancing with the, Anise, all of ‘em

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

best theme song

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Search?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m tossing Dallas Stars into this list and nodding.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

which star culture is libz

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

HashtagGirlboss posted:

:agreed:

actually can they change Dancing with the Stars to Drowning with the Stars instead? i`d watch that and it would be a lot more socially useful

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

speng31b posted:

the federation

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

This is the biggest troll, because there is no way in gently caress you would be saying this if you had actually watched it.

Like, Profit and Lace is more notoriously bad, but Cogenitor is actually worse.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I watched it when I was 8

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I used to work with someone who liked fuckin' voyager so much they named their first child after seven of nine's human name.

They had never seen DS9.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They were also real into dumb poo poo like raw milk so I assume they're dead now

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

the federation

hmmm idk.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

I watched it when I was 8
You know what, I won't yuck your yum any further.

Live your happiness, let me just recommend you not go back and re-watch it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

speng31b posted:

Romulans.

Basically no ideology other than loyalty to their system, willing to throw allies under the bus or sell out to the worst elements in the universe if they perceive it as being even slightly beneficial to themselves.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Weatherman posted:

:agreed:

actually can they change Dancing with the Stars to Drowning with the Stars instead? i`d watch that and it would be a lot more socially useful

This would be great. Maybe cross over episode where they feed mark cuban to a shark?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Babylon 5 has no stars in its name

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Stargate was a far better show than the Trek/War/Babylon 5,s

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

I used to work with someone who liked fuckin' voyager so much they named their first child after seven of nine's human name.

They had never seen DS9.

watch babylon 5 (JMS viewing order)

enjoy enlightenment before we all die

if you get the chance, enjoy Legends Of Galactic Heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

you can just say you like the vulcan lady's boobs. nobody's gonna judge