Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Naw, it's good.

Red Bull gives you wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Gives wings, but eats pitot tubes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Man I'd have thought Red Bull would be content to quit littering after tossing a whole 182 onto the ground, but they're still at it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lynx air was a generally positive experience. Brand new max8, albeit spartan without chargers or even reclining seats, but comfortable for a 75 min flight and on time.

Flair coming up in an hour. Not giving me the good vibes with texting of "SLIDEBITE DONT FORGET TO CHECK IN" even though I already did, have a boarding pass and presently behind security in yvr.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

Lynx air was a generally positive experience. Brand new max8, albeit spartan without chargers or even reclining seats, but comfortable for a 75 min flight and on time.

Flair coming up in an hour. Not giving me the good vibes with texting of "SLIDEBITE DONT FORGET TO CHECK IN" even though I already did, have a boarding pass and presently behind security in yvr.

That's just weird apps being weird. It's nice getting "we're now boarding your plane" alerts from AA as you're on the taxiway.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah must be.

Out of Canada's discount carriers, I prefer Lynx to Flair but to be totally honest a lot of that could be because lynx was at about 75% capacity and flair was a full bus.

Interestingly, both were MAX aircraft but Flair called it a 737-800 in the seatback emergency sheet. It was definitely a MAX though.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but it looks like Mayday has a Youtube channel now and are regularly posting full episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MaydayAirDisaster

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Fits thread title.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1540994831555727363

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Literal lol, hardest I've laughed in awhile.

And the comments...

quote:

"Thanks to nuclear energy, the hotel never runs out of fuel and can remain suspended in the air for several years without ever touching the ground." The passengers and crew on the other hand must fight to survive in the evolving aero-thunderdome.

quote:

I bet I still end up next to someone else's screaming three year old for the entire trip

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Why did I read the replies

quote:

Covid above the clouds. Neat.

Really good for those who haven't learned anything from cruise ships.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not only Nuclear powered, fusion nuclear powered.

With a glass dome.. which I'm sure is great as a pressure vessel.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Not sure if anyone saw this, but it looks like Mayday has a Youtube channel now and are regularly posting full episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MaydayAirDisaster

Noice!

IMO their episode on the Arrow Air disaster is too credulous to the official story

Two things to share, both wrecks:

So for reasons y'all might understand but I do not, Newfoundland has several new goldmining operations starting up. As part of this, the Marine Institute finally did a bathymetric survey of at least some parts of Gander lake. And they found this:

Which appears to be that crashed B-24 people have looked for with more primitive sonar before. Assuming the ID is correct, it's gone nose-first into the mud, and the fuselage at some later point fell off behind the wing, with the rectangular things you see being the horizontal part of the tail. Apparently the Shipwreck socitey of NL is getting the legal cruff together so they can explore it.

This was posted on facebook and sorting comments by "most relevant" is dogshit; first comment is GOVERNMENT HAS ALL OUR MONEY, the second is "what a horrible example of environmental crimes Americans committed" (The B-24 was RCAF.)

Second wreck: let's build a flying hotel argh beaten like aeronautical engineers explaining you can't make lightweight nuclear shielding

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Why is it flying above the clouds with the landing gear already extended?!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

I feel like I want to say "oh fusion, that's perfectly reasonable then" just to read Phanatic's withering takedown of myself

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Noice!

IMO their episode on the Arrow Air disaster is too credulous to the official story

Two things to share, both wrecks:

So for reasons y'all might understand but I do not, Newfoundland has several new goldmining operations starting up. As part of this, the Marine Institute finally did a bathymetric survey of at least some parts of Gander lake. And they found this:

Which appears to be that crashed B-24 people have looked for with more primitive sonar before. Assuming the ID is correct, it's gone nose-first into the mud, and the fuselage at some later point fell off behind the wing, with the rectangular things you see being the horizontal part of the tail. Apparently the Shipwreck socitey of NL is getting the legal cruff together so they can explore it.

This was posted on facebook and sorting comments by "most relevant" is dogshit; first comment is GOVERNMENT HAS ALL OUR MONEY, the second is "what a horrible example of environmental crimes Americans committed" (The B-24 was RCAF.)

Second wreck: let's build a flying hotel argh beaten like aeronautical engineers explaining you can't make lightweight nuclear shielding

Any idea how deep the wreck is? That’s a pretty deep lake for its size.

Which also has sent me down a rabbit hole of looking at underwater ROVs. Even consumer models are frigging expensive, geeze.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dahir Insaat's got competition!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LimaBiker posted:

It’s so they don’t have to do another render.

slidebite posted:

If it wasn’t commissioned for someone’s Cyberpunk 2020/Red or Shadowrun campaign someone needs to get on writing one that takes place on this thing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What would big electric aircraft engines actually look like? For their render they just used standard turbofans. I assume there would still be nacelles for sound isolation, but would they just house a single big fan inside?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Reducing drag is for peasants who don’t have limitless energy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LimaBiker posted:

How else do you expect them to land on the peak of everest?? :colbert:

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

david_a posted:

What would big electric aircraft engines actually look like? For their render they just used standard turbofans. I assume there would still be nacelles for sound isolation, but would they just house a single big fan inside?

The Heat Transfer Reactor Experiment basically used a jet engine with the combustion chamber replaced by routing the air through a reactor core.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

NightGyr posted:

The Heat Transfer Reactor Experiment basically used a jet engine with the combustion chamber replaced by routing the air through a reactor core.

That looks like a robot doing yoga

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kesper North posted:

That looks like a robot doing yoga

camera lookin' down: robot double fisting some rocket fuel.
camera lookin' up: hungover robot pukin' with his hands on his knees

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

NightGyr posted:

Now that's pod racing!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

david_a posted:

The designs I've seen are mostly just a big ducted fan with the motor suspended right in the middle and covered with heatsink fins.

Then there's the comedy options like replacing the combustors in a traditional turbine with electric arcs or microwave plasma generators. A turbine can run off pretty much any heat source after all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This talks about some basic design overview for fission reactor aircraft

https://youtu.be/9Jt924xjaJo

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay here it is: turbine taking energy from a big laser on the ground

Airships following a path of ground lasers, each of which keeps pushing it for a few miles until the ship is in range of the next one

It's an air tram

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 28, 2022

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

St_Ides posted:

Any idea how deep the wreck is? That’s a pretty deep lake for its size.

Which also has sent me down a rabbit hole of looking at underwater ROVs. Even consumer models are frigging expensive, geeze.

Yeah, making stuff that works deep is not cheap.There was a Canadian company that made an ROV smol enough that you could run it off of a commerical generator while having some multitool functionality, and it was still tens of thousands of dollars.

The deep part of the lake runs most of its length, and is about 250-300m, or at least 900 ft. Apparently visibility can get piss-poor, too. The really fine silt that covers the lake bottom, if it gets stirred up reduces visibility to zero.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Head in the Clouds is still a brilliant name for a blimp/future air tech whorehouse.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Head in the Clouds is still a brilliant name for a blimp/future air tech whorehouse.

Post/Username/Avatar trifecta.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I found a good video of that Bristol Freighter that’s in that lake in the Yukon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMV9jRxe3I

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Third base for the Mile High Club....

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Sorry... double post...
I'm sure I've seen this in a toy set....

:hmmno:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's from Altered Carbon.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cable Guy posted:

Sorry... double post...

I'm sure I've seen this in a toy set....

:hmmno:

I know militarization of police shouldn't surprise anyone, but giving cops old YAL-1? Come on.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

This is the sort of stuff I doodle when I'm supposed to be listening to my boss.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gervasius posted:

I know militarization of police shouldn't surprise anyone, but giving cops old YAL-1? Come on.

It actually looks more like the SOFIA platform.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
A week ago I got to fly on 'G Force One' a 727 which provides parabolic flights to simulate zero G, NASA puts experiments on it, but more often people pay $8000 for a giant rollercoaster in the sky. Unlike all the usual puff pieces about floating around and doing backflips in zero g, I arranged to go and talk to the pilots in the cockpit afterwards and that for me is the coolest part of this video, the 727 they fly was built in 1976, it still has steam gauges for most of its primary instruments and an engineers station to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67YP-f-LyI

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Not to steal Scott's thunder but here is a different cool youtube video that is ostensibly about football but is really about an absolute nutjob of a pilot who makes the infamous Jerry look like Sully Sullenberger by comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcVZZuj_WE

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Haven’t had the old “Why did they post a Scott Manley vide- oh right.” mixup in a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

illectro posted:

A week ago I got to fly on 'G Force One' a 727 which provides parabolic flights to simulate zero G, NASA puts experiments on it, but more often people pay $8000 for a giant rollercoaster in the sky. Unlike all the usual puff pieces about floating around and doing backflips in zero g, I arranged to go and talk to the pilots in the cockpit afterwards and that for me is the coolest part of this video, the 727 they fly was built in 1976, it still has steam gauges for most of its primary instruments and an engineers station to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67YP-f-LyI

I really like the part about how they joked the flight engineer came with the plane from Boeing.

Good video; the whole thing was interesting.