Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I think that's my question answered, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I am not sure how much clearer I can make this without fully explaining the basics of administrative law and the constitution.

You are dismissing the most extensive actions that can be done,

These aren't the most extensive actions that can be done though?

Congress could pass laws? To fix problems like states infringing on unenumerated rights that the courts have just declined to protect? That's kind of congress' job, and something the party controlling congress promised to do when they campaigned in 2020?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

VitalSigns posted:

These aren't the most extensive actions that can be done though?

Congress could pass laws? To fix problems like states infringing on unenumerated rights that the courts have just declined to protect? That's kind of congress' job, and something the party controlling congress promised to do when they campaigned in 2020?

As you already know, as has already been explained to you many times, as I have already stated even in this most recent repetition of addressing this line of lies, there is not a monolithic hivemind entity called "the Democrats" that has a unified control of that branch of government. There are individual senators with votes, and "the party" doesn't actually dictate how Manchin or Sinema votes. This is also irrelevant to the previous set of lies about the executive branch "doing nothing".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

As you already know, as has already been explained to you many times, as I have already stated even in this most recent repetition of addressing this line of lies, there is not a monolithic hivemind entity called "the Democrats" that has a unified control of that branch of government. There are individual senators with votes, and "the party" doesn't actually dictate how Manchin or Sinema votes. This is also irrelevant to the previous set of lies about the executive branch "doing nothing".

Yes I understand, this then is the point of the comic, that Biden has no plan to unify his party and get the votes in the senate to pass legislation that is ultimately needed to solve the problem, other than saying "VOTE!" which isn't a plan.

The executive actions you mention, while welcome and obviously better than nothing, are irrelevant to the cartoonist's point because they are not, and cannot be, enough to solve the problem due to the limits inherent in executive action that you have described.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

VitalSigns posted:

Yes I understand, this then is the point of the comic

No. The comic is lying about what Biden has said and done.

VitalSigns posted:

that Biden has no plan to unify his party and get the votes in the senate to pass legislation that is ultimately needed to solve the problem, other than saying "VOTE!" which isn't a plan.

This is also not what the comic says. You are making things up and attributing them to the comic. They are also not things that are physically possible, for reasons that have already been explained to you many, many times.

VitalSigns posted:

The executive actions you mention, while welcome and obviously better than nothing,

Then it is a lie to claim that he is responding with a shrug.

VitalSigns posted:

are irrelevant to the cartoonist's point because they are not, and cannot be, enough to solve the problem due to the limits inherent in executive action that you have described.

Then why are you pretending that those limits do not exist, that there is simply a monolith called "democrats", or that the executive is somehow able to ignore those limits as you are pretending is a legitimate demand in the same post.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 28, 2022

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Wilcox:

Spooner:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ah yes, renewable energy: basically the Dutch East India Company.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

No. The comic is lying about what Biden has said and done.

This is also not what the comic says. You are making things up and attributing them to the comic. They are also not things that are physically possible, for reasons that have already been explained to you many, many times.

Then it is a lie to claim that he is responding with a shrug.

Then why are you pretending that those limits do not exist, that there is simply a monolith called "democrats", or that the executive is somehow able to ignore those limits as you are pretending is a legitimate demand in the same post.

Political cartoons often exaggerate things for comedic effect or to make a point. That's not the same thing as lying. Let's take an example.

The supreme court has not literally forced its female members to wear handmaiden robes. Clay Bennett is not lying about this happening. He is exaggerating for comedic effect or impact.

It is also definitely not "gaslighting". Gaslighting is a form of abuse in which the abuser tries to convince the victim that their perception of reality is incorrect. Adam Ellis is not trying to convince anyone of that. Again, he is exaggerating for comedic effect. I would strongly suggest not using such a loaded term for something so mundane.

To me, the comic is saying that Biden's plans for dealing with the Roe overturn are so meager as to basically be a shrug. This is a subjective criticism. You may feel that what Biden has done is good enough, and you are technically correct that he has done something, but that is not an opinion shared by many other people. If you want to argue against that, you will have to demonstrate why you think that Biden has done enough, not simply state that he has. Again, this is not the same thing as lying, or gaslighting.

Furthermore, the claim that "the democrats aren't a monolith" is a very weak excuse. If the party cannot discipline its members enough to pass legislation, then the party is severely dysfunctional and should not be given the benefit of the doubt that they will be able to do enough to stop the stripping of human rights. If Biden is serious about his plans to protect our rights, he will have to begin with getting his party in line.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 28, 2022

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

I know I'm a bit late, but I just have to point this out. Notice the mother is talking to her own daughter, telling her to control herself so she doesn't get pregnant, rather than talking to the boyfriend. It's a subtle thing, but it seems to be implying that if she did end up pregnant, the mother will pin all the blame on her daughter.

In summary, gently caress you Kelley, and gently caress your lovely comic strip Dustin that is nothing more than a wink-wink-nudge-nudge commentary on millennials being inferior to their Boomer superiors.

Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Fister Roboto posted:

Political cartoons often exaggerate things for comedic effect or to make a point. That's not the same thing as lying. Let's take an example.

The supreme court has not literally forced its female members to wear handmaiden robes. Clay Bennett is not lying about this happening. He is exaggerating for comedic effect or impact.

It is also definitely not "gaslighting". Gaslighting is a form of abuse in which the abuser tries to convince the victim that their perception of reality is incorrect. Adam Ellis is not trying to convince anyone of that. Again, he is exaggerating for comedic effect. I would strongly suggest not using such a loaded term for something so mundane.

To me, the comic is saying that Biden's plans for dealing with the Roe overturn are so meager as to basically be a shrug. This is a subjective criticism. You may feel that what Biden has done is good enough, and you are technically correct that he has done something, but that is not an opinion shared by many other people. If you want to argue against that, you will have to demonstrate why you think that Biden has done enough, not simply state that he has. Again, this is not the same thing as lying, or gaslighting.

Furthermore, the claim that "the democrats aren't a monolith" is a very weak excuse. If the party cannot discipline its members enough to pass legislation, then the party is severely dysfunctional and should not be given the benefit of the doubt that they will be able to do enough to stop the stripping of human rights. If Biden is serious about his plans to protect our rights, he will have to begin with getting his party in line.

Since this back-and-forth has generated a bunch of reports, my 2c are that your two points here on not being gaslighting (which is a specific thing this is not, a more appropriate label for Discendo Vox's reaction to the comic would be simply "misleading" or "false") and comics being subjective or exaggerative are correct. Discendo Vox has pointed out legal limits of executive power and rule-making, you've identified that "gaslighting" is not really a correct term here and that comics almost by definition engage in subjective criticism and exaggeration for effect.

I'd appreciate if folks would move on from this, seems like talking past each other.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
e: Eh, gently caress it, mod post above me, not worth it, etc.

quote:

The Saudis are hardly embracing Joe’s ‘woke-ism.’ They rule with an iron fist. They don’t want grooming drag queens teaching their children. They’re not about to celebrate ‘gay pride’ month. They’ve prohibited rainbows on toys.

Ben Garrison low key praising Saudi Arabia here.

I think this is the cartoon that's made me the maddest of all the abortion cartoons and it's hard to explain why.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Nenonen posted:

Ben's art has really deteriorated.
Yeah Jesus, look at that Biden.

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly there's been a lot of Ben toons lately that I thought at first glance were Tina's.
:same: Let's compare his latest against a random one from early 2020:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Raised By Birds posted:

I guess he's dropped "Let's Go Brandon" for "FJB." Maybe someday he'll be daring enough to actually spell out "gently caress."

Can someone try and photoshop the random American in the first panel and Biden in the 2nd one so they're both standing? I feel like the heights would be super hosed up. They're both on their knees and coming up to the shoulders of the standing person.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Spalec posted:

Can someone try and photoshop the random American in the first panel and Biden in the 2nd one so they're both standing? I feel like the heights would be super hosed up. They're both on their knees and coming up to the shoulders of the standing person.

I did a quick and dirty photoshop edit to straighten them out, and it actually comes out pretty close. Kneeling guys are slightly taller than standing guys, but it's not egregious.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

e: Eh, gently caress it, mod post above me, not worth it, etc.

I think this is the cartoon that's made me the maddest of all the abortion cartoons and it's hard to explain why.

"Here's my god giving me a thumbs up" is self congratulatory and smug as poo poo regardless of context, but given the context, it's that plus the general infuriating.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lalo Alcaraz

Nick Anderson

Matt Davies

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

That's not what we mean by "void fetus," Gorrell.

Joe Heller

Gary Markstein

Joel Pett

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

Just Say No, Joe: Fentanyl coming from China through Biden’s open border has killed over 107,000 Americans this past year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

107,000s dead from Alfred China’s invention, fentanyl.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's an awful big bag for a mere 10 dollar percents

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's high-key if anything. Love that the government prohibiting people to paint certain things is freedom.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Epic High Five posted:

That's an awful big bag for a mere 10 dollar percents
Inflation.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Hell yeah! :canada:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: Case made better above.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"This is just like those scary, backwards Muslims!" is an extremely lovely way of criticizing Christian fundamentalists.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Someone should really do something about the China-America border

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sorry, are we supposed to be happy we can't get laid anymore?

If I didn't know better I'd think this was a pro-choice comic but it's Gary McCoy...

Oh right: Kellies' nomination most easily reinterpreted

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you put on your Asay glasses you will see that people women being allowed to have consequence-free sex is literally the worst thing in the world.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

War Wizard posted:

Hell yeah! :canada:

It seems so sensible that it took me a moment (and remembering what thread I was in) to realize how they meant it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Remember that McCoy's first instinct after the initial leak was to use it to kick down at trans people:

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

This mom is clearly going to be insufferable to sit through any movie with and they quickly realize she'll be much easier to deal with if they just play cards and watch the movie secretly after she goes to bed. AGC.

londonarbuckle fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 28, 2022

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Jesus christ, I hate these ones that act like people are being forced to have abortions and if only they were banned every woman would be a happy suburban housewife and mother of 5

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dems loooove death

Why would trans women care about bodily autonomy??? Clearly, they must think they have wombs.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I want an I :heart: abortion shirt.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson and industrial strikes – Is there no line the British prime minister would not cross to hold on to his own position?"

Telegraph:

G7 leaders 'flex their pecs' to Putin, but signs of strain emerge

Matt:

Prince Charles’s acceptance of cash from Qatari sheikh to be reviewed

Times:

Barristers begin month of strikes over legal aid fees

Evening Standard:

Boris Johnson condemns Putin’s ‘barbarism’ after shopping centre missile strike

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have that "Plan B: the chance to act like a drunken whore" comic? Feels like we need to bring that one back.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

seiferguy posted:

Anyone have that "Plan B: the chance to act like a drunken whore" comic? Feels like we need to bring that one back.

hah, I remembered 'plan b sounds so liberating' to word :haw:

e: you know, plan A sounds like a summary of pro-choice goals. Responsibility (having the responsibility over your own body), family planning (including access to birth control and abortion), self-esteem (my body my choice!), keeping a good reputation (getting rid of all stigma involved with sexual health)? :hellyeah:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 28, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

Remember that McCoy's first instinct after the initial leak was to use it to kick down at trans people:

Okay but she specifically said "you don't have a uterus" and this guy is blatantly a cis man and doesn't have one, so her point stands.
"Men can get pregnant" doesn't mean "every man has a uterus", McCoy could have phrased this just a slight bit different to make his stupid point look better but he didn't. Even in his own telling, it's bad.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

"Period Drama"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/Rob_Rogers/status/1541760387569401858?t=FbrzqngcSju-pbGHPpa4sg&s=19