Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

fabergay egg posted:

is canola bad if you don’t have a right wing coded eating disorder? asking for a friend

no it's fine. just don't eat a ton of it (same for literally any other oil).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
although you should avoid palm and palm kernel oil (which is almost impossible to actually do) because it's terrible for the environment and climate change

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fabergay egg posted:

is canola bad if you don’t have a right wing coded eating disorder? asking for a friend

Its high in polyunsaturated fats (Which we get too many of, bc of high proportion of canola/seed oils) And I believe the refinement process renders it pro inflammatory.

Much like hfcs, it’s not inherently bad but we consume way too much of them in processed foods.

All of this is minutiae .. keep your blood pressure & blood sugar controlled, don’t smoke, and don’t consume too many calories. This will take you as far as your genetics allow. Bonus points for being active every day and eating 14g fiber/1000 calories

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If you get a $20 harbor freight palm sander and some rough grit sandpaper you can get tons of basically free extremely good cast iron cookware from flea markets, estate sales, etc. u gotta do like 10 minutes of sanding off the rust then clean it and get a base layer of seasoning down but you can find stuff that would be $$$$$ otherwise. just a lil tip. thanks for reading and god bless

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

If you get a $20 harbor freight palm sander and some rough grit sandpaper you can get tons of basically free extremely good cast iron cookware from flea markets, estate sales, etc. u gotta do like 10 minutes of sanding off the rust then clean it and get a base layer of seasoning down but you can find stuff that would be $$$$$ otherwise. just a lil tip. thanks for reading and god bless

will the sander remove the seed oil contamination??

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/slimfineMF/status/1538558527349874688

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I love when Americans need to escape their boring lives so they make up some bullshit about how our ancestors used to live to validate doing something stupid.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

this guy is the “carnivore md” who had to reintegrate fruit into his diet because he was dying. part of the seed oil hysteria is his doing because he had to go back on carbs being the great evil. now his absolutely sure veg oils are causing the down fall of civilization for real this time! no mom I don’t have to eat my veggies!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FacelessVoid posted:

this guy is the “carnivore md” who had to reintegrate fruit into his diet because he was dying. part of the seed oil hysteria is his doing because he had to go back on carbs being the great evil. now his absolutely sure veg oils are causing the down fall of civilization for real this time! no mom I don’t have to eat my veggies!!

there’s just no reason to use anything but olive oil, butter/ghee, and duck fat. I used to use sunflower oil but that’s more expensive in america than olive oil most of the time. canola smells fishy.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

"Vegetable oil" is cheaper

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

titty_baby_ posted:

"Vegetable oil" is cheaper

corn oil tastes ok in cooking. preferable to canola.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

canola's p good for popcorn but i've gone over to using chili oil

also i'm not going to loving give up peanut or sesame oil no fuckin way

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

haha dude you know I was that kid in second grade who wanted to learn the longest word…started with antidisestablishmentarianism and moved into other even longer weirder words in the unabridged dictionary. One day I realized the longest word I had ever seen was on the back of my Vidal Sassoon bottle and nobody knew what it meant. I asked my mom and the teachers and nobody I had ever met knew what that poo poo meant. Anyways that really hosed me up and I’ve been using Dr Bronner ever since and you best know I read and learn every word on that label. Peace out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TheSlutPit posted:

haha dude you know I was that kid in second grade who wanted to learn the longest word…started with antidisestablishmentarianism and moved into other even longer weirder words in the unabridged dictionary. One day I realized the longest word I had ever seen was on the back of my Vidal Sassoon bottle and nobody knew what it meant. I asked my mom and the teachers and nobody I had ever met knew what that poo poo meant. Anyways that really hosed me up and I’ve been using Dr Bronner ever since and you best know I read and learn every word on that label. Peace out.

i was a bronner man for a long time for ALL household soap needs. hair, body, dishes, floor, laundry - YOU NAME IT. but someone told me that it made their shower floor sticky so it got grody fast. i thought hmm my shower gets grody fast and its annoying to clean. I tried using NOT BRONNER and guess what? not so grody so fast - THEY WERE RIGHT. so now I don't use bronner for shower.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mawarannahr posted:

corn oil tastes ok in cooking. preferable to canola.

corn oil is great for frying. highly recommended for schnitzel, adds just the right bit of flavor.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

maybe you should try - CLEANING YOUR SHOWER - more often

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

You can use waste vegetable oil to male biodiesel. With fuel prices up this high it's definitely going to be A Thing again like back in 2008 and I'm hitching up to that wagon bigtime

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

think humans figured out that cooking releases energy before they invented steel tools there, mr natural

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the correct cooking oil to use is lard or suet

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what’s the best long lasting at room temperature unopened oil, for biosphere collapse purposes?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lard or suet.

seriously.

basically any fat that's solid at room temp.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Smythe posted:

i was a bronner man for a long time for ALL household soap needs. hair, body, dishes, floor, laundry - YOU NAME IT. but someone told me that it made their shower floor sticky so it got grody fast. i thought hmm my shower gets grody fast and its annoying to clean. I tried using NOT BRONNER and guess what? not so grody so fast - THEY WERE RIGHT. so now I don't use bronner for shower.

zoomers love Bronner's soaps so maybe give your bride the treat of a lavender Bronner's

and then make it her job to clean the shower

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

When cured properly fatty salumi such as pancetta, nduja and lardo are indefinitely stable in room temp environments. You also get the added benefit of delicious flavor in anything you cook with them.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

what’s the best long lasting at room temperature unopened oil, for biosphere collapse purposes?

tallow

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheSlutPit posted:

When cured properly fatty salumi such as pancetta, nduja and lardo are indefinitely stable in room temp environments. You also get the added benefit of delicious flavor in anything you cook with them.

no way, they go rancid and taste 'off' if exposed to oxygen too long

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mawarannahr posted:

By its nature, edible oil simply doesn't have the same capacity for long term storage that grains do. One solution (bad) I've seen some emergency ration manufacturers use is to use trans fats, which are technically already rancidified and therefore are very shelf stable. This is why they were so popular before, you know, we found out they're basically poison.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Seriously though get a load of this poo poo

This "daily ration" has 84 grams of trans fat in it. You're not supposed to have more than 13 grams of normal saturated fat. I can feel my arteries harden just looking at the label.

"All natural ingredients", it says.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cooking with oil is cool because you can just pour it down the drain when you're done

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Smythe posted:

yeah it's soap scum

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Doktor Bronner saved my life. he literally saved my life. i was being pursued by a mountain lion and Herr Doktor stepped out from behind a rocky outcropping and shot the beast with a big gun. i've used his various products ever since.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dr Bronner made love to my wife. He's a humble man, and was reluctant when we first asked him to do the deed, but he gave my beloved wifey the time of her life, the best sexy times that she's ever had. The good Doctor's products are as high of quality as his loving, and we have never gone back since

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TheSlutPit posted:

maybe you should try - CLEANING YOUR SHOWER - more often

i clean it ONCE PER WEEEK!!!!!!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Smythe posted:

i clean it ONCE PER WEEEK!!!!!!

do you have hard water?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cooking with oil is cool because you can just pour it down the drain when you're done

I found out recently (this week) you aren’t supposed to do this but the thing I read didn’t say what you are supposed to do so I’m gonna keep dumping that poo poo I guess

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think thats just a boomer thing because they'd pour bacon grease down the drain which is the same thing as olive oil in their mind

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

You're not supposed to put any Fat, Oil or Grease ("FOG") down the drain they cause all sorts of problems when they build up.

You're supposed to give your waste cooking oil to your local cool forward-thinking guy with too much free time so I can make biodiesel with it goddamnit

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

indigi posted:

I found out recently (this week) you aren’t supposed to do this but the thing I read didn’t say what you are supposed to do so I’m gonna keep dumping that poo poo I guess

you put it in a jar or something and then put it in the garbage

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mr. Lobe posted:

Seriously though get a load of this poo poo

This "daily ration" has 84 grams of trans fat in it. You're not supposed to have more than 13 grams of normal saturated fat. I can feel my arteries harden just looking at the label.

"All natural ingredients", it says.

i think we should keep encouraging patriots to consume this.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

no way, they go rancid and taste 'off' if exposed to oxygen too long

This is really not the case in my experience as long as they are cellar dried properly and kept out of direct light and extreme temperatures. I genuinely didn’t believe it either until I had such products sitting for many months with no sign of rancidity or spoilage. It helps if you’re using casings or skin on the outer surface but even lardo basically renders itself stable if you age it long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

crepeface posted:

lard or suet.

seriously.

basically any fat that's solid at room temp.

you can also use it to turn certain grasses into candles :)