Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Gripweed posted:

Bi-Beast does kick rear end. I’d love to see more Bi-Beasts, a girl Bi-Beast, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

thetoughestbean posted:

My pitch is Peter teams up with Ben Reilly, Miles Morales and let’s say Otto Octavius once again in a Peter body to make sure there’s always a Spider-Man available to help save the day and improve Spider-Man’s reputation. They end up having to fight a bunch of reanimated Spider-Slayer robots that were hidden in the sewers that go around attacking different Spider-People.

It’ll be called Spider-Man & Spider-Man & Spider-Man & Spider-Man

In the wake of Peter's abrupt disappearance, Spider-Man duties are split up among a suspicious-acting Ben Reilly, Miles in a sweet leather jacket, Hobie Brown in the Spider-Armor, and a cybernetically augmented Otto.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

In the wake of Peter's abrupt disappearance, Spider-Man duties are split up among a suspicious-acting Ben Reilly, Miles in a sweet leather jacket, Hobie Brown in the Spider-Armor, and a cybernetically augmented Otto.

Would he disappear during a trip to Latveria? Maybe while the country is celebrating Doom's Day.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
isn't a cybernetically enhanced otto just normal otto

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blockhouse posted:

isn't a cybernetically enhanced otto just normal otto

Otto keeps insisting it’s different this time but won’t elaborate when asked

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lobok posted:

I just got finished with Mark Waid's time on Daredevil and I'm not sure you can say much really changed about the character but hot drat if that wasn't one of the best runs on any character I've ever read.

Daredevil has had such an incredible run of volumes, it's incredible. Like, my least favorite run since probably Kevin Smith was Charles Soule's which wasn't even bad just didn't really work for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really like daredevil very much as a character but he keeps getting such great runs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm excited to read more of them. I read the original 50 or so back in the day but didn't come back until Waid's run. Right now I'm going through the DD & Black Widow era because that one always mystified me and because it will probably make for a good baseline to see what DD comics were like before Miller comes in later in the decade.

But the reason I chimed in about finishing Waid's run was just to point out that stories can be great without totally changing a character. It's genre fiction. A great plot and good characterization are important (and the art on this run was so loving good). And there was genuinely ingenious use of powers and top tier action choreography & action storytelling.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 26, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Mark Waid's run had him publicly admit to being Daredevil. That seems like a pretty big status quo change.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Daredevil has great runs because every new writer doesn't feel the need to change the status quo, they just tell great stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Miller introduced Elektra and later outed him to Kingpin, Nocenti broke him up with Karen Page, Bendis outed him, Waid had him directly acknowledge he was Daredevil. Seoule shoved him back in the closet and become a prosecutor, Zdarsky had him arrested and I think killed him and had Elektra become Daredevil.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Skwirl posted:

Mark Waid's run had him publicly admit to being Daredevil. That seems like a pretty big status quo change.

And move to San Francisco.

Did any of that outlast Waid's run?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

And move to San Francisco.

Did any of that outlast Waid's run?

No Seoule was the immediate next run and no one knows he's Daredevil except Foggy and he's working in New York as a prosecutor.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

No Seoule was the immediate next run and no one knows he's Daredevil except Foggy and he's working in New York as a prosecutor.

There's a lot in Soule's run that would've been kind of cool in a vacuum, but he hit the reset button so hard at the start of it that it spoiled the rest of it for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

There's a lot in Soule's run that would've been kind of cool in a vacuum, but he hit the reset button so hard at the start of it that it spoiled the rest of it for me.

A lot of post-SW stuff did that unfortunately

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I suspect Marvel had been intending to reset Daredevil, which is why Mark Waid could have him come out publicly instead of the previous status quo where he'd been outed in a newspaper, but they retracted it and he denied it. So you're average person would know a lot of people think he's Daredevil, but supposedly he wasn't.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't talking about status quo but yeah. He was public with his identity and he also moved back to San Francisco partway through.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I suspect Marvel had been intending to reset Daredevil, which is why Mark Waid could have him come out publicly instead of the previous status quo where he'd been outed in a newspaper, but they retracted it and he denied it. So you're average person would know a lot of people think he's Daredevil, but supposedly he wasn't.

Matt's Daredevil? Impossible. He had a sweater that said he wasn't and everything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got to the issue of Hulk where he fights Juggernaut. I was aware of Juggernaut, I'd seen him in the cartoons and stuff, and I knew he was Professor X's brother, so I'd always assumed he was a mutant. He had like, momentum powers or something.

So the lore dump about the Crimson Jewel of Cyttorak came as a bit of a surprise.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gripweed posted:

So the lore dump about the Crimson Jewel of Cyttorak came as a bit of a surprise.

I am glad Professor X was eventually willing to let him take a job as a cop so he could move to their fascist ethno-state.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm glad Cain was finally able to move back in with his husband.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am glad Professor X was eventually willing to let him take a job as a cop so he could move to their fascist ethno-state.

he's a big dumb white guy who shoots first and asks questions later, it's the perfect job

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Matt's Daredevil? Impossible. He had a sweater that said he wasn't and everything.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gripweed posted:

I got to the issue of Hulk where he fights Juggernaut. I was aware of Juggernaut, I'd seen him in the cartoons and stuff, and I knew he was Professor X's brother, so I'd always assumed he was a mutant. He had like, momentum powers or something.

I think the movies have been the only time Juggernaut has ever been a Mutant

Also this led to me rewatching "The Juggernaut, Bitch!" for the first time in years and yeah it's still pretty funny

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think he's a mutant in X-Men: Evolution.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Hey, does marvel unlimited no longer give away action figures and other swag? I just signed up for a year and it didn’t say anything, still cheapish to get caught up on my funny books but was hoping for that Kate Pryde figure.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Which one did you sign up for?

https://www.marvel.com/unlimited?cid=dcom_navigation_20210331_unlimited_top

The $99 one is the one with the figure

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

It only gave me the choice of monthly and the $68.99 one. I sent an email and got an immediate (ie auto generated) response saying that I should have it in 6-8 weeks and write them back if I don’t. Also, I mention to them that I never got the Punisher Venom the last time I signed up, but like I said that response was so fast it’s clear that no one read it. Is there a way to go back and change the sub? I kinda don’t think it’s worth it, and I should just buy the older Kitty Pryde fig and deal with it, but I feel that Marvel owes me one to two figs and this will not stand!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They should really make a real Kate with the coat and frizzy hair. The Marvel Unlimited one is just the older figure with a bandana and cutlass.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

They should really make a real Kate with the coat and frizzy hair. The Marvel Unlimited one is just the older figure with a bandana and cutlass.

Yeah, honestly I’m not too jazzed about it, just think that those mother fuckers promised two figures, and I have none! I don’t know or care about where punisher venom comes from but it appealed to my inner twelve year old and might be good for a trade or whatever.

Anyway, cracked a couple beers and am reading All-New Wolverine for the first time, it’s great so far! Happy Sunday everyone!

Note: as posted elsewhere I’m loving furious about current events, being a father and a homo, I’m not trying to put my head in the sand but fuckin’ a I’ve been needing to just chill and read some drat comics. And read some drat comics I shall! :)

Stay safe everyone :glomp:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn, the Hulk comics featuring Adam Warlock are extremely not subtle about Warlock being Jesus.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn, the Hulk comics featuring Adam Warlock are extremely not subtle about Warlock being Jesus.

That was also the way he was in his comic until he met the purple afroed future

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

drrockso20 posted:

I think the movies have been the only time Juggernaut has ever been a Mutant

Also this led to me rewatching "The Juggernaut, Bitch!" for the first time in years and yeah it's still pretty funny

I think he was also a mutant in the Ultimate Universe and the X-Men Evolution cartoon. And there's a bunch of stories where he's treated as if he's a mutant because, let's face it, assuming that "Professor X's brother who also has powers" would also be a mutant should be a pretty safe assumption to make.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Evolution tried to do both actually. His mutant genes were naturally dormant but he activated them with mysticism. At least that was what Xavier said, no idea if they did anything more with his origins other than that line. He also shows up on cerebrus as enhanced mutant.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Angry Salami posted:

I think he was also a mutant in the Ultimate Universe and the X-Men Evolution cartoon. And there's a bunch of stories where he's treated as if he's a mutant because, let's face it, assuming that "Professor X's brother who also has powers" would also be a mutant should be a pretty safe assumption to make.

Worth bringing up that Xavier and Juggernaut are only step-brothers

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

drrockso20 posted:

Worth bringing up that Xavier and Juggernaut are only step-brothers

His mutant power is the ability to get stuck in any dryer or under any bed

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I just read the New Fantastic Four and I have to say I love it when Marvel does this. They can wedge all kinds of new stories in their old plot lines. Give me more of this and less of whatever’s happening over in Spider-Man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Rawnzilla/status/1541503475552591876?s=20&t=p-WN1lG7Yxx_6XPU_BVkaA

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
He's talking out of the side of his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Aero and Sword Master. This was a complete random buy, it was like three bucks on the last day of Barnes and Noble store closing sale and I grabbed it. I ended up liking it a lot. Wave is a fun character, and I've always liked the idea of international superhero teams with their own guys and villains, and the evil corporation being run by a mermaid is great. Sword Master is neat too, a guy with a magic sword only he can wield but he has never even held a sword before and he absolutely loving sucks is a great premise for a hero. Ares was great, his son was, great their relationship was great, I'd read a comic just about those two.

Both of the stories lead into something called Atlantis Attacks, which now I'm kinda keen to read