Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Bonobo is the name of the software they use (Bungie used it, as well). There's similarly named tools like Guerrilla and Sapien.

I don't think 343 is racist. I think they're disorganized and in a lot of trouble atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they shouldn't name their internal toolset after primates. Yeah I know about Bungie's old engine being called Simian and the fact that monkeys are all over the Halo coding but this is still a pretty amazing fuckup.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe they shouldn't name their internal toolset after primates. Yeah I know about Bungie's old engine being called Simian and the fact that monkeys are all over the Halo coding but this is still a pretty amazing fuckup.

Absolutely the worst possible circumstance lol. Maybe set the default title for things to something like UNTITLED.

Edit: Bonnie Ross on the incident: https://twitter.com/PlutonForEver/status/1536932050619334656?t=YeQo5f9vmGBGsJ8WEWh4Jg&s=19

Agoat fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 15, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I fully believe the entire game industry is teeming with nazis

The industry basically spent the 90s and 00s marketing almost exclusively to making white men feel powerful. It's absolutely primed to attract that type of person and it's going to take a lot of active work to root them out.

This is a good example of why diversity in hiring and having a welcoming environment for internal feedback is so important.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Laserface posted:

this has come up in another thread of a totally different topic, but its kind of normal to be fascinated by things, particularly evil things. it doesnt inherently make you a bad person because you're collecting war poo poo.

Nazis, serial killers, genocide, mass murder, war, rapists, pedophiles etc are all pretty well understood because someone at some point in time found them 'interesting'

Im not at all Stanning for 343 because they're a pack of loving morons (and this seems like a pretty consistent theme with them) but its OK to be interested in bad things.

To be clear I was mostly making a joke about how there are the type of people who are really obsessed with the Nazi's and WWII to the point where they're trying to collect Nazi flags and nazi knives and German soldier uniforms and then get weirdly defensive about how they're not a nazi but they just think its so interesting. They love using the term interesting. It doesn't make you a bad person but it certainly is "interesting" when they have an obsession over it.

I say this as a history major who also yes, is very interested in historical things though my focus was more the 60-70's of America which lended to me being very focused on The Vietnam War. I've read a ton about serial killers, about war crimes, about a lot of things. I think we're all kind of in agreement that whether the numerous missteps by 343 are out of malice or ignorance it kind of doesn't matter. They all add up to reflect poorly on the company....and then to add on to things they are really behind/not doing great in release timely updates or adding things we want like single player coop. It's just a bad look.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AnchorNine/status/1539229145384726528

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Agoat posted:

Bonobo is the name of the software they use (Bungie used it, as well). There's similarly named tools like Guerrilla and Sapien.

I don't think 343 is racist. I think they're disorganized and in a lot of trouble atm.

but why would they name the Juneteenth graphic after some software they've been using for 15 years? I base most of my login & in-game names on objects I can see when I'm at the name prompt (I've had characters named after snack crackers, my printer, etc.) and this still seems like total bullshit.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

but why would they name the Juneteenth graphic after some software they've been using for 15 years? I base most of my login & in-game names on objects I can see when I'm at the name prompt (I've had characters named after snack crackers, my printer, etc.) and this still seems like total bullshit.

I think what happened was a stupid accident, not someone trying to be racist.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 22, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Agoat posted:

I think what happened was a stupid accident, not someone trying to be racist.

At this point I think it's the latter trying to maintain plausible deniability as the former.

If this bonobos program automatically names its exports after itself, have there been other cases of color schemes being called bonobos in Halo Infinite? Is it just a ~crazy coincidence~ that the Juneteenth color scheme is the first?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

SpartanIvy posted:

At this point I think it's the latter trying to maintain plausible deniability as the former.

If this bonobos program automatically names its exports after itself, have there been other cases of color schemes being called bonobos in Halo Infinite? Is it just a ~crazy coincidence~ that the Juneteenth color scheme is the first?

From what I've seen, yes?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I apologize for referring to 343's handling of the Halo franchise as "something awful." You see, "something awful" is the name of the tool I use to shitpost.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Agoat posted:

From what I've seen, yes?

Can you post proof of what you’ve seen?

Bonobo hasn’t been used since halo 5 and was not used on infinite

Proof:
https://kotaku.com/halo-infinite-juneteenth-bonobo-freedom-emblem-nameplat-1849065291

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

AdmiralViscen posted:

Can you post proof of what you’ve seen?

Bonobo hasn’t been used since halo 5 and was not used on infinite

Proof:
https://kotaku.com/halo-infinite-juneteenth-bonobo-freedom-emblem-nameplat-1849065291

This must have been what I saw. I don't know anything otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_UFQWu8aM

Oh goody. When you've managed to piss off Mint you've done goofed.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_UFQWu8aM

Oh goody. When you've managed to piss off Mint you've done goofed.

"You haven't earned that trust" is a very powerful statement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I honestly cannot believe that they think people aren't earning points fast enough in MCC. You can easily get the Spartan points from running singleplayer levels. MCC is perfectly workable as-is and they abandoned their 10 season plan to do Infinite and now that Infinite's revenue stream is drying up they're going to try and poison the good well.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

I honestly cannot believe that they think people aren't earning points fast enough in MCC. You can easily get the Spartan points from running singleplayer levels. MCC is perfectly workable as-is and they abandoned their 10 season plan to do Infinite and now that Infinite's revenue stream is drying up they're going to try and poison the good well.

If anything, the point gain is slow if you focus on one particular area. The "blue" EXP-only objectives are pointless, they give no season (er-"Spartan") points to put into the season pass.

So if you're only doing half (multi/single-only player) the 10 offered, you get a maximum of 5 per week. Which is 2 weeks for each tier in the 8 season passes.

Throwing money isn't the solution for speeding this up. Redoing their objectives (like Infinites problem which is the same) is.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's really frustrating when you're in a BTB and the enemy gets a scorpion or wraith and your team just does not know what to do except run straight at it and die over and over and over. It should be a mild inconvenience but there are some games where it turns the tide completely.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Arc Hammer posted:

I see where those people are coming from. Points come pretty quickly for about the first hundred levels of a season but after that the rate at which you got points slow down very dramatically. I can see it being frustrating for someone who really likes collecting cosmetics. If they just reset the season levels/challenges every once in a while even without introducing a full season of cosmetics I think that would be all that was needed. Having microtransactions would be dumb. There are plenty of good solutions and none of them involve microtransactions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty sure you stop earning points after level 100 which is when you have to switch to challenges.

It just seems like they want people to get items faster which seems really weird for a game that has a pretty normal challenge grind and a bevy of options. You really want people to blitz through years of content faster? But engagement and gametime isn't what gives them cash, it seems, so they want to wring the last little bit from a well worn stone.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm pretty sure you stop earning points after level 100 which is when you have to switch to challenges.

You also exhaust the seasonal challenges and those no longer get refreshed either since there are no new seasons. When seasons were actively happening (or when you're a new player and still early in the levels of the last season) those accounted for a sizeable amount of points.

At least personally I have not seen any complaints about the leveling rates during the season. I've only seen complaints about the leveling for once you finish a season and many of the avenues for getting points dry up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJ-27n-Smw
Interesting comments from a 343 dev on why Desync hasn't been fixed yet. They don't have enough people to look at it right now because employees are getting shunted off to work on other areas like forge, co-op, etc.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

We don't have enough people to fix our game we've been working on for half a decade because they're busy working on launch features 18 months after the original release date

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's been roughly half a year not a year and a half but I sure hope they got a bunch of people just working on new multiplayer maps even if it's just porting from other games and giving a visual makeover. I hope they're not focusing on forge so much so the community makes that content instead unless they're putting a big effort into the visuals of the pieces for building with.

Do many people care about campaign co-op when the game's been out for half a year? Would have been a big hit at launch obviously but I don't think many people would go back to replay everything when Halo is all about the multiplayer. Firefight would be a better allocation of resources imo but I guess we'll get it eventually? It took them a while but warzone firefight for Halo 5 was great, maybe they'll wait until they have more BTB maps before working on it?

Personally I think it just needs more sandbox toys. Maps/weapons/vehicles/modes would be good since that's what Halo has always thrived on, would be a shame if the multiplayer ends up being a bunch of ugly Forge maps because 343 hasn't been keeping up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I may be in the minority but I played multiplayer for about 15-20 hours when the game dropped and then haven’t touched it. The only thing that will bring me back is coop. I want to play a game with a friend.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Multiplayer is good. Coop means nothing to me as none of my friends game any more.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I did the intro mission and then decided I would wait for Co-op.

Pretty sure all my halo friends have finished the game now because they got sick of waiting.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Coop Halo was basically my high school experience. That poo poo is a blast.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't care about the campaign anymore, I'm mostly interested in forge and a custom games browser.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-NYAxz89g

This would make the campaign better.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

I was not emotionally prepared for Spartan Palmer slipping on a banana peel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this weekly ultimate reward is a visor for the Mark Vb armor core. Far as I know this might be one of the first weekly ultimates that can only be used if you paid for a season pass because the Mark Vb was paywalled unlike the Rakshasa core. Hopefully their crosscore customization will come soon so skins and visors and pieces can b-pfffffgh who am I kidding.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I know the devs have hotter issues on their plate, but I wish their was a “death recap” like in Apex Legends. It would really cut down on the “wtf I don’t understand how I died and they didn’t even get their shields broken” moments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

runchild posted:

I know the devs have hotter issues on their plate, but I wish their was a “death recap” like in Apex Legends. It would really cut down on the “wtf I don’t understand how I died and they didn’t even get their shields broken” moments.

Doing that would require them to fix desync because a lot of those deaths will replay as on person pouring shots into the target who isn't moving.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Arc Hammer posted:

Doing that would require them to fix desync because a lot of those deaths will replay as on person pouring shots into the target who isn't moving.

Apex's recap isn't a deathcam, it's a log of damage traded.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Arc Hammer posted:

It’s just a list of logs that tell you how much damage you dealt/took, to/from whom, what weapon, etc. Not a call of duty style killcam.

But yes they should fix that too, I said they had more pressing issues.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

COD has had killcams for the past 15? years and they are still as wildly inaccurate as they were back then.

its pointless. your experience is different to the other players and you will still feel cheated based on what you experienced vs what the kill cam shows.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Twitch drops this weekend for some Halo tournament, https://twitch.tv/halo

Link up your account and let it rip, a pistol skin today & a sniper skin tomorrow

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

soggybagel posted:

I may be in the minority but I played multiplayer for about 15-20 hours when the game dropped and then haven’t touched it. The only thing that will bring me back is coop. I want to play a game with a friend.

Same. Played for about a week after it launched then decided to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Maybe it will play differently than I'm imagining but max co-op distance of 300 meters seems extremely small and limiting. I understand not being able to be all the way across the map but 300m is just tiny, I would have expected like 1000m. Also just flat out killing a player for getting 300m away seems rather ridiculous when prior halo games have just teleported one person to another, why not just do that?

edit: Upon looking at some pictures with references 300m doesn't look bad for on foot travel, but it still seems like it could be problematic with vehicles or with more than 2 players.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 1, 2022