Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

It bothers me when this strip does the semi-realistic heads and the cartoon bodies. It's somehow unsettling to me.

Yeah, it's got real bitmoji vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
:siren:Crabgrass goes live in actual newspapers today! Grab a copy if you get a chance!:siren:

(I got mine! I’ll post photos when I’m not getting annihilated at work)

E: https://imgur.com/a/KfK561c (Apologies for lovely lighting, Also why does the Imgur app make it so hard to get bb code links!?)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 27, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

rannum posted:

Phantom comically chill about the "i got sarvana pregnant" addition by Mozz

For the ghost who impregnates.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MyronMulch posted:

In the American south-east, going outside barefoot was (and maybe still is) a great way to get hookworm, a parasite that attaches to your small intestine and sucks your blood and eventually makes you stupid. So not completely far-fetched that it's something kids might ask permission to do in the Family Circus Universe.

Not to mention stuff like ants
So many ants...

Though I never asked, it was just assumed you'd go out with at least some sandals on.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

--

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

--

I Like Ducks

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

His Divine Shadow posted:

For the ghost who impregnates.

Seems like he's also the ghost who ghosts in this timeline.

And what's the problem with Savarna becoming the matriarch of the Phantom line, again? I mean presumably they'd still be Walkers genetically...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Walk in the other room and keel over from a massive coronary, that's what I need to do!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "302 - Jucika As An Attendant"

"303 - Jucika As A Poster"

"Európa-Bajnokság = European Championship"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Somewhere deep in Mary's lair, the meddle alarm starts flashing urgently.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Presto posted:

Somewhere deep in Mary's lair, the meddle alarm starts flashing urgently.

"wont someone think of their future babies?"

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

readingatwork posted:

:siren:Crabgrass goes live in actual newspapers today! Grab a copy if you get a chance!:siren:
https://imgur.com/a/KfK561c

How dare you use this as an opportunity to sneak Candorville into this thread.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

Yeah, there's considerable change in both art and format.

that's a shame, the aesthetic was really great

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

rannum posted:

Phantom comically chill about the "i got sarvana pregnant" addition by Mozz
Two reasons I can see: either he's just buying time until Guran comes over to wrangle Mozz back home; or he's fine with it because well why wouldn't he be.

christ almighty

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Guess what's back in the rotation, baby!? :toot::toot::toot:

Crabgrass

Something I notice right off the bat is that the colors have been tweaked from their previous versions. This is probably because newspapers have a limited range of colors they can print.

Also I forgot to mention it but the newspapers I picked up this morning were $3 a pop for an absolutely tiny amount of paper (about 12 double-sided sheets in total). Christ, newspapers really are dying aren't they?

Big Nate is sticking around but now that I have an idea what it's about I want to run the recent stuff for a bit and see how well it compares. We can do a power run of the old strips down the line at some point if people are craving it that badly.

Incredible comedic wit. Already love that I'm potentially committing to years of posting this.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 9-10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 13-14, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Transmodiar posted:

How dare you use this as an opportunity to sneak Candorville into this thread.

Yes, I see... Fascinating. I wonder what would happen if I...

Candorville

I kid of course, I would never do that to myself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 13-14, 1991)

These are both great

So is crabgrass

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

*Desdemona From "On The Circle Of Life"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
For how much longer can blind alley drag out Kenny watching the surveillance footage? Or the dog and the hobo bindle making their way to wherever, or the feral child also doing whatever they're doing

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ E: Honestly I think it's fine. The focus is supposed to be on the mundane slice of life stuff with the weird bits being a slow buildup in the background designed to create a weird tone. It's not trying to be a rip roaring adventure. I think the real problem is more that the pace of new pages is once or twice a week which makes things feel more dragged out than they would if you were reading this in a book collection. This is only page 118 which would be less than 4 months of traditional newspaper strips for context. We've actually covered a lot of ground plot-wise all things considered.

Something else I notice about the newspapers I picked up is that there was literally no mention of the new strip in it anywhere. It struck me as odd because if another media service like Netflix had a new series or something out it would be all over the front page to give potential new subscribers a reason to join. No, it doesn't surprise me that that a newspaper doesn't operate like a streaming service, but... maybe it would be a good idea if they did? At least a little?

If the news alone isn't enough to attract readers and advertisers to your print versions then maybe you should pump up and elevate the content people can't get (as easily) online? And not just comics either, start adding puzzles, poems, and short stories from popular genre writers and poo poo. Get gimmicky and weird so that people have a reason to actually pick the paper up every day. Yeah, you may end up with an entertainment zine with a news section but at least it might be self-sustaining and not need billionaire money to operate.

Damnit now I actually want to go and make this happen. If only I had a few hundred grand to spare...

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 28, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's like, where do you even look for news about the newspaper itself?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I took my last newspaper job in 2003, we were a smaller midsize paper with a daily circulation around 65k.

If you transported that same paper to 2022, we'd be in the top 20 nationally.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 27, 1919

And He Did! July 10, 1919

Cat Tales June 11, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 5, 1936

Mopsy February 15, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out June 21, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 26, 1952

Those Were the Days June 22, 1961

Wee Pals August 29, 1966

Dogbert June 20, 1967

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

readingatwork posted:

^^^ E: Honestly I think it's fine. The focus is supposed to be on the mundane slice of life stuff with the weird bits being a slow buildup in the background designed to create a weird tone. It's not trying to be a rip roaring adventure. I think the real problem is more that the pace of new pages is once or twice a week which makes things feel more dragged out than they would if you were reading this in a book collection. This is only page 118 which would be less than 4 months of traditional newspaper strips for context. We've actually covered a lot of ground plot-wise all things considered.

The primary effect for me is that whenever I see it in the thread I don't have the slightest clue what's going on, and the sparseness of both style and appearance don't provide a lot to actually hook into my memory.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

If this ends with Sally's workplace unionizing because of Alice's toxic leadership, I'll be thrilled.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

ukonvasara posted:

The primary effect for me is that whenever I see it in the thread I don't have the slightest clue what's going on, and the sparseness of both style and appearance don't provide a lot to actually hook into my memory.

same here; i started following the thread again a few months ago and while its taken me a bit to grok the john allison strip bonanza where it switches storylines every couple days i at least am starting to get an idea of three or four sub-stories, but whatever blind alley is parses as incomprehensibly as frank bolle's apartment 3g

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom
Even the Phantom himself is sick of this poo poo. How long has Mozz been telling this story for now?

MyronMulch posted:

In the American south-east, going outside barefoot was (and maybe still is) a great way to get hookworm, a parasite that attaches to your small intestine and sucks your blood and eventually makes you stupid. So not completely far-fetched that it's something kids might ask permission to do in the Family Circus Universe.
And yet Americans talk about Australia being full of terrifying wildlife. Oh no, you might see a spider! A spider won't burrow into your intestine (via your foot!?) and live there.

readingatwork posted:

If the news alone isn't enough to attract readers and advertisers to your print versions then maybe you should pump up and elevate the content people can't get (as easily) online? And not just comics either, start adding puzzles, poems, and short stories from popular genre writers and poo poo. Get gimmicky and weird so that people have a reason to actually pick the paper up every day. Yeah, you may end up with an entertainment zine with a news section but at least it might be self-sustaining and not need billionaire money to operate.
I've had similar thoughts myself. I know people who still buy newspapers, and they buy them for the crosswords (and, to a lesser extent, the comics and other puzzles). They get their news on their phones like everyone else.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 1-3, 1922; spoilered over the standard issues.)

Toonerville Folks (July 17-19, 1919)

The possibility of long-haul flights by dirigible was very much in the news in July 1919. The British R-34 was the first lighter-than-air craft (and the second aircraft of any kind) to successfully complete a trans-Atlantic flight on July 6th.

Dok's Dippy Civil Servant (March 24, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 3-6, 1936)

Time got tight, so Blondie tomorrow.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Comic thread 2022 - Pants! Bah!

Tiggum posted:

And yet Americans talk about Australia being full of terrifying wildlife. Oh no, you might see a spider! A spider won't burrow into your intestine (via your foot!?) and live there.
For what it's worth, there's a lot of places (mostly tropical) with parasites you can get from walking around barefoot. Hookworm specifically is found on several continents(mostly asia, africa, and south america, but there's some in the southerly bits of north america too). And that's not even thinking of all non-parasite poo poo(both literal and not) you don't want to step in.

There's a reason most people in developed countries wear shoes whenever we go outside.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

:bubblewoop: Hooray for Crabgrass' triumphant return! :bubblewoop:

Slammy posted:

GFY, Beeman

Oh my god this whole conversation they've been having is so embarrassing

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics
Honestly Annie is doing nothing for me(the ambient racism isn't helping at all) but I'm going to stick it out at least till the end of this arc. At least the blatant-pandering-to-contemporary-concerns factor is amusing.

The paper I'm grabbing these from puts their recipes in the "weekender" Saturday addition to the paper. Recipes vary from blagh(gelatin :argh:) to honestly pretty alright(protip: recipes for baked goods are timeless).

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double G-Men edition)

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh my god this whole conversation they've been having is so embarrassing

"I should dress like a Greek goddess?"

"Let's just start with not borrowing clothes from Gunther."

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, I think this one deserves a higher res version - click through for original size.

Vater & Sohn: The greatest adventure

I hope you enjoyed this classic of German comics history. I don't think that's too much to say - just yesterday I browsed my local bookstore and spotted two more new collected editions. At any rate, thanks for reading along!

Thanks for sharing it!

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2e0wHbgIQ8

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Obligatory "shut the gently caress up Beeman" post.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales June 11, 1925

Must be the Midvale School for the Gifted.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Must be the Midvale School for the Gifted.

Not so loud, Larson might hear you and DMCA Jeffrey over the sanctity of ~*his children*~ again

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Stop saying “muse” you goddamn dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

--

...the hell does the department of Health have to do re. crimes?