Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

It's not even the punch lines: Mooby dick and "older" woman are both amazing

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Antigravitas posted:

And now for something completely different.

The Lustiges Taschenbuch (LTB in short) is a series of German comic book collections, published each month since 1967. It consists primarily of Donald Duck comics by European artists.

I am primarily drawing from r/ltb_iel because I can't be arsed to scan them myself. Translations are mine. Might also contain Carl Barks and Don Rosa even though they rarely get published in LTB.

A device to smile permanently, so nobody realises how I feel.

Fare well, oh wretched world! I shall drown my sorrows in the depth of the sea!

Always these hollow promises

Everyone should have a million! Then nobody would have to work.

Excuse me? I'm supposed to sleep outside in wind and weather?

Why, no! Why do you think bridges exist?

How does he do it, being happy in a dictatorship?

He is the dictator.

Are you alone today, Mr. Duck?

Alone with my sorrows.

I will pay for all damages…

Slow down! And what about the violations of the law?

…and I will donate a significant sum to the police!

That significantly changes the situation!

I can't believe it! The government finally cares about us poor, afflicted billionaires!

Sigh! And I've been working for two weeks so the kids can go on holidays!

By the way, how much pay does my Nephew expect of me?

We had agreed on 100 Taler, hadn't we?

If you read something useful from time to time you'd know that…

…your debts inevitably eat your salary, my friend, hehe!

(He's reading the Book of Laws for the Clever Exploiter)

When will you return?

As soon as I have rid humanity from the plight of work. Take care!

We no longer want to the slaves of Capital!

Precisely! Bravo!

Am I being fooled by a spectre? (Hard to translate, but yes, that spectre)

"Or I could become an astronaut and go on a one-way voyage to the stars"

"Lastly, only the foreign legion remains as an option"

All of that seems more pleasant than looking reality in the eye!

You mean, if I stop destroying the environment, it's a good investment in the future of my business?

Uncle Donald terrorises us. Are we going to put up with this?

Never! Where injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty! (This quote is misattributed to Berthold Brecht, but its origins are unclear)

What is going on? People must consume! That is a matter of survival for us businessmen!

Pretty crazy, those rich people! Despite having everything they are constantly on the quest for more!

Those poor people!

In essence:

I suddenly feel called to Revolution!

Oh dear.

please more of this

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Graveyard Quest
Part 2.2

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 06: 24-31 of 31

Qualia the Purple
Episode 07: 1-10 of 42

We're on to the second volume! This extra long chapter has to reintroduce the cast for returning readers, and move them quite a ways into their new status quo...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ikanreed posted:

It's not even the punch lines: Mooby dick and "older" woman are both amazing

"WTF? Who's interrupting my incest?" is one of the all-time great quotes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m liking Qualia the Purple quite a lot. Hope these girls get a happy ending together

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a funny panels thread FYI.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I love those last three panels. The pause makes it.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

trapped mouse posted:

I love those last three panels. The pause makes it.

Ray just taking a moment to realize he's proud of Little Nephew's hustling.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guess what!!! hell was full

In a piss state of mind it seems

gasp!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1541584537586728961

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rare Agrigas AV potential here

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat, zoo staff really *do* have massive upper body strength!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Did his computer kill itself because he brought it flowers? I'm confused.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

rydiafan posted:

Did his computer kill itself because he brought it flowers? I'm confused.

The come into the light bit seems to imply they had never met before, so the server killed itself once it realized the horror of Ronnie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, zoo staff really *do* have massive upper body strength!

I was curious, because Ronnie's drawn really short there but he's also spherical so I wondered about how much he weighed. I did some napkin math making a lot of assumptions about his height and density, but still probably in the neighborhood of 800lbs.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
His dad is Santa though so he's probably much lighter than he looks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sphere is the lightest and softest shape. SCIENCE FACT.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah jellyfish are soft and weigh practically nothing so I think we can lock in that science fact right now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Yeah jellyfish are soft and weigh practically nothing so I think we can lock in that science fact right now.

Bowling balls are not though. So jellyfish are bowling balls.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sphere is the lightest and softest shape. SCIENCE FACT.

Also the most shameful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yaffle posted:

Also the most shameful.

Look at this goober who hasn't been in SHAME CUBE.

If a bowling ball was, say, a rectangular shape, it would weigh more than ten bowling balls.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Look at this goober who hasn't been in SHAME CUBE.

I thought the shame cube was installed around you to protect others from seeing your shameful spherical shape?

See, the person curls into a sphere and then the SHAME CUBE descends around them.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Jun 28, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Push El Burrito posted:

Bowling balls are not though. So jellyfish are bowling balls.

I'm fairly certain Ronnie is canonically soft, negating this line of reasoning

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

"ChubbyChecker" posted:

Normies: play retro games
"Creatives": be incredibly racist fucksticks

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/888231164665884672?t=Oa7X7rqAgW8GgO8hPZkAEA&s=19

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ChubbyChecker posted:

creative people

Luckily, there's a Youtube video of all this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_O-xq1mp4

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

the rare good trans joke

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

For the benefit of readers outside of North America, I based this on a series on the cable network VH-1 called Behind The Music. I always thought it was such a bad show, mostly because it jumped around and played fast and loose with context, and very rarely featured the people the documentary was about.

I also want to make sure that it's clear that I have used some creative license in my depiction of Chris. Before he sends his cadre of elite Texas lawyers after me, I want to state for the record that Chris is actually nowhere near as tall as Frohman, nor is he bald. The rest, well duh, of course THAT part is true.

Because Chris also let me write the notes this week, I am offering a one-time interactive participation opportunity for Concerned readers. The way I figure it, why should I be the only one screwing around with the Google ad seeds? Just go to this page on my site, and enter your suggestions! I will pick some of the best ones and include them in the Notes on Friday's extra-long comic extravaganza. We'll teach Chris a lesson about giving out the keys to the house!

By the way, I'm not doing this on my site to linkwhore, but A) I don't want to spoil Friday's ad search results in any way, B) I don't want to spam up Chris' forums with this, and C) I have a script that is collecting everything for me. I don't recommend going to my site for the exciting, thrilling, and funny content, because is just ain't there.NOTE: Over the past 12 hours or so I have gotten a ton of suggestions. I'm going to go through them and pick out the best ones. Thanks for participating!

Despite my week here having been subjected to floccinaucinihilipilification, I've had fun doing it. (Ha, fit it in right off the bat!) I really want to thank Chris for this opportunity, and you all for putting up with me. It was a really fun exercise for me, as I had never really done a comic before, and it was interesting to try it out. I learned a lot, and I do appreciate all the feedback. I had finished all three before Chris left last week, and I didn't really change them as the week went on. So I'll take all the advice and use some of it next time.

First off, I left this open-ended for two reasons. I wanted to leave the idea available for a later fill-in, or even if Chris wants to take it. The second reason, and the larger one, I overwrote. I had this outline that when I tried to storyboard it out, came out to another week's worth of stuff. And not all of it really worked out as far as looking good or fitting into the story well, so off it went.

For the fiance, I wanted it to be a non-HL character, and after poking around at facepunch, I decided to just stick with grabbing from another game. Problem is, I play Horde characters, and while an Undead or Troll would be kinda funny, I kept it simple. So if anyone is on the Lightbringer server, say hi to my brother's rogue, Carloota. I don't think he knows I borrowed her, so it'll be a good surprise for him.

Now, down to business. Screwing around with the ads. I got almost 300 posts, with over 1100 words suggested. Monkeys, of course, were the most common, but I'm leaving them out because I want something different. Unique. Exciting. Something really embarrassing for Chris while provising amusement to me. "floccinaucinihilipilification" was one submission, and a challenge was thrown down to fit it in. So, Whitt, in yo face Space Coyote.

(Below this point will be senseless rambling. You won't miss anything if you just stop reading here)

Instead of just listing them, I'm going to try and make some into a paragraph. Now I'm sure that the hoi polloi will not really appreciate this attempt. I have gotten praise, criticism, and a threat to be assaulted with exploding clowns. One person even wanted to defenestrate me.

Aw the hell with this, I'm too tired and late posting the comic, so I'm just gonna list some of my favorites. First, though, honorable mention goes to someone named David, who submitted "Jewish Koalas sell poker insurance." I keep laughing at that for no good reason. Thanks! "Quadratic pencil" gave me algebra flashbacks, so I wish some kind of painful itchy rash on whoever sent that. Zompist sent "toy boat", which is my favorite tongue twister. He gets to live. Speaking of boats, there is no Magical Hovercraft picture today. I had an idea for one, but was distracted by whoever it was that submitted "nipple reduction". "Death, Famine, Pestilence, War and Clancy (his daughter)" was also appreciated, as was "structural penetration" which I believe is still an illegal act in Georgia.

There was also the guy who spammed me with thirty entries for "yiff". I hate you. I also think I hate whoever submitted "fanny batter" but I need clarification from someone in Great Britain to be sure.

There were also a lot of entries for buccaneers, practitioners of the art of ninjitsu, and the guy who played Walker, Texas Ranger. You people need to stop, or be stopped. Once the army is done in Iraq, I want them sent after you all.

And the word to get spammed in here was chosen at random from a bunch of single-word submissions. The word? Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics. Acrobatics.

Let's see how this all ends up.

Huge thanks to Joe for keeping the comic alive with his three "Behind the Comic" guest strips while I was on a ten day whirlwhind tour of five states and roughly 700,000 relatives, many whose names I still don't know. Anyway, I'm back.

The antlion in today's comic is named after one of the forum members who won a little G-Mod posing contest on the board a while back -- that was the lame prize I came up with. Congratulations! See, I didn't forget.

And, if all goes as planned, you should be able to start preloading Half-Life 2: Episode One today. Preloading via Steam is neat, because when the game is released, you get to play it more or less immediately. Not so neat is realizing that the game is sitting on your computer, more or less ready to play, for weeks before it's unlocked. It's like having a big Christmas present in November, just sitting on your desk, cloaked in some sort of tamper-proof wrapping paper, and about once a week the package gets a little bigger and more enticing. Anyone who preloaded the original HL2 knows what I'm talking about. Here we go again.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
got drat Joe liked to use a lot of words

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought the shame cube was installed around you to protect others from seeing your shameful spherical shape?

It's to keep you from gnawing at your own body and its a cone

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There was also the guy who spammed me with thirty entries for "yiff". I hate you.

Okay that's bullshit, I know for a fact I only sent it in once

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

flavor.flv posted:

Okay that's bullshit, I know for a fact I only sent it in once

Did you forgot to uncheck "Sent thirty times"? Such an annoying feature.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

e-dt posted:

Hold on I can't talk I'm getting Friends rammed down my throat

Gordo's Aviators went for $4600

I have some rice that Dennis Quaid did not want to buy L@@K

I love every strip where Ray interacts with computers. Looking forward to the secret rich person eBay if it hasn't come up yet.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Kaoru Mori is an absolute beast at inking, and A Bride’s Story (Otoyomegatari) is her solo masterpiece: an incredibly well-researched journey through mid-19th century Central Asia through the vehicle of one Henry Smith, a British scholar travelling the Silk Road. So while it’s a slow paced read that’s pretty different from the fare usually posted here, and may be a lot different from any Japanese comics you've read before if you're only familiar with the super powered/fighty genres, I hope the art will win your hearts over. I’ll just be posting some standalone sequences and short stories from the current 13 volumes. Now sit back, grab a historically accurate teapot and let’s take a break with some carpentry lessons.

Read right to left:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

That's nigh unbelievable

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kaoru Mori is great, though all I've read from her so far are Emma and Shirley. Gonna skip the Bride's Story posts here, only because I might want to read the whole thing from the start myself eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm enjoying Qualia the Purple, although the writer's/translator's insistence on only referring to the two leads as ''friends'' is pretty funny.