Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
In Tribute they claim they sang the best song in the world to defeat the devil, however Beezleboss is not just not the best song in the world, it's hardly a song at all, they mostly just talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

In Tribute they claim they sang the best song in the world to defeat the devil, however Beezleboss is not just not the best song in the world, it's hardly a song at all, they mostly just talk.

Two separate incidents.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Tribute is just a random demon. beelzeboss is the actual Devil with a capital D.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original version of Tribute had Kyle playing a little of the opening to Stairway to Heaven when referencing the greatest song in the world.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

The original version of Tribute had Kyle playing a little of the opening to Stairway to Heaven when referencing the greatest song in the world.

's tribute.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Umbrella Academy S3: Why does everyone keep trying to touch the giant ball of lava??

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i mean, wouldn't you

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

With a marshmallow on the end of a long stick, maybe.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I saw a trailer for the Buzz Lightyear movie and it said something like... in 1995 Andy watched a movie. THIS IS THAT MOVIE. Then it goes on to show CG that looks on par with, say, movies in 2022 and absolutely wasn't happening in 1995, you stupid loving movie.

Admittedly I haven't seen the movie, but nothing about it leaves me thinking that it's supposed to be a movie anyone, whether in Andy's fictional world or ours could have seen in 1995.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They should have committed and made the special effects look like 1995 special effects. Like the movie looks modern and such but when Buzz gets on his spaceship it switches to look like original toy story

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

credburn posted:

I saw a trailer for the Buzz Lightyear movie and it said something like... in 1995 Andy watched a movie. THIS IS THAT MOVIE. Then it goes on to show CG that looks on par with, say, movies in 2022 and absolutely wasn't happening in 1995, you stupid loving movie.

Admittedly I haven't seen the movie, but nothing about it leaves me thinking that it's supposed to be a movie anyone, whether in Andy's fictional world or ours could have seen in 1995.

Andy in toy story is a CGI person living in a CGI world. Lightyear for him was the equivalent of a live action movie for us not an animated movie and had top of the line practical effects.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It isn't the nostalgia fapfest I showed up for!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's not the movie Andy saw. he saw some lovely 90s one that probably started Tim Allen. This is Andy seeing Ninja Turtles in 1990 and getting a toy ninja turtle, then 27 years later whattaya know another Ninja Turtles movie with the same turtles and new voices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney's approach to the whole timeline thing, let alone that people actually remember and like the Buzz Lightyear cartoon they tried to bury because of stupid office politics, has been more or less to gawp and sputter nonsense.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

theironjef posted:

It's not the movie Andy saw. he saw some lovely 90s one that probably started Tim Allen. This is Andy seeing Ninja Turtles in 1990 and getting a toy ninja turtle, then 27 years later whattaya know another Ninja Turtles movie with the same turtles and new voices.

No; specifically the trailer for the movie says this is the movie Andy saw in 1995; not a movie 27 years later.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney's approach to the whole timeline thing, let alone that people actually remember and like the Buzz Lightyear cartoon they tried to bury because of stupid office politics, has been more or less to gawp and sputter nonsense.

I mean I'm not a purist and truthfully I don't care. It's just that, when I saw that text, I thought, "Oh, I thought this was a new movie starring that character but actually it's a '1995s era film' throwback, that could be really interesting" but the very next frame proved it to just be marketing or something.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The countdown timer during the final sequence of Mission Impossible: Fallout was 15 minutes, but the entire thing took more like 22. come on, filmmakers. :colbert:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arrath posted:

The countdown timer during the final sequence of Mission Impossible: Fallout was 15 minutes, but the entire thing took more like 22. come on, filmmakers. :colbert:

I actually remember timing the countdown in Aliens following the P.A. announcements, and it was pretty drat close 1:1.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Yeah, a few more recent movies I can recall at least noting in my head to keep track of a countdown timer. Can't recall the movie but I do remember they kept it on track.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Kramdar posted:

Yeah, a few more recent movies I can recall at least noting in my head to keep track of a countdown timer. Can't recall the movie but I do remember they kept it on track.
The one I recall was the most recent Suicide Squad. Not a timer specifically, but they do a flashback with an "8 minutes earlier" caption and sure enough the flashback was exactly 8 minutes long.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I had a friend who would hold his breath whenever anybody went underwater in a movie to see how long they could last. I've kind of developed the same habit.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

Easily explainable in that scenes you’re seeing are happening at the same time, but they aren’t showing them in split screen or whatever. Like when you see Benji and Ilsa are liking through the tents that’s happening at the same time Ethan is trying to drop the payload on the other helicopter.

Or whatever that’s just how I explain it to myself

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Keromaru5 posted:

I had a friend who would hold his breath whenever anybody went underwater in a movie to see how long they could last. I've kind of developed the same habit.

The Abyss is great for this.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Easily explainable in that scenes you’re seeing are happening at the same time, but they aren’t showing them in split screen or whatever. Like when you see Benji and Ilsa are liking through the tents that’s happening at the same time Ethan is trying to drop the payload on the other helicopter.

Or whatever that’s just how I explain it to myself

The way around this is to just not have a countdown. I always thought it was neat how in Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster/Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, the self-destruct button is on a column that gradually lowers as it gets closer to detonation. That way you can track how close your imminent death is without wondering if the countdown timer's accurate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The countdown in Alien was mindblowing when it happened. Yes I am old enough that I saw it in theatres (I was 8 or 9, and had to sneak in).

Ripley gets all the self-destruct thingies back into the control box with half a second to spare as everyone in the audiences sits there watching this tired old trope knowing how it ends.

Then the countdown continues as Ripley and the audience lose their poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Predator is coming to mind where the self-destruct bomb has a timer in a totally alien style. (and yet still in LCD style display)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And much like Star Wars' Aurabesh, Yautja is an alphabet/numeral system that tracks directly to what we use in English:

Vertically-paired asterisks is an interesting take on segmented displays, for sure

stringless has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Jun 28, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That makes me realize that if cuneiform had survived to the present era, it would have been really easy to make led text displays

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Maybe with deliberate and major adaptation, but acute triangles where directionality matters would have been way more difficult to adapt than our line-based system

(Not gonna pretend these are 100% accurate, of course, given how unlikely it is that any cuneiform systems hit 1:1 on English letters like that)

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Jun 28, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, here we go, phonemes. (Copied out of this article that references actual authorities on cuneiform)

Try that on a segmented display lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of those look a lot more complicated than most writing systems we're used to. But then again, maybe an ancient Sumerian might find our writing system incomprehensibly overcomplicated.

Though back in the day, only a tiny percentage of the population would even be literate. I do wonder if you can track the wider spread of literacy to the development of simpler writing systems. Heck, China literally did that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I remember a segment in one of the Discworld books where an Asian-coded leader got super frustrated about the calligraphy skill and time it took to craft a word of a poem taking as much time as it took an Ankh-Morpork poet to complete an entire poem

Vaguely recall studies showing that, regardless of syllable pace, languages mostly communicate at the same rate. Not true of writing systems. And Ithkuil is an outlier but it was constructed to be an outlier.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

The Abyss is great for this.

I did it for the underwater scene in alien 4 when I was like 8 and it instilled in me a lifelong fear of drowning.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of those look a lot more complicated than most writing systems we're used to. But then again, maybe an ancient Sumerian might find our writing system incomprehensibly overcomplicated.

Though back in the day, only a tiny percentage of the population would even be literate. I do wonder if you can track the wider spread of literacy to the development of simpler writing systems. Heck, China literally did that.
I guess it depends on how you define "simple." Chinese still, after all, has thousands of characters. My guess is, one of the bigger contributors would probably be the introduction of cheap and abundant paper, pens, and ink, when you no longer had to carve into a block or kill a sheep to find something to write on. After that, from all the research I've been looking up for one of my classes, it seems like what really makes the difference is solid training on handwriting.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Bear on Hulu was pretty good. If you've seen Shameless it's basically what if Lip wound up being a world class chef and took over a sandwich shop in Chicago. It's well written, well acted and I really enjoyed it all the way up to the end. They struggle the whole first 7 episodes with getting along, forming a team, Carm struggles with money issues and what to do. Finally, by episode 7 it seems like they've gelled and are turning things around and building something.

Then surprise! Hey we found all this money all our problems are solved lets shut down the sandwich shop and turn it into a different place. Except the whole season there's little jabs and comments about how the neighborhood is changing because developers are coming in and putting in new high priced stuff and shutting out the little guy. The sandwich shop is one of the last holdouts in the neighborhood for the lifers that have been there, it's a community staple.

Then they....just shut it down when they find a bunch of money? wtf.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Guy selling drugs and or guns: Before we start.You got teh money?

Protagonist: *flaps a single measley money clip* Yah. I do.

Like I'm sorry but you're not even gunna set the bare minimum price or ask how much they're carrying? Or even imply 'yeah nah cheapest we got is 1k /pound of Hyper Coke / Generic Shooty Gun, you better have more in your rear end pocket baby.'???

[I'm watching The Guest 2014 btw, though this is applicable to many other movies too. And ok I spoke too soon for this movie but whatever I'm here to complain!!!!]

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Dr Strange 2, why can Wanda send out various monsters and such into parallel universes, but not herself?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Regarding The Bear, none of that season made sense except for it being a prologue to another show they wanted to make, but didn't think they couldn't do from the start (like we needed to have the character development beat over our head). My wife loved it, but only because she loves Lip. But after the spoilered stuff happened (and with no hinting in previous episodes), that all I could think to justify that deus ex machina was this was again just a big set up to the real show they want to do.

The real irrational thing about the show is the made-up vintage arcade game having that big enough following to draw that crowd for a tournament.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

In Dr Strange 2, why can Wanda send out various monsters and such into parallel universes, but not herself?

Her powers always scale to the plot. Like how she can seal Black Bolts mouth shut enough for him blow up his own head but needs to fight Captain Carter hand by hand. So she can reshape reality but only a bit when it's convenient

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My IIMM with The Bear is Smoque being mentioned in the same breath as Alinea and Avec. It's just a barbecue joint.

Also a River North location is probably not attracting a working class clientele or having drug deals outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah the regional stuff I def wouldn't catch. It was easy with Shameless because I'd recognize all the LA locations immediately since they only filmed a chunk of each season actually in Chicago.