Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Has anyone here tried the Pro Acryl paint line yet? It looks pretty good from what I've seen so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yes, it's pretty good and the pigments hold up well even when thinning down really far. The coverage is good for almost all of the colors I've tried and they often just need a single decent coat even with thinning.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

mllaneza posted:

Getting poo poo in your lungs is cumulative.

I always wet sand resin, keeps the particulates out of the air.

S.J. posted:

Has anyone here tried the Pro Acryl paint line yet? It looks pretty good from what I've seen so far

Yeah I have a full set of pro-acryl and I really dig them, the solid colors have great coverage and go on very smooth, even the whites. The metallics are all really good, the silvers and gunmetals are not as good as Vallejo Metal Colors, but they have a full range of golds, coppers and bronze.
The only thing I don't like about them is the twist caps, but Monument sells compatible flip caps for a couple bucks so I recommend getting those.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

S.J. posted:

I bought a single paint, some nice purple, since I was buying paint brushes anyways

it's a little too tall vs my speedpaint bottles so it doesn't fit on my current paint shelf I made.

As for the paint, I haven't tried it, but it looks like it'll be good. Maybe I'll make this free warhammer mini I got from the warhammer store, a chaos space marine, with the "Dark Purple" and some silver filigree, just because.

I also got their mold-line scraper just because, and it's okay? I'd have sharpened the edges up a bit but it works fine.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

I've heard people having issues of it coming off when using oil paints over it, so caveat being that it'll need a gloss varnish first before any oil work.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Pro Acryl white is amazing. Never using GW white again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

S.J. posted:

I've been using Pro Acryl for a while now as my "premier" paint to break out for some stuff (when I'm out of a Citadel paint or I need something smoother) and it is absolutely the top paint I've found. The base set is phenomenal, the reds, greens, and blues all as rich as Citadel's(imo) top paints i.e. Mephiston Red/Macragge Blue/most greens. The blacks, purples, and white are all great, too. (Sadly I don't think their Yellow in the base set was any better than most.) They've been expanding with even more shades and special colors---already on expansion 4 or so---though you can choose paints a la carte and they come in much bigger dropper bottles with a ball inside already. If you want a cheaper "contrast" alternative for shading they also have a Transparent line, and I've used the Transparent Brown/Orange/Yellow for a year now for things like hair, fire effects, lava, etc constantly just because of how good the coverage is.They are absolutely worth the cash to order; cannot recommend them highly enough.

Additionally, the metallic pack they sell is loving fantastic. Their Dark Silver alone is probably one of the finest metallic paints I have ever used in my life---absolutely buy at least that one, if you're going to get only one thing off their site.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Finally getting around to painting my Veteran Guardsmen from Octarius, trying out zenithal priming + contrast paints for the first time (only regular paint used is VMC exhaust manifold):

Of course after taking the photo I can see I missed a bunch of spots but speed was the point. I’m mostly just happy I actually hit the freaking metal rims around the eye lenses without getting silver everywhere.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

SetSliRol posted:

Is there a good and easy to follow guide on painting skin and fabric? I'm fairly new to mini painting and those have been my biggest roadblocks so far, but every guide or video I watch just goes completely over my head for one reason or another, and it just doesn't feel like it's clicking.

it's lazy site but SpeedPaint Crusader Skin over matt white doesn't look half bad

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

Finally getting around to painting my Veteran Guardsmen from Octarius, trying out zenithal priming + contrast paints for the first time (only regular paint used is VMC exhaust manifold):

Of course after taking the photo I can see I missed a bunch of spots but speed was the point. I’m mostly just happy I actually hit the freaking metal rims around the eye lenses without getting silver everywhere.

Very nice, which colors are on the coat? I like the two tones and have been hoping to do the same thing on my guardsmen

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Painted up a town guard from Broken Anvil

I ran out of grey resin so I printed this one in a translucent one and, man, the only difference I know of between that resin and what I had before is that this one is clear, but those print lines seem WAY worse.

I got some different resin a few days ago and the test prints look and feel a good bit smoother than the ones I printed in the translucent green, so I printed out a few of the same minis and I'll see how if it's different.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Booyah- posted:

Very nice, which colors are on the coat? I like the two tones and have been hoping to do the same thing on my guardsmen

The blue main part of the coat is 2 coats of 1:1 Gryph Charger Grey/Contrast medium, and the pants and cuffs are 2 coats of 1:1 Basilicanum Grey/Contrast medium

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

Getting poo poo in your lungs is cumulative.

Yeah, my dad was doing a resin model and I had no clue about the safety issue. We actually did some cutting and poo poo without any masks. So I was terrified he did the sanding without one, thankfully he’s not an idiot and he did have one. I felt like a complete utter piece of poo poo for not thinking of it earlier…but thankfully he did.

It’s kind of weird though resin is the preferred thing for doing miniatures in terms of 3-D printing, but the actual models are all plastic. I guess it’s something to do with industrial plastic injection molding that just can’t in any way be done with an FDM 3-D printer, at least not yet. It’s just odd to me.

War and Pieces posted:

it's lazy site but SpeedPaint Crusader Skin over matt white doesn't look half bad

That poo poo is amazing and is a lifesaver for me. The only downside is just I’m not sure how to quite do other skin pigments yet with it. But seriously that thing made doing a face from being pure dread to pure ease.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It’s kind of weird though resin is the preferred thing for doing miniatures in terms of 3-D printing, but the actual models are all plastic. I guess it’s something to do with industrial plastic injection molding that just can’t in any way be done with an FDM 3-D printer, at least not yet. It’s just odd to me.

Resin printers are preferred for miniatures because Consumer level FDM printers can't come anywhere near the level of detail that a cheap resin printer can.
Injection molded plastic is used for mass production because once you produce the molds the unit cost becomes pennies per item.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Finally used my airbrush for something other than priming and base layers

This was a DR Fluorescent Blue ink over Liquitex Titanium White Ink

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That poo poo is amazing and is a lifesaver for me. The only downside is just I’m not sure how to quite do other skin pigments yet with it. But seriously that thing made doing a face from being pure dread to pure ease.

before I started pre-painting the SpeedPaint parts white got some pumpkin tones when I used it over my yellow primed models

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cross-posted from Malifaux thread. I found some tricks to combat my tremors. I picked up some new models and finally got my Speed Paints set, gave them a test run on a Gremlin. I'm not the best, or fastest, painter...but I got this guy done pretty quickly. One coat in most places, two on the pants. Had some issues with reactivation (you can especially see it where I tried to touch up the area around the eyes. I hit it with a spray varnish, and will attempt touch ups again later. Everything is speed paint over Citadel Corax White spray except the teeth (White Scar) and the belt buckle (Retributor Armour). All in all, I'm happy with it, and impressed with the paints. Going to run through the rest of Ophelia's crew today and make sure to give the paint plenty of time to dry between colors, maybe that will help with the reactivation.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I used Tamiya flat white for the first time yesterday, and it’s probably the best thing I’ve ever put through my air brush. I can thin it down to a super light glaze, spray it at like 15 psi, and it never gives me tip dry (LOOKING ANGRILY AT YOU CONTRASTS AND GW AIR PAINTS).

Anyone have experience with the rest of the tamiya range? Are the other flat colors as nice as the white? Why does GW air red splatter at every psi I try it at???

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tamiya paints are fantastic, very high pigment density, all of them thin well in my experience.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Gato The Elder posted:

I used Tamiya flat white for the first time yesterday, and it’s probably the best thing I’ve ever put through my air brush. I can thin it down to a super light glaze, spray it at like 15 psi, and it never gives me tip dry (LOOKING ANGRILY AT YOU CONTRASTS AND GW AIR PAINTS).

Anyone have experience with the rest of the tamiya range? Are the other flat colors as nice as the white? Why does GW air red splatter at every psi I try it at???

I've tried at few GW air paints recently (as opposed to just thinning the regular paints for the airbrush) and they have all sprayed in a more speckle pattern than any vallejo air stuff. There must be something about their medium, I don't remember the experience thinning a regular gw paint with vallejo thinner and flow improver to be particularly bad either which is odd.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm the first to admit that this is a godamn mess and I'll probably end up giving it a bath and trying again due to how badly the white caked on and the wash just made things dirty, I'm still having fun

Only been at this a week, mind you

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Daemon prince Ronald McDonald doing a Dio pose?

:hmmyes: keep at it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Silhouette posted:

Daemon prince Ronald McDonald doing a Dio pose?

This is a DALL-E prompt

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Eej posted:

This is a DALL-E prompt

I'm jumping Ronald making GBS threads out a third leg.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

what has science done

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I need to upgrade to a decent desk lamp. I was planning on getting an Ikea Tertial, but it's out of stock everywhere I looked. Anyone have another cheap-ish lamp recommendation? Amazon seems to have an endless variety of generic $20 clamp-on lamps.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 27, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Toebone posted:

I need to upgrade to a decent desk lamp. I was planning on getting an Ikea Tertial, but it's out of stock everywhere I looked. Anyone have another cheap-ish lamp recommendation? Amazon seems to have an endless variety of generic $20 clamp-on lamps.

After someone else recommended it here, I just put a couple of Globe Electric Architect desk lamps on my desk, and am very happy with them. There is both a version with a base and one that can be fixed to the desk with a clamp: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=globe+architect+desk+lamp&sprefix=globe+archi%2Caps%2C73&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Maneck posted:

After someone else recommended it here, I just put a couple of Globe Electric Architect desk lamps on my desk, and am very happy with them. There is both a version with a base and one that can be fixed to the desk with a clamp: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=globe+architect+desk+lamp&sprefix=globe+archi%2Caps%2C73&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Anyone have any good sets of free airbrush stencils? I have a cricut robot cutter thing + sticky vinyl and would love stuff for fantasy or sci-fi

Placentaur
Jan 17, 2009

Finished my first minis after like a decade away. Also I think it's the first full "squad" I've ever done (even though you can't really use them anywhere).

Really happy with my skeleton rainbow though, these are such cool sculpts. Also yeah I'm very open to critique if you can find anything with these bad, poorly lit photos!

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

TheSwizzler posted:

I'm the first to admit that this is a godamn mess and I'll probably end up giving it a bath and trying again due to how badly the white caked on and the wash just made things dirty, I'm still having fun

My advice to you is keep it and move on to the next mini. Trying to make a mini "perfect" only leads to madness no matter what skill level you are at.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Bought some half painted minis, wondering what the best way to strip them was.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Are they metal, plastic, or resin?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Bought some half painted minis, wondering what the best way to strip them was.

Putting them in a bath of undiluted pine sol or similar degreasing household cleaning soap for a while and then brushing them with a toothbrush works for most materials and paints. Acetone works even better on metal minis but will eat plastic minis. Methylated spirits works too, but smells more and there are some kinds of resins and plastics that don't like it a lot iirc.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Metal or plastic, the best stripping tool for paint (and your local environment) is Biostrip 20. Here's some marines I stripped from the Horus Heresy open day that were gunked up with primer.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Decided to try using my airbrush for something other than priming and base coats. Pretty pleased with it as a first try.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

a little OSL practice (which I hate)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thats cuuuute, the shadow directly under the lamp really sells it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Winklebottom posted:

It came out really well. The biggest problem with OSL is people either don't do enough or do too much. That's just the right amount of it. Great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

I love him