Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Samovar posted:

...the hell does the department of Health have to do re. crimes?
Yeah, I dunno - unless I'm really missing something, the Japanese is pretty unambiguously "ministry of social welfare, department of public health", but she'll detail on the next page that the crimes she's investigating are drugs, prostitution, gambling, and firearms, and they also impound illegally imported contraband animals? It might be a comment on "government ministry gradually expanding its remit", but I half expect it's an excuse to use the little heart / caduceus logo he made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm glad Crabgrass is live! :3:

I like ducks and also this video

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 23, 1951)

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Prince Valiant is an absolute joy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/26/02

Brenda Starr 1/9/49

Smokey Stover 10/3/48

Everyday Movies 4/24/35

"Quick, catch her, Daisy, before she gets to the beauty parlor and tell her he just phoned and can't make it tonight."

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey, remember way back when that one character (Buck, I think his name was) drank a giant milkshake and then pedaled his way out of a diabetic coma on a stationary bike? This guy needs to just walk off his coronary on a treadmill. He'll be fine.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Samovar posted:

...the hell does the department of Health have to do re. crimes?

Two words: "Mystery Meat"

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Somewhere, two-thirds of the US Supreme Court just grinned happily and they don't know why.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I am catching up from the last week but here:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Hey, remember way back when that one character (Buck, I think his name was) drank a giant milkshake and then pedaled his way out of a diabetic coma on a stationary bike? This guy needs to just walk off his coronary on a treadmill. He'll be fine.

I am diabetic and I've used exercise to lower my glucose more than once, so I don't really see the problem based on this description?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Pizza Grandiosa is a norwegian frozen pizza and it is both loved and hated in Norway. Eating it is something you feel deeply shameful about and yet you know you it won't be the last time you do it..
L-Innsikt

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

I don't like this new style here - is it permanent? I liked the early ones for their ersatz shitpost qualities.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
IMO the new style is much better (still not good). The faces actually look cartoony instead of just traced.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I don't like this new style here - is it permanent?

Yes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

So Olivia Jaimes is writing L-Innsikt now?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/9/49

We will adopt your baby.

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

I'm in for chibi-style L-Innsikt. Those big eyes remind me of the Campbell's Kids.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 17, 1934)

Peanuts (July 1, 1975)

How Tom Batiuk Thinks Millennials Talk

Crankshaft, in which the punchline is a broken healthcare system!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 27, 1939)

Out Our Way (April 13-15, 1939)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I am a big supporter of barefoot living, the only things I care about stepping on are broken glass, metal scraps and needles. But I live in the UK, our nature is docile and borderline comatose.

CommonShore posted:

I don't like this new style here - is it permanent? I liked the early ones for their ersatz shitpost qualities.

I agree with this. I didn't like it much in the first place and now it looks worse. Another one added to the mental skip over list.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

goatface posted:

I am a big supporter of barefoot living, the only things I care about stepping on are broken glass, metal scraps and needles. But I live in the UK, our nature is docile and borderline comatose.

Weather permitting, I prefer to do my walks in the forest preserve barefoot. It's really nice, and it actually helps a lot with a top-of-the-foot ache I was starting to get. (I'm in the US, but no, hookworm is not a concern unless you're in an area of nightmarish poverty where raw sewage just gets dumped out on the ground.)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 21, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
chicks love it when you belch in their face

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ellie the beep posted:

same here; i started following the thread again a few months ago and while its taken me a bit to grok the john allison strip bonanza where it switches storylines every couple days i at least am starting to get an idea of three or four sub-stories, but whatever blind alley is parses as incomprehensibly as frank bolle's apartment 3g

My problem with Blind Alley's mystery is it feels like wheel spinning

It genuinely doesn't feel like it's going anywhere and there's nothing to hook onto to like, imagine how it might go somewhere. There's...robot birds that show stuff and...............weird dreams..........and...........vague off screen stuff about the town that everyone goes oh no i have to tell everyone about it. Nothing feels connected and movement is minimal. There's slow burn mystery and then there's this.

The actual unrelated weird slice of life is mostly fine, I like the little arc with the not-Ness kid.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

rannum posted:

I've been mistaking this as Gasoline Alley and wondering who starting posting that strip again and if I missed some pages.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know, Heart may not be good in the setting up and executing a joke or any kind of narrative tension department, but putting a casual mom/daughter period chat in the newspapers counts for something.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am diabetic and I've used exercise to lower my glucose more than once, so I don't really see the problem based on this description?

I think we were foolishly hoping he'd suffer some more drastic consequences for his actions of "being told he's diabetic and needs to cut down lovely foods so he downs a huge gently caress off size milkshake and burger" than just "oop he got sleepy." I might be remembering wrong but I atleast wanted more consequences cuz Buck sucks. Not Wilbur level but sucks atleast as much as Rex does.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lunch (Attached because imgur is being a pissbaby again.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

It genuinely doesn't feel like it's going anywhere and there's nothing to hook onto to like, imagine how it might go somewhere. There's...robot birds that show stuff and...............weird dreams..........and...........vague off screen stuff about the town that everyone goes oh no i have to tell everyone about it. Nothing feels connected and movement is minimal. There's slow burn mystery and then there's this.

The actual unrelated weird slice of life is mostly fine, I like the little arc with the not-Ness kid.
:same:

It's been posted for what, a year? And so far it's been all foreshadowing and no payoff. I still read it because the slice of life stuff is cute, but the rest of it feels like the author had the broad strokes of an idea and figured they'd figure out the rest later(and never did).

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Good Listener posted:

I think we were foolishly hoping he'd suffer some more drastic consequences for his actions of "being told he's diabetic and needs to cut down lovely foods so he downs a huge gently caress off size milkshake and burger" than just "oop he got sleepy." I might be remembering wrong but I at least wanted more consequences cuz Buck sucks. Not Wilbur level but sucks at least as much as Rex does.

Thank you for explaining it better than I could. The whole was handled in such an over-the-top, hamfisted way (like, the writers were practically guaranteeing things would end badly the way they were foreshadowing everything), but Buck never did really have any serious repercussions.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Vikings

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know, Heart may not be good in the setting up and executing a joke or any kind of narrative tension department, but putting a casual mom/daughter period chat in the newspapers counts for something.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah, Blind Alley has us sold on the setting and the cast. Now do something with it, please! And if it must go in circles at least focus on the Vampire, the best and most delightful of the Blind Alleys.

Jucika "304 - Jucika At Last Heats Up!"

"305 - Jucika Doesn't Do Spring"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

What the gently caress would Tarzan even be in this universe?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How to tell the "geeky" and "in with the hip tech crowd" cartoonist last paid attention to anything in 1982: he name drops Bill Gates as a reference two hip tech kids would be into ITYOOL 2022.

Who the gently caress has even thought of Bill Gates in the last 20 years?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Who the gently caress has even thought of Bill Gates in the last 20 years?

Zyklon Ben.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Nostalgamus posted:

What the gently caress would Tarzan even be in this universe?
Human, considering that the hairy bunny ape child is also actually human too.