Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ConanThe3rd posted:

For as much as it's trying to be jokey jokes and everything Lower Decks' kinda has a feel to it.

Yeah it's the second best 21c. Trek that I've seen, even if it's a little too Pickle Rick sometimes it has genuine heart.

E: to not keep the Trek derail going - I hope y'all are ready to Get Vague

https://twitter.com/freddiejh8/status/1541722214420123648?t=0GuDR5mjIQg6aLmbm16wAw&s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Dabir posted:

I've been hearing Strange New Worlds is pretty good

It's extraordinarily excellent.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

It is amazingly good. It is the best Trek, some fans are even calling it better than DS9

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

In a rather anti 40k note I had a pleasant walk for my breakfast today.
In the pleasant twilight of the distant future, there is only breakfast walk. (nice photos)

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/freddiejh8/status/1541722214420123648?t=0GuDR5mjIQg6aLmbm16wAw&s=19
Can't wait to see what bold visions are laid out now that every leadership promise has been ditched. :nallears:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It is amazingly good. It is the best Trek, some fans are even calling it better than DS9

Let's not go mad here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That's a bit hard when one of the chaos gods is literally the blood god. If the other guys are the bloodiest regime possible then that's aspirational.

The Imperium is very much set up as a decaying, mundane mirror to the forces of Chaos - terrible repression versus terrible freedom. The parallels between servitors and Chaos Spawn are a particularly obvious example. If Chaos-worshippers can reach greater depths than worshippers of the Cult Imperialis, then they should equally be able to reach greater heights.

This also fits with Nemesis the Warlock, one of the early inspirations/sibling works for 40K, where the protagonist is an alien chaos sorcerer inspiring a rebellion against a racist, tyrannical human empire. He's himself a bit of a selfish, callous jerk, but he's also absolutely a force for good and a creator of genuine heroes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ConanThe3rd posted:

For as much as it's trying to be jokey jokes and everything Lower Decks' kinda has a feel to it.

Of all the new trek stuff Lower Decks has been the only one I've enjoyed. Most of the new stuff just didn't hit that Star Trek aesthetic, that optimistic view of the future, the commitment to resolving stuff peacefully (and actually succeeding), and a general "serious" tone. Lower Decks still strikes that optimistic view, and by being an actual comedy it can sidestep the tone issues.

I haven't seen strange new worlds yet, though, maybe it is better.

Re: Good chaos gods:

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 28, 2022

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Why even have a manifesto? Thats old politics. Lets run on a platform of having zero policies. Remember, the less policies you have, the less material the government has to attack you with, so how are they going to attack us when we stand for literally nothing?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

OzyMandrill posted:

I've been saying this for a while. Burnham has been setting up the long game for this. He's neatly sidestepped Brexit without getting poo poo on his shoes, and if he keeps murmuring the right things while Keith is kept rudderless, it's an easy win after the next election when Keith loses/lib dem - tory coalition rises once more.

E: So, Burnham needs to be an MP before trying for leader, so he needs an election. Boris is going to need an election to get the 22 lot off his back, much like Theresa tried, but it wont work due to his toxicity, but Keith wont get labour over the top either. I suspect Lib Dem fightback will deliver a Lib/Tory coalition if the election happens in the next 2 years. This will be massively supported by the media. After getting a seat from this, and Keith cocking it up, AB challenges for the lead and in this field I dont see anyone coming second. Blairites like him, the left can tolerate him cos he hasn't stabbed them yet, and then 2-3 years later after coalition collapses/the burning trash fire gets too much and there's now an acceptable opposition - then comes the next election and the switch to sensible Blair II : The Burnham Boogaloo.

Oh, sorry, Big mac meal please///

i mean i'll take anything at this point but burnham lost the leadership badly once and I've not seen anything from him that suggests he's changed that much.

he lost in 2015 becasue he was a rudderless suit who couldn't articulate a vision that distinguished him from two of the other candidates, the only thing that defined him at all was that he was not corbyn and even that was entirely corbyn separating himself rather than any positive statement on his part

maybe he's learnt a lesson but the second he comes off home turf i think he'll come unstuck. his big piece in the guardian (today?) basically sets out PR as his campaigning issue which really?? it's extremely popular with a small section who are unfortunately not a viable coalition and a settled question for everyone else.

if he wins it it'll be becasue no one else really wants it, which may very well be the case

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I am very keen to see how Burnham threads the needle between "the 2011 Alternative Vote referendum did not settle the question of PR" and "The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was a once in a generation event".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

In a rather anti 40k note I had a pleasant walk for my breakfast today.

I continue to find the general shape of north yorkshire settlements to be basically ideal, no room for improvement IMO.

Even more trees

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

Re: Good chaos gods:

"im not a wheat god!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a khorne cob

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Rustybear posted:

i mean i'll take anything at this point but burnham lost the leadership badly once and I've not seen anything from him that suggests he's changed that much.

he lost in 2015 becasue he was a rudderless suit who couldn't articulate a vision that distinguished him from two of the other candidates, the only thing that defined him at all was that he was not corbyn and even that was entirely corbyn separating himself rather than any positive statement on his part

maybe he's learnt a lesson but the second he comes off home turf i think he'll come unstuck. his big piece in the guardian (today?) basically sets out PR as his campaigning issue which really?? it's extremely popular with a small section who are unfortunately not a viable coalition and a settled question for everyone else.

if he wins it it'll be becasue no one else really wants it, which may very well be the case

Burnham benefitted from a similar thing to Mick Lynch: he had an opportunity to simply articulate a genuine grievance. He had the incredible PR good fortune to get terrible news about lockdowns live on television and react to it by just basically saying, “No. This is punitive.”

Take that away and he’s just a Blairite with Harry Palmer specs. Blairites without a Westminster accent are still Blairites.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Trickjaw posted:

It's extraordinarily excellent.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh no no no, not falling for this again.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I had very low expectations for SNW considering the car crashes that are Discovery and Picard. The characters are likeable and believable, and the actors aren’t overdramatic. Being episodic also means there isn’t a constant escalation of the stakes to ridiculous levels.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Reveilled posted:

I am very keen to see how Burnham threads the needle between "the 2011 Alternative Vote referendum did not settle the question of PR" and "The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was a once in a generation event".

AV was very much not PR though, it's a slightly fairer FPTP. Shouldn't even bother with a referendum imo, that's what a majority is for in the current system.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

AV was very much not PR though, it's a slightly fairer FPTP. Shouldn't even bother with a referendum imo, that's what a majority is for in the current system.

Sure, but I doubt Burnham would endorse that same logic from the SNP.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Failed Imagineer posted:

This was the plot of an episode of The Orville I watched last night. So far, The Orville is the most Trek show since Voyager ended

Hah, I watched that same episode yesterday too. I just started it while off sick, never watched a Star Trek but I like it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it's the second best 21c. Trek that I've seen, even if it's a little too Pickle Rick sometimes it has genuine heart.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Final Space felt like what Lower Decks was going for but couldn’t land for me.

Best modern trek is the Expanse obv

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Failed Imagineer posted:

'we're starting from scratch' is definitely the message you want to give to voters just as people are speculating the government is going to collapse/call a snap GE etc

just hang a big ol' gone fishing sign on Labour HQ

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Tbf the Tories basically had no manifesto and won on vibez (and no corbyns)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

I had very low expectations for SNW considering the car crashes that are Discovery and Picard. The characters are likeable and believable, and the actors aren’t overdramatic. Being episodic also means there isn’t a constant escalation of the stakes to ridiculous levels.

Oh thank God, Discovery and Picard are absolute laughable horseshit, as in I laughed out loud at how mindbendingly stupid Discovery was on more than one occasion.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
it's incredible the hooks tng and ds9 placed in my developing brain that even after voyager, enterprise, discovery, below decks and picard i'm still thinking: 'i guess i should check this out?'

fool me five times, shame on you...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2A2wDXYhEE

"I like science." - Spock

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

Hey, want to see the most incredible take?

legit surprised with the lack of ww2 references

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

Final Space felt like what Lower Decks was going for but couldn’t land for me.

Best modern trek is the Expanse obv

I love The Expanse, but it is nothing like any Trek past or present, except maybe they both have Crystalline Entities

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1541697952149807104

https://twitter.com/charlotterlynch/status/1541750591822651393

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Was the cameraman drunk when this was filmed?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gorn Myson posted:

Why even have a manifesto? Thats old politics. Lets run on a platform of having zero policies. Remember, the less policies you have, the less material the government has to attack you with, so how are they going to attack us when we stand for literally nothing?

notaspy posted:

Tbf the Tories basically had no manifesto and won on vibez (and no corbyns)

I came here to say this ^^^ tories had no manifesto to speak of (except for Get Brexshit Done) and what they did have they never mentioned and buried as much as possible. It's only 'the left' who ever have to give detailed manifestos with costs and details of exactly how they're going to do it.

In other news:

My adult niece (mid 30s) who has had 3 covid vaccines ('vulnerable' - can't remember which of her particular health issues put her in that class), has got covid and is really ill with it - says it's the worst 4 days of her life so far. The doc has been and they've given her steroids and deciding whether she needs to go into hospital or not.
This new covid variant is definitely knocking people out. My colleague (early 40s) also had it badly about 3 months ago having had 2 vaccines and covid last September. She was pretty ill for a couple of weeks.
I've noticed an uptick in mask-wearing in the shops again since I got back from France on the weekend.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Reveilled posted:

Could you blame them?

gently caress Discovery is so poo poo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reveilled posted:

More camera movement means more serious and mature and modern. Putting two actors in a scene and pointing the camera in a fixed direction as they act is so 1990s.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Reveilled posted:

You know how spaceships rock in solar winds, it makes you spacesick

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

More camera movement means more serious and mature and modern.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Could you blame them?

gently caress Discovery is so poo poo

The concept of a prequel show where everything looks massively more cutting edge & even has a secret new form of transportation that wasn't even used when the Federation faced the existential threat of The Dominion! Genius.

I'm unconvinced that there's anyone working in Hollywood who actually understands what makes Star Trek good.

Oor Nicola has confirmed it, we're running this poo poo back. 19th October 2023. Maybe. Depending on what the Supreme Court says. And how Boris reacts. Time for Coohoolin to return.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

Pike was the only good thing about Discovery,* because he was so relentlessly optimistic, even in the face of knowing what's inevitably going to happen to him. And not in an 'optimism = naive' way, but just forward looking, positive, willing to attempt peaceful negotiations kind of way that made TNG and TOS such enjoyable TV.

It was amazing seeing not only how a huge chunk of the fans rallied around him and went "Yes! This is the poo poo we want! Not grimdark prestige TV spinoff after spinoff!", but also how thankful Anson Mount was after the panning he got from nerd communities for Alphas and Inhumans.

Less so when opposing lunatic fringes assumed that people only liked him because he was white and male, and started posting like hell about it.

And then they launched BNW with pretty much no publicity (on their streaming service only I think), just so the network shitlords can say 'see, they didn't like it, back to grimdark bullshit I guess.'

* Well, Doug Jones as well.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 28, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isn't the whole point of Discovery that they discovered mushroom travel but due to circumstances no one else ever got to use it? Idk I dropped out after season 2.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

Isn't the whole point of Discovery that they discovered mushroom travel but due to circumstances no one else ever got to use it? Idk I dropped out after season 2.

Lasted longer than me. I assume that's where it was going but it was still loving dumb.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Should've waited to Scotland's best national holiday on the 31st for maximum 'nightmare for the union' vibes in the UK press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1541780199775272961?s=20&t=QmAj2tMBAQXYjp4PVRPCjQ

That cheering sound is coming from Tory HQ.