Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ups_rail posted:

um what the gently caress does that mean?

I think it’s also saying that the guy used his Mint Mobile phone to do it. Mint Mobile (mm) is a discount phone network mainly used by people who don’t have the kind of money to blow on monkey jpgs that get them into monkey themed parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Unperson_47 posted:

So how exactly do coiners who bring up the fact that there is a finite supply of Bitcoins internally rationalize the fact that bitcoins can be divided nearly infinitely? Unless this isn't the case and if it isn't, why couldn't they be infinitely dividable in the future?

A Bitcoin is made up of 100 million satoshis, but even if you wanted to transfer something as small as just one satoshi, you would still need to pay a transaction fee. In theory, when new mints dry up these transaction fees will be how miners are rewarded for solving new chains. It's all very stupid.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
So CoinFLEX, which paused withdrawals a few days ago, has a plan:

https://twitter.com/CoinFLEXdotcom/status/1541543358581116931

quote:

Dear CoinFLEX Community,

During the recent market volatility, a long-time customer of CoinFLEX’s account went into negative equity, meaning the Individual’s account currently holds a negative balance. In response, CoinFLEX made the decision to halt user withdrawals starting from June 23rd, 2022. As an exchange, we never want to put users in such a position and regret having to resort to these measures in order to work toward resolving the issue.

In normal circumstances, we would auto-liquidate a position that runs low on equity at prices prior to the zero-equity price. In this case, the Individual had a non-liquidation recourse account. This condition required the Individual to pledge stringent personal guarantees around account equity and margin calls in exchange for not being liquidated.

Solution for Re-enabling Withdrawals

As a solution toward re-enabling withdrawals, CoinFLEX is planning to monetize this personal guarantee by creating a corresponding liability in the form of a token called Recovery Value USD (“rvUSD”). The terms of the rvUSD token issuance can be found here.

I know that "ponzi" gets thrown around a lot, but this is literally a ponzi. It's taking new deposits to pay back the old depositors. Oh and they're offering 20% APR on the new token!

Anyway, the purchasers of this new coin are basically guaranteed to get less than they pay:

quote:

Proceeds from the repayment of the debt/recovery of assets from the Individual will be converted into USDC. rvUSD holders will be able to convert their tokens into USDC on a pro-rata basis based on the amount of these repayments/recoveries from time to time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

Oh hey, now we know what’s going on with that guys neighbour.

For that one goon that was all "oh just tell them you have a personal issue and don't want to discuss it, you should always maintain good relations with your neighbors so don't say anything that might upset them"? Yeah, this is exactly why that kind of approach doesn't work.

When someone is evangelizing for something--whether it's religion, politics, or butts--it's either because they're a fervent true believer, they're neck-deep in some kind of scam and need another mark to help them stay afloat, or both.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I agree, and I went in knowing that. But I justify it based on the fact that he's now a one-man show with no employees, and seems cognizant of that fact that he really should stay that way. If he has people working under him again I'll peace out.

it's less to do with if anyone works under him (although it is good to know no one does), and more to do with not wanting to contribute to the wealth of an anti-union shitbag via ad revenue.

Someone needs to rip every episode and upload it somewhere that PJ doesn't see a dime, then I would absolutely listen to it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Gimlet really is a shadow of its former self. It's been on a slow downward path since it was bought by Spotify, and that's accelerated recently. None of their major shows produce shows on a reliable schedule anymore, it's pretty sad.

yeah the Test Kitchen thing killed them, there's no dancing around it :/

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 28, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So this rvUSD is only open to 'Sophisticated Investors'

Must have an annual income more than 200k, and a million in assests (not including your house). And the minimum investment is 100k.

More tellingly, it's explicitly not open to US residents which just screams "We don't want to give any US regulators cause to look in to this".

Also if you dive into the T&C's there's the now standard boiler plate about "Actually our promises are worthless, we can do what we like with this, and you have no recourse".

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mystery Show on Gimlet had an unsustainable premise but burned white hot for those six episodes. Episode #3 belt buckle is a contender for best ever podcast ep.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Absolutely love that all of these fake-rear end tokens that claim to be pegged to the US Dollar are explicitly not available to US citizens, for some reason

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Unperson_47 posted:

So how exactly do coiners who bring up the fact that there is a finite supply of Bitcoins internally rationalize the fact that bitcoins can be divided nearly infinitely? Unless this isn't the case and if it isn't, why couldn't they be infinitely dividable in the future?

It goes to 8 decimals, so not infinite but small enough

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
The latest hyped NFT collection just dropped

http://itsnothing.xyz/
https://opensea.io/collection/itsnothing-nft

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lmao NFT's are just speedrunning a lame copy of art history, much like bitcoin is speedrunning a coked out version of financial markets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Piggy Smalls posted:

Well goons it all came to a head today. Nugen Coin talk here. My neighbor called to let me know she absolutely had to talk to me today. Nugen is about to go live June 30th and I have to do kyc forms so that the coins under my kids aren’t lost.

I stood my ground staring to my neighbor that had they bought me a lawnmower would I be obligated to use the lawnmower on their time schedule? Why is a gift to me regulated by them? Why not give the gift and go their own way? My neighbor had a retort. “What if I bought you a wonderful steak dinner and you refused to eat it? I bought the Nugen coin for you and the family and you are letting it to to waste.”

He told me that if I didn’t give my ID for the KYC paperwork Then it’s as if I didn’t accept his gift. I told him A gift is a gift regardless of how the gift is used.

As an aside he logs into our “gift” account and prints out papers on how the value is shooting up. The dude is addicted to this whole thing and is addicted to micromanaging his “gift” to us.

I was proud of myself for not giving in.

Neighbor can buy the coins from you at current value. Don't worry, I have it from a very reliable source in two days they're going to the moon.

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1530645363790585862

Very confidence inspiring

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'm the insecure http connection.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HappyHippo posted:

I know that "ponzi" gets thrown around a lot, but this is literally a ponzi. It's taking new deposits to pay back the old depositors. Oh and they're offering 20% APR on the new token!

when I say Ponzi, I mean it. crypto, ALL of crypto, is a ponzi scam.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Worth clicking to hear that guy's delivery.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Absolutely love that all of these fake-rear end tokens that claim to be pegged to the US Dollar are explicitly not available to US citizens, for some reason

Also that none of them are backed by anything as flimsy or stupid as "an actual US dollar anywhere".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Piggy Smalls posted:

Well goons it all came to a head today. Nugen Coin talk here. My neighbor called to let me know she absolutely had to talk to me today. Nugen is about to go live June 30th and I have to do kyc forms so that the coins under my kids aren’t lost.

I stood my ground staring to my neighbor that had they bought me a lawnmower would I be obligated to use the lawnmower on their time schedule? Why is a gift to me regulated by them? Why not give the gift and go their own way? My neighbor had a retort. “What if I bought you a wonderful steak dinner and you refused to eat it? I bought the Nugen coin for you and the family and you are letting it to to waste.”

He told me that if I didn’t give my ID for the KYC paperwork Then it’s as if I didn’t accept his gift. I told him A gift is a gift regardless of how the gift is used.

As an aside he logs into our “gift” account and prints out papers on how the value is shooting up. The dude is addicted to this whole thing and is addicted to micromanaging his “gift” to us.

Your neighbors tapped out all their credit and want to use your identity to borrow more money to throw at the scam.

They might be justifying it to themselves by saying that they don't want you to miss out on this amazing thing but those "good" intentions will drop away when they see the SSN of their rear end in a top hat neighbor who ruined their shot at riches as a way to keep from ending up destitute.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
"I need your SSN for a gift"

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Someone posted an article about people short selling Tether a few days ago, question for people who understand finance: would it be possible to lose money doing that? As a stable coin, it’s basically impossible for it to go over $1, but as we’ve seen they can go quite a bit lower. Worst case scenario you’d have to buy it back for $1, which would be the same price you shorted it. There would be fees associated with the short presumably, but if you do a large enough volume it should be easy to make money even if the value only fluctuates by fractions of a penny. From historical charts it seems to fluctuate with the $.99-$1 range all the time, so even if you’re only making $.0025 per, that can add up real quick if you put in millions. And you can repeat it multiple times a day, whenever the value is at a solid $1.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Pirate Captain posted:

Someone posted an article about people short selling Tether a few days ago, question for people who understand finance: would it be possible to lose money doing that? As a stable coin, it’s basically impossible for it to go over $1, but as we’ve seen they can go quite a bit lower. Worst case scenario you’d have to buy it back for $1, which would be the same price you shorted it. There would be fees associated with the short presumably, but if you do a large enough volume it should be easy to make money even if the value only fluctuates by fractions of a penny. From historical charts it seems to fluctuate with the $.99-$1 range all the time, so even if you’re only making $.0025 per, that can add up real quick if you put in millions. And you can repeat it multiple times a day, whenever the value is at a solid $1.

the only way you make serious money on this is using enormous, enormous leverage to magnify your .0025 cent gains into something significant - which magnifies your losses by the same amount

it is not impossible for it to go above $1, if there is excess demand. it won't go hugely above 1 - but it can go slightly above 1. and you know who can make it do that? the exchange, working with whales they shared your short and what it takes to liquidate you at with, because everyone in crypto is long crypto so doing anything to short crypto in the crypto ecosystem is a hugely bad idea

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

But you can buy shorts that don’t call for like 3 weeks or more. There’s no way an exchange could keep the value above $1 for any serious amount of time even with the whales, and all it would take is a single fluctuation below $1 for your auto traders to liquidate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Pirate Captain posted:

But you can buy shorts that don’t call for like 3 weeks or more. There’s no way an exchange could keep the value above $1 for any serious amount of time even with the whales, and all it would take is a single fluctuation below $1 for your auto traders to liquidate.

thats not how it works

if i short a million tethers, let's say i pay a cent per tether: i pay $10,000. but remember: I owe a million tethers to someone, and that someone wants to make sure i am good for it. so i must also put up margin: collateral, proving i have the funds to go repay you the million tethers. so i need to put up a million dollars (for the tethers) plus some additional security - let's just say it's another penny. so, $10,000. I put up $1.01 million. this is because, hey, maybe at the three week mark tether is at 1.01 so you need more money to buy back the million tethers.

but if, during those three weeks, tether goes to 1.01 - i have to put up additional margin because the lender is no longer protected against the price going up another cent. you get liquidated because you don't have enough margin.

so the exchange tells a whale "hey, spike the price to 1.02 and we liquidate this guy and seize his $10k". or they just do it themselves with fake trades, and take your money.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

evilweasel posted:

thats not how it works

if i short a million tethers, let's say i pay a cent per tether: i pay $10,000. but remember: I owe a million tethers to someone, and that someone wants to make sure i am good for it. so i must also put up margin: collateral, proving i have the funds to go repay you the million tethers. so i need to put up a million dollars (for the tethers) plus some additional security - let's just say it's another penny. so, $10,000. I put up $1.01 million. this is because, hey, maybe at the three week mark tether is at 1.01 so you need more money to buy back the million tethers.

but if, during those three weeks, tether goes to 1.01 - i have to put up additional margin because the lender is no longer protected against the price going up another cent. you get liquidated because you don't have enough margin.

so the exchange tells a whale "hey, spike the price to 1.02 and we liquidate this guy and seize his $10k". or they just do it themselves with fake trades, and take your money.

I thought you could liquidate a short at any point before the call. So if I have $10mil in the bank and want to short $5mil tether it wouldn’t matter if the price goes up to $1.02 at some point because I have more than enough collateral for that. And hey, if they do manage to get it up that high somehow, I could put another few mill into it at that price and make an easy 2% when it drops back to $1. Or if I’m being even more clever, put in 1 mil originally, wait for the whales to spike the price up to $1.01 to try to spite me, then put in 8 mil at that price. I’ve kept $1mil in reserve to cover any margins.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Mystery Show on Gimlet had an unsustainable premise but burned white hot for those six episodes. Episode #3 belt buckle is a contender for best ever podcast ep.

100%. If I could bring one pod back from the grave it'd be this one.

I listened a few episodes of PJ's Crypto Island and I've enjoyed it. I did sort of follow the drama around his leaving but I never really got a good grasp on it, other than he didn't support their unionization for his own reasons. At least his apology seemed mostly sincere? IDK not going to go to bat for someone I've never even seen a picture of.

e: to clarify, not that I care what he looks like, I was just trying to illustrate my extremely-low-level of familiarity with the person

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Every christmas I get gifts for people but demand they give me their bank pin and creditcard numbers or the gifts are getting returned.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Piggy Smalls posted:

"No, gently caress off" is a complete sentence. Why worry about decorum with this idiot, he doesn't care about your feelings in the matter. In fact he is *actively trying to scam you.* Stop giving him validation.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 28, 2022

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

neighbor guy:
Hold your phone up, tell them you are recording everything they say and do for you lawyer to use in the court case that you are filing against them tomorrow.

Or, instead, if you really want to shine them on, tell them you are livestreaming.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Piggy Smalls posted:

I am now convinced that if Seinfeld were made today, this would be an episode and the neighbor would be Bania.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There are two big problems with trying to out play crypto by shorting. First, engaging with crypto at all is harmful. You're assisting in the environmental damage and helping out with the human damage that crypto causes even if you're trying to make money on how it's inherently worthless garbage. Don't touch crypto at all and keep the harm to a minimum.

Second, crypto markets are more irrational than a meeting of the Crystal Healers for a Flat Earth Committee. Yes, they pyramid will eventually fail and crypto will implode spectacularly. Doesn't mean it's going to happen when you want it to. The day to day behavior is erratic and trying to outguess it is a good way to get burned. And that's assuming that the system is playing fair. There's evidence that the exchanges specifically manipulate the prices to gently caress with the people who put big bets on shorting crypto. They're not playing with real money and can just magic up more whenever they want. You are constrained by reality. Even if you could place big shorts down, they'll spike the price for five minutes just to hurt you.

In short, crypto bad. Don't touch it. Don't think you can beat the system. Just sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

Verdugo posted:

"No, gently caress off" is a complete sentence. Why worry about decorum with this idiot, he doesn't care about your feelings in the matter. In fact he is *actively trying to scam you.* Stop giving him validation.

Yeah, I appreciate wanting to keep up some politeness with the neighbors, but that ends when they're actively trying to harm you. Do not tolerate people who are trying to rob you. The informative approach has been tried ("this is a really obvious scam"), the polite turnaway has been tried, now it's time to push back.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 28, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I bought you this wonderful steak dinner, and you won't eat it just because the restaurant is demanding your childrens' PII before you can get a table.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

In short, crypto bad. Don't touch it. Don't think you can beat the system. Just sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

Reminds me of when a guy shorted Axie Inifity's currency because he knew it had been drained of 600m, but lost his money because people kept it afloat for quite a while despite the theft being public knowledge.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

There are two big problems with trying to out play crypto by shorting. First, engaging with crypto at all is harmful. You're assisting in the environmental damage and helping out with the human damage that crypto causes even if you're trying to make money on how it's inherently worthless garbage. Don't touch crypto at all and keep the harm to a minimum.

Second, crypto markets are more irrational than a meeting of the Crystal Healers for a Flat Earth Committee. Yes, they pyramid will eventually fail and crypto will implode spectacularly. Doesn't mean it's going to happen when you want it to. The day to day behavior is erratic and trying to outguess it is a good way to get burned. And that's assuming that the system is playing fair. There's evidence that the exchanges specifically manipulate the prices to gently caress with the people who put big bets on shorting crypto. They're not playing with real money and can just magic up more whenever they want. You are constrained by reality. Even if you could place big shorts down, they'll spike the price for five minutes just to hurt you.

Yeah, I appreciate wanting to keep up some politeness with the neighbors, but that ends when they're actively trying to harm you. Do not tolerate people who are trying to rob you. The informative approach has been tried ("this is a really obvious scam"), the polite turnaway has been tried, now it's time to push back.

There's an adage in economics that sums up the second part of this argument - "Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent". Please don't touch the poop.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Who the gently caress still talks of a "steak dinner"?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Yeah, I’ve never touched crypto and never will, other than to laugh at how dumb it is. This just struck me as a thing that would be possible, not a thing I would ever do.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Adolf Glitter posted:

Who the gently caress still talks of a "steak dinner"?

Boomers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tired: Steak Dinners
Wired: Ape Dinners

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think it’s also saying that the guy used his Mint Mobile phone to do it. Mint Mobile (mm) is a discount phone network mainly used by people who don’t have the kind of money to blow on monkey jpgs that get them into monkey themed parties

Mm means metamask, a popular cryptocurrency/NFT wallet

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I bought you this wonderful steak dinner, and you won't eat it just because the restaurant is demanding your childrens' PII before you can get a table.

I know if my neighbor demanded a family member's personal info for any reason--not just for crypto butt scams--my first thought would certainly be "ah jeez, I guess I don't want to upset them though"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, wanting your childrens personal details to obviously use in a scam is cause for immediate escalation to "gently caress off, and never speak to me or my family again".