Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

You need a custom NPC who sits at that computer and says "Chevron 7 locked" whenever you open the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There any Fabric mods that let you see other players from farther away / on a map? Xaero's doesn't seem to do poo poo and I'm drawing a blank, here.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The only map mod I know does that is Journeymap, and only when serverside as well and configured to do that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dynmap too, though it's kind of out of game

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm getting deeper into Nomifactory, is there any good signage in this, JEI isn't showing much but everything is getting so complicated it would be nice to have some decent labels around.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm also playing Nomifactory and I'm disappointed in the cosmetic options. I never realized how much I liked Majalis Doors until this pack doesn't have them.

I don't usually even build buildings, but drat it I want a big warehouse for my factory floor.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm also playing Nomifactory and I'm disappointed in the cosmetic options. I never realized how much I liked Majalis Doors until this pack doesn't have them.

I don't usually even build buildings, but drat it I want a big warehouse for my factory floor.

Can't you just add the mod yourself?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sailor Dave posted:

Can't you just add the mod yourself?

I could but 1) I'm playing on a server so I'd have to add it and make sure everyone gets the same file 2) limitation breeds creativity and 3) :effort:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

I haven't seen the stargate mod for litreal years.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I haven't played modded minecraft in years. What's the big kitchen sink modpacks that people play nowadays? I used to play a bunch of Tekkit, Hexxit and similar packs. Some of my favourite old mods were Thermal Expansion, Applied Energistics, Tinker's Construct and that Power Suits mod. I'm not interested in Gregtech or anything that is overly punitive or fiddly. I also wanted to get into Witchery but it doesn't look like it's been kept up to date.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Meh, original sucked. I can do better.

The Deleter posted:

So I haven't played modded minecraft in years. What's the big kitchen sink modpacks that people play nowadays? I used to play a bunch of Tekkit, Hexxit and similar packs. Some of my favourite old mods were Thermal Expansion, Applied Energistics, Tinker's Construct and that Power Suits mod. I'm not interested in Gregtech or anything that is overly punitive or fiddly. I also wanted to get into Witchery but it doesn't look like it's been kept up to date.

So um. The mod scene has kinda exploded since then. There's thousands of packs, spread across several versions of Minecraft. And as things go, each new version has mods that come and go, and mods that stick around but change.

Thermal Expansion, Applied Energistics and Tinkers Construct all still exist even to the newer Minecraft versions, but they are very very different from anything you would've known. Also, Witchery has been succeeded by a mod called Bewitchment.

But anyway like I said there's a whole slew of kitchen sink packs people play because of one preference or another. You may want to check out the Enigmatica and All The Mods series' though. Because of things I explain a little of in the OP, 1.12 technically has the deepest selection of mods and will be the most familiar to you, followed by 1.16 and then 1.18.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 29, 2022

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

I haven't seen the stargate mod for litreal years.

It's the capstone of GTNH, also. Not many people get to that point though :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Black Pants posted:

So um. The mod scene has kinda exploded since then. There's thousands of packs, spread across several versions of Minecraft. And as things go, each new version has mods that come and go, and mods that stick around but change.

Thermal Expansion, Applied Energistics and Tinkers Construct all still exist even to the newer Minecraft versions, but they are very very different from anything you would've known. Also, Witchery has been succeeded by a mod called Bewitchment.

But anyway like I said there's a whole slew of kitchen sink packs people play because of one preference or another. You may want to check out the Enigmatica and All The Mods series' though. Because of things I explain a little of in the OP, 1.12 technically has the deepest selection of mods and will be the most familiar to you, followed by 1.16 and then 1.18.

Alright, I'll poke around with those. I get the huge changes, so I guess I'll have to poke around. I'm mostly interested in 1.18 since that's closest to vanilla right now, but I'm game for other versions depending on what's good.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Deleter posted:

Alright, I'll poke around with those. I get the huge changes, so I guess I'll have to poke around. I'm mostly interested in 1.18 since that's closest to vanilla right now, but I'm game for other versions depending on what's good.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/all-the-mods-7 is probably your best starting point then.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Try Create!

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
I'm having trouble getting a Forge server going with the oracle cloud thing. I downgraded java from 18 to 8 and successfully ran the forge installer, but trying to run the server jar the installer generates gives me "Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile forge-1.18.2-40.1.52-server.jar". Anyone have an idea what I might be doing wrong?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Black Pants posted:

Meh, original sucked. I can do better.

this looks great, but I'm afraid with no iris you're basically asking to be invaded by goauld and everyone else.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
make the iris, only vanilla redstone/pistons/etc allowed :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can put an actual iris on the stargate, and it works like it should, but those laser turrets are going to have to suffice for the moment because the player is going to find out about this stargate by arriving at it lol

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I have encountered the nightmare of my first Ticking Entity error on a private server with a few friends, and of all possible things it's a loving arrow. :negative: It's not from mods because I have zero modded entities, let alone arrows. I can't do the CofH trick because it's a Fabric server and it's on 1.19. I can't do the peaceful mode trick OR teleport-and-kill because the corrupt entity is a loving arrow. God drat, why the gently caress does Minecraft have an unhandled exception like this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I have encountered the nightmare of my first Ticking Entity error on a private server with a few friends, and of all possible things it's a loving arrow. :negative: It's not from mods because I have zero modded entities, let alone arrows. I can't do the CofH trick because it's a Fabric server and it's on 1.19. I can't do the peaceful mode trick OR teleport-and-kill because the corrupt entity is a loving arrow. God drat, why the gently caress does Minecraft have an unhandled exception like this.
Unfortunately at this point your best bet is NBT editing the save file to erase it. I had a similar problem once with an "invisible" pig that the server thought existed but no commands or interactions could touch.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rynoto posted:

The old airship/ship mod where it converted big groups of blocks into vehicles worked really well most of the time. It just had a tendency to desync in multiplayer and corrupt chunks. Fun to see if they've been able to fix that problem.

Lmao oh man that brings back memories. I had a world featured in Yoggscast back in the 1.2.5 days, one of the first iterations of Technic IIRC, and I built a sweet airship. They even flew it around in the video and it worked great. I then made the mistake of trying to build an elevator-airship in my base, and also running control conduit through the elevator shaft. The elevator mod did not play nicely with RedPower conduits and slab covers etc, nuked that chunk right in the middle of my base. Oops!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

MonkeyforaHead posted:

on 1.18+, entities exist separately from your world data. So you can use the coordinates in dinnerbone's tools to find out which region file the entity is in, then delete that file from worldname/region/entities.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You could always try NBTExplorer. Not the easiest tool to work with but if you know the exact chunk it's in you can open it and see the entry for the entity and delete it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yaaaaay I did the Nomifactory!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
That’s really impressive man - congrats! I’m still worming my way toward tank.

E: Did you do all that in the overworld or just build a stone shell in the void. In either case, submit base pics please 😃

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yaaaaay I did the Nomifactory!

Congratulations! What a road to walk.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Very nice :)

Im hankering for a pack i can drop in and out of.

I was looking at all the mods 7, but multimc doesnt recognise it

Is nomifactory teh better version of omnifactory?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Pretty much yep. There's discord drama involved (isn't there always?) but the long and short of it is nomifactory is based the branch that's been continuing to receive updates from the devs who had been keeping it updated, and omni is run by the original owner of the project, who hasn't been doing much with it (and came out looking like an rear end in a top hat after said drama, IMO).

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, sounds pretty standard for minecraft.

Is there a particular reason multimc isnt able to install it?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
So the other big source of drama going on is that CurseForge got bought out by Overwolf, which is kind of a crummy company that makes a crummy overlay program with a history of collecting a little too much information (iirc at one point it was literally keylogging to Overwolf's servers and when pressed on a dev failed to see why that was a bad thing??). It's doing a partner program thing where mod authors only get paid if they opt in to an exclusivity deal where the mod doesn't show up on the CurseForge API (which is what MultiMC and other third party launchers use to access and download the appropriate versions of mods), so unless you use the official overwolf program (ad-supported) you won't get automatic mod downloads.

Other launchers have tried assorted ways to get around this new, uhh, "feature". I recently used PolyMC which pops up a list of mods it wasn't able to install, you click and download the appropriate .jar for your version (they're still accessible from the website) and add it in manually, which is tedious but worked fine. GDLauncher is supposedly working on a feature that automates browser downloading and.jar collecting, but I didn't see it last time I popped it open. MultiMC afaik doesn't do anything to help.

That being said, last time I set up Nomifactory, the only thing that was missing was BetterQuesting for 1.12.2, all the other mods downloaded fine.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GDLauncher works now. If you haven't already you'll need to redownload it from the website though. They apparently did something they weren't able to just patch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

Very nice :)

Im hankering for a pack i can drop in and out of.

I was looking at all the mods 7, but multimc doesnt recognise it

ATM7 is really fun and has a ton of poo poo to do in it. I’ve been hosting a server for a few months now for a buddy and I. The only annoying thing about it is how bad I am at updating the server whenever they update ATM7. I have found just about every way one can break a server every time I go update poo poo. Blessings to full backups.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Are there any client-side mods or datapacks that give the player a prone key? It's be nice to be able to get into small spaces without having to put a trap door down every time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Expanding on previous responses: yes. Some people were maintaining Omnifactory while the original developer was off doing whatever-what-the-heck-else-possibly-in-another-country-or-something-for-over-a-year. These were development branches that had fixed various things and improved the quest book, along with updating mods in the pack. Then some Nazis dropped their masks in the politics channel in their Discord. The OG developer saw it, went ban crazy, and ended up catching uninvolved maintainers in that; I don't think any of the maintainers were participating in that. They made up, but ultimately decided to move the development work out to a new pack with a fresh start anyways.

You got the spiel on MultiMC. I was sticking to a development branch until the end that I didn't try to update thanks to the new shenanigans with Overwolf.

Gameplay-wise, it really should be done in a group. I blew about a year of my fun time on it and did a lot of stupid stuff since I didn't have anybody else really anticipating stuff with me. I'll eventually post an animated gif scrolling the whole base, but the first gif of that I made got chewed up by imgur and just showed my basement.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I think they all agreed it was a dumb as gently caress move to have a politics channel on a fuckin Minecraft mod discord

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Are there any client-side mods or datapacks that give the player a prone key? It's be nice to be able to get into small spaces without having to put a trap door down every time.

I'm sure there are multiple server-side options, but I doubt client-side exists on the basis that you're technically adding new mechanical functionality to how you interact with the world.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 2, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Client-only, as in joining servers that don't have it? No. But there are mods that add prone/crawling in general.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Taffer posted:

Client-only, as in joining servers that don't have it? No. But there are mods that add prone/crawling in general.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'm sure there are multiple server-side options, but I doubt client-side exists on the basis that you're technically adding new mechanical functionality to how you interact with the world.

Ah well. I was hoping since it there are game ways to do it that it would be possible. If it was for a server I'd just add Morph or Origins or something that allows you to have a model that's smaller. Thanks, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Looking at polymc, it looks just like Multimc.

I think i will give that a go and see :)