Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1541496803102793728?t=UpFeo8f1bK3-vllO9Gt_CA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/DedeHedgehog/status/1541279736910860290?s=20&t=oG1CDc-A1wXxEdEuLdBUgw

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/1541388484291612673

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, did they tweak the ending in that version as well or do you still get blue Knuckles if you beat it as Sonic?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Good to see that Sonic retaliated against Mario stealing his spin attack by stealing Mario's twisty jump.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pants Donkey posted:

It must be a Retro Engine thing, as I recall crushing being a common way to die in Mania.
Yes, it's 100% a retro engine thing. You can replicate it pretty easily with the moving four block pieces in Chemical Plant Zone, there's angles you will never die on in the original game that will kill you repeatedly in retro engine.

Small price to pay.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Rings.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah you're not getting crushed there, the bottoms of those blocks hurt you as they fall

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe I just never got hit there in past playthroughs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm only certain about this because i tested it on my own playthrough earlier tonight lol. just finished with the good future 8) i only played cd for the first time last year and i was kinda hard on it and its spaghetti nightmare level design, but said design is a lot smarter than i gave it credit for. there's always a thread and the game actively invites you to find it, and it's always possible to backtrack and fully explore the entire level in any time period. i will say though, the modern conveniences of anniversary mode (easy level restart and retrying special stages) don't hurt. sonic cd has its own flavor and i can see myself replaying it as much as 2 and 3k

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I finally beat Sonic 2 for the first time, only nearly thirty years later. Nine deaths in total, so given all the continues and lives I think it would have well within the grand total of lives I would have had.

Died more to Mecha Sonic because I forgot the pattern. Like seven times to it and two to Robotnik.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Larryb posted:

It’s the same in every Genesis (or mobile in the case of this particular version of Sonic 1) game and also Mania: access the respective game’s stage select, go down to the sound test and play the sounds 4, 1, 2, 6 in that order (in Origins you apparently need to do it twice to unlock Hyper Sonic/Knuckles)

Note that for 3K and Mania this only works if you’re playing in No Save mode

I don't think I ever knew that worked on Sonic 3, but did it all the time on Sonic 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

I don't think I ever knew that worked on Sonic 3, but did it all the time on Sonic 2.

In retrospect I’m not sure if the code was in the original Sonic 3K but it’s definitely in the Origins version

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Origins makes me a bit sad it's a mess in the ways it is because of the incredible amount of passion parts of it have had put into it. Like Stealth et al clearly loving love sonic and by the sounds of it put in an incredible crunch to get S3&K done in time, and there's very clearly so much love in these animated cutscenes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjwfj0iwMA

New trailer for the Switch version. Shows a brief glimpse of cyberspace and some much more Sonic-y music

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Someone has to break into Sonic Team HQ and delete the green hill zone assets from their computers

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

hatty posted:

Someone has to break into Sonic Team HQ and delete the green hill zone assets from their computers
It would have been funny if the island was just Green Hill and the game was about escaping it once and for all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjwfj0iwMA

New trailer for the Switch version. Shows a brief glimpse of cyberspace and some much more Sonic-y music

Maybe I’m crazy but the lower quality res and assets makes it look less like an asset flip and more like a video game.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

hatty posted:

I'm even willing to compromise and let them do an Emerald Hill nostalgia throwback in the next game instead, it would at least be something other than Green Hill!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm currently debating if the Switch's lower res assets are an improvement. Some fields are just like... green at a medium distance, but maybe that beats the Unreal Asset Store look of hte fields in the current gen version

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The switch version will be the best one because that's the only console I have

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t remember having much in the way of technical issues with the Switch version of Forces so hopefully the Colors remake was just a fluke as far as potential bugs go

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Seaside Hill would work great as a Green Hill replacement, they've used it for a few side games plus Generations. Or hell, use the 8-bit Green Hill music for a change. Or just don't use Green Hill! The cityscape looks cool though, all that geometry looks like something out of a dream. What we heard of the music was good as well.

The cyberspace levels should be fun, but it's pretty disappointing that they appear to literally just be linear boost levels again. The new movement engine seems like it could work well for Adventure-style mostly linear levels on a more expansive scale, but it's not to be I guess.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/1541786812615622658

You can see this weirdo floating by the big robot at the end of the trailer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We still don’t know much about the game’s plot yet aside from “Sonic & friends get transported to another world somehow and the former needs to find them and the chaos emeralds” right?

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

The red digital hazard look making me think of Infinite.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of curious what role (if any) Eggman’s gonna play in this game as well (so far I believe Tails, Amy, and Knuckles have been confirmed as making an appearance but it seems like at the moment Sonic’s still the only playable character)

Unfortunately if Team Sonic Racing is anything to go by the latter will no longer be voiced by Travis Willingham from here on out

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 28, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

I'm currently debating if the Switch's lower res assets are an improvement. Some fields are just like... green at a medium distance, but maybe that beats the Unreal Asset Store look of hte fields in the current gen version

Unreal Asset Store assets look good though, they're just wildly inappropriate for a sonic game and there's no sensible art direction here at all. A blurry green field isn't any better though. They are both missing that Sonic worlds are meant to have patterns over their textures. adding some checkerboard variation to their existing levels would be the first step to making it look like a sonic game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean you could argue against the checkerboard patterns to establish a world alien to Sonic, but it still has to have an aesthetic that doesn’t horribly clash with the character designs.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly, to me the things that define the aesthetic of Sonic's world are the more abstract level geometry that mimics the appearance of early 90s 3D renders coupled with the limited colour palettes imposed by the original Sega Genesis hardware.

The modern games that I feel end up best capturing the essence of this aesthetic (Unleashed and Generations, specifically) are the ones that embrace simple, abstracted designs built on basic shapes into their world design. The Sonic games that end up going for a more photorealistic approach to their worlds just end up feeling...off.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't mind if they put Green Hill Zone in Sonic things. It's expected.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

a world alien to Sonic that's littered with springs, boost pads and grind rails

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DF's Origins review is up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly, to me the things that define the aesthetic of Sonic's world are the more abstract level geometry that mimics the appearance of early 90s 3D renders coupled with the limited colour palettes imposed by the original Sega Genesis hardware.

The modern games that I feel end up best capturing the essence of this aesthetic (Unleashed and Generations, specifically) are the ones that embrace simple, abstracted designs built on basic shapes into their world design. The Sonic games that end up going for a more photorealistic approach to their worlds just end up feeling...off.

Honestly, one of the modern games I feel like captured the aesthetic best in the level art is Lost World.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Larryb posted:

Kind of curious what role (if any) Eggman’s gonna play in this game as well (so far I believe Tails, Amy, and Knuckles have been confirmed as making an appearance but it seems like at the moment Sonic’s still the only playable character)

There's a brief shot in that new trailer of a capsule or ship in the overworld with Eggman's logo on, so he has some sort of role. The cyberspace levels probably tie into his presence as well, since they have a bunch of his robots in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's a brief shot in that new trailer of a capsule or ship in the overworld with Eggman's logo on, so he has some sort of role. The cyberspace levels probably tie into his presence as well, since they have a bunch of his robots in.

Makes sense. As for the new character Sage I’m guessing she’s either going to wind up being an unlikely ally or the true final boss of the game (her design and the fact that she’s shown floating above a massive robot at the end of the trailer makes me lean more towards the latter)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I actually really dig the look of that first non-Green Hill cyber zone ngl
also lmao is this why the 29th was the embargo? so they could reveal the cyber stages for two seconds in the Nintendo direct?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe I’m crazy but the lower quality res and assets makes it look less like an asset flip and more like a video game.

you’re crazy
but it’s okay, we’re all crazy here

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I mean you could argue against the checkerboard patterns to establish a world alien to Sonic, but it still has to have an aesthetic that doesn’t horribly clash with the character designs.

??????? how was anyone at any point supposed to get that this grassy hill area we've seen is an alien planet? if it's an alien planet, it is indistinguishable from any grassy generic videogame location set on earth. at best ill accept sonic is running around in the HZD post-apocalypse era.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Plus we already have a grassy alien planet, from Sonic Colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In a huge twist, Green Hill Zone was actually also an alien land mass the whole time. But when the 7th emerald went missing, it crashed to the surface. Previously known as the Floating Even Higher Island, it was now named for it's most popular destination (according to Sonic).

Also it was technically a planetoid. But very small, and just barely qualifying. The Tinier Planet. Cyberspace GHZ just takes you back to the time when it was still alien (indistinguishable from present day).