Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Morbus posted:

I'm optimistic that there will be incredible content

there already is turn your monitor off and look around lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

poo poo I didn't even think about induction hotplates existing. And you can even set the temp on them? That owns, I will probably try one out at some point

I wonder if induction has anything limiting the heat on the upper end. An induction wok to get those high temps would own

on an induction stovetop, one limiting factor is the pan itself. many pans are designed to work on different heat sources (gas, infrared, heating element, induction) which means the materials and construction are a compromise: ideally you'd want aluminum or copper for heat conduction, or stainless steel to avoid corrosion, and none of those will heat up by induction, so they add a ferromagnetic plate on the bottom. they can't make it too thick, however, or it'll slow down heat transfer with other sources, so the power output is limited by its ability to absorb and transfer induction heat.

on a hot plate, the hard limit would be how much you can draw out of the wall socket, so you probably can't put more than around 1.5kW of heat even in a cast iron pan

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

it just owns that the majority of carbon emitted by human activity has been emitted in my lifetime. At any point there could have been an effort to change away from manufacturing disposable goods on the other side of the world and the oil based economy, but now I will have to see the biosphere collapse around me with all of the human misery that that entails. lol, lmao.

gently caress, I just can't believe poo poo sometimes

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2021/06/how-the-fossil-fuel-industry-convinced-americans-to-love-gas-stoves/

just in the past few years the Gas industry convinced everyone that gas stoves actually own and banning new gas lines means that you can't use your favorite cooking element. The reason they did this is because it means that people with gas lines can also use gas heating, gas water heaters, all that kind of in-home gas use.

and don't get me wrong, I've used the lovely old electric coil stoves, and they suck, but apparently induction stoves are supposed to own now? and no stove sucks worse than climate change

It's maddening

I just, gently caress, idk

e:

This was a good video that goes over the gas stove poo poo. Also he duct taped the mic to his chest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2aZUav-54

https://youtu.be/ljwUlY9WW1I

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A majority of CO2 emissions have been released since John Biden first started running for president.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

A majority of CO2 emissions have been released since John Biden first started running for president.

Not exactly insightful to point out a majority has taken place since industrialization

'Cause he's so old, am I right folks

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1541523022892392453

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

goddamn

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

im very optimistic about the climate. I expect the climate to still be around in 100, even 1000 years. just look at the news, there’s more climate happening every day! go climate!🥳

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Someone make a Lego Boris Johnson saying there will be adequate food in rebuttal.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
seems like a very realistic expectation that their food will be entirely plastic, rare miss from the onion

plenty of good news though!

World pledged to cut methane. Emissions rising instead, study finds.

quote:

Kayrros, a firm that analyzes satellite data, says methane emissions from fossil fuels have intensified, rising faster than the rebound in oil, gas and coal production since the easing of the coronavirus pandemic — a development the firm called “worrisome.”
In the Permian Basin, the most prolific U.S. oil and gas basin, methane emissions in the first quarter of 2022 jumped 33 percent from the previous quarter, and soared by 47 percent from the first quarter a year earlier. The increase in methane emissions outstripped oil and gas output, thus increasing the methane intensity. The emissions in the first three months of this year also exceeded emissions in the fourth quarter of 2019 — before the pandemic hit.
Emissions also climbed in the Appalachian coal fields. Production from the region’s coal mines fell in 2020 amid lower demand because of the pandemic. But methane emissions were slower to decline then, and “as production started to bounce back in 2021, emissions grew faster,” the report says. Production grew 13 percent in 2021, but methane emissions rose 20 percent in the same period. “The rising methane intensity of Appalachian coal production means that its contribution to climate change has steadily increased even as its contribution to power generation has declined,” the report adds.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

i hope that qr code steals crypto wallets

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

ted hitler hunter posted:

just a twitter template @'ing them to do something. weak.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Gonna get the climate done alright

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

ted hitler hunter posted:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Saw a falcon perched upon an exploded bird near my fairly toxic drainage pond today. Wish I was that exploded bird sometimes.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Car Hater posted:

Gonna get the climate done alright

i like my climate well done

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

What's happening this summer?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TrishaF10942457/status/1541531295037198340?s=20&t=1qhlm8icUve5uvnSTXdyUQ

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dustcat posted:

on an induction stovetop, one limiting factor is the pan itself. many pans are designed to work on different heat sources (gas, infrared, heating element, induction) which means the materials and construction are a compromise: ideally you'd want aluminum or copper for heat conduction, or stainless steel to avoid corrosion, and none of those will heat up by induction, so they add a ferromagnetic plate on the bottom. they can't make it too thick, however, or it'll slow down heat transfer with other sources, so the power output is limited by its ability to absorb and transfer induction heat.

on a hot plate, the hard limit would be how much you can draw out of the wall socket, so you probably can't put more than around 1.5kW of heat even in a cast iron pan

most stainless steel pans are multiclad and will work on induction stovetops.

aluminum pots and pans arent great, skip that poo poo

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

1glitch0 posted:

What's happening this summer?
We're cooking with gas!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wrong thread

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

The main thing the thawing permafrost seems to be doing is catching fire. Which is a good thing because that might kill the ancient viruses.

lol

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Wakko posted:

seems like a very realistic expectation that their food will be entirely plastic, rare miss from the onion

plenty of good news though!

World pledged to cut methane. Emissions rising instead, study finds.

it's the thought that counts, OK?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mola Yam posted:

we had a nuclear war in 1945, it was just a bit one-sided

to be fair we didn't have very many at the time and no one else had any yet, i'm sure we would have destroyed all life if we could have

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

Im declaring thread bankruptcy and not reading what ever happened overnight.

Some of my normal RL friends started talking about the lake mead situation today.

john oliver talked about it last night

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Stereotype posted:

john oliver talked about it last night

LOL yeah just watched the episode. I'm glad he showed those people who's wells have already gone dry. It's a pretty stark thing that I don't think most Americans think can ever happen to them. That the tap just would stop working.

poo poo I about had a heart attack the 2 times my neighbor accidentally turned off my water rather than theirs when doing repairs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mark immune posted:

i like my climate well done

With ketchup I bet.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

BraveUlysses posted:

most stainless steel pans are multiclad and will work on induction stovetops.

aluminum pots and pans arent great, skip that poo poo

What's the issue with aluminum stuff? Poisonous in some way? This thread has made me assume poison

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

plants love co2 though :shrug:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

toggle posted:

Coal power: its got what plants crave

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

toggle posted:

Well why aren't they all eating it then :mad: loving plants are like a cat at dinner time, eat your goddamn biscuits and stop moaning

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

i sent this to the family sms group for cute kid pics that includes my republican sister in law

:getin:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samuel Glompers posted:

What's the issue with aluminum stuff? Poisonous in some way? This thread has made me assume poison

induction doesnt work without some magnetic metal in the pan. so you need a layer of steel or something in there.

separate issue is that if you make acidic food like pasta sauce you can taste the aluminum metal leeching into the food but i dont think its likely you will poison yourself dead from this but its not good for you over time i imagine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Samuel Glompers posted:

supposedly yeah.

but the main problem is uneven heating and low thermal mass. aluminum is ok for teflon nonstick pans but bare aluminum pots/pans are not good.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Morbus posted:

Induction, in principle, can heat things to far greater temperatures than gas. But I think the issue with an induction wok is unless you have a special curved induction hob, it won't be able to deliver heat to the wok appropriately (because parts of the wok will be too far away for efficient inductive coupling). You can probably get good enough results, especially if you have a wok with good thermal conductivity.

Kitchen talk in the broiling thread :

I've been wokkin on max temps using a high quality induction plate for nine years now, it doesn't come close to what you can do with an oldskool setup, but who cares, the results are still pretty deece, and my gastronomically illiterate dependents don't complain.

Induction is incredible for its limited maintenance, ease of use, and efficiency when working with flatter cooking utensils (using cast iron for these) I wonder when it will break down to be honest, we've been cooking for 4 6/7 for most of the entire interval.

Yes I know guillotine etc, but pretty sure Cabbages and Kings should be first to go, he's not even projecting to be a wageslave as the ages of consequence comes home to roost.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is from the nature energy paper from a few years ago (not sure if posting sci-hub links is permitted here).

they mention that the final EROI for fossil fuels is no better than renewables, so that a conversion might not as as big of a deal - but isn't the main issue that renewables won't provide the same total quantity of energy as fossil fuels? and also that they need fossil fuels to operate themselves.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

two-time fee posted:

Kitchen talk in the broiling thread :

I've been wokkin on max temps using a high quality induction plate for nine years now, it doesn't come close to what you can do with an oldskool setup, but who cares, the results are still pretty deece, and my gastronomically illiterate dependents don't complain.

there's induction plates specifically designed for woks and similar round bottom cookery out there and afaict work p. well

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
E: replying to noactionjackson (lol your av):

They require significant fossil fuels for both production and maintenance, and they have a shelf time like all things do.
Other than that, efficiency is not the major issue. Capacity storage is. Big brain's I keep reading tell me we don't have the tech for baseline capacity when using 'renewables' to meet even a fraction of current demand, let alone projected demand (hydro and thermal friendly areas excluded)
And best candidates we have for improving on this, albeit not in the orders of magnitude we project, require rare earth minerals.

I'm sure the US daycrew will be more specific.

Replying to kitchen talk : eh if I were building my kitchen now that would've been neat, no such projects right now, but thanks.

two-time fee has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

https://www.ft.com/content/cd97c64e-5d11-406b-8b66-24aa1c804a87 posted:

G7 accused of ‘backsliding’ on climate goals over energy security fears

Pledges to halt fossil fuel investment watered down against Ukraine war backdrop

Olaf Scholz, Germany’s chancellor, on the final day of the G7 summit in Bavaria on Tuesday. Germany is one of a number of countries that plan to restart mothballed coal power stations

G7 leaders have been accused of “backsliding” on climate goals after they watered down pledges to halt fossil fuel investment because of fears over energy security.

Vladimir Putin’s war against Ukraine has forced Europe to reduce its reliance on gas from Russia and sparked fears of energy shortages this winter as Moscow squeezes supplies.

In its final communique from this week’s summit, the G7 said investment in liquefied natural gas was a “necessary response to the current crisis”. It added: “In these exceptional circumstances, publicly-supported investment in the gas sector can be appropriate as a temporary response.”

Some countries, including Germany, have already said they will restart mothballed coal power stations in a bid to keep the lights and heating on this winter.

Climate groups criticised the G7 for failing to deliver new climate finance pledges, and for its renewed focus on gas. “We cannot afford this kind of backsliding. There are lives on the line,” said Laurie van der Burg, campaigner at Oil Change International, a US-based campaign group.

The G7 also added a loophole to a previous pledge to end investments in overseas fossil fuel projects by the end of this year, saying there would be an exception “in limited circumstances clearly defined by each country consistent with a 1.5C warming limit”.

Under the 2015 Paris accord, almost 200 countries agreed to limit global warming to 2C or ideally 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, in order to avoid triggering catastrophic weather events.

Alex Scott, programme leader at E3G, a climate think-tank, said that the G7 summit was “between backsliding and just stalling altogether”.

“We are not seeing this G7 accelerate their climate commitments,” she said. “This is a failure on [Chancellor Olaf] Scholz’s part: he did not live up to Merkel’s legacy.”

The results of the G7 summit will intensify the concerns of environmental groups ahead of the UN’s COP27 climate summit in November. All 196 countries that signed the Paris climate accord are supposed to come up with improved climate targets ahead of COP27 but almost none have done so.

Friederike Röder, senior director at Global Citizen, a US non-profit organisation that advocates for environmental protection, said the outcome of the G7 meeting was “very disappointing”. She pointed to the group’s failure to make meaningful new climate finance commitments, and set a deadline for coal phaseout.

Germany and Italy, which both face gas shortages because of the war in Ukraine, wanted more support for gas in the G7 communique. Italian prime minister Mario Draghi said: “In the present situation we will have short-term needs that will require large investment in gas infrastructure, in developing countries and elsewhere.”

However, after pushback from the UK and France over the weekend, the final G7 text also included limitations on gas investments, which it said must be “consistent with a 1.5C warming limit and the goals of the Paris Agreement”.

That language is similar to what the G7 environment ministers previously agreed in May.

“They have spent a lot of political energy getting this clause in the final text, to no end. They are back to where they were,” said Scott.

One of the summit’s signature initiatives was Scholz’s proposal of a “climate club”, although there were no details of what the club would be, and its creation was pushed to later in the year.

The G7 also proposed new funding partnerships with India, Indonesia, Vietnam and Senegal, which would help to provide financing for those countries to transition toward clean energy.