Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I use one of these like a real gamer. :colbert: (1-2-3 combos go on the "ASD" equivalents and I move with the thumb joystick. Other abilities radiate from middle. Also have a Razer Naga.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My solution is to set the side buttons on my mouse to cycle through different hotbars. Lets me swap between rotations effortlessly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How close do any of the melee classes get to Black Desert or (pie in the sky) Devil May Cry?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Inzombiac posted:

I think right now it boils down to my hotbars not being well optimized. I've tried to cluster skill-dependants near eachother but eventually my hand ends up aching.

Clicking the buttons seems... archaic, somehow.

Well if you decide that you really like this game you can buy a custom keypad such as this:

https://www.azeron.eu

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

How close do any of the melee classes get to Black Desert or (pie in the sky) Devil May Cry?

Nothing in this game approaches anything remotely as fluid as either of those sadly. Every class is GCD based so it'll be kind of stiff.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

at least post the FFXIV branded one

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nothing in this game approaches anything remotely as fluid as either of those sadly. Every class is GCD based so it'll be kind of stiff.

Dang. Oh well.

It's such a shame that Black Desert is such a poo poo game because the combat is incredible. Same with Vindictus.
Korean MMOs are just something else but are actively hostile to new players and non-whales.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

bagrada posted:

Honestly curious, did he use sprint?

He used a specific mount. Might have been model O.

Also sorry if I called anyone out. :v:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Inzombiac posted:

Dang. Oh well.

It's such a shame that Black Desert is such a poo poo game because the combat is incredible. Same with Vindictus.
Korean MMOs are just something else but are actively hostile to new players and non-whales.
Yeah melee classes are nowhere near any action based MMO/single player game, you stick to the mob and roll your head on the keyboard until it's dead

That being said, each melee class has its own flair and flow and they can feel very different and are really active (at max level), there used to be like 35 buttons to press during the DRG opener at 80 before endwalker dropped.

MNK : it's all about options and moving around the mob to unleash your punching fury
DRG : poking is fun, but poking while dropping from outer space is more fun
NIN : let's black mage inbetween combos !
SAM : collect stickers, then use them to slice everything multiple times in a second
RPR : speedrun ressource generation so it's reaping time all the time

For a tab targeting old school MMO, it's really not that bad, I just wish we had an active dodge for extra spice.
Also you get to play DDR up close with the bosses mechanics while maintaining your rotation at endgame activities so it's pretty fun.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I do think that if you like button-combo-based melee combat, NIN might fit well enough. It's quite different in practice but can scratch a similar itch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, gimme an active dodge and don't interrupt every skill on movement and I'd be happy.

GW2 not only lets you fire off every skill even when you don't have a target, I think there are only a half-dozen skills that make you stand still for a second or two.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

at least post the FFXIV branded one

But YoshiP still uses the Logitech G13 instead of that :colbert:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the G13 is really cool, but I never got around to adjusting my setup to work with it.

a shame they don't make them anymore.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, gimme an active dodge and don't interrupt every skill on movement and I'd be happy.

Playing melee or physical ranged (archer/bard, dancer, machinist) covers the second part of that at least. Casters having limited mobility is part of how they're balanced.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'd describe the melee DPS as follows:

MNK: GCD rotation based around maintaining buffs and a debuff through alternate combo options, with a burst every minute that relies on exploiting the combo structure. Go very fast.
NIN: Press every last button on your keyboard for your burst, then 123 until everything comes back up. More capable at range than other melee DPS.
DRG: Rigid GCD structure with lots of oGCDs to line up with your three buffs.
SAM: Get stickers with a three-branch GCD combo, then turn them into big numbers.
RPR: Generate multiple different resources through your basic combos, then dump your meter during your raid buff window.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
If you're like me and just care about the actual rotation flow instead of the UI/effects I've tried some basic descriptions for those I've played at 90 (actual mains please correct me and forgive me for going by memory):

DRG: rotation is alternating between a 123AB and 145BA with ogcd weaves on nearly every gcd. Doesn't really stray from this but there's a lot of ogcd things to press. I feel like it's pretty janky but I'm sure DRG mains will disagree

RPR: 123 that builds up to a positional precursor then positional. Enough of these and you enable a sicko mode which is two 12A's followed by a massive hit. Very "modern" job with some nice tools but also simplicity in design with shroud replacing your regular abilities instead of requiring new ones.

NIN: complex burst windows every minute but otherwise you're pretty much just pressing 123. Their distinguishing mechanic (mudras) requires memorizing different combinations of three steps. Once you build up that mudra muscle memory it's not actually that bad or hard but the burst windows require some practice to get right.

SAM and MNK I haven't played much so can't comment well

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MNK and NIN both have faster GCDs than other jobs, MNK is innate and it gets faster as you get higher level, while NIN gets a self-buff to speed up their GCD that gets easier to maintain as you go.

Try them all out thought, there's nothing stopping you!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have a G13 but it's irreplaceable at this point.

I used a very similar controller previously for another MMO and wore it out over a few years and then had to re-learn how to play without it, and I don't really want that to happen again

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

acumen posted:

DRG: rotation is alternating between a 123AB and 145BA with ogcd weaves on nearly every gcd. Doesn't really stray from this but there's a lot of ogcd things to press. I feel like it's pretty janky but I'm sure DRG mains will disagree

It's very smooth and feels great if you never make a mistake. Hit the wrong button once and you've lost a ton of damage and good luck the rest of the way because now your ogcds are all coming off cooldown at a different point in the rotation than you're used to.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ninjas are really cool.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good look!

I think I'm going to have to learn to play on a controller.
My work is at a desk so being hunched over for my job and main video game is untenable.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I have an MMO mouse with the numbers under the thumb, and it makes playing so much easier. There’s also an extra button next to the index finger that I bound to Shift, so I get access to two bars and movement (holding down left and right mouse buttons) with just my right hand. Unless I’m actively in a dungeon or raid or whatever, I can sit back in my chair and leisurely click around (and with some difficulty could be capable of dungeons and raids with one hand if I injured my left hand).

The mouse has also been useful for 3D modeling hobby work. Extra binds on the mouse is just a nice bit of quality of life. Definitely not saying it would be good for professionals, because I have no idea, but for the light stuff I do, it’s great.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Doomykins posted:

Ninjas are really cool.

And just because you upgrade to a ninja, it doesn't mean you ever have to stop looking like a dashing rogue!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love them. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Theris posted:

It's very smooth and feels great if you never make a mistake. Hit the wrong button once and you've lost a ton of damage and good luck the rest of the way because now your ogcds are all coming off cooldown at a different point in the rotation than you're used to.

I love everything about Dragoon except actually playing it, and this is why. It's the complete opposite of my main, Bard, where as long as you don't mess up your song rotation everything else is very flexible. There's optimization but if you hit the wrong button it's not going to cause any issues down the line. "Oh no, I forgot to refresh my dots and now need to spend one more GCD than usual using a nonideal attack to apply them..."

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been leveling Bard, and is using songs during trash pulls something that you eventually memorize? Like I try to have one up all the time, but I also want to have Wanderer's minuet up with all my cooldowns when we get to a boss. That means there are some times when a song is ending, but I don't want to start another one because we're too close to the boss, but sometimes I forget how many trash pulls are in a dungeon or how long trash takes to die. At a certain point I just want to give up and only use the song that lets me spam Rain of Death like crazy because that actually makes sense on trash pulls.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A Moose posted:

I've been leveling Bard, and is using songs during trash pulls something that you eventually memorize? Like I try to have one up all the time, but I also want to have Wanderer's minuet up with all my cooldowns when we get to a boss. That means there are some times when a song is ending, but I don't want to start another one because we're too close to the boss, but sometimes I forget how many trash pulls are in a dungeon or how long trash takes to die. At a certain point I just want to give up and only use the song that lets me spam Rain of Death like crazy because that actually makes sense on trash pulls.

As a healer main: Please do everything you can to make the trash pulls die faster instead of saving cooldowns for the bosses. Boss fights are the least scary thing in dungeons.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A Moose posted:

In a dungeon, I honestly would worry less about your boss opener and more about getting max deeps out on the trash. If you're going to run into problems, it's probably going to be on the trash if your tank is wall pulling. I'd rather use Devilment to speed up the trash clear and close the wipe window than save it for the boss and maybe get a 5% faster clear (assuming it doesn't come up during the fight anyway).

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

Good look!

I think I'm going to have to learn to play on a controller.
My work is at a desk so being hunched over for my job and main video game is untenable.

With the expanded cross bar (Which is a bitch to find and set up but God it feels great) you'll always have room for all of your abilities, ffxiv has really nice controller support when you fight the menus.

Also, personally I hardly notice the GCD at top level Reaper, it feels very actioney. Really the combat feels way less sluggish the higher you go in the levels.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

As a caster main I feel obligated to mention that you can actually move during the last 0.5 seconds of a cast without interrupting it. Its called slidecasting and getting good at it is pretty satisfying!

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Xun posted:

As a caster main I feel obligated to mention that you can actually move during the last 0.5 seconds of a cast without interrupting it. Its called slidecasting and getting good at it is pretty satisfying!

the hot tip on this is that if you put an emote on your bar, you can slidecast when the emote becomes its normal brightness again. don't need no addons :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mikemil828 posted:

Well if you decide that you really like this game you can buy a custom keypad such as this:

https://www.azeron.eu

I bought one of these but haven't set it up yet. Intimidating to make the change, though I keep meaning to. Trying to learn normal controller so that I'm functional whenever my Steam Deck finally arrives.

On another topic, at what point can I be confident that I'm a real liability to my FL team? My current record is 16-34-32, and while I'm no longer trying to make melee work in Frontline, I haven't seen a win in weeks. I just want that Garo mount and then I can go back to not caring because I get decent XP either way.

I'm doing better in CC, I think (Casual)...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the trick to dragoon is to main it for nearly a decade so the gcds flow through your brain like water, and then curse whenever you delay high jump

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
After maining rdm for a long time, I brought mch into some casual content. It is sssssoooo slow compared to rdm! Even that quick fire phase is slow, could probably slot some skill speed to change that. I'm probably playing it wrong.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

After maining rdm for a long time, I brought mch into some casual content. It is sssssoooo slow compared to rdm! Even that quick fire phase is slow, could probably slot some skill speed to change that. I'm probably playing it wrong.

Most of MCH's buttonmashing is during their Heat Blast phase. Once you get Ricochet, you'll be constantly mashing between Heat Blast, Ricochet, and Gauss Round, which can get pretty hectic. I find it a lot of fun, but it's definitely a lot more compressed into specific periods compared to Dualcast.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

MCH is actually higher APM than Red Mage. Are you alternating between Gauss Round and Richochet when spamming heat blast? Each heat blast greatly reduces the cooldown of those abilities so you can use them a bunch of times during that phase.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah absolutely. I remember it being super hectic doing that heat blast phase at lvl 80 but for some reason at 90 it's super slow feeling.
It may be that having up to three charges relieves some of the "must burn that charge!" Feeling. :shrug:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
MCH needs around 25% more actions/minute more than RDM. MCH and NIN are the two highest APM jobs in the game right now with ~45 APM even with 0 Skill Speed (which I believe is desirable for both). RDM is at ~36 APM, for comparison.

That's not to say that MCH has to feel fast just because there's objectively a lot of skill activations in it but I'm pretty sure your experience is an outlier.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Subjunctive posted:

On another topic, at what point can I be confident that I'm a real liability to my FL team? My current record is 16-34-32, and while I'm no longer trying to make melee work in Frontline, I haven't seen a win in weeks.
One person is not going to sink a Frontline team. You seem to just have very bad luck unfortunately :(

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah absolutely. I remember it being super hectic doing that heat blast phase at lvl 80 but for some reason at 90 it's super slow feeling.
It may be that having up to three charges relieves some of the "must burn that charge!" Feeling. :shrug:
You had three charges of Gauss Round and Ricochet at 80 too. Machinist is the second busiest class as Xero mentioned, with my P1S clears on it clocking in at around 46 casts per minute. One thing I can think of for MCH feeling slow is are you using Barrel Stabilizer? That gives you 50 Heat Gauge so that you can Hypercharge in your opener, and then you get 50 Heat Gauge again every 30-35 seconds just from doing your 123 combo.

Or maybe you're just in some sort of zen state where MCH feels slow even with objectively more button pressing than RDM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'll also recommend using a controller, I haven't ever played FFXIV on a keyboard and mouse but I don't think I would enjoy playing MNK as much as I do if I wasn't using a controller.