Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Papes posted:

Trail runners over boots all day

I remember when my ankles used to work :( it's boots all the way for me now.

Also, as a fyi, if you're thinking about any sort of tape to cover hotspots try wearing some for a day at home to see if you have any skin reaction to long term exposure to adhesives. It's not a fun discovery a day into the wilderness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
10 miles in FL heat today with a full pack. Dark cloud rolled up at mile 8 and after the pouring rain and cooler temps I was somehow less wet and definitely less stinky.

Found a good lookout over some marsh

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any gator buddies?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, hundreds out there. When I bike there I see 40-50 every time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s so coooool. I go there for work all the time and I’ve never seen one. I don’t go into the Everglades but still.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is Orlando area, Lake Apopka to be exact.

The gators in the ‘glades are much bigger :stare:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I saw a couple of Gators in South Carolina when hiking. Two in the water near me and a few skulls and bits in the road.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
RI is pretty flat, so if you're looking for mountain hiking, you're going to have to drive a little bit. There are some cool salt marshes and bird sanctuaries in southwest RI, but not much in terms of elevation.
~1 hour drive time I'd check out Purgatory Chasm, Blue Hills reservation, or some of the state parks in West Connecticut
~2 hours will get you to the Berkshires, Greylock is a nice hike.
~3-4 hours will get you to the Catskills, or I'd recommend the white mountains. Lafayette ridge is a great dayhike that can be expanded into a Pemi loop if you're interested in backpacking. You can also check out the Presidential range- Mt Washington is the biggest deal in the area, so it tends to be bustling on summer weekends. Mahoosuc Notch is a little further, but a really fun dayhike as well. Mt. Bright has excellent views, if that's important.
~5-6 hours will get you to Baxter St Park, where Katahdin is located. If you have this much time to drive, I'd alternatively recommend Acadia NP, which has a wide variety of biomes, including semi-alpine zones and tidal caves.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
We had to cut our 3 day 2 night down by a day due to the heat. The San Mateo Wilderness trip was still fun, even though it hit 100F by noon on the first day. At least the night was cool and we could sleep out in the open.

As usual we were way overpacked. I am still new to backpacking, so it did at least provided me with some real world experience and I can cut out a buck of stuff for next time.

And I saw a few new to me in the wild lizards.

1) Horned toad
2) A male and female Granite Spiny lizard. Pretty cool, they are completely different colors.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Monday!

I wish I could make a proper road trip out of it, but my wife is flying over with our four month old and I'm following in the car with our cats. I hate the idea of leaving them in the car for any period of time, even if the weather is agreeable. I might stop at Theodore Roosevelt NP for some photos.

Roosevelt is great to see by car. we did the drive in about four hours through the park and saw mustangs, prairie dogs, bison... totally worth it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Rosevelt is very car friendly. I also highly recommend the north unit. It’s a shorter in and out but it’s a very dramatic change of scenery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The north unit is kinda like badlands NP.. but with a river and trees.

Also the cannonball concretions spot.

A bit of a detour if you're pressed for time but otherwise it's well worth the trip up there.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So I'm looking for some water shoes that are comfortable to wear all day as I'll be doing water excursions from a cruise boat. If I'm not on a boat I'll be walking around a beach or paved areas.

Problem is that I normally wear a US 12 2E (wide) and I cannot find one that fits. A US 13 works most of the time for other shoe types but all the water shoes I've tried in 13 seem to run small and I'm sure that wearing them longer than an hour or so will be a bad idea.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Numlock posted:

So I'm looking for some water shoes that are comfortable to wear all day as I'll be doing water excursions from a cruise boat. If I'm not on a boat I'll be walking around a beach or paved areas.

Problem is that I normally wear a US 12 2E (wide) and I cannot find one that fits. A US 13 works most of the time for other shoe types but all the water shoes I've tried in 13 seem to run small and I'm sure that wearing them longer than an hour or so will be a bad idea.

Specially water shoes or can they be sandals like chacos, keens, or tivas?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Verman posted:

Specially water shoes or can they be sandals like chacos, keens, or tivas?

I'd prefer non-sandle options that looked more like regular atheletic shoes.

I've found sandles do a poor job keeping debries away form my feet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I wish I could help more but I use Chacos for that sort of thing. I’d drop by an REI and see what you could try on. Xero Shoes and O’Neill look like they have some decent options for you.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I use my old Reebok Nanos as water shoes. They dry out in the sun relatively fast and are light weight/porous so they don’t hold water when getting out of the lake or whatever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Check out some of the Xero options. I use one of their sandals for wet hikes. Make sure you wear them a lot before the trip though, they wear very differently than trainers and boots as far as where the heat spots and blisters form.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Numlock posted:

Keens absolutely don't work for my feet at all, but I know a lot of customers really liked the Keen Newport sandals for this type of situation. They're sandals, but the design keeps them pretty debris free for the most part. I believe they also have a couple other models with the closed toe that are similar. Keens also are pretty large foot friendly.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 28, 2022

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just did a big 10 mile hike at a local state park this Monday, and I had forgotten how great a good breeze can feel on a hot day. My only regret is that I forgot my phone at home so no fun pictures of the marshes.

Mainly, I need to build my endurance up again. Getting back into the swing of regular hiking during the summer can be a lot.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Curious for suggestions on food storage bag for my first backpacking trip in July in Michigan. It’s only 3 days so I don’t need a ton of food. I believe the bear threat there is quite low and bear canisters are not required, I think I’m more worried about mice and raccoons. Listed below are what I currently feel about my available options but I keep changing my mind:

Bear canister - still the most foolproof solution but also the biggest and heaviest

Food bag + hang - seems appealing but I’m a first timer so I feel like I’d mess it up and get my stuff stolen by rodents

Ursack - $$$ but otherwise needs suiting

Ratsack or other critter bag - this is kind of what I’m thinking at this point unless talked out of it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Loksak inside a dry bag. Never had a problem with them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Papes posted:

Curious for suggestions on food storage bag for my first backpacking trip in July in Michigan. It’s only 3 days so I don’t need a ton of food. I believe the bear threat there is quite low and bear canisters are not required, I think I’m more worried about mice and raccoons. Listed below are what I currently feel about my available options but I keep changing my mind:

Bear canister - still the most foolproof solution but also the biggest and heaviest

Food bag + hang - seems appealing but I’m a first timer so I feel like I’d mess it up and get my stuff stolen by rodents

Ursack - $$$ but otherwise needs suiting

Ratsack or other critter bag - this is kind of what I’m thinking at this point unless talked out of it

whereabouts in MI? We only have black bears here but they can be persistent fuckers.

bear canisters can be a drat good solution for shorter trips since the weight is manageable and you can just cram drat near everything not clothing or misc gear in there and use it as a seat in camp. i have an ursack as well and i love it. its expensive indeed but lightweight and trustworthy. id imagine it is more resistant to mice and squirrels as well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate my bear can so much lol. It's so heavy and bulky. If a place doesn't require a canister, I just layer bags (odor/waterproof inside an ursack), minimize odors, cook away from tent, and hang away from tent. But even when I wasn't this careful I still never had anything come after my food.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

Loksak inside a dry bag. Never had a problem with them.

I will look into this. Do you hang it?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

whereabouts in MI? We only have black bears here but they can be persistent fuckers.

Maninstee river trail

Papes fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 28, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Papes posted:

Maninstee river trail

Nice! I've looked into that and not done it yet, excited to hear from you!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Papes posted:

Sometimes I do hang it in my dry bag, but it’s never attracted ants, raccoons, or mice even when just laid in the ground near camp. It really does seem to be scent proof, but I also take care to get food out and reseal it before touching food etc. it’s really just a thicker ziploc, but I’ve been happy with it.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just did a big 10 mile hike at a local state park this Monday, and I had forgotten how great a good breeze can feel on a hot day. My only regret is that I forgot my phone at home so no fun pictures of the marshes.

Mainly, I need to build my endurance up again. Getting back into the swing of regular hiking during the summer can be a lot.

I deal with the same thing every year. Super lazy winters, then hiking long distances trying to build endurance for those really stupidly long ones. It's really the bottom of my feet that give me the most issues and probably my biggest complaint with any shoe company is how crappy their foam insoles are. I feel like I'm always buying gel insoles to get more life out of my shoes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

so does thingvellir count as a hike

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You walked from one continent to another while visiting it, so I'll say yes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We swam to an island about 200m away from shore and spent a night there. I forgot to put my phone to a waterproof pouch and the phone died. Otherwise a fun trip. We just put all the stuff to a trash bag and pushed it forward while swimming.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'm thinking of doing a week on the Appalachian trail in Georgia in August. It's difficult to find information about the weather on the trail at that time of year because it's not really a time people are getting back or leaving. Has anyone hiked in the mountains in Georgia that time of year? What am I to expect?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

100 degrees and 100% humidity. Check out the TNGA bike race documentary Ride to Extraordinary if you want to see conditions better. I did it in late Sept and it was still rough.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It'll just be really hot and humid. There may or may not be rain. Lots of insects.

I'd plan on getting up early each day and doing much of the hiking early while it's still nice out. Maybe take a siesta.

E: at the risk of sounding like a wimp, I don't really enjoy hiking in the summer here. It can be pretty unpleasant. The streams will still be freezing cold though!

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 2, 2022

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

drat, I was really hoping it would be nicer since it was up in the mountains.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

RodShaft posted:

drat, I was really hoping it would be nicer since it was up in the mountains.

I worked for a bike tour in Virginia during college and rode 8x across the state which included the Blue Ridge Parkway,

Yes, really hot and humid. I used to stop at local stores and down a quart of OJ during the ride.

The good thing? It left me with an adaption to heat and humidity that lasts even now (decades later). Also dropped a lot of weight which I stupidly gained back (and more) in graduate school (eventually lost it).

Which enabled me to bike from the office to the train station one fine day in Los Angeles without much of a fuss.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Then does anyone have a recommendation for a decent 7 to 10 day hike around a hundred miles ish? That wouldn't be hell in mid to late August?

I've been hiking for a year plus, and I've camped and been outdoorsy my whole life. But this would be my friend's first hiking trip and while I'm not worried about him being able to physically do it because he runs marathons, I don't want him to be miserable because I want to trick him into hiking more and more often.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RodShaft posted:

Then does anyone have a recommendation for a decent 7 to 10 day hike around a hundred miles ish? That wouldn't be hell in mid to late August?

I've been hiking for a year plus, and I've camped and been outdoorsy my whole life. But this would be my friend's first hiking trip and while I'm not worried about him being able to physically do it because he runs marathons, I don't want him to be miserable because I want to trick him into hiking more and more often.

Maybe try for a first big hike in the winter. Hell of a lot easier to wear a coat than stay comfy in the middle of summer.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Unfortunately the only time we're available we could put it off till spring which we may do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

RodShaft posted:

There's a 102 mile trail in the Uinta mountains in Utah that traverses the whole range called the Highline Trail. If you don't mind elevation it could be good