Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Takes No Damage posted:

Necroquoting to ask if this is meant to imply that the Cos' was trying to knock out Solder Boy for some after hours shenanigans but he metabolized it as just being a heavy pour? Very slight :lol: if so.

I think they're keeping it ambiguous just how much of an awful person Soldier Boy is. He may have meant it that way, or he may have known that Cosby was knocking out women to rape them and doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Last Call posted:

He's said this about other things before.

He's one of those "I thought about doing this!" type of guys once he see's something popular.

In short I take what he says with a grain of salt.

i have no issue believing he had an idea around "bad superheroes," that's a pretty straightforward common idea. most popular things aren't some crazy weirdo idea only the creator could possibly have dreamt up, they're usually interesting ideas lots of people have thought about and would be excited to see realized. ideas are easy to have anyway, who isn't constantly thinking of stuff they'd be interested in seeing, making, or imagining more about?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

They keep having scenes of Starlight powering up and characters chastising her for how weak she is, I'd love to see a payoff where she hasn't been going all out this whole time because she doesn't want to hurt people and next time someone says that to her she melts their head off. Maybe they have a confrontation in a nuclear power plant and she powers the gently caress up or something.

The season trailer has soldier boy blocking one of her blasts with his shield, probably in next episode. I'd love to see her get a good lick in.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ashley would have control over her hair, like, using it as a prehensile limb and poo poo if she was a supe.

Supe Ashley is Bayonetta?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
She tears the clumps out and they turn into Tribbles that attack her foes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Khanstant posted:

Hughie being unsatisfied with A-Train's finally sincere apology was a good Hughie moment, caught him off guard and wasn't what he was really hoping to hear.

It was a great scene for A-Train as well. He was the way he was because he was completely insulated and it made him self-centred. He didn't apologise to Hughie before because he didn't see the need - these things happen. He co-opted the Black Rights movement because it looked good for his image. Now he's felt the pain of having his brother crippled by a supe because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he's seen how completely insincere corporate-mandated apologies come across to the people they're given to, and through this he's finally able to empathise with someone. I don't necessarily see A-Train walking the Damascus road, but he's no longer irredeemable.

I love the way they false sold it at the start to look like A-Train was going to be a dick again, too. That was good TV and it set up Hughie's response perfectly.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Jedit posted:

It was a great scene for A-Train as well. He was the way he was because he was completely insulated and it made him self-centred. He didn't apologise to Hughie before because he didn't see the need - these things happen. He co-opted the Black Rights movement because it looked good for his image. Now he's felt the pain of having his brother crippled by a supe because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he's seen how completely insincere corporate-mandated apologies come across to the people they're given to, and through this he's finally able to empathise with someone. I don't necessarily see A-Train walking the Damascus road, but he's no longer irredeemable.

I love the way they false sold it at the start to look like A-Train was going to be a dick again, too. That was good TV and it set up Hughie's response perfectly.
It's also the reason I think A-Train is actually dead. I've heard people saying that he has got more room to grow, but I don't see it really. In that episode he basically brought the various strands of his story arc to a close - he sincerely apologised to Hughie for what happened to Robin, he avenged his brother/community by taking out Blue Hawk, against Ashley/Vought's wishes, he did A Good Thing without having an explicit Good Guy redemption, which would be hollow given he got an actual Good Guy in SuperSonic killed.

I don't know what they could do with him now that wouldn't be.. boring? We don't need to see his brother struggling with not being able to walk, the threat of Blue Hawk in that particular community has been dealt with, etc.

I agree that they did a great job with the dialogue in that apology scene to make it seem like he was unrepentant.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
idk "argh someone i care about got hurt... now i understand the pain the murders i did caused!" is not a great storyline

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

If he were a mere human, sure. But as a supe who has been protected by an organisation for however long, and has never had to actually face any real consequences, it's more resonant I think. I thought it was a pretty big moment for his character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

idk "argh someone i care about got hurt... now i understand the pain the murders i did caused!" is not a great storyline

A-Train didn't murder Robin, he killed her by accident through carelessness. And it's not like he didn't understand that he'd hurt Hughie - he just didn't accept responsibility for it. He tried to blame the victim and Vought protected him, just like they always have done for supes. They protected him, and they told him that it wasn't his fault because they can't have their product developing doubt in himself. Now he has accepted responsibility, and that's why he's a better character.

Note also that he's not going to show any more guilt over murdering Popclaw any time soon. He knows what he did there and why.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Durzel posted:

If he were a mere human, sure. But as a supe who has been protected by an organisation for however long, and has never had to actually face any real consequences, it's more resonant I think. I thought it was a pretty big moment for his character.

Yeah its also why 'sincerely apologises, then willingly suffers real consequences in order to save more innocents from Blue Hawk' is the natural end to his arc.

Wouldn't be surprised if he isn't dead, but walking back the consequences for him would also be the show reversing itself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Yeah its also why 'sincerely apologises, then willingly suffers real consequences in order to save more innocents from Blue Hawk' is the natural end to his arc.

Wouldn't be surprised if he isn't dead, but walking back the consequences for him would also be the show reversing itself.

Disagree. It's not walking back consequences if A-Train survives, it's setting up him using his powers one last time for something important in the knowledge that it will probably kill him. It wouldn't even be wholly unsatisfactory if he doesn't die then - although he probably will - as long as he has to accept that he's finished as a speedster.

E: saving Hughie from Homelander after the temp V wears off mid-fight would be a little clichéd, but it'd be perfect symmetry.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 28, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/1541642404880449536?t=SlyoBV7XxgaJUeuv-lYtYA&s=19

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the shield is so idiots will understand that he's this universes captain america, don't think there's much more to it than that tbh.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The first thing he does when Homelander flies at him is drop the shield: he has it when they're squaring off and then it's gone when they start going at it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Well that's why it's good if he dies, he's been too lovely to deserve a real redemption arc so keeping him around seems like it would just be treading water

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Tender Bender posted:

Well that's why it's good if he dies, he's been too lovely to deserve a real redemption arc so keeping him around seems like it would just be treading water

Yeah after Supersonic I really lost all sympathy s3 was building up for him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Someone also should have given him the nerd logic case though

Seriously man what the hell did you expect to do to the second stronger supe ever to exist with pistol rounds?

MM knows fighting soldier boy is suicide but it’s the principle of the thing.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Habibi posted:

. It seems extra dense / heavy / sturdy, so maybe it also made punching through a tank easier.

It's made of Voughtanium, of course it's extra dense

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

boo_radley posted:

It's made of Voughtanium, of course it's extra dense

The second densest material in the world, after Deepium.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, he and Deep kind of occupy very similar roles as washed up members of the Seven who are kept around to flirt with redemption but also get tormented by Homelander. The Deep is much more entertaining in that purgatory.

I don't object to A-train surviving because I do like the character, but he needs something different to do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

It's not walking back consequences if A-Train survives, it's setting up him using his powers one last time for something important in the knowledge that it will probably kill him.

Literally what he did in the last episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, bets they can do with A Train now is have him... do the exact same thing? idk what that could add, if he helps beat up homelander or whatever then dies, this is a far more appropriate moment for his death to be meaningful to his arc.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just have him be permanently crippled with crutches so he can just retire

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

A-train mute and wheelchair bound stuck communicating via little bell

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's A-train who survives apparent on-screen death and returns in a Darth Vader suit

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I went back and rewatched a couple of episodes from earlier in the season, and in a show with great character moments having Maeve jump Butcher right after he (sincerely, imo) talks about wiping out all supes is perfect. Nothing underscores her relentless self loathing quite like being attracted to Butcher.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Literally what he did in the last episode.

A-Train knew he had problems, but he's had this thing for a while about resting up, recharging and healing. Now he knows he's not going to heal. That's the point where the last stand works in drama - when you can't lie to yourself any more that there's hope. It's a significant difference.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

A-Train knew he had problems, but he's had this thing for a while about resting up, recharging and healing. Now he knows he's not going to heal. That's the point where the last stand works in drama - when you can't lie to yourself any more that there's hope. It's a significant difference.
Right, that's why he took his last stand by killing Blue Hawk knowing he would die in the process.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Eau de MacGowan posted:

This kind of thing happens to a million people every week. It's completely realistic and believable. Most people are selfish pieces of poo poo who trap themselves in a bubble and only when their personal bubble is popped do they start to care

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BurritoJustice posted:

They keep having scenes of Starlight powering up and characters chastising her for how weak she is, I'd love to see a payoff where she hasn't been going all out this whole time because she doesn't want to hurt people and next time someone says that to her she melts their head off. Maybe they have a confrontation in a nuclear power plant and she powers the gently caress up or something.

The season trailer has soldier boy blocking one of her blasts with his shield, probably in next episode. I'd love to see her get a good lick in.

I'd really like to see what she can do. In the comics, I think she could fly and make little Jubilee sparkles? In the end, she flees Homelander and then isn't seen until it's all over. Her character got treated really lovely to make points about others, especially Hughie, so I'm looking forward to her getting to do more.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

loving beautiful.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ArtoriasTK/status/1541685613434441729?t=WsLBjpU0y_kPZsfJDhCpVA&s=19

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kojima retweeted that lmao

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only other character development (or story beat) I can see for A-Train is for him to do a big press conference (or possibly just an informal stream like Starlight) where he basically goes ACAB, then Vought drops him like a bag of dirt and maybe Homelander kills him for making the company look bad.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Jedit posted:

It would be pretty lame if they basically did a "A-Train was saved by Vought off camera" thing, because he's already gone through the whole heart attack & recovery process when he faced off against Starlight and Hughie. He would just end up in the hospital again, then recover, to do what? "One more run that means something before my heart definitely goes this time!". It would completely suck the pathos out of what he did to Blue Hawk, i.e. taking him out at great personal risk. I think it's open to interpretation on whether he knew for sure that he would die doing what he did, but he had to have assumed that he would, because of the conversation he had with his brother outside of that wellness centre.

The significance of the scene is that in that moment he sacrificed himself for his local community. He did something completely selfless, and brave. Surviving that through the magical Vought air ambulance service is possible, but I think it would be a poor direction for the show to take, even if I would have liked to have seen A-Train carry on in the show.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Riatsala posted:

I went back and rewatched a couple of episodes from earlier in the season, and in a show with great character moments having Maeve jump Butcher right after he (sincerely, imo) talks about wiping out all supes is perfect. Nothing underscores her relentless self loathing quite like being attracted to Butcher.

Yeah, I said at the time she jumps him right after he says exactly what she said in the previous episode: that she deserves to die. It's hosed up but it's a good character moment for her.

massive spider posted:

MM knows fighting soldier boy is suicide but it’s the principle of the thing.

I actually didn't think him trying to suicide multiple times against Soldier Boy fit that well with his character. I mean, he's got a daughter. And his whole grievance is that a supe killing his family hosed him up. So I'm not sure he'd be that keen to go hand-to-hand and get splattered and gently caress up his daughter's life like his was. Felt more like a Butcher move.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

‘The Boys’ Showrunner and Stars Spill ‘Herogasm’ Secrets, Including the One Note Amazon Gave on Superhero Orgy

Huh, the Octopus was practical, not VFX.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 28, 2022

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Durzel posted:

The significance of the scene is that in that moment he sacrificed himself for his local community. He did something completely selfless, and brave. Surviving that through the magical Vought air ambulance service is possible, but I think it would be a poor direction for the show to take, even if I would have liked to have seen A-Train carry on in the show.

I don't know if I'd call it selfless. He did it out of revenge and anger over his brother, the only person besides Popclaw he's been shown to care about it. Still it's as much redemption as someone like him is going to get, and it was a great scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
This is The Boys, nobody is actually dead until they're shown as meat chunks.