Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The Celsius CEO just got arrested in a plane about to leave for Israel, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Haven't verified this elsewhere but posting anyway because funny.

https://www.theblock.co/post/154368/celsius-seeks-show-of-client-support-as-lawyers-push-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy

Embattled crypto lender Celsius Network is resisting a recommendation from its own lawyers to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy — and seeking a show of support from users to help win the internal argument against the suits.

With the company’s management prevented from making any public pronouncements due to legal advice, Celsius believes many of its retail clients would prefer the firm to avoid bankruptcy, according to people with knowledge of the situation. To that end, users can show their support by engaging “HODL Mode” in their Celsius account, said the people.

Celsius didn’t respond to a request for comment. 

Celsius’s move is a last throw of the dice as it teeters on the edge of bankruptcy after being forced to freeze client withdrawals on June 12. The company, which offers retail investors returns on their crypto holdings and held more than $10 billion of client assets, found itself unable to honor its obligations as crypto markets cratered in recent weeks.

Amid the fallout, The Block reported that Celsius has appointed Wall Street giant Citigroup to advise on its financial options and The Wall Street Journal said the lender is working with lawyers from Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld and restructuring-focused management consultants from Alvarez & Marsal. 

I have Questions(tm)

If Celsius' management is forbidden from making public announcements due to legal advice, who exactly is stating "Celsius believes..." and suggesting that engaging "HODL Mode" will do jack or poo poo? Who are "the people?" Is this literally just astroturf by The Block to attempt to keep their own assets solvent as they beat feet to the exit?

Yes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Someone read the fine print on HODL mode. Without looking into it at all I'm putting at lest 2:1 odds that it says something like "by agreeing to HODL mode you will be placed last in line with other creditors in the event of bankrupcy"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol I was bored enough to click aorund in their FAQ. Didn't find that but did find this:

quote:

DOES CELSIUS HAVE AN INSURANCE POLICY?
Celsius does not have an insurance policy.
Fireblocks, our custodian, provides insurance on digital assets held by Celsius.
However, we generate interest rewards by deploying assets. When these assets are out of Celsius’s control, they can’t be insured by such insurance.
To ensure coin loans are always returned to Celsius, we require borrowers to post collateral of up to 150% (which means that the borrower gives Celsius an alternative asset as collateral for the asset they are borrowing) or we conduct thorough due diligence reviews of borrower’s financials and repayment ability.

:laffo:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cyrano4747 posted:

Someone read the fine print on HODL mode. Without looking into it at all I'm putting at lest 2:1 odds that it says something like "by agreeing to HODL mode you will be placed last in line with other creditors in the event of bankrupcy"

"Congratulations.
You have engaged HODL mode and are now a valued hodler of x unsecured bonds."

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Love to give 150% collateral in the form of cryptocurrency that suddenly loses half its value

Also a lot of people seem to have been throwing money at defi stuff without asking questions like "why would someone post 150% collateral to borrow money at a high interest rate rather than just sell the supposedly liquid collateral asset?"

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 27, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Qwertycoatl posted:

Love to give 150% collateral in the form of cryptocurrency that suddenly loses half its value

Also a lot of people seem to have been throwing money at defi stuff without asking questions like "why would someone post 150% collateral to borrow money at a high interest rate rather than just sell the supposedly liquid collateral asset?"

yeah but did you hear that they PROMISE 40 percent returns? You can't argue with those made up scam number!

e, oh your account is now locked from withdrawals due to you not being a whale, so like I guess get out.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol I was bored enough to click aorund in their FAQ. Didn't find that but did find this:

:laffo:

Whoever said crypto is just speedrunning the 1920's financial crash was very on the nose.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Warmachine posted:

I have Questions(tm)

If Celsius' management is forbidden from making public announcements due to legal advice, who exactly is stating "Celsius believes..." and suggesting that engaging "HODL Mode" will do jack or poo poo? Who are "the people?" Is this literally just astroturf by The Block to attempt to keep their own assets solvent as they beat feet to the exit?

Yes.

it is very obviously sourced by celsius management having directly called up that website

and i very much need to find someone from akin and force them to tell me what their faces looked like when they got this presentation from management about "well we might be bankrupt but our customers would prefer we weren't"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

oh that's not in the fine print on HODL mode, that's in the fine print on the earn service

quote:

D. Earn Rewards

Our Earn Service allows you to earn a financing fee from Celsius, referred to as “Rewards,” in the form of Digital Assets (either in-kind, i.e., in the same Digital Asset you transfer, or in CEL Tokens, where permitted) in exchange for entering into open-ended loans of your Eligible Digital Assets to Celsius under the terms hereof. If our Earn Service is available to you, upon your election, you will lend your Eligible Digital Assets to Celsius and grant Celsius all rights and title to such Digital Assets, for Celsius to use in its sole discretion while using the Earn Service.
https://celsius.network/terms-of-use

the bolding is in the original and says "you are an unsecured creditor"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

evilweasel posted:

it is very obviously sourced by celsius management having directly called up that website

and i very much need to find someone from akin and force them to tell me what their faces looked like when they got this presentation from management about "well we might be bankrupt but our customers would prefer we weren't"

I want to see the bottle of liquor the counsel handling their case keeps in the drawer before and after they find out management completely disregarded their advice about talking to the press in a super transparent way. You know, assuming you're not being facetious here--it's 5PM and I've got work burnout.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Warmachine posted:

I want to see the bottle of liquor the counsel handling their case keeps in the drawer before and after they find out management completely disregarded their advice about talking to the press in a super transparent way. You know, assuming you're not being facetious here--it's 5PM and I've got work burnout.

oh I'm serious, I think that's so obviously sourced to management that when management gets sued the creditors can argue to get that advice since management waived attorney client privilege

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bets Were Made: Celsius does not have an insurance policy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Celsius ownership: Sure we're insolvent today, but if we drag our feet on bankruptcy long enough crypto might rebound and bail us out. HODL!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

That’s a loot box

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Those archaeologists either never played Zelda or have the world’s best self restraint

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRl3r4q_dUY

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FrozenVent posted:

Ahahaha he should have got out a week ago. Even Lyle Langley got out of town before everything went belly up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/slashdot/status/1541625107101011968

This could've been so much more entertaining.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s not crazy, early Islamic states just used Roman currency for a while after the Islamic conquest. It slowly transformed into a more Islamic flavor over time but man that must have been awkward

*squints in Pieces of Eight*

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there were literal centuries where they just had librii solidii and denarii as units of account and all the coins were gone

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there were literal centuries where they just had librii solidii and denarii as units of account and all the coins were gone

If only they'd known about slurp juice back then

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Vox Nihili posted:

Celsius ownership: Sure we're insolvent today, but if we drag our feet on bankruptcy long enough crypto might rebound and bail us out. HODL!

They noticed that FTX/SBF is bailing out or buying up all the struggling crypto companies, so if they can just get a few more days so their email doesn't get shut off, maybe they'll get an offer coming in and they can offload their whole bag of poo poo to someone who'll buy anything and may soon be the only (now worthless) crypto game in town

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FrozenVent posted:

Bad With Mossad

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Don’t sleep on reading the actual report. It’s full of internal Robinhood comms as they try desperately to prevent total disaster.

quote:

Despite years of operating their own clearing operation, during this period Robinhood employees remained unaware of how the NSCC calculated its collateral charges and the implications for the company’s operations.

“Apparently we don’t have enough money to pay NSCC fees. Who knew about NSCC fees?”
“NCSS fees…”
“They charge ‘risk fees’”
“Interesting”

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

doingitwrong posted:

Don’t sleep on reading the actual report. It’s full of internal Robinhood comms as they try desperately to prevent total disaster.

quote:

On the morning of January 28, 2021, Jim Swartwout texted Gretchen Howard at 6:29 a.m. EST, writing 'Huge liquidity issue.'"
that just sounds like they have a baby and it had watery diarrhea

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of the larger alt coins providers is threatening to take all their money and flee the country if the SEC decides they were scamming people.

And all of the bag holders are cheering them on to take the money and run. Because they know that he will definitely be transparent and give it all back, but only when he isn't forced to.

quote:

Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse Says Company Will Leave US if SEC Wins Lawsuit: Report

quote:

On the one hand I’d like to work for ripple. On the other it feels sort of as risky as holding xrp right now

quote:

I would be leaving the US too. It’s almost a third world country at this point

quote:

quote:

Is this a bad sign for the lawsuit?

Nah. All he’s saying is if the SEC win after all the corruption that been exposed within it for this lawsuit to take place then Ripple doesn’t want to be in the US.

quote:

Good. More companies should leave the US because there's too much regulatory risk here for a global crypto industry. Stifling innovation and suppressing new technologies is a part of the stranglehold that the Wall St. has on government. They don't want new competitors.

quote:

quote:

Yep, thinking the same thing. Sell your xrp for a stable, if it's on a us catering exchange, buy on gate.io send it to a hardware wallet.

Scared money don't make money. Sounds like a funny cliche saying, but it's true. Imagine how you'd feel if Ripple wins or settles favorably (which is how it's looking).

quote:

quote:

Went from sec has no case, to we lose good bye.

Yeah, he was saying they had no case against them, so why even entertain the idea of losing? That's loser thinking.

quote:

quote:

Because the only way the sec wins is corruption.

Ahh so the sec will definitely win

quote:

I trust Brad with my money more than I trust the SEC's idea of "what's best for me" a hundred times over. I hope Brad flees their jurisdiction and keeps our XRP safe.

quote:

quote:

Ripple is a downright scammy org. Anyone thinking differently probably had money on Celsius or LUNA.

It's 2022 and people are still spreading the debunked FUD around Ripple/XRP.

Oh no, what if SEC starts preventing me from being scammed? Think of the horrible precedent this would set. Imagine a world where I can't get in on the scam early (because I will definitely know when to pull out of the scam) or even worse... one where scams don't exist at all.

*shudder*

quote:

quote:

if sec wins it just means they can go after other projects as well with the same reasons... and probably win as well

And that would lead to a lot of us getting rekt. gently caress the SEC

quote:

Moons would probably be shut down at that point

quote:

quote:

quote:

You do realize the SEC could use this case to declare any cryptocurrency a security and basically stop any US exchange from trading it, right? Notice how Coinbase delisted XRP? That could be Bitcoin or Ethereum any day they’d like. This case would allow them to say Coinbase and any US exchange has been illegal selling securities and shut them all down

Most are though. Most see no actual usage as anything other than an investment to buy low and sell high later, and they enrich founders.

Show me on the doll where crypto touched you

Don't worry. Just because their entire project is based on a made up problem that they invented, that doesn't mean they won't accidentally change the world. Inventing an electric car was a made up problem until we realized it wasn't.

It turns out that banks actually don't like maximizing their profits and are purposefully losing money to protect the "that's the way it has always been mindset." XRP wants to make profits at any cost and that is why they have solved this problem and will then decide to not maximize their profits and pass it on to the consumer! Therefore, fiat currency will be gone in 10 years and XRP will be the new global currency. Better get in now!

quote:

quote:

Ripple's / XRP's whole argument of "solving the trillion $ banking vostro/nostro problem" is made up whole cloth, by them. It's been a fraud from the beginning.

In fact if you try to google the vostro/nostro problem you won't find anyone talking about it, ever, before Ripple started claiming to have it solved.

Banking is an industry where “that’s just the way it is” is the standard. Nostro/vostro is how everybody has always done it, so it’s not a problem, it’s the standard. Nobody talks about it in the same way that nobody in the 90’s talked about how cars need gas. “They need gas. Always have, always will.”

It wasn’t till Tesla came along and showed that you can make a good car that doesn’t need gas that people started questioning the gas standard. Still then, a large number of people believed gas wasn’t really a problem and this electric thing is a fad.

Now we are looking at all cars being electric in a decade, but we didn’t see this coming till fairly recently. Ripple has pointed out a problem that most banks didn’t consider a problem because “it needs prefunding. Always has, always will”. When they win their case with the SEC (probably have to pay a nominal fine in a settlement so that the SEC can save face) they will get the last parts of the puzzle to show banks there is a much better option.

Maybe you're just jealous that I have no way of getting any of my investment back if I get scammed? That is actually a very good thing because FUDsters won't demand refunds that kill the project since all the money is under one guy's control and he can invest 100% in research without having to worry about those things that kill project; like insuring deposits or not stealing all the money.

quote:

You're wasting your logic and breath on people who chose not to listen xD

The good thing about all of this is that we, the common people, are not important for the potential success of XRP.

Sure, we can buy some and potentially get rich(er) if their plans work out but if no individual bought any, it wouldn't matter as the plans are not affected by us and our choices.

Not many coins have that for them, and it's quite amusing seeing all the haters in this sub :D

Time will tell how much % of their plans will work out, and if the majority does succeed, then we'll see crying from the very same haters from today (all these years) xD

The CEO of Ripple wouldn't scam us, because he is a person. Only corporations (who are not run by people and are sentient legal entities) scam people by leaving the country when they have to prove they aren't scamming people.

Also, forcing CEOs to disclose whether they put all of the company's money into their personal offshore bank account is exactly the same as forcing a woman who is raped to give birth to her rapist's baby.

quote:

quote:

Was about to say. Someone doesn’t just give up and completely leave a country if the lose without some other most likely sketchy reason.

Companies perhaps. But people do this all the darn time.

Judges make lovely decisions all the time. I think I can even recall one in the news the other day...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That might legit be the most insane thing posted here

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A good crosspost for those that don’t browse AI:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

A good crosspost for those that don’t browse AI:

Wrong thread. You are mistaking this entertainment video, which is being produced to drive ad revenue, with a documentary.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
for that ripple thing, that guy can't just like take a suitcase of cash through security at Orlando Airport, he'd have to put it in a bank to wire it internationally, and certainly the gubberment would keep an eye on that, and it's not like you can you drop off $250000 at a chase, and do a wire transfer to bolivia and the bank/feds not get their fingers on it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hope those Ripple nerds lose all their money

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

for that ripple thing, that guy can't just like take a suitcase of cash through security at Orlando Airport, he'd have to put it in a bank to wire it internationally, and certainly the gubberment would keep an eye on that, and it's not like you can you drop off $250000 at a chase, and do a wire transfer to bolivia and the bank/feds not get their fingers on it?

Cash -> Diamonds -> Balloon -> Anus -> Airplane.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The ripple CEO is fighting to prevent XRP from being deemed a security by the SEC. The SEC charged him with $1.3 billion in securities fraud and operating as an unlicensed securities broker.

If everyone just bought the tokens and the tokens go to zero, then they are out of luck. If they bought securities from an unregistered securities broker, then they can go to jail and the "investors" can try to get their money back.

The CEO also paid people in XRP for labor to evade reporting requirements and not have to actually pay people in real money.

He also secretly cashed out $600 million in investor money into a private bank account, but only some of it was payment to himself! The rest was totally going to an investment in the technology that he can't talk about right now for fear of giving competitors inside knowledge.

quote:

Ripple also allegedly distributed billions of XRP in exchange for non-cash consideration, such as labor and market-making services. According to the complaint, in addition to structuring and promoting the XRP sales used to finance the company's business, Larsen and Garlinghouse also effected personal unregistered sales of XRP totaling approximately $600 million.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CharlestheHammer posted:

That might legit be the most insane thing posted here

Agreed it is messed up, but there are some heavyweights for top all time BWM posts. Off the top of my head:
-finding a message board where people were investing in a company I think that was being considered to make iPhone screens, then they didn't get the contract and the shares became worthless, and how the thread melted down and people were driving past the company factory trying to look for clues
-Toronto restaurant
-horse chiropractics
-funko contract
-guy who was appealing his security clearance denial, and in addition to his financial woes the court looked at how when he was upset with his wife he had spent extensive time digging "practice graves"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

About 75% of the XRP people across different forums and websites I've been checking have been cheering on the CEO and begging him to steal their money because if he steals it, then there is a theoretical chance they can exit the scam by scamming someone else, but if he gets shut down by the SEC, then they are only getting their money back at best and realistically are probably only getting a small portion back.

quote:

gently caress THE CORRUPT SEC

quote:

They ain't leaving. They're just saying the US ain't poo poo. I loving love it.

quote:

Brad wouldn't really leave. That would make it impossible to trade XRP in the U.S. and screw over his investors. He's just exposing the corruption of the SEC and telling them they can't touch him.

quote:

Ripple’s opening up a office in Miami as we speak. They ain’t going nowhere. #HODL

quote:

Man GTFO is very important. Looks like cayman islands or switzerland is more crypto friendly with picturesque views. Also feck Gary Ginslers and everyone in the SEC excluding hester pearce.

quote:

To all the FUD fools saying he will just take the money and run if he wins the case... you are a fool. XRP has been around forever and will revolutionize smart payments. Nobody would spend years on a scam. The money he took was for investments and payment for his own equity. You can't steal from your own company. Does anybody say that Jeff Bezos is stealing when he sells Amazon shares? Get a loving grip. Brad would not do that.

quote:

FUD is out in force at the news today. Think about it for just one second and see how foolish the logic is. Why would Brad sacrifice years of work, the trust of millions of supporters, and his professional reputation for $1.3 billion when he has a multi trillion idea on his hands? Does that make sense at all?

quote:

Fantastic decision. If the US wants to persecute companies trying to forge a digital future, then they can lose out and be left behind. It will be a huge loss to the US. China must truly be sitting back laughing behind closed doors.

quote:

I'd feel safer with my money in the Caymans with Brad than in the pockets of the SEC bureaucrats. Even if they seize it all "for our own good" how much will be left when Uncle Sam takes his dues? Remember that the scariest words in the english language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

quote:

I think you have to define what does it mean to "lose". It is not if they have to pay a fine but xrp is not a security. I think what he means by "losing" is if the ruling would be such that it cripples Ripples ability to carry out business as usual. (pun intended) And I would assume that is very limited to something like xrp is still a security and that every transaction of XRP must be recorded in some special way. Since the business model requires so much liquity to do ten of thousands of transactions a day that would probably be too restrictive. In that case what choice would Ripple have? They would have to move.

quote:

Just rhetoric, XRP is here to stay with significant adoption this decade

Guys, he would never steal $1.3 billion (even though he definitely didn't already steal $600 million) because he would have to abandon his lease! Open your eyes sheeple!

quote:

Didn’t they just re-up their lease in SF? They ain’t leaving poo poo because they wouldn’t do that unless it was highly probable they’d win.

quote:

quote:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they left anyways. USA might be the shittiest/most corrupt country in the entire world.

I totally agree with that 👍

quote:

I've been telling everyone the same thing. They usually prattle on about the economy and the dollar, but if the U.S. sabotages the next global currency, then what do you think happens to their economy and currency? Hell, look at the value of their currency right now! If everyone is on XRP except the U.S., then they are the poorest country in the world over night.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Then block us from purchasing

That's a good start, but it'll affect innocent people lol...They don't have anything to do with SEC...

The SEC will block us from buying lol not Ripple

quote:

quote:

Yes but remember if they do loose the court case in America XRP will take a massive hit. Yes they can still establish themselves in another country but the value will be nearly wiped out. And will take a long long time to recover

Praying for Brad and over 80% of my savings for this.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Xrp is not centralised

Yes totally agree. but do you honestly think for one second if they lose the court case and the court rules it’s a security the price will not drop like a stone? And all them Americans holding XRP will wake up to find that their XRP is no longer a crypto currency’s but a security. Please for heaven’s sake get real it would be a manger blow for everyone holding XRP. And now he is talking about loosing court case it’s now obviously on his mind to?

I dont see why it changes anything tbh. Nothing fundamentally changes. US will be left behind financially

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Cash -> Diamonds -> Balloon -> Anus -> Airplane.

Eat some bad airplane snacks and accidentally poo poo your butt diamonds down the airplane loo.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

About 75% of the XRP people across different forums and websites I've been checking have been cheering on the CEO and begging him to steal their money because if he steals it, then there is a theoretical chance they can exit the scam by scamming someone else, but if he gets shut down by the SEC, then they are only getting their money back at best and realistically are probably only getting a small portion back.

It's like a firefighter is carrying someone out of a burning building, and the entire time the person being carried is desperately trying to kick the firefighter in the nuts.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I love how many think the SEC is corrupt, except they think it's corrupt for the wrong reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nobody would spend years on a scam.
This is incredible. Nobody ever tell this person about Enron, Volkswagen, Bernie Madoff, faith healers, homeopaths...