Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I put Caspar into a punchmans class, but he just feels terrible after playing GD and having Raphael do it, since his personal is much more well suited to punching things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I made Lysithea a thief because I found the magic classes to be slow and hard to hit with, but now I have the opposite problem. All of the thief attacks seem to send you whizzing around the map, and sometimes she just goes flying right through an enemy that I want her to combo on.

I also just finished the map where you get Holst, and holy crap that was an introduction. He shows up, I mash some buttons, and he almost immediately takes out 2 of the 3 enemies I had to take down for one of the objectives!

I'm looking forward to trying Balthus too. He was such a fun character to use in 3 Houses, so I'm curious to see if they've captured that Hulk-rage mechanic in this game too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean yes, I have characters I could give gauntlets, but I'm stretched thin enough as is! I've already had to sideline several characters I like; getting Ferdie to a "don't die instantly" level after letting him chill on the bench for a couple chapters basically blew all the cash I had.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My favorite thing about Balthus is his unique ability to make enemies sometimes (or always? i forget) explode into coins when you send them flying, which makes me feel like i'm playing yakuza 0

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do like how when you recruit Lindhart in GW the next time you talk to him in camp he's all "lmao what the hell, you should be treating me like a POW but instead you've made me a frontline general??? You guys must really be desperate."

Eimi posted:

Ugh that's the unlock condition? :negative: I guess if I skip all dialogue, do as few missions as possible it won't be...too bad... :vomarine:

I mean, maybe you can pick it up off her corpse on another route? AG is the only route where Catherine is playable though without inheriting her from a NG+ file with AG completed, and she comes with her relic there.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just finished GW Chapter 8. 100% did a better job with making Claude sketchier given that he turned the "democracy" into a kingdom, which is turning on all alarms on my head.

Sadly it turns out I have 2 locked supports after that, so I gotta go back and grind them. I guess I can farm more money and try to S Rank Ch. 8 for the Axe while I'm at it.

One question, what is the easiest way to farm old facility maps? And if the answer is "buy at supply", what's the easiest way to farm smithing stones circa Ch. 8?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, plot question.

Is there any loving information on Shez's backstory beyond "had a mom" and "got an Agarthan in the brain at some point?" I beat Scarlet Blaze with Byleth on my team and still feel like there are so many unanswered questions, including half a dozen just from the dark dimension chapters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

One question, what is the easiest way to farm old facility maps? And if the answer is "buy at supply", what's the easiest way to farm smithing stones circa Ch. 8?

Either buy weapons from the vendor or run side missions over and over to grab weapons as rewards, and then trade them into the supply convoy for stones. Then use those stones to buy the older supplies you need. You can also trade in other building materials you don't need any more for stones as well.

The one thing I will say is don't worry too much about grinding out facilities that early into the game. You will get drip fed a steady diet mats and stones which picks up significantly in the late game, and by then you should be swimming in enough stones to go back and round out any upgrades that need older mats you're no longer getting. Also if you're planning to do NG+ all of your base upgrades carry over into the next save file, so don't feel like you have to max everything in one run.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can trade in gear and supplies for smithing stones. You could farm for them, I guess, by just replaying maps and killing commanders, and trading in their drops, but you can easily get all the facilities by just playing along and doing a trade-in once in a while.

I waited until I had the final tier of supply depot upgrades to go back and get all the older upgrades; I forget when that becomes available but I think it's around where you're at? I definitely recommend advancing the plot until you can do that before worrying about backfilling. Don't forget that you can trade in other smithing materials as well; I certainly haven't found a use for venomstones other than trading them in for a couple hundred smithing stones.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sydin posted:

Also if you're planning to do NG+ all of your base upgrades carry over into the next save file, so don't feel like you have to max everything in one run.

oh thank god

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cool, cool to know. I just wanted to upgrade some of tye cost-reductions I was missing on facilities but I guess I'll just advance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pyroi posted:

Okay, plot question.

Is there any loving information on Shez's backstory beyond "had a mom" and "got an Agarthan in the brain at some point?" I beat Scarlet Blaze with Byleth on my team and still feel like there are so many unanswered questions, including half a dozen just from the dark dimension chapters.

AG's main story is just as vague on the whole thing, yeah. Shez does talk about their past a bit more in supports though, and in one mentioned that their adopted mom could read, write, "do magic like it was nothing", and was very secretive, barely interacting with the other villagers. My current theory based on bits and pieces is that this "adoptive" mom was a slither who who either flipped sides to save Shez or was trying to help Arval somehow.

The whole thing kinda feels like future DLC bait imo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Been playing Black Eagles and I think my favorite recruitment even in the true second act is still Hapi with it amounting to

Hubert We have a sneaking suspicion you have been hosed over by the slithers. Would you like to join us in loving them over?
Hapi: Hell yes.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Pyroi posted:

Okay, plot question.

The clues of 'knew magic', 'escaped from Slithers', 'noble bearing' point to Shez' adoptive mother being Anselma.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Clawtopsy posted:

The clues of 'knew magic', 'escaped from Slithers', 'noble bearing' point to Shez' adoptive mother being Anselma.

That would be kinda nuts considering how complicated her backstory already is

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hunt11 posted:

Been playing Black Eagles and I think my favorite recruitment even in the true second act is still Hapi with it amounting to

Hubert We have a sneaking suspicion you have been hosed over by the slithers. Would you like to join us in loving them over?
Hapi: Hell yes.

Also Shez and Hapi have a great support line and honestly I could see that being one of my fav Hapi ships.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Clawtopsy posted:

Thales is pretty direct with Dimitri near the end of AG that the slithers killed Anselma, but he could be lying just to be a prick. If this turned out to be the case it would be pretty wild.

e. Also in Shez's supports with Ashe they send a letter to the elder of Shez's village to ask about their mom. In the A support Shez laments they never got a reply but decides "eh he probably just didn't know anything" and walks away. After that a messenger shows up with the Elder's reply and gives it to Ashe, who reads it to himself but then the support abruptly ends without any revelation for the player. It definitely feels like they're setting it up for future DLC.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 28, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Eimi posted:

Also Shez and Hapi have a great support line and honestly I could see that being one of my fav Hapi ships.

I gave her my Whistle of Platonic Friendship the second I could because it both made perfect sense and also her attack ability slaps

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hmm, maybe I don't have to do AG after all. SB Ch11When you beat Annette I took Crusher from her trembling but still alive hands. Let's see if that trend holds.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I have a feeling that DLC characters are gonna be:

Hanneman, Cyril, Alois, and Gilbert as characters who you can use in the story.

Anna as a free mode exclusive character.

One character each from the Empire, Kingdom, and Alliance factions, who will be usable during the story of their respective factions. (The three mystery slots.)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Eimi posted:

Hmm, maybe I don't have to do AG after all. SB Ch11When you beat Annette I took Crusher from her trembling but still alive hands. Let's see if that trend holds.

Not every weapon is in every route, sadly. For example, I know Aymr is in the game as a bonus for a particular SB chapter, but beating AG didn't unlock it for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Folt The Bolt posted:

I have a feeling that DLC characters are gonna be:

Hanneman, Cyril, Alois, and Gilbert as characters who you can use in the story.

Anna as a free mode exclusive character.

One character each from the Empire, Kingdom, and Alliance factions, who will be usable during the story of their respective factions. (The three mystery slots.)

Hmm, Bergleitz/Judith/???? for the mystery slots. Not sure who would really fit in for the Kingdom one.

And yeah, I'm kinda salty Hanneman and Alois aren't already playable considering all their data is in and their models. And they show up in the story. Literally the only thing that really seems to be missing for them is a unique class unlock.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Is there ever a source of renewable seals to buy/farm? Cause I'm starting to need more Advanced as I master those classes. And also when do you usually unlock Master, cause after Ch. 8 the game told me Shez/Claude's unique classes were unlocked but I still can't unlock Master in general lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there ever a source of renewable seals to buy/farm? Cause I'm starting to need more Advanced as I master those classes. And also when do you usually unlock Master, cause after Ch. 8 the game told me Shez/Claude's unique classes were unlocked but I still can't unlock Master in general lol

Master seals unlocked for me as soon as I hit part two, so you're close (the item shop just started selling them automatically, i didn't even have to upgrade it; although it only had 2 in stock, so you won't be swimming in them). You still need to upgrade the training instructor to be able to unlock master classes, but I think I got the mats for that on my very first side mission of part two, so it shouldn't take too long.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

You'll hit a point in the story where missions start giving them out like candy. Even if they're not explicitly listed as mission rewards upfront a lot of bosses will drop them when you kill them.

For master seals there's a point where the game will hand you about ~5 or so very quickly, and you can buy a couple more each chapter from the shop.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ainsley McTree posted:

Master seals unlocked for me as soon as I hit part two, so you're close (the item shop just started selling them automatically, i didn't even have to upgrade it; although it only had 2 in stock, so you won't be swimming in them). You still need to upgrade the training instructor to be able to unlock master classes, but I think I got the mats for that on my very first side mission of part two, so it shouldn't take too long.

Wow, that's... pretty quick, given that you unlock Advanced Seals on Ch. 7 and Ch. 8 is a single map with no sidequests. Guess you'd want players to be able to start enjoyinh A rank weapons and the final movesets early on but trickle them down, I guess.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also the available amount of lesser seals VASTLY scales up as you get later on. Offering up to 20 of them at a time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
You can also just grind them out if you want through mission replay once you have a mission where the boss drops one. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, but once you get to Chapter 10 that's almost every side mission so it only takes like 3 minutes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like if Hanneman and Alois aren't playable, it's mostly because the game is already showering me with more recruits than the story knows what to do with or I have time to use. I'd like to use Manuela more, but frankly I'm about to drown in mages and bishops.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The small deploy size and the huge roster (and you know freedom to make them any class you want) has me focusing on a small handful of people and I still feel like I'm neglecting characters I love. There's just no room!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like if Hanneman and Alois aren't playable, it's mostly because the game is already showering me with more recruits than the story knows what to do with or I have time to use. I'd like to use Manuela more, but frankly I'm about to drown in mages and bishops.

I mean you don't have to keep her in those classes! Like immediately reclassing Manuela into a Pegasus/Myrmidon is probably optimal since you don't have anyone on SB who has that as the default. And her personal kicks rear end for Swordmasters.

I usually go between basically everyone on my roster though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do wish spears had a non mounted higher tier choice.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Oboro's moveset in FEW owns, so I support unmounted spears.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
At least you can always just dismount to get the unmounted spear moveset.

Also an easy way to have both the Wyvern and Warrior moveset. And Great Knight/Armor Knight ones.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ImpAtom posted:

I do wish spears had a non mounted higher tier choice.

Yeah for sure, ditto bows. Linhardt is also still absolutely hosed over by not having access to Gremory. Could make him a holy knight I guess but it just doesn't feel right for his character to be holding any kind of physical weapon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji117 posted:

Ingrid's dad is not actually good (except compared to utter monsters like the Bartels).

First of all, he sets up an arranged marriage to house Fraldarius seemingly the instant Ingrid was shown to have a Crest (that it seems to have been a good match is besides the point of the arranged-marriage issue). Once that falls through, he repeatedly tries to marry her off to randos (including the Lethal Lava Land Merchant, who is so bad that Dorothea instantly recognizes him by name as a nasty piece of work) because she's a female with a Crest and he won't put in the work to improve Galatea's land (which various non-AM Ingrid endings show is entirely possible), instead seeming to rely on Ingrid's bride-price to finance Galatea's future. Note that even after the Ingrid paralogue, her dad still will keep trying to get her married despite her best wishes, only seeming to stop when the War breaks out and more important stuff happens. (You could read her non-CF pre-timeskip death quote as her vanishing into marriage: "Returned to her territory after the battle of Garreg Mach, but went missing afterward. She was unable to make the promised meeting." which is a separate quote to what happens on CF, where her links to her family are cut: "Fell on a different battlefield after the battle of Garreg Mach. She was unable to make the promised meeting." but I'll admit that that's fairly tenuous.)

That's a pretty uncharitable reading, I think.

Starting with the arranged marriage, they're a pretty common historical tradition, and they often worked quite well for all concerned. (I can't help but think of Lafayette, whose parents pulled the pretty clever trick of not telling him about the arranged marriage, but simply had him and the girl spend a lot of time together as kids until they fell for each other. When he talked about wanting to get married, they just went "Hey, great news on that front.") Ingrid and Glenn were a perfect match, so there was no reason to not keep going with the arranged marriage, while other matches were called off as soon as Ingrid went "Nope", with no complaints mentioned on her father's part. He wants Ingrid married, but there's an obvious motive there aside from the political part. That is, Ingrid had something that was going to make her very happy snatched away on the battlefield, and her father would like her to have someone to make up for that rather than just mourn Glenn's ghost all her life.

(As for not knowing how bad the paralogue option is, that comes from him running in noble circles where people don't air dirty laundry, while Dorothea lived in piles of discarded dirty laundry. She's going to have heard a lot more of the bad.)

Yes, Ingrid can restore her lands on her own, but that's because Fodland's absolute monarch is a close personal friend who owes her bigtime. That means she can get the resources she needs under her own name, something that her father couldn't do.

Ingrid's drama is interesting, not because her father is bad, but because he isn't. He's a decent man who loves his daughter and does his best to encourage her to do what makes her happy, even if it complicates his life... but because of the system he's in, Ingrid is still placed in situations where honor, duty, and personal satisfaction all clash to disastrous results. (If memory serves it's interesting that, at the start of Crimson Flower, Ingrid actually brings up her dad in talking about why she's betraying the Kingdom... and she says she thinks he'd understand.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Yeah for sure, ditto bows. Linhardt is also still absolutely hosed over by not having access to Gremory. Could make him a holy knight I guess but it just doesn't feel right for his character to be holding any kind of physical weapon.

Dark Bishop is really good too.

You can also just get him Dark Bishop to jack up his weapon rank then put him back in Bishop/Warlock if you like their movesets better. There's no functional difference at that point.

Like all classes have fully fleshed out movesets, and there's nothing stopping you from putting someone back into Mage or whatever once they get to weapon rank A if you liked that moveset. A lot of the pre-Master Level movesets like the Paladin one aren't any less strong just because they're on a lower tier class.

All classes are in this game are a moveset (which is fully unlocked by getting to A rank in the weapon), unlocks (which almost all carry over between classes) and between 1-4 innate skills with most classes having just 'whatever'-breaker and a few having some kinda meh ones beyond that like Locktouch.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 28, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's more that the Bishop/Wizard movesets feel extremely anemic and Gremory is the only magic class that actually has any punch to it. Granted I have not tried dark bishop yet, will give it a whirl.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zore posted:

Hmm, Bergleitz/Judith/???? for the mystery slots. Not sure who would really fit in for the Kingdom one.

And yeah, I'm kinda salty Hanneman and Alois aren't already playable considering all their data is in and their models. And they show up in the story. Literally the only thing that really seems to be missing for them is a unique class unlock.

If nothing else; Hanneman and Alois, along with Cyril and Gilbert, have likes/dislikes in food, which means it's possible for them to take part in anything that requires you to spend Activity Points. (Anna doesn't, which is why I think she will be a Free Mode exclusive character.)

As for the three mystery candidates, I think Count Gloucester is likely as a candidate for Golden Wildfire as well. He could be another potential Dark Knight pref guy which would give us another chance at Titanic Might as a teachable Combat Art, and while this is just my own speculation; I think the three mystery slots are reserved for characters who make their debut in this game (so Count Bergliez is who I think is most likely for our Empire candidate as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
training can be the difference between victory and defeat