Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not that far from the NYC court district and that makes me want to go down there and hand out jury nullification pamphlets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even the Newsmax interview Rudy booked to complain about the DA being soft on crime ended with the host telling him it didn't really look like he was trying to kill him.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1541616901071200256

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Guys, it’s because Giuliani is a ghoul and the tap on the back was a sneak attack and a flank attack by the rogue. Lots of damage in those attacks if my Dungeon Mastery is correct. Giuliani was probably throwing some death saves after that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

I'm not that far from the NYC court district and that makes me want to go down there and hand out jury nullification pamphlets

The assaulter got out with no bail and the court scheduled him to come back on August 17th. So, you can save yourself some time today, but mark your calendar.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'd be surprised if it even went to a jury, honestly. The guy spent the night in jail, and even if New York doesn't drop the charges, I could very easily see the DA offering a plea that doesn't have any further jail time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is dumb on many levels and just as pointless as the seemingly weekly derails about how you should build up your armory and bugout bag for the coming apocalypse.

1) Most states are 55/45, so the minority you are punishing are still a large chunk of the state.

They're still a minority. And not evenly divided inside the state. Plus I would say equal voting and representation - either actually or by blue states just ignoring the federal government in legislation and finance that isn't supported by majority of the population - is not punishment.

quote:

2) As much as we would like to believe it, a state is not going to collapse and depopulate because they discriminate against trans people or ban abortion.

I don't think they're going to collapse or depopulate entirely, or due to those things. A few probably will, due to Republican governance with less blue state aid - I'm not feeling too hot about the aforementioned Arkansas, for example.

quote:

3) The rural/small town areas of the U.S. are already dying anyway. Roughly 2/3 of America lives in an urban or suburban area.

Of course they do, it's even a greater share here. How much power does that 1/3 there have, though, per EC, per Senate, per Congressional apportionment, per how the Supreme Court looks?

quote:

4) The vast majority of people just don't care that deeply about abortion or trans rights. If only 1/3 of voters are willing to make their vote conditional on abortion rights (and some of that 1/3 makes their vote conditional on opposing abortion rights), then there is no way that any significant amount of the population is going to pack up a move away if they won't even change their vote because of it.

The vast majority of Republicans haven't always cared about all the things they care about these days. I don't want to write out the most efficient ways to make constituents care about things again (I have before) but suffice to say none of this would happen overnight.

quote:

5) The vast majority of people who just don't care one way or the other aren't going to appreciate your theory of collective punishment just because they are "trying to live my life and don't worry about genders on bathrooms or abortion regulations. I'm not even doing anything to hurt them!"

See above. I'm not claiming that there is will to do that at the moment, there pretty clearly isn't based on this thread's replies alone, seeing as this is as left as you go without starting to dip on communist or anarchist boards and so on. Should do is not will do.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 28, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ringo Star Get posted:

Guys, it’s because Giuliani is a ghoul and the tap on the back was a sneak attack and a flank attack by the rogue. Lots of damage in those attacks if my Dungeon Mastery is correct. Giuliani was probably throwing some death saves after that.

What you don’t see in the video footage is the guy had a de-summoning rune written on his hand and when he touched Rudy on the shoulder it almost sent him back to his home dimension but Rudy’s resistance level was too powerful for it to effect him.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

The NYPD is probably full of people in authority positions who look back on his tenure fondly.

Plus, it's full of Trump lovers who don't actually live in NYC.

There's no residency requirement for NYPD? Or do they just lie, as Adams did?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

This is dumb on many levels and just as pointless as the seemingly weekly derails about how you should build up your armory and bugout bag for the coming apocalypse.

Sometimes I wonder how violent the fascism will need to be before liberals acknowledge that taking defensive measures is an appropriate course of action. Apparently women losing their bodily autonomy, being charged for miscarriages, and encountering life-threatening delays in emergency rooms wasn't enough.

Nevermind the fact that a bugout bag is useful for plenty of other situations that don't involve fascism at all. House fire? Natural disaster? Abusive relationship?

But sure, people who are concerned about the rapid decline of America into barbarism deserve nothing but condescension.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

There isn't one, but (ironically) Adams wants to implement one.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/01/25/adams-calls-nypd-city-residency-requirements--a-smart-idea-

Bishyaler posted:

Sometimes I wonder how violent the fascism will need to be before liberals acknowledge that taking defensive measures is an appropriate course of action. Apparently women losing their bodily autonomy, being charged for miscarriages, and encountering life-threatening delays in emergency rooms wasn't enough.

Nevermind the fact that a bugout bag is useful for plenty of other situations that don't involve fascism at all. House fire? Natural disaster? Abusive relationship?

But sure, people who are concerned about the rapid decline of America into barbarism deserve nothing but condescension.

You can do whatever you want personally. It just seems like a waste of time for the same few people to go, "I'm not gonna build a bunker" and then another group go, "You need to prepare for it" back and forth once a week.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 28, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Residency includes "Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties" for NYC police so there's no requirement to actually live in the city.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ aha; thanks!

Biden disapproval at a new high, according to the RCP poll tracker:

That's almost a 40-pt swing over the last 18 months.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looking over the residency requirement article, NYC has a very weird employment policy that I have not seen in other major metro areas:

quote:

In New York, police officers have not been required to live in the city they serve since the 1960s. In New York City, civilian city workers are required to live in the city for at least two years.

Seems baffling that you need to live in the city limits to work as a secretary for the Department of Sanitation or a janitor for a city courthouse.

And that cops are excluded.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A bit too early to be reflected in polling, but I wonder how many people have re-discovered Biden's views on abortion rights / the hyde amendment this weekend that were so conveniently memory holed for the primaries.

E: lmao

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1541784459422404608

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 28, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You can do whatever you want personally. It just seems like a waste of time for the same few people to go, "I'm not gonna build a bunker" and then another group go, "You need to prepare for it" back and forth once a week.

Especially because "being on friendly terms with your neighbors" is approximately one million times more useful during disasters or social upheaval than owning a gun or having a well-thought out plan for doing Red Dawn stuff.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

There isn't one, but (ironically) Adams wants to implement one.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/01/25/adams-calls-nypd-city-residency-requirements--a-smart-idea-

I don't think a single person in here has advocated for building a bunker, so the hyperbole is unnecessary.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Joe bindenburg did what he could and couldn't have done any more.

Build back better didn't happen. Because the fascists and their democrat allies knew that it would cause a recession and enrich the wealthy class by not passing.

Instead of ramrodding it through via executive action the Dems shrugged their head and joe forgot the plot.

Now we are hosed and the fascists are watching Handmaid's tale as a documentary

Will we wait until they repeal the 14th amendment? Absolutely says the Dems. Can you imagine how many voters we can get if the right to vote is under threat?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Quorum posted:

Precisely. And even worse, the fee-shifting provisions are deliberately one-sided. A prevailing plaintiff can have the defendant pay all the legal costs, but a defendant who wins is still in the hole for their legal defense.

That is really loving disgusting.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Again, stop letting the minority make decisions for the majority, maybe those kids could move. Go to free university. Democrats, the left, whoever. Start campaigning on something else than bringing the country together when a good 30-40 percent wants the rest of the country to suffer.

Who the hell has free university??

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Germany, for one. (You do have to pay room and board, but can apply for assistance with that, as well).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bishyaler posted:

My problem isn't necessary the preparing, but that there seems to be no actual strategy and behind it. If you're preparing for the rapid decline of America into barbarism, the actual methods of leftist preparation seem to boil down to individual preparations.

And that only works if your plan is to get out of inhabited areas.

And that only works if you know how to survive in the middle of nowhere, which due to American geography can widely vary in what you need to to know (e.g. desert vs forest). A prepared individual compound will eventually just be found by someone who prepared even better and has buddies.

"Get a gun and prepare a bugout bag" seems to only be a longer trip to dying miserably without a whole lot more or if you live on the Canadian border (I wouldn't put much trust on the goodwill of Mexico after...you know the entire recorded history of United States and Mexico).

Bishyaler posted:

I don't think a single person in here has advocated for building a bunker, so the hyperbole is unnecessary.

Honestly though, if you have an actual group and knowledge for that, build a bunker before you buy a gun if you're worried about descent into anarchy. Or start learning how to survive in the wild. Preferably all of the above but probably hard to do that and still have time and money to survive in the world that still exists.

HonorableTB posted:

Like barring few Eastern European countries and maybe a microstate or two who don't have room for one, all of Europe, more or less? Probably most of South America, I guess most likely Australia and New Zealand, I assume several East Asian countries at a minimum, all petro-states for their tiny native populations, the Caribbean? The quality may vary but many countries have it and when I was studying the government also paid for all my expenses (like with actual money that I could spend how I wish though most obviously went to food and housing).

EDIT: also, New Mexico, apparently, in the States.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 28, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a bugout bag and an emergency well on my property, so I'm definitely not one to cast criticism on anyone who wants to prep themselves for worst case scenarios.

I do sometimes worry that there is a segment of very online people with seemingly actual good underlying values and instincts sort of trapping themselves in a skinner box of imagining themselves as heroes of a dystopian novel rather than doing useful poo poo.

Partially because I think these fantasies sort of speak to a certain strain of rugged individualism that isn't particularly helpful. If we're going to survive what is to come--both literally survive and survive as a democratic society--we're going to have to combat the atomization of our society.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

If we're going to survive what is to come--both literally survive and survive as a democratic society--we're going to have to combat the atomization of our society.

What's the quarterly ROI on that? I don't think the numbers work out. You can maybe workshop it a bit but I just don't see it hitting the shareholder metrics.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

DarkCrawler posted:

My problem isn't necessary the preparing, but that there seems to be no actual strategy and behind it. If you're preparing for the rapid decline of America into barbarism, the actual methods of leftist preparation seem to boil down to individual preparations.

Where do you get this impression? This isn't sarcasm, I'm being completely genuine: where are you getting the idea that this is the only method leftists are using or supporting? From where I live, I see lots of setting up and supporting mutual aid networks, as well as engaging in and getting word out about community centers and the like. You might not see as much about it because they either don't have a lot of money to run advertising, or they don't want people to know about it if it's a more underground network. But they certainly exist, and leftists in the US certainly understand that this kind of work is crucial to any kind of leftist movement when operating under a fascist government.

Right now, with RvW, there's currently a lot of aid network poo poo going on. Some of it's public, like what Washington is doing (https://www.opb.org/article/2022/05/03/washington-governor-inslee-promises-to-defend-abortion-rights/) but a lot of it is not. The apartment building I live in is running a drive right now to stockpile goods for trans youths; binders, insulated water bottles, phone chargers, tucking underwear, etc; in order to donate to a local LGBT youth center. But you would never know this kind of thing is happening unless you literally lived in this building and saw the paper signs they printed out.

Why did you think that none of this was happening?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Looking over the residency requirement article, NYC has a very weird employment policy that I have not seen in other major metro areas:

Seems baffling that you need to live in the city limits to work as a secretary for the Department of Sanitation or a janitor for a city courthouse.

And that cops are excluded.

Hrrrm odd that they haven't been required to live where they work since the 1960s.

Did something relevant to that happen around then.....

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have a bugout bag and an emergency well on my property, so I'm definitely not one to cast criticism on anyone who wants to prep themselves for worst case scenarios.

I do sometimes worry that there is a segment of very online people with seemingly actual good underlying values and instincts sort of trapping themselves in a skinner box of imagining themselves as heroes of a dystopian novel rather than doing useful poo poo.

Partially because I think these fantasies sort of speak to a certain strain of rugged individualism that isn't particularly helpful. If we're going to survive what is to come--both literally survive and survive as a democratic society--we're going to have to combat the atomization of our society.

As a type 1 diabetic, I know what will happen - I die when my insulin runs out. The ketoacidosis will probably make my corpse taste awful for the rape-cannibals, so there's that bonus. So I don't really bother with the scenarios.

XboxPants posted:

Where do you get this impression? This isn't sarcasm, I'm being completely genuine: where are you getting the idea that this is the only method leftists are using or supporting? From where I live, I see lots of setting up and supporting mutual aid networks, as well as engaging in and getting word out about community centers and the like. You might not see as much about it because they either don't have a lot of money to run advertising, or they don't want people to know about it if it's a more underground network. But they certainly exist, and leftists in the US certainly understand that this kind of work is crucial to any kind of leftist movement when operating under a fascist government.

Right now, with RvW, there's currently a lot of aid network poo poo going on. Some of it's public, like what Washington is doing (https://www.opb.org/article/2022/05/03/washington-governor-inslee-promises-to-defend-abortion-rights/) but a lot of it is not. The apartment building I live in is running a drive right now to stockpile goods for trans youths; binders, insulated water bottles, phone chargers, tucking underwear, etc; in order to donate to a local LGBT youth center. But you would never know this kind of thing is happening unless you literally lived in this building and saw the paper signs they printed out.

Why did you think that none of this was happening?

I know about mutual aid in America, but it seems like something aimed towards surviving the current conditions of the American hellscape. I don't think it'll help as much in dystopian futures. I don't think a fascist government is equivalent to "descent into barbarism", myself, there are fascist countries now where that hasn't happened. Bugout bag + gun seems to indicate a breakdown of society as a reaction to that fascist government.

This part is exactly what I was talking about before though:

quote:

the state would provide sanctuary for women outside the state seeking abortions and would explore ways to codify abortion rights in the state’s Constitution.

Said sanctuary should be provided to anyone fleeing one of the poo poo states ruled by and majority-filled by poo poo people, not just those seeking abortion. Because the GOP is already going after transpeople, will go after anyone else not straight, and then anyone not white after that. However much people want to believe in their conservative friends and families, they're fascist pieces of poo poo and there is no bottom.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 28, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Because they still don't have the votes to do so.

And, according to the NYT, they are in somewhat of a holding position until Biden gets back from Europe. Harris is the public face on the issue, but she can't make any final decisions. Biden has asked his agencies to provide a list of things they can do and he doesn't want to "over promise" and then have people feel let down if they can't do it.

So, they are going to basically just say nothing committal until at least tomorrow when Biden gets back.

It is baffling that they were unprepared for this situation, given the makeup of the court, given the efforts of their opponents for literally decades, given that this opinion was leaked weeks ago. Like just outright dereliction of leadership, incredible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hahha how can that possibly be real what an absolute leadership shitshow.

On so many levels. Like, how can you not have a contingency plan for this, and how can it be executive dependent like that.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I would not want to be Mark Meadows right now.

{edit} well, I wouldn't want to be him anytime, but i especially would not want to be him now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Papercut posted:

It is baffling that they were unprepared for this situation, given the makeup of the court, given the efforts of their opponents for literally decades, given that this opinion was leaked weeks ago. Like just outright dereliction of leadership, incredible.

It is actually slightly worse than that too. I thought Biden was coming back after the G7, but apparently he is taking meetings in Turkey and Eastern Europe tomorrow, so he won't be back until Thursday instead of tomorrow.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If he was the head of a different country traveling during events like these would be a sign poo poo is about to go down and they don't want the head of state in the country. But it's 99.9% most likely incompetence and a lack of urgency here.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any rumors why he is leaving the G7 meeting early? Big disagreements?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Criss-cross posted:

Are there any rumors why he is leaving the G7 meeting early? Big disagreements?

G7 ended today. He isn't leaving early.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, seems plans have changed a second time and he didn't leave early.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Giuliani demanded the maximum possible punishment for the guy who "assaulted" him at the grocery store, so the NYPD added harassment and menacing charges to his initial assault charge.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1541783756167647234

This is the video of the assault:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1541201416949211136

Between this an Nancy Pelosi assaulting a child, I just can't deal with these types of people anymore

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1541587709231333376

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is it fair to say that the Republicans are conservatives that want to go back to 1950, and the Democrats are conservatives that want to go back to 1990?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

America Inc. posted:

Is it fair to say that the Republicans are conservatives that want to go back to 1950, and the Democrats are conservatives that want to go back to 1990?

No. Republicans want to go back much further than that

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

haveblue posted:

No. Republicans want to go back much further than that

Yeah the Republicans want to bring America back to the antebellum.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
no, more like 1650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

America Inc. posted:

Republicans want to bring American back to a 1950 that never actually existed, I think honestly they want to visit an alternate timeline where Civil Rights never happened.

Democrats don't want to go back to 1990 but many of them seem to actively believe it is 1990.