Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

ded posted:

kind of funny. this dude who is always spamming his knowledge and maps he made and stuff absolutely insisting that the conc brain buff works on non-cloth on the atlas discord.

Honestly kind of impressive to be so dedicated to the game and still miss 20 years of people asking why it doesn't work on their Shaman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Atlas launched. Feels like a classic mmorpg launch all right. No one can actually play. But the chat server works great!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahah. best of luck suckers. enjoy getting sosed on at amg

(i am obviously waiting for eden, and leveling a summoner in ffxiv in the meantime)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Atlas has crashed and burned. For now.

Mobs would sometimes stop fighting back so some people who were able to actually play got 50 day 1. How they pulled it off with server restarts every 20-30 minutes I have no idea. Then there was also something wrong with the crafting system that let people get truckloads of cash.

quote:

Hello @Players !

At first, we would like to apologize for the rough start and the lags and crashes you had to endure so far. We've reduced the lag and the crashes greatly, yet they might appear once in a while, as we'll have to fix every issue causing it. Check lag-updates for further information on that!

Due to the lags, players were able to get an unnatural advantage in the beginning, as the monsters became unresponsive and allowed people to farm them without problems. Other exploits caused our crafting system to create a massive influx of money and items to some players.

Whilst we've taken punitive measures against those who excessively exploited those, we fear that the global economy on our server might be damaged for the months to come, if we don't take global measures right now. Thus, we will reset all player inventories, tradeskills, Realm Ranks, vaults and achievements, and provide you with a full rog set and a fair amount of money (250g) in order to allow you to keep grinding and fix the current advantages players gained with the exploits.

We're deeply sorry that we'll have to affect everyone with this measure, but for the sake of having a working economy and preventing the abuse of these exploits, we think that this measure was inevitable and the only effective measure to save it. All players that have participated so far can visit Cruella de Vill for a small additional compensation.

However, you will keep your levels and all the other progress you've made, as we don't want to affect fair people as much as those, that have been farming epic mobs when they weren't fighting back.

Please be aware that we will take measures against anyone who is excessively exploiting those situations, as stated in rule #11. We know it's sometimes inevitable if you want to level, but it's certainly not inevitable to farm epic monsters when they are not responding. Further bug exploiting will be punished according to our rules.

We love you

quote:

Hello again, @Players!

As you might have noticed, there were several crashes in the recent hours. Some of them were caused by the crafting system, which is why we temporarily disabled it. However, that didn't fully fix all the causes of the crashes. We're now spotting issues due to the increased population that we couldn't see before. However, we notice as well, that people keep abusing situations like these to their benefit. In order to prevent a further rollback and finally get rid of all those crashes and lags, we've decided to not work on hot code, as this will just enhance those problems and might benefit the cheaters.

We'll be leaving the server offline for some days to see, if we can get the most pressing issues fixed or to determine further actions to ensure, that those problems stop.

We're really sorry for all those problems, since we're genuinely trying to give you a good classic experience without having people that cheated themselves everything after just 2 days.

During this downtime, we'll keep you informed about the progress and let you know immediately when the server can be reopened.

Thanks for your patience with us

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I hate to say I am looking forward to this live classic server, but, it seems I am.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I hate to say I am looking forward to this live classic server, but, it seems I am.

Do you really want to spend 45 -60 bux a month on this game?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

SERPUS posted:

Do you really want to spend 45 -60 bux a month on this game?

Actually, I was going to ask what the actual cost of this F2P game is if I want to ever accomplish anything in the game...
I mean, other than mental health and possible social connections.

I never played DAoC in its prime, but I knew a lot of people in other games who spent a good bit of time with it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
All they have to do is just bring back the old classic server. No buffbots and no ToA was fine.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The developers can't decide if they want old or new frontiers for the live classic server. For me it's old frontiers or bust, but even then I'm not stupid enough to want an exact replica of pre-ToA. I prefer how Phoenix used to have it with extra xp from bounties and daily mob bonuses, and I also like being able to switch sides as long as I haven't engaged in rvr for a while.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

From Phoenix discord;

quote:

gruenes_schaf — 06/26/2022
We have a very important announcement to make: We will make an announcement on July 23rd!

Like I assumed when they announced 6 month hiatus in January, since Celestius collapsed and is trying to relaunch with Eden in the future/Atlas dead on arrival, Phoenix should be announcing their re-launch on July 23rd likely for sometime in August.

Playing the Phoenix events going 1-50 in couple hours, non-stop action, sometimes getting rolled over by meta-premades but when you had a good group going it was some of the most fun I've had playing MMO in long time. Definitely looking forward to it re-launching, as I much preferred the pre-TOA stuff which I was exposed to a little bit with Celestius. I don't have a lot of experience with DAOC prior to the freeshards, I only played a little bit during Catacombs expansion, but Phoenix ruleset was pretty awesome in my opinion.

knox fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 28, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
phoenix was good. Eden is gonna be phoenix 2.0 more or less. I'm kind of annoyed phx admins keep teasing, i think they're trying to gently caress eden over with this. Just turn the goddamn power switch on.

I disagree with having periodic events. just make an arcade mode all event all the time server imo if youre gonna do that. it splits the population

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I stated in the Phoenix discord that maybe keeping the event characters locked inside the event zone and have a tournament type event for lvl50s with normalized RvR levels or something related to that event zone, to have a reason for even participating if you can't bring character over into regular zones. I wouldn't see a problem having one playing field event every 4 months or something like that though, possibly locked to 3 characters you can create.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
The event on Phoenix for leveling in bgs was the distilled essence I want injected directly into my veins. Just an eternal scrap.

That being said, a few friends and I really loved how Celestius evolved the small man content. Made for some crazy action that was really enjoyable (not a keep or meta 8s fan).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Event frustrates me because i've grown into the realm BG, what with being lieutenantnewbcakes' right hand man and whatnot. Love the big rvr fights. not a fan of the smallman pvp except in like thid/molvik

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

knox posted:

From Phoenix discord;

Like I assumed when they announced 6 month hiatus in January, since Celestius collapsed and is trying to relaunch with Eden in the future/Atlas dead on arrival, Phoenix should be announcing their re-launch on July 23rd likely for sometime in August.

Playing the Phoenix events going 1-50 in couple hours, non-stop action, sometimes getting rolled over by meta-premades but when you had a good group going it was some of the most fun I've had playing MMO in long time. Definitely looking forward to it re-launching, as I much preferred the pre-TOA stuff which I was exposed to a little bit with Celestius. I don't have a lot of experience with DAOC prior to the freeshards, I only played a little bit during Catacombs expansion, but Phoenix ruleset was pretty awesome in my opinion.

PHX was pretty much as close as you can get to what it was like in ye olden day without the actual pain of that time period.

I would just say gently caress it and play a bit on live but I cannot stand the abilities/items from ToA.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

knox posted:

From Phoenix discord;

this is great news. Phoenix really has the perfect balance between old DAoC and new streamlined changes.

going to play this for sure and it should be pretty popular.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ded posted:

PHX was pretty much as close as you can get to what it was like in ye olden day without the actual pain of that time period.

I would just say gently caress it and play a bit on live but I cannot stand the abilities/items from ToA.

Our gang did this when celestius ate poo poo. It's horrible. Don't do it.

first time out, we had a solid 8man of players on chars ranging from rr2-ish fresh toons to a rr9 druid. We got absolutely destroyed by eight rr13+ mids. i have never seen dwarves cast so fast. We logged out and never went back.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Last time years ago when I logged into live and saw that classic was gone, I looked at what I had and the amount of bs I would have to go through to be even close to useful and noped out forever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have fully capped out suits on like 7 live toons and it didnt do a god damned thing. realm rank is everything and there are like 2-3 groups that have been playing for twenty years and they're untouchable. gently caress ywain forever

Molvik on the other hand was good fun at least, i did up a valkyrie with a twinked out suit and it was really strong and fun

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They are trying a relaunch of Atlas on the 4th

quote:

Hello @Players ,

Thanks to the efforts of all of you and our dedicated PTR testers, we are happy to announce that the duplication exploits and economic issues we discovered during launch weekend have been solved. Additionally, thanks to the increased server load we have identified many bottlenecks in the code which have also, for the most part, been optimized and reworked. To that end, I am delighted to announce a soft relaunch of the Atlas server starting on Monday, July 4, 2022 at 3pm UTC+1.

Due to large-scale issues with the server, I think everyone can agree our initial launch did not go as expected. Even outside of economic/duping issues, NPCs were basically non-functional and players did not encounter anything close to a normal launch experience. To that end, we will be doing a complete wipe of all progress so far in order to have a clean slate. All existing characters inventories, vaults, houses, crafting ranks, and RPs will be wiped, and all characters will be reset to level 1 (with existing names intact).

What constitutes a soft launch?

For the next two weeks, the server will be open and available for all connections similar to our previous launch. All player progression will be saved, HOWEVER during this two week period we reserve the right to wipe inventories/money if another exploit surfaces.
Levels, crafting progress, and realm points will remain intact. We understand that to some players the thought of losing your possessions sounds highly unappealing, and to those players we ask that you please consider waiting out the two week period before beginning your journeys on Atlas.

As an additional incentive, any players who reach level 39 before the two weeks have expired will be awarded a realm-wide, one-time use, of the /level command to boost one character of their choice to level 20.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Atlas is the exact flaming dumpster fire I expected it to be since the day they announced it. I know i'm just in hater mode but god drat. Between eden, phoenix 2.0 and the live classic server it is going to empty out so fast even if they do sort out the massive issues.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Atlas is the exact flaming dumpster fire I expected it to be since the day they announced it. I know i'm just in hater mode but god drat. Between eden, phoenix 2.0 and the live classic server it is going to empty out so fast even if they do sort out the massive issues.

Don’t say anything bad in the discord though or you’ll be banned. Can’t believe people actually said stuff like “oh the devs here are so nice, what a change”…

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hard to say anything bad on the discord when they have had a 6hr posting timer since the server melted on launch.

But ya the devs are crying they will ban anyone who says something bad and it's pretty funny.

quote:

clait — Today at 8:42 AM
@Players We have introduced a temporary cap of 900 1000players while we work on the identified pain points.

The best way to make sure you won't be a part of those 900 1000 players is dropping stupid comments in general, insulting the project or the Team. This is a last warning before bans are issues.
Thanks for your patience and for using your brain before typing.

ps: reactions count too ❤️ drop more and we might be able to remove the hard cap sooner :banhammer:

PHX should just come back now.

ded fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 4, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I mean... certainly it's a failing trash fire but I don't think the devs have a responsibility to open themselves up to vitriol in their own Discord because their free volunteer project is failing.

They know the servers are hosed, they don't need 1000 people telling them why it's a moral failing that their servers are hosed and they should kill themselves for it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

admanb posted:

I mean... certainly it's a failing trash fire but I don't think the devs have a responsibility to open themselves up to vitriol in their own Discord because their free volunteer project is failing.

They know the servers are hosed, they don't need 1000 people telling them why it's a moral failing that their servers are hosed and they should kill themselves for it.

sure. but then you get posts like this that are fantastic

The server smells a lot of fart, we're not going to lie to each other

They put in a 1000 player cap and it has not helped at all. The server is crashing over and over.

Why didn't they talk to uth and phx devs to find out ways to fix this?

ded fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 4, 2022

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Uthred posted:

Tomorrow the website will be migrated to another server, a couple hours of downtime are expected.

Phoenix incoming. Kind of wild it's been a year.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eden announced alpha opens 8/20

https://eden-daoc.net/

highlights:

rr skill caps

quote:

You will still earn your realm points, no matter what, but the maximum amount of Realm Skill Points you are able to spend will be limited based on the Realm Skill Point cap release schedule. For the first month of the server, the Realm Skill Point cap will be 3L9 or 200k RPs. Every week after that, the cap will be increased by 200k. Any Realm Points earned beyond the cap will still count towards your overall realm rank, but the Realm Skill Points available to spend and the +skill will be limited to the current cap.

and seasons - tldr if population drops, theyre gonna level1 everybody and reset the rp skill cap but you keep your rps

i'm really excited

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Phoenix announced today they're relaunching with seasons.

https://playphoenix.online/season2-announcement

Phoenix posted:

Hello everyone,

After a hiatus that lasted for almost a full year we are excited to announce that the Phoenix will rise once more.

TL;DR: Seasons

Fixed "progression like" timeline with known changes upfront, otherwise bug fixes / events only within a season.
Season duration is 6 - 9 months (after M6 up to 3 votes).
Setting for Season 2 is still a work in progress, basic summary: more cohesive PHX 2021 version.
Beta Soon™; Launch late 2022 or early 2023.
Work on a new game has started.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

quote:

2) Assassins and Archer can’t receive XP or RP at all until 30 days after launch, effectively disabling them until then.
This allows you to create the character beforehand and hence save the name etc.
The reason is literally genuine curiosity what the effects of no stealthers are, especially on small man / solos, while still having them later on.

A month of bliss.

This sound interesting for sure.

edit : minstrels will still be a terror tho

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

gently caress Phoenix then!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they hosed up by not snipping out minstrels, but there's no practical way to

anyways STILL GOING TO EDEN

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Will certainly be interesting to see how stuff plays out server pop wise. Didn't know Eden was starting that quickly I'll definitely play to get a character or two going.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Forgot this thread was a thing.. someone made the mistake of letting me know about atlas so of course I rolled some characters on Hib.

Server has absolutely been rocky as all hell, but maybe they finally fixed the endless lag spikes..? Maybe this time?

I’ll probably roll on Phoenix when that opens, I’ve been out of the loop on daoc free shards, so I’m unaware of how long to expect these servers to be active before they get shutdown.. I’m having fun though.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Forgot this thread was a thing.. someone made the mistake of letting me know about atlas so of course I rolled some characters on Hib.

Server has absolutely been rocky as all hell, but maybe they finally fixed the endless lag spikes..? Maybe this time?

I’ll probably roll on Phoenix when that opens, I’ve been out of the loop on daoc free shards, so I’m unaware of how long to expect these servers to be active before they get shutdown.. I’m having fun though.

Both Phoenix and Celestius had really solid (and by that I mean 3+ month) runs. Their new incarnations should actually be pretty slick with seasons, HOWEVER, the aforementioned handshake agreement (or weird coincidence) of single existence will be in jeopardy. Phoenix lacks certain later classes and MLs, where Celestius embraced them. They've both got upsides for various players which probably threatens a pretty strong split - something that's not good for a DAOC freeshard.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Eden (aka celestius 2.0) will have no MLs, no artifacts, but will have champ levels (this is good actually, you can get cure disease and little DoTs and stuff, but nothing that really shifts the power dynamic). A lot of people are sour on the Phoenix admins and they are doing some weird experiments (like no spellcrafting for the first 2 weeks and no stealthers for the first month); eden will be a more straightforward play. The RR cap/seasons systems on both are roughly interchangeable except Phoenix is going to wipe you if you aren't rr5 at new-season time, which is the one thing they shouldn't do. The goal should be to bring super high RR 12hour-a-day players down, not to penalize casuals.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you want literally four hours of all the BG leaders just having a summit and talking about which shard people like, which ones theyre nervous about, etc, i've got your afternoon podcast (1.25x speed is recommended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wokdQ7atiTk

Spoiler: most of the big movers are hot on eden, lukewarm on phoenix, ice cold on Atlas

it's good to hear polemo, pilz, and LT talking poo poo and hashing things out. Eden devs have welcomed input from the big BG leaders as to what people like or hate.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

Phoenix ran for like 3 years until they shut down last August I believe. Then Celestius was launched to gather up the Phoenix refugees and had a high pop for roughly 2-3 months but died relatively quickly.

Celestius relaunching as Eden in August, Phoenix coming back late 2022 or January 2023 latest.

Phoenix and Eden both trying out seasons, to try and prevent the standard freeshard life cycle of hype launch and slowly/quickly dying after months. Phoenix said covid lockdowns gave the server the population boost needed to keep it running.

Definitely interested in how it will play out, I'll get on Eden & Phoenix for sure.
I always level a Healer first and then feel too poo poo to actually 8man so think I need to roll a Shaman or SM for Mid first.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 28, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Up to 901 alchemy and have a 44 bard, 50 ment, 35 druid. Atlas has been fun. Any Hib goons in a decent guild or know the scene? My group of friends has been eyeing conclave of shadows as a possible home.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We could play all the servers and pick a different realm for each. Not like leveling takes that long on these.

I am sort of curious how no spellcrafting and stealthers would go. But, I still really want to play an assassin or archer from some server launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well the thing is, it's not gonna be no stealthers unless they disable/nerf minstrels. so we're gonna see some stupid imbalance thing where people piss and whine about 8minst stealth groups jacking solos in the first month.

and i say that as a pretty much career minstrel (when im playing on alb). its poorly thought out and dumb.