Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This testimony from the emergency January 6th committee hearing probably the only thing that might put some people in real legal jeopardy (beyond the potential fraud charges for the money) so far.

Even Trump's former Chief of Staff is throwing everyone else under the bus after hearing it.

https://twitter.com/MickMulvaney/status/1541844207974899714
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1541843197781065730

So far, she has testified and they have provided NSC transcripts that were previously secret.

- Trump tried to lead the march to the Capitol, but Secret Service stopped him. He pushed the agents out of the way and tried to grab Special Agent Robert Engel (who was driving The Beast) by the neck and get him to turn around, but they still stopped him.

Bonus: According to the transcripts, Trump's secret service codename was "Mogul" lol

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1541843014477398019
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1541847643860733962

- Secret Service and Capitol Police received reports that at least 4 people were armed with AR-15s and dressed in camo approaching the Capitol. Trump tried to order the Capitol Police to let them in regardless:

quote:

“I don't loving care that they have weapons. They're not here to hurt me. Take the loving mags away. Let my people in. They can march to the Capitol from here. Let the people in. Take the loving mags away."

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1541840789373915139

quote:

Trump had shattered a porcelain plate against the wall as he erupted in anger after Bill Barr told the AP that there was no widespread fraud in the election.

There was a shattered porcelain plate on the floor. The valet had articulated that the president was extremely angry at the Attorney General's AP interview and had thrown his lunch against the wall.

- Trump's lawyer told Trump not to go to the Capitol and for every staffer to refuse to go there because they could be charged with "every crime imaginable."

quote:

WH lawyer Cipollone told her on Jan. 6 to not let Trump go to the Capitol because “we’re going to get charged with every crime imaginable,” including defrauding the electoral count or obstruction.

- She confirmed the numerous reports that Trump prevented the National Guard from being deployed and the Secretary of Defense, Mike Pence, and Nancy Pelosi eventually arranged for them to deployed without Trump's knowledge.

- Trump said, "Mike deserves whatever he gets" when told that Pence was still in the Capitol.

Testimony is still going on and they are reading NSC transcripts that Trump ordered to be kept in a personal safe instead of putting in the archives.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Definitely a chill, stable guy that it was okay to allow control the nuclear arsenal.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Astro7x posted:

Between this an Nancy Pelosi assaulting a child, I just can't deal with these types of people anymore

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1541587709231333376

Raised By Birds posted:

quote:

EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH NANCY IS A ILLEGITIMATE EXTREMIST

Nancy Pelosi is trying to elbow Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas out of the picture.

Her Democrats are repeating the line, “The Supreme Court is “Illegitimate.” Why it is suddenly illegitimate is unclear. Their ruling on Roe V. Wade is perfectly logical and understandable. They’re allowing the decision to be made by people residing in the individual states. How is that a bad thing? Power to the people!

The Democrats don’t like this. They’ve become the party of death. Oh sure, Nancy will claim she loves children (as she elbows them away from a photo shoot), but in reality she supports the murder of millions of unborn children. Nancy and Dementia Joe have even talked about creating abortion clinics on Federal land within states with abortion bans. That way the women there can have their babies killed—probably at taxpayer expense.

If you peruse the headlines, you’ll see the Marxist media are focused on attacking Justice Thomas. They all say he is conducting a ‘radical reign’ at the Supreme Court. Never mind the others that voted to overturn Roe V. Wade. The Democrats and corporate media are conducting a high-tech lynching of Thomas. Why? Because he’s black. They can’t have a powerful black man not agreeing with them, so they hurl racist epithets his way. It’s disgraceful, but not surprising. The Democrats were the party of slavery, KKK, and racial bigotry. They currently celebrate and worship a drug-addled thug named George Floyd, but they mercilessly condemn and harass Thomas, a man of distinction, intellect, and great accomplishments.

Pelosi has even accused Clarence Thomas’ wife, Ginni, for being part of the January 6 protest. Only Nancy calls it a ‘coup.’ She wants Thomas to resign because of it. If anyone should resign, it’s Nancy Pelosi. Not only did she and her husband use insider trading to become fabulously rich, she’s also attacking our third branch of government and calling for the impeachment of Thomas. (Is she impeachment happy or what?)

That looks a little “insurrectiony” to me…

The Democrats have become the party of death, lawfare, corruption, and tyranny. They are the real insurrectionists.

— Ben Garrison

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember pre-2016 discussions along the lines of "what would the secret service do if one candidate physically attacked another?" and I guess it's comforting to know the SS has no problem corralling or restraining a president for their own good

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Astro7x posted:

Between this an Nancy Pelosi assaulting a child, I just can't deal with these types of people anymore

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1541587709231333376

The child lost all teeth. Nancy put one on her necklace and went back to nosferatu HQ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Have we discussed Trump whipping a burger at the wall in anger?

Donald Trump threw a big mac at the wall.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They seized the phone of a DOJ official Trump appointed right before the election and found evidence that multiple people - including Rudy, Mark Meadows, and many of Trump's senior staff - requested secret pardons.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1541857288075591682

People working for Trump have also been contacting witnesses and telling them not to cooperate with any law enforcement or the committee.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This one is extremely witness tamper-y.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ghislaine Maxwell has been sentenced to 20 years in prison, which is likely to represent most if not all of the remainder of her life (one way or another :tinfoil:)

https://apnews.com/article/ghislaine-maxwell-jeffrey-epstein-sentencing-aeac127f9cc3811d975ce8e10d171260

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

America Inc. posted:

Is it fair to say that the Republicans are conservatives that want to go back to 1950, and the Democrats are conservatives that want to go back to 1990?

"1950s" only gets thrown around by republicans because that's when most of them were kids or in their early 20s and can look back with rose-tinted glasses.

Policy wise, they really want to go back to the 1880s, where capital reigned supreme and there wasn't even a pretense of civil or worker rights to pay lip service to, and there was no such thing as accountability for anyone in power.

Most modern democrats would probably prefer the 1980s or early 2000s. Times of relative prosperity with a strong conservative figurehead that conditioned the masses to not rock the boat or expect much from government beyond "keeping them safe" from an imagined enemy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

Throwing a Big Mac on a porcelain plate against the wall is funny and all but him lunging at his Secret Service driver from the backseat of Cadillac One and trying to physically commandeer the car and then trying to strangle a member of the Secret Service before he was retrained and driven back to the White House while screaming and struggling in a fit of combative rage is probably the more important thing to be highlighting here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well it is kinda funny, and him getting laughed at for whipping a Big Mac at the wall is closer to consequences for his actions than anything else that's going to come out of January 6th.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Throwing a Big Mac on a porcelain plate against the wall is funny and all but him lunging at his Secret Service driver from the backseat of Cadillac One and trying to physically commandeer the car and then trying to strangle a member of the Secret Service before he was retrained and driven back to the White House while screaming and struggling in a fit of combative rage is probably the more important thing to be highlighting here.

Yeah, I'm pretty jaded on the whole 1/6 stuff but no matter the outcome I'll appreciate the laugh I got from imagining Trump pulling the wheel like a little child.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Flynn pleading the fifth when asked if he believes in a peaceful transition of power wasn't something I expected to see today.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

January 6th turned out to be like the time in the 1960's when we accidentally dropped a live nuclear bomb in North Carolina.

Through a combination of sheer luck, incompetence that accidentally prevented a worst case scenario, and a bunch of people initially not following through because they were nervous about getting in trouble, they narrowly avoided disaster.

I'm not sure where the Secret Service agent getting choked by the President and then having the President be restrained so he couldn't go to the Capitol fits into the metaphor, though.

Or the hamburger on the wall.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think it's important like the insurrection itself to not get too caught up in the violence so much as the intent. It is hosed up he tried to strangle the dude, but the bigger story is Trump fully intended to lead his chud army into the Capital even when cooler heads tried to prevent him and even when being physically stopped from doing so.

Focusing on the violence itself is how you get apologists and useful idiots downplaying the attack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Splat Heard 'Round The World

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty jaded on the whole 1/6 stuff but no matter the outcome I'll appreciate the laugh I got from imagining Trump pulling the wheel like a little child.

I’m just picturing that part in the “showing you how the heist went down” montage at the end of Ocean’s Twelve where they stage a fight on the train and everyone has to be awkwardly restrained while still trying to flailingly fight each other.

That. But a with a 73 year old morbidly obese dementia patient.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The big story: Donald Trump quite literally ordered security to stand down and allow people with weapons into the capitol to slaughter members of congress and the senate for not handing him the election. He then ordered people with veiled threats not to participate in the investigation into that fact.

The bigger story: they bought Trump McDonald's to get him to calm down but he got mad and threw it at the wall.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is the least damning thing about the testimony and documents today, but I think this text from the head of the office of the first lady to Melania Trump in the middle of the riot is almost as funny as the hamburger:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bob Woodward kept his interview with Trump in February 2020, where Trump admitted he knew Covid was airborne and that it was deadlier than the flu, a secret until almost a year later when he released his book.

He's now on CNN saying that he had interviewed at least one other person who had said the same things as Cassidy Hutchinson, but didn't put it in his book "Rage" because only one other person had told him, but now he thinks he might put what he had into his next book.

Bob, it feels like your standards are slipping a little since breaking Watergate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump's former Chief of Staff just throwing everybody under the bus.

https://twitter.com/MickMulvaney/status/1541854665981173764
https://twitter.com/MickMulvaney/status/1541857669882970114
https://twitter.com/MickMulvaney/status/1541858206720434179
https://twitter.com/MickMulvaney/status/1541860220875554822
https://twitter.com/MickMulvaney/status/1541865971593396226

As a reminder, Mick Mulvaney was the author of this extremely accurate Wall Street Journal Op-Ed two months before January:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah lowkey the coverup and witness intimidation is a really loving big deal and it shines an interesting light on the recent direction the doj investigation has taken.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the least damning thing about the testimony and documents today, but I think this text from the head of the office of the first lady to Melania Trump in the middle of the riot is almost as funny as the hamburger:

Yeah, the insanely long business texts followed by "no" is another really funny thing that keeps happening in these reveals

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah lowkey the coverup and witness intimidation is a really loving big deal and it shines an interesting light on the recent direction the doj investigation has taken.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The Jan 6th thread is TVIV and more suitable for this kind of chat. Not directed solely at you, but please keep posts itt more substantive. If you want to chat more loosely and shitpost, the TVIV thread is the place for that and it's plenty active right now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

u know that this is the largest doj investigation in the history of the us right

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

A former D&D mod did the same on his last day, nbd.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Fritz the Horse posted:

The Jan 6th thread is TVIV and more suitable for this kind of chat. Not directed solely at you, but please keep posts itt more substantive. If you want to chat more loosely and shitpost, the TVIV thread is the place for that and it's plenty active right now.

got it, sorry

u know that this is the largest doj investigation in the history of the us right

yeah I remember the Mueller report being a really big deal too

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

got it, sorry

yeah I remember the Mueller report being a really big deal too

And how did trump do in 2020?

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020

And how did trump do in 2020?

I'm not sure I would attribute any outcome of 2020, regardless of framing, to Mueller's investigation. It seems like COVID, for example, was probably a much bigger motivator of outcome. I don't remember any discussion about Mueller at all during 2020; I don't think it was very front-of-mind for people heading into the voting booth.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Accubitus posted:

I'm not sure I would attribute any outcome of 2020, regardless of framing, to Mueller's investigation. It seems like COVID, for example, was probably a much bigger motivator of outcome. I don't remember any discussion about Mueller at all during 2020; I don't think it was very front-of-mind for people heading into the voting booth.

I'm suggesting that things do matter to trump and am using the fact that he couldn't win an election against the most boring, uninspiring candidate the dems have ever run as evidence.

If trump was immune to consequences, he would be president right now. Hell, there wouldn't be hearings right now about how he choked a secret service driver.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

You know he's done all sorts of poo poo but didn't see any consequences and nearly got a 2nd term, right?

Mueller report indicted dozens of people. Most people, even on this board, remember it as a nothingburger.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

You know he's done all sorts of poo poo but didn't see any consequences and nearly got a 2nd term, right?

Mueller report indicted dozens of people. Most people, even on this board, remember it as a nothingburger.

Yeah, dozens. This is around 900 currently and doj keeps seizing all the electronics of the main people trump was planning 1/6 with.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jaxyon posted:

Yes, and that's "nearly" an argument in your favor. You can't say something almost happening, but ultimately not, is evidence on your side.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eric Adams has a broken clock moment

quote:

“I think the district attorney, he has the wrong person that he’s investigating,” Mr. Adams said, during an unrelated media availability in Harlem. “To falsely report a crime is a crime. If that video wasn’t there, then this person would have been charged with punching the former mayor.”

Mr. Adams said he was talking to the police commissioner, Keechant Sewell, about whether Mr. Giuliani’s actions themselves constituted a crime.

“When you look at the video, the guy basically walked by and patted him on the back,” Mr. Adams said. “It was clear that he was not punched in the head. It was clear that it didn’t feel like a bullet. It was clear that he wasn’t about to fall to the ground.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

quote:

Washington (CNN)A Democratic super PAC has made multiple false claims about Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert while pushing unproven allegations that the right-wing Colorado congresswoman has had abortions and formerly worked as an escort, all of which Boebert vehemently denies.

American Muckrakers PAC co-founder David Wheeler acknowledged to CNN that the super PAC had been "sloppy" and had published "inaccuracies" on its anti-Boebert website, though he said it remains confident in the "main points of the story." His comments came after CNN reporting found that the super PAC had made at least five false statements about Boebert, along with a series of uncorroborated assertions that Boebert says are false and that CNN could neither immediately confirm nor immediately debunk.

In emails this week and in a Thursday interview, Wheeler conceded that the super PAC was wrong when it insisted a photo of another woman posing on a bed is a photo of Boebert, was wrong when it claimed Boebert initially failed to disclose a campaign contribution from Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, was wrong to suggest Cruz had made big contributions to Boebert's campaign immediately after she started running in her first primary, was wrong about the date of a Boebert vehicle accident, and was wrong when it published a claim that Boebert had an abortion "in the fall of 2004" -- at most six months before she gave birth to a son in March 2005.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

Yes, and that's "nearly" an argument in your favor. You can't say something almost happening, but ultimately not, is evidence on your side.

sure you can, it's not black and white. Trump lost Wisconsin, Georgia, and Arizona by a combined 43,000 votes. If those states had gone to him, it would have been a tie and gone to the republican led house of representatives

I hope you can understand how this has different implications than if Trump lost in a blowout

Taiko
Jul 13, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

The saddest part is that it was probably a really nice burger that someone who works in the White House Mess had done a really good job of cooking. "Well I know he likes it well done, but that doesn't mean there can't be flavor," the person said as they made the patty, seasoned it, and cooked it with care. Then it was carried upstairs and what happened happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Taiko posted:

The saddest part is that it was probably a really nice burger that someone who works in the White House Mess had done a really good job of cooking. "Well I know he likes it well done, but that doesn't mean there can't be flavor," the person said as they made the patty, seasoned it, and cooked it with care. Then it was carried upstairs and what happened happened.

I thought he only ate literal McDonalds and Burger King tho